Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's going to be big in 2019?

This year seems to be ending in a serious lack of purchases. Nothing has really captured my attention.

So what are you looking forward to in 2019?

Bonus: Feel free to recommend stuff that I might have missed in 2018!
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Default Re: What's going to be big in 2019?

Can anyone share some insight into what is scheduled or talked about for release in 2019 ?
    Currently wearing: Cuir Andalou by Rania J

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I'll be waiting to see what's new that will be unveiled at ESXENCE 2019 in late April. Till then, will just see what trickles out early in 2019 from houses I'm interested in.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The hole in my wallet?

I thought Mefisto Gentiluomo might be big, but based on the early reviews that are coming in I'm hedging my bets. It doesn't sound bad, but it's not blockbuster material.

Apparently Hermes is releasing a new pillar for men. The perfumer's already got her share of skeptics, so we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

Personally, if there's anyone who I think is capable of releasing a smash-hit niche fragrance in 2019 (like the next LDDM or Ambre Sultan...something BIG), it's Bruno Fazzolari. He's been on a vicious tear the past couple of years; in that span he's released Unsettled, Ummagumma, Feau Secret, Vetiverissimo, and Fontevraud. He never stagnates, always pushes the envelope to some degree, and isn't afraid to experiment. And at least to me it seems as if he's just beginning his prime. I'm curious to see what he does in 2019.
    Currently wearing: Gentlemen Only by Givenchy

I would agree on Fazzolari, he’s been on a tear. But mostly I got a good laugh with Diamondflame’s response. :-)

For 2019:

In terms of notes:

Tonka and leather. I also think smokey notes like lapsang souchong, cade and tobacco will be used a bit more. Incense may gain some more mainstream appeal.

Brands I think will do well based on what I've smelled and really loved in 2018:

Dusita (great new house), Louis Vuitton (their fragrances are growing on me), The Zoo (owned by perfumer Christophe Laudamiel), LVNEA (a new discovery of mine, all-natural company from Canada)

Other than that, I think vintage is gonna be all the rage. That's what I dip into when current releases suck.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    In the land of milk and honey (yet cows and bees don't get the money)
    Blog Entries

I think the whole harsh fake wood/fake incense norlimbanol thing will keep going strong. Even niche houses are abusing that stuff these days.

I. Am. Over. It.

I'll be curious to see what MFK does next for a major release that isn't a flanker. Maybe we'll find out in 2019?
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Interlude Man
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Prada L'Homme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Hanae Mori H.M. (EDT)
    Green Irish Tweed
    Aqua Universalis
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

From a personal viewpoint alone, cannot be a good predictor of what will be trendy in 2019 not even by amateur standards, since most personal fragrance purchases will not be focused mainly on new releases nor on the more popular trends, far more on getting classics that happen to remain also in 2019 and the upcoming years fairly safe from reformulation and/or discontinuation
    Currently wearing: Tasmeem by Rasