Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default first sniff hate? Did you ever learn to like it?

I blind bought Furyo and first sniff it was the only fragrance so far that I hate.

It was like the worst strong 1980s recall scent.

But maybe I'll get to like it...has that ever happened to you?

Default Re: first sniff hate? Did you ever learn to like it?

I really did not like Louis Vuitton Nouveau Monde when it was first sprayed on my skin by an SA the local boutique. It did not make any sense to me. A few hours later, though, I couldn't get enough of it.

Now it's my most worn of the year.

(L'Immensite, however, I still don't get.)
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    But maybe I'll get to like it...has that ever happened to you?
    Not that I can recall.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

No, I can’t think of anything I wound up liking that I hated.

I can’t think of a reason I would want to.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Rocabar by Hermès

Hate? No.

I did have complete apathy toward Bleu de Chanel the first time I tried it in a store. A few years later, I ordered a sample from the Perfumed Court just to round out an order, and it was instant love. Had to run out and buy a bottle that day.

I am guessing if you hate it now, you will probably always hate it. I have kept hundreds of samples (and a few dozen bottles) of things I didn't like for years thinking I would possibly come around. Nope.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Creed - Royal Oud
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Let's Dance

Can’t think of any.

Never, as far as I can recall.
    Currently wearing: Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

I’ve been indifferent to some then ended up loving them. Can’t think of any I hated but did a 180. But it is worth revisiting your bottle later just in case.

Dior Homme Parfum

Nope, too much iris for me.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Byredo M/Mink. Hated it immediately after first spray....now i kind of like it in a weird way. its not something i wear very often and i definitely dont love it. but every once in awhile...

Joop Homme among others-possibly because meanwhile there might have been at least one reformulation.
    Did not like it at all upon first discovering it, but lately it seems more mellowed down, more tolerable, less offensive to become if not fairly enjoyable at least enough to garner a benevolently neutral to mildly positive (personal) feedback towards it.
    Currently wearing: 1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

Basenotes Plus

Yes, smelled both Silver Mountain Water and Green Irish Tweed on test strips at NM and I said no way. After getting samples and wearing them, I love both of them.

Theres no recovering from flat out hate

Quote Originally Posted by DEdestroyer77 View Post
    Theres no recovering from flat out hate
    That’s my concern.

Not quite hate, but initial I strongly disliked Black Vetiver by Phaedon. I detected a strong accord of "chlorine" like a swimming pool.

However...I gave it a few tries and at some point my nose finally broke apart the chlorine scent into pepper and lemon accords. I don't know how it happened, but my nose distinguished what I had first recognized as a single unpleasant fragrance as two separate very nice accords. I no longer get the chlorine at all and now, I love this juice.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Missing Oakmoss

I didn't hate it, but Jicky took some getting used to (that was back in the 1970s). Now I love it.

Basenotes Plus

Yeah, kind of. Went from a I guess dislike (or so) to a love. Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Homme. If you don't like this one, but you haven't tried it on skin ... then try it on skin!
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

There’s only one that I hated at first sniff but came to love after a few wears, and now the par that I hated—the opening—is the part I love most. That fragrance is Caron Pour Un Homme. I didn’t like its sharp, astringent opening lavender accord. Now I love it.
    Current Top Ten: 1) Spice & Wood 2) Royal Oud 3) Invasion Barbare 4) Cedrat Boise 5) Dior Homme 6) Terre d'Hermes Parfum 7) Egoiste 8) Tabac Rouge 9) Green Irish Tweed 10) Baccarat Rouge

The only one in my wardrobe that I initially 'hated' but kept smelling when at the counter and learned to like is Dior Sauvage.

Basenotes Plus

I have definitely come to love several scents (Cuir de Russie, MKK, Mitsouko) that confused me at first and smelled disagreeable to me at first sniff--although that was early on in my fragrance experience.

This is a great thread. I think excellent frags are like excellent songs. Sometimes one has to smell or hear them a few times to fully register how you aesthetically feel about them. Personally, I did not like Aventus or GIT at first sniff. I also found Jazz Club to be average. Now all three are easily tops for me atm.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by 7thDayAventus View Post
    This is a great thread. I think excellent frags are like excellent songs. Sometimes one has to smell or hear them a few times to fully register how you aesthetically feel about them. Personally, I did not like Aventus or GIT at first sniff. I also found Jazz Club to be average. Now all three are easily tops for me atm.
    Good analogy. This happens to me with music - at first it may seem 'okay' or kind of boring, but I also don't know what direction the song is going. On repeat listens, I know more and more of what to expect and notice more intricacies in the music.

Some of my favorite songs were like this, with maybe bands like Soilwork / Solution .45. At first it may seem, 'okay', but then later on become literal goosebumps worthy.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

One of the few, if any, that comes to mind is Grey Flannel. I blind bought it early on in the hobby, and I can still remember how repulsed I was by it immediately after spraying it on paper. It reminded me of moth balls. I think at least a couple years went by until I dared to wear it on skin. I can't say I ever loved it, but I did like it after wearing it on skin a few times. I wound up getting rid of that bottle earlier this year though. Just not something I would ever like enough to wear very often.

Interesting....Also blind bought a bottle of Furyo a year and a half ago.
    Did not like it.
    Have never tried to smell it again.
    So I guess my answer is no.

I blind bought (had sniffed on card) L'Heure Bleue as part of my fragrance education, and hated it at first. I made myself wear it every day for a week and took notes. Even then I was not convinced. Persevered with it and discovered how to apply it to minimise the jasmine skank (mist, rather than spray). Now I wear it at night from time to time; find it quite soothing.
    December Rotation : Penhaligon's Elixir; Caron Yatagan; Etro Vetiver, Ambra, Gomma, Heliotrope; CdG Avignon, Zagorsk; Robert Piguet Casbah; Lalique Encre Noire; Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme; Jacomo de Jacomo, Boucheron Jaipur
    Sampling : Lutens Fille En Aiguilles......

Basenotes Junkie

Did not care for Angel Men at launch, but I was 13 which is probably why... I also took a while for the Dior Homme line to grow on me. Nowadays I my nose is more mature and can appreciate a much wider variety of scents.

I don't think I've gone from hate to like. But love to apathy, yes. And I've gone from apathy to love too.
    In rotation: YSL PH HC, Devin, Aramis 900, Halston 1-12, CdNIM, Helmut Lang Cologne, et al.

Sort of.

The first time I tried Ralph Lauren Polo I remember thinking, "yuck, what the heck is this supposed to be? Who would want to buy something like that?"
    Bear in mind I was barely 20 at the time and the scents I owned and wore most were Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey PH, Calvin Klein Contradiction and D&G Pour Homme. I'd also worn Joop for a while as a teenager. I thought the bottle looked good though.

Fast forward about 7-8 years and I tried it again and thought it was great.

I was repulsed by Vero Onda - I ended up loving it.

Montale Cuir d'Arabie was probably the only one - i don't recall under what circumstance or state of mind i smelled it, but a month or so later, with cooler temps, I tried and it was awesome - ended up ordering the bottle that same night.
    Currently wearing: Idole de Lubin by Lubin