Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    I'm on the interwebs. And you are too? What a coinkydink!
    Blog Entries

Default Which Chanel Exclusifs do you recommend? (current formulation only, no Sycomore)

I'm so blown away by how good Eau de Cologne from Les Exclusifs de Chanel is. Wow. It's incredible. I'm wondering which others I should try.

I'm already familiar with Sycomore and Coromandel, though I haven't tried Coromandel in its current formulation, so I might need to sample that one again (I don't like Sycomore. I loved Coromandel EDT, but it was a bit loud for my tastes, or maybe flamboyant? Awesome stuff though).

Boy?
    Jersey?
    31 Rue Cambon?
    ...something else?

Also: Where can I find samples online? Chanel Exclusifs are some of the harder ones to find.

Any advice on finding a deal on bottles? Eau De Cologne might be in my future, but it's a pricey devil.
    My Most Worn in 2018
    1. Castile
    2. 1725 Casanova
    3. Prada L'Homme
    4. Petit Matin
    5. Aqua Universalis
    6. Royal Oud
    7. H.M. by Hanae Mori
    8. Eau de Cologne by Chanel
    9. Bergamote Soleil
    10. Tom Ford Extreme
    11. Aqua Celestia
    12. Curve
    13. Endymion
    14. Noir De Noir
    15. Rose 31
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

Default Re: Which Chanel Exclusifs do you recommend? (current formulation only, no Sycomore)

Only one: Bois des Iles Parfum. I dislike Chanel, but this is god-tier - easily in my top-5, maybe even top-3. The EdT from a few years ago and the current EdP have nothing on this formulation.

Default Re: Which Chanel Exclusifs do you recommend? (current formulation only, no Sycomore)

Coromandel.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

I find alot of them to be on the feminine side however my fav 3 are:
    Cuir De Russie
    Coromandel
    31 Rue.C

Boy. It's nice, and it screams your style.

And that's honestly the ONLY one I would recommend. Not saying that there aren't others that are good...but that you'd enjoy wearing, and owning? Boy is the only one I can think of.

Coromandel, for example: The quality is there. And it's an awesome gourmand blend for a certain amount of time, but the patchouli in this one is THICK and about as strong as it gets. Some may like that, but something tells me you're not a fan of patchouli bombs. In my opinion it's not an easy scent to wear on a regular basis.
    Current Top Ten: 1) Spice & Wood 2) Royal Oud 3) Invasion Barbare 4) Cedrat Boise 5) Dior Homme 6) Terre d'Hermes Parfum 7) Egoiste 8) Tabac Rouge 9) Green Irish Tweed 10) Baccarat Rouge

I have a feeling a lot of these won’t be to your liking either OP, as a lot of them scream femme with florals and creamy woods. Personally I love and own every one and think it’s some of the best perfume in all of the industry. Try to get some sprays of Chanel No. 5 which is available almost anywhere cause I find a lot of the Exclusifs have that aesthetic, especially Bois des Iles and No. 22

Since you seem to favor the lighter styles, and depending how you feel about abstract florals you might appreciate these:

La Pausa
    Bel Respiro
    Bois des Iles
    Cuir de Russie
    No.22
    No.18
    Beige
    Jersey

Personally I found the conversion to EDPs an unnecessary ‘downgrade’ and the discontinuation of EDTs a disaster.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Jersey
    Boy
    Beige
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I'm a big fan of Jersey particularly the parfum but the EdT and EdP are both nice too. If I hadn't found the parfum BNIB for well under $100 I'd probably have gone with a 75ml of the EdT. You'll need to be good with lots of lavender, it's basically the Les Exclusifs lavender. Lavender, tonka, white musk. Normally that description would make me yawn, but they nailed this one. Jersey doesn't get a lot of love but there's a few diehards. Sometimes I get a ton of iris, sometimes none - it's one of the weirder whack-a-mole experiences I've had with a fragrance.

Knowing your style, you might like Bel Respiro too. It's a fresh snappy green. I actually think the EdP was an improvement in this case, it's more rounded and something about it made it more unisex. Obviously their Eau de Cologne would be my first rec for you but it seems like you're quite familiar with it already.

I think Coromandel is gorgeous, definitely worth revisiting but it's also very loud on me. Lasts forever too.
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

Gosh, it's so hard for me to imagine someone actively disliking Sycomore.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    My little thorny heart sank a bit too, but green woody anything has been unfashionable for a really long time. In OP's case, he's already familiar with them and also not keen on vintage styles, which Sycomore definitely is.
    oh look, I have a signature

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I like how the edp’s came out for Jersey, No. 18, and Bois des Iles. If you want to get on board with the new edp’s, then one of these.

Boy was only ever an edp, and I like it.

31 Rue Cambon and Beige as edp’s are different, but still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post

I dislike it, not so much for Sycamore itself because it is remarkably blended (just as much as the rest of the line)

But i dislike it because i hate Vetiver.

Cannot be difficult; there are only 5 or 6 that are unisex!
    Currently wearing: Jacomo for Men by Jacomo

I have never seen Chanel exclusives discounted. Chanel keeps its distribution tightly controlled. I agree that they are very expensive.

Somehow Jersey hits the right notes for me. Misia also, but you need to like very retro style to enjoy Misia's violet powderiness.

I agree that the Eau de Cologne is the perfect traditional recipe. I bought a 400 ml bottle. Of course, really expensive for being a traditional eau de cologne.

cacio

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    I'm on the interwebs. And you are too? What a coinkydink!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MELVCMS01 View Post
    I dislike it, not so much for Sycamore itself because it is remarkably blended (just as much as the rest of the line)

But i dislike it because i hate Vetiver.
    Exactly. I understand the quality of it, but vetiver isn't my thing. I don't enjoy vetiver unless it's a squeaky clean Grey Vetiver/Original Vetiver. It's sort of like how most people seem to like eating olives. I can't stand 'em. Different strokes for different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Boy. It's nice, and it screams your style.
    Boy is on the top of my list to seek samples of. I wish Luckyscent carried Chanel Exclusifs!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Somehow Jersey hits the right notes for me. Misia also, but you need to like very retro style to enjoy Misia's violet powderiness.

I agree that the Eau de Cologne is the perfect traditional recipe. I bought a 400 ml bottle. Of course, really expensive for being a traditional eau de cologne.
    I'm guessing Misia isn't for me then. I love modern. Retro/classic/vintage scents don't suit me. Jersey sounds interesting though!

I'm amazed by Eau De Cologne (though I wish it had a different name). It smells wonderful, though in a perfect world it'd be just a bit more masculine, but it's not feminine. It's right down the middle, gender-wise. I find the performance to be amazing too. It does die down a bit after a few minutes, and it may wear closer than some folks would prefer, though it works for me... but the longevity is off the charts for such a light freshie. I get well over 10 hours from 4 sprays. For this kind of scent, that's shocking, especially since there's nothing heavy about it. I can't imagine how Chanel accomplished that without even a hint of a chemical nonsense smell.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Knowing your style, you might like Bel Respiro too. It's a fresh snappy green. I actually think the EdP was an improvement in this case, it's more rounded and something about it made it more unisex. Obviously their Eau de Cologne would be my first rec for you but it seems like you're quite familiar with it already.
    I can't remember if it was you or Redneck Perfumisto who recommended Chanel's Eau De Cologne for me in a previous thread I started. It might have been you? Anyway... when I got a sample from a gracious BNer, I wasn't impressed at all. I mean, yeah, it's nice I guess, but... ...?... I suppose the subtlety of the scent and the fact that it's so ridiculously well blended required a few tries before it clicked with me. At first, I felt like nothing stood out, and I thought "What's the point?" ...but I just felt good wearing it. So, I tried it again... and again... and again. Each time, I liked it more than the time before, and each time I discovered something new. And I always felt good wearing it. It went from being a yawn to being a wow.

I'm probably going to end up buying a bottle. It's superb.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    I think Coromandel is gorgeous, definitely worth revisiting but it's also very loud on me. Lasts forever too.
    Yeah, I think very highly of Coromandel, but it's not my style at all, and when I want something big rich and loud, I'd probably reach for Noir De Noir (though obviously that smells totally different). I may treat myself to a small decant of Coromandel someday... but not yet.
    My Most Worn in 2018
    1. Castile
    2. 1725 Casanova
    3. Prada L'Homme
    4. Petit Matin
    5. Aqua Universalis
    6. Royal Oud
    7. H.M. by Hanae Mori
    8. Eau de Cologne by Chanel
    9. Bergamote Soleil
    10. Tom Ford Extreme
    11. Aqua Celestia
    12. Curve
    13. Endymion
    14. Noir De Noir
    15. Rose 31
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Exactly. I understand the quality of it, but vetiver isn't my thing. I don't enjoy vetiver unless it's a squeaky clean Grey Vetiver/Original Vetiver. It's sort of like how most people seem to like eating olives. I can't stand 'em. Different strokes for different folks.

