Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: In my opinion if you like a fragrance you should wear it .

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I agree completely.

I disagree.

Some scents smell dated to me without a doubt. Some smell more feminine, some smell more playful, some smell more natural.

However, if you smell like an old lady to some people, and you can live with that, then you certainly should wear it. It's all about why you are wearing it, and what image you are trying to put across, if any.
    I agree with these comments. It's all down to social constructs though, we expect that musky Old Spice-like smell from older people and florals from women due to our past experiences and formed prejudices.

Fragrances are used for two purposes: 1. Your own self-enjoyment and 2. To please others. Some are only concerned about number one, some more about number two, and some about both. I've had to sell some of my favourite fragrances because my wife finds them "too sweet" and since I am around her most of the time, I have to be aware of her sensitivities (I'm still waiting for an opportunity to wear the remaining MFK BR540 Extrait that I have ).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    My complaint in this context involves those who write reviews talking about how great a scent is, and yet it doesn't seem they often wear any one scent, and usually they just seem to be referring to top notes anyway. I've pointed this out about Luca Turin, who claims to mostly wear only two or three fragrances, from what I understand, yet how can he then review hundreds of fragrances? Sure, if you just want his opinion about what a scent smells like for a few seconds, after being sprayed on paper, that's fine, but it's certainly not much use to me! Thus, I think this should be disclosed/explained to his readers. And in the past, I also wrote about anonymous online reviewers, whom I called "niche samplers," because that's all they seemed to do, which again is fine but not all that useful for me (I need at least three regular wearings spaced out over 2 or more weeks to get a full sense of a scent). Many of them seem to have become disappointed/frustrated and then left the hobby, but they gave quite a few fragrances excellent reviews, so the obvious question (which I don't think any of them has ever answered) is, why not just enjoy those fragrances and stop sampling already?
    agree, you cannot review based on a sample it needs several full wearings, imo!

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    agree, you cannot review based on a sample it needs several full wearings, imo!
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    My complaint in this context involves those who write reviews talking about how great a scent is, and yet it doesn't seem they often wear any one scent, and usually they just seem to be referring to top notes anyway.
    This is my biggest gripe with what seems to be the majority YouTube reviewers. Some do it right, but often it's a quick squirt on paper. It's especially wrong when it's a video giving someone (usually a woman) ten strips to smell in succession and pick a favorite. It gets people to watch, though.

I've pointed this out about Luca Turin, who claims to mostly wear only two or three fragrances, from what I understand, yet how can he then review hundreds of fragrances?
    He obviously understands fragrances and I doubt he makes such judgments based on a quick squirt on paper. One can claim to mostly wear only a few fragrances, yet "wear" them for testing/rating purposes. I would bet that that's the case for him.

I agree. Mostly.

But there are also fragrances I like and appreciate that I won't wear. I mean I can admire a beautiful dress on a woman but that doesn't mean I'm going to wear it. Same thing with fragrances. But for the most part, I agree.
    Current Top Ten: 1) Spice & Wood 2) Royal Oud 3) Invasion Barbare 4) Cedrat Boise 5) Dior Homme 6) Terre d'Hermes Parfum 7) Egoiste 8) Tabac Rouge 9) Green Irish Tweed 10) Baccarat Rouge

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry2 View Post
    Here is what I mean.For example when reading about fragrances I often see terms like it's an "old man scent" or it is "dated" and other descriptions trying to put a fragrance down. Who cares.

Before reading about fragrances I never even heard of those terms.Point being if you like the scent of a certain fragrance and want to wear it,you should wear it. Ignore that type of nonsense.My opinion of course and I realize some people would disagree.
    I agree and disagree.
    If you like a fragrance, and why not wear it? Life is too short.

On the other hand, I think for some people, it's important to take into consideration whether or not a fragrance fits your personal look and style.

As far as "old man" and "dated" descriptors, I agree that people shouldn't let these descriptions affect their enjoyment of a fragrance.

If I didn't know Aramis was released in 1965, I would swear it was some daring new fragrance that just came out.
    You can't convince me that Drakkar Noir is a grandpa scent. To me, that's the scent of youth and vitality.
    And yet, yeah, I think Obsession and Pancaldi Concentree are what the Rich Uncle Pennybags types wear.
    Go figure.

I usually do - the one I still haven't yet worn when going out is Initio Absolute Aphrodisiac. I love it on myself, but I worry it may be too sweet and annoying to others. For an intimate evening I could see it being just fine, thnough.

can't argue with the logic

on the other hand, if you have terrible taste it sucks, e.g. i'm gonna wear big ugly clown trainers that look like bouncy castles on the end of my drainpipe jeans because I like the look

Agree. Collect and wear what you like.