Code of Conduct

Default Okoumal - dank cedar note

Hi,
    i am playing with Okoumal and whenever i combine it with amber and Musk ketone or Muscenone i get dank cedarwood note. I think it is due combination of powdery/animalic notes from musks and Okoumal. Please tell me how to make nice cedar note in combinaton with these powdery musks. I have tried ISO E super with similar results.

Milos.

Default Re: Okoumal - dank cedar note

Okumal is not a cedar note. It is also very strong. Iso e super is a cedar note but also a weak one with other facets. If you are trying to make better cedar you need better cedar materials. If these musks arent working might need to try others. I like to use okumal but it is so powerful and dry and weird that I like to make sure it is cut with other materials. Things that are alcoholic type or sweet or bitter green. But cut it!

I have a vintage perfume type recreation I did that has a hefty dose of Okumal but also .4 maltol, 1% vanilla, .2% phenylacetaldehyde, and 2% Oakwood co2 that smells like whiskey, I have other alcoholic ingredients and tonka. I did use some tonquitone for the animalic part but for the rest of the musks, I used clean things like galaxolide. All of it is there to play nice with the Okumal :P

Yes i agree,
    my fault - i have smelled all samples in unventilated room. After few days i have found that ISO E super does have weak "dank cedar" note which is in my mixture boosted by okoumal and ambroxan so i have replaced ISO E Super with Timbersilk and it looks promising.

Are you opposed to using Cedarwood oils? Lots to use there. You can also use Cedrol (soft, warm cedar) and cedarwood terpenes (more pencil shaving like). I've dosed them at 2:1 with nice effects, but I don't like cedar very "sharp".

You could also use Cedramber at traces instead of Okoumal, or in combination with. It pairs well with Vertofix too.

Just avoid using stuff you dislike.
    You can try ordering small samples of various wood materials..

This is the most beautiful smelling wood material I`ve ever come across.
    https://perfumersupplyhouse.com/prod...heart-natural/

I absolutely love it. It`s so well balanced, so complex and fresh - amazing stuff.
    “Candy is full of taste. But so is shit, because taste is full of smell.”
    - Jarod Kintz, This Book Has No Title

Quote Originally Posted by mattmeleg View Post
    Just avoid using stuff you dislike.
    You can try ordering small samples of various wood materials..

This is the most beautiful smelling wood material I`ve ever come across.
    https://perfumersupplyhouse.com/prod...heart-natural/

I absolutely love it. It`s so well balanced, so complex and fresh - amazing stuff.
    I really like Cedar Atlas Heart as well. I find it very mild, I would love to see a COA or GCMS of its constituents. It's not terpenic at all. I have dosed it around 1% in a floral blend that needed a little backbone and around 5% to get a woody effect, curious of what you've used it at?

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    I really like Cedar Atlas Heart as well. I find it very mild, I would love to see a COA or GCMS of its constituents. It's not terpenic at all. I have dosed it around 1% in a floral blend that needed a little backbone and around 5% to get a woody effect, curious of what you've used it at?
    I received a sample from Cristine`s Perfume Suply house a year ago...
    I remember the scent, and remember being VERY impressed with it.

Never used it in a blend, but
    *I`m sure to order some in the future.
    Matt
    “Candy is full of taste. But so is shit, because taste is full of smell.”
    - Jarod Kintz, This Book Has No Title