Code of Conduct

Default Disposable Pipettes

Not sure how this is in the rest of the world, but in the UK right now there is a very concerted effort to cut down on the production of disposable 'unethical' plastic items, namely drinking straws or one use items that are paper/metal etc. This has got me thinking about disposable pipettes.

I know that I can go through 100 pipettes in the space of a day or two, and it begs the question of the amount of waste that this amounts to over the course of a year, and the cost saving alone.

Given that cleaning pipettes between use in alcohol is a no-no for cross contamination of oils (and the last thing that I want to do is ruin a lovely Pell Wall kit - thanks btw Chris), then what is the solution?

Would the reuse of disposable pipettes be acceptable? I had an idea the other day to stick an elastic band around the bottle and slide a pipette down it to keep it matched to the AC/EO bottle in question. Question is, would this have any effect on blends if reusing in this way over time?

Default Re: Disposable Pipettes

If you search the DIY forum for Pipette you will see there have been many creative ways of dealing with this issue. Have a look for instance at this thread.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/440...e-tiny-amounts

The easiest method is to use glass dropper caps for each of your bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by vitali View Post
    Not sure how this is in the rest of the world, but in the UK right now there is a very concerted effort to cut down on the production of disposable 'unethical' plastic items, namely drinking straws or one use items that are paper/metal etc. This has got me thinking about disposable pipettes.

I know that I can go through 100 pipettes in the space of a day or two, and it begs the question of the amount of waste that this amounts to over the course of a year, and the cost saving alone.

Given that cleaning pipettes between use in alcohol is a no-no for cross contamination of oils (and the last thing that I want to do is ruin a lovely Pell Wall kit - thanks btw Chris), then what is the solution?

Would the reuse of disposable pipettes be acceptable? I had an idea the other day to stick an elastic band around the bottle and slide a pipette down it to keep it matched to the AC/EO bottle in question. Question is, would this have any effect on blends if reusing in this way over time?

Its a cost issue as well... at least for my part. I prefer to use my money on materials. I do what i saw in a youtube video with some woman in the states, you take a large pipette tip, dip it in melted candle wax. This seals the end. Then you put this in a pipette box. Now you have a pipette "rack". I mark the pipette and the tip with the name on the material it is supposed to be used for. I filled up a box quite quick. So now im expanding the system.

This is what i use for my testing and diluted material evaluation. When i grab material from the "master" bottle i usually pour it into its new bottle.

I can send you a photo if you dont understand what i mean...

Quote Originally Posted by julian35 View Post
    If you search the DIY forum for Pipette you will see there have been many creative ways of dealing with this issue. Have a look for instance at this thread.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/440...e-tiny-amounts

The easiest method is to use glass dropper caps for each of your bottles.
    I've used glass droppers for my bottles, but beware of evaporation for anything that contains alcohol... my orris butter (@10% alc.) was completely dried out the other day. Luckily the my alpha irone bottle was filled to the same level and I've used them equally, so I eye-balled the volume to replace. It isn't a leak proof seal.

Thanks for the replies. I'd be interested in seeing your method Aldara. I may switch to a combination of a few methods including the glass dropper caps on anything non alcohol as runstile has pointed out.

I'm afraid I use about 10k pipette tips per year; meaning about 3kg of polypropylene which I recycle. I feel quite bad about it but I don't really see a reasonable way to avoid it. I tried glass droppers but the materials diffuse through them and eventually corrode them sometimes leading to ingredient contamination. I estimated I would have to replace 500 of them per year which doesn't seem such a great improvement. I have some 1k materials stocked.

I also use Pasteur disposable plastic pipettes, but I make them reusable. I buy not wide tubes and sign each of them and use it as a holder for one of the disposable pipettes, which I work with this specified ingredient. Thus, you can change these pipettes only as needed.IMG_20181206_215831.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by vitali View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'd be interested in seeing your method Aldara. I may switch to a combination of a few methods including the glass dropper caps on anything non alcohol as runstile has pointed out.
    Im principally doing the same as Dmitry.

20181206_214522.jpg
    20181206_214546.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Aldara View Post
    Im principally doing the same as Dmitry.

20181206_214522.jpg
    20181206_214546.jpg
    That's an interesting idea! But what about dust and the risk of contaminating your essential oils? Is there a way to avoid that? I'd love to try a similar setup!

Quote Originally Posted by FleetingDream View Post
    That's an interesting idea! But what about dust and the risk of contaminating your essential oils? Is there a way to avoid that? I'd love to try a similar setup!
    I think dust is my least challenge at this level. There is always a risk that i take the wrong pipette into the wrong bottle, but then it will be with a bottle with diluted material and not that big a deal.

I have developed my own sort of procedure when i am mixing. First thing i do is to write everything down. All the materials i want to use and roughly in what proportion. Then when it is time to move the material from the bottle to the glass i am mixing in, i check and double check that the pipette is the one for the material, that the material is the one on the list .. and so on. I try to enter a state of chronic unease, checking up on everything i do.

Quote Originally Posted by FleetingDream View Post
    There is no problem with this. Each composition after it has been fully assembled is aged for a certain (month) time and undergoes mandatory filtration before spilling into bottles. Each pipette, after I add the necessary material to the mixing glass, I immediately (every time) returns to his signed holder.I have not had a single case when I to jumble pipettes))

Blog Entries

And what about microbial contamimation? Your pipettes will be exposed to microbial contamination and when you will dip it again in vanilla absolute or some precious eo, bacteria will replicate in the bottles, it will be a health risk and they will spoil oils!

Quote Originally Posted by pobepto View Post
    And what about microbial contamimation? Your pipettes will be exposed to microbial contamination and when you will dip it again in vanilla absolute or some precious eo, bacteria will replicate in the bottles, it will be a health risk and they will spoil oils!
    I can only answer about my mixing methods. I work only with diluted materials in alcohol with 10%, 20%, or 1% some and 5% in ethanol. Do you think someone there can survive at an alcohol concentration of 90% .. ?? And then I do not think at all that aromatic chemicals, and especially natural extracts, are a good breeding ground for bacteria. Quite the contrary, there many of them are strong antiseptics in their own right. For example almost all essential oils, benzoin, peru balm, cinnamon, cloves, etc.

All of my glass droppers are used in my organ made up of 15 ml bottles. 800+ materials. All materials are at least 10% dilution in Ethanol. I have not noticed any fluid loss or degradation of the bulb or seal. I use silicon bulbs not rubber (100% Lavender will eat right through rubber for example.) It really pains me to use a pipette once and then toss it, so I use them only when doing final composition at 100% and then throw them away. We recycle all plastic here so it does not go into landfill.
    Dmitriy I think you have come up with an excellent solution to the problem of wasteful pipettes. My only concern with keeping used pipettes around is the combined smell "polluting" the lab. I am sure you rinse them all in alcohol before putting them in their respective holder.

20181206_214546.jpg

Hi Aldara .. what size is this ? I found some nice racks, but not sure of the sizes. It looks like 1000 uL (?)
    Om Ah Ra Pa Tsa Na Dhi

Basenotes Plus

Thanks everyone for this thread. Now that I am arranging my materials, I have been trying to figure out how to cope with this. I have disposable pipettes which I hope to reuse, and some dropper tops. I plan to work with material diluted in dpg so that I can learn the aromas more easily, but have not settled on the simplest way to keep pipettes in order. The different options everyone has shared are very helpful for me this week.

There are some materials that I think will always need a disposable: after pulling all the little bottles out of the plastic shoeboxes I had them in and putting them on shelves, when I go into my little studio, the force of para cresyl phenyl acetate is strong and has not even been opened yet! Maybe I will banish that and a couple others to the garden shed where it can mingle with the donkeys that live next door HaHa!

Tina
    Currently wearing: Obsession by Calvin Klein

Quote Originally Posted by Vuardhu View Post
    Hi Aldara .. what size is this ? I found some nice racks, but not sure of the sizes. It looks like 1000 uL (?)
    Thats correct ... 1000uL dipped in candle wax to seal the tip. I picked up the box from a relative witch works in a lab. They got plenty of them. Have a bag with 500 tips picked up on ebay for a nickle. :-)
    Last edited by Aldara; 8th December 2018 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Remove pics & typo

Quote Originally Posted by pecancorner View Post
    Thanks everyone for this thread. Now that I am arranging my materials, I have been trying to figure out how to cope with this. I have disposable pipettes which I hope to reuse, and some dropper tops. I plan to work with material diluted in dpg so that I can learn the aromas more easily, but have not settled on the simplest way to keep pipettes in order. The different options everyone has shared are very helpful for me this week.

There are some materials that I think will always need a disposable: after pulling all the little bottles out of the plastic shoeboxes I had them in and putting them on shelves, when I go into my little studio, the force of para cresyl phenyl acetate is strong and has not even been opened yet! Maybe I will banish that and a couple others to the garden shed where it can mingle with the donkeys that live next door HaHa!

Tina
    The only material that has been bugging me is the Birch Tar, witch i consider to be nearly nuclear. That bottle is hidden in its own little box. :-P

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Aldara View Post
    The only material that has been bugging me is the Birch Tar, witch i consider to be nearly nuclear. That bottle is hidden in its own little box. :-P
    Haha! Once I get everything diluted, it may all have to go back into the plastic shoe boxes. I like your & Dmitriy's systems with the pipettes, I think something like that will work fine for me.

Thanks all, I second pecancorner - those systems looks great & I'll look in to a set up to reduce my pipette consumption.

Don't mention Birch Tar by the way - I spilt a quarter bottle of it at weekend all over a carpet! Saying it stinks is an understatement!

Basenotes Plus

Vitali, ya'll are making me skeert of Birch Tar LOL I'm so sorry for your accident - I hope the carpet can be salvaged! There is another funny old thread somewhere around here in which someone tells of making the mistake of pouring norlimbanol down his sink! Yikes!

Another happy accident, I ran across this cool article featuring some helpful Basenote perfumers from the UK. This picture is of sweet Mumsy - note that she is using those pipette tips taped to the bottles as sort of holsters it looks like. Let's see if I can put the photo here without breaking something:
    Mumsy with pipettes 5720475.jpg