Boy is on the top of my list to seek samples of. I wish Luckyscent carried Chanel Exclusifs!

I'm guessing Misia isn't for me then. I love modern. Retro/classic/vintage scents don't suit me. Jersey sounds interesting though!

I'm amazed by Eau De Cologne (though I wish it had a different name). It smells wonderful, though in a perfect world it'd be just a bit more masculine, but it's not feminine. It's right down the middle, gender-wise. I find the performance to be amazing too. It does die down a bit after a few minutes, and it may wear closer than some folks would prefer, though it works for me... but the longevity is off the charts for such a light freshie. I get well over 10 hours from 4 sprays. For this kind of scent, that's shocking, especially since there's nothing heavy about it. I can't imagine how Chanel accomplished that without even a hint of a chemical nonsense smell.

I can't remember if it was you or Redneck Perfumisto who recommended Chanel's Eau De Cologne for me in a previous thread I started. It might have been you? Anyway... when I got a sample from a gracious BNer, I wasn't impressed at all. I mean, yeah, it's nice I guess, but... ...?... I suppose the subtlety of the scent and the fact that it's so ridiculously well blended required a few tries before it clicked with me. At first, I felt like nothing stood out, and I thought "What's the point?" ...but I just felt good wearing it. So, I tried it again... and again... and again. Each time, I liked it more than the time before, and each time I discovered something new. And I always felt good wearing it. It went from being a yawn to being a wow.

I'm probably going to end up buying a bottle. It's superb.

Yeah, I think very highly of Coromandel, but it's not my style at all, and when I want something big rich and loud, I'd probably reach for Noir De Noir (though obviously that smells totally different). I may treat myself to a small decant of Coromandel someday... but not yet.
    I love a dirty vodka martini too.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

La Pausa for a laundry-fresh iris.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Around ten years ago I bought Chanel Eau de Cologne in 75 ml bottle. I felt exactlty like you: the perfect cologne, my search is over. Kept using it and one of my good friends loved it. It had maybe 50 ml left. Gifted it to him and bought the 200 ml bottle. It was the same yet it wasn't. Something had changed, something I can't pinpoint. Something in the green accord had turned more thin, brash and synthetic. Ended up gifting this bottle to my friend too, crying a little inside. New bottle was still an EdT, in case you were wondering.

I think you would really like Boy. I also believe 22 La Pausa and 31 Rue Cambon are something you enjoy smelling, but especially the latter will probably be a bit too feminine for you to wear it constantly.

Basenotes Plus

Chanel is selling a set of Les Exclusifs online for $250. Great way to try most of the collection.

The set includes:
    GARDÉNIA
    BEL RESPIRO
    N°22
    COROMANDEL
    BOIS DES ILES
    SYCOMORE
    CUIR DE RUSSIE
    BEIGE
    31 RUE CAMBON
    JERSEY
    N°18
    LA PAUSA
    MISIA
    EAU DE COLOGNE
    Currently wearing: Mojave Ghost by Byredo

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Jersey
    Boy
    Beige
    +1 Beige

Also, 1932 is a beautiful, elegant floral.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Nuit de Noël by Caron

I've really never been tempted by any of the Exclusifs except Eau de Cologne.

I bought a big bottle of it off of eBay several years ago before Chanel's reformulations occurred and prices got out of sight. I highly recommend the larger bottle if you're going to get it. I don't think you'll be sorry because it's so much more reasonable.

EdC's projection and longevity often get complaints, but not from me. For what it is, I think it's perfect. It's so beautifully clean, refreshing, soft and innocent. Every time I wear it, I'm glad I wore it.

BTW....I've found that adding a few spritzes to your clothing also helps a lot with the overall projection. Like you, I can smell EdC on myself for several hours, if done right.

It's really an underrated fragrance, I think. It's just fantastic for almost any kind of weather, from the mid 60's, or higher.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Rocabar by Hermès

Cuir de Russie, but the edt's versions of al the collection, were better,imo!

My current favorites are Coromandel, [Sycomore], Cuir de Russie, Bois des Iles. I will be trying more soon, but those are my top "to gets" from my queue.
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Coromandel loses a bit of it's sparkle with it's EDP reform, however it's still a mighty fine, overstuffed Patchouli.

No. 18 Parfum EDP loses a little of it's Ethereal EDT charm, however maintains a beautiful transparency.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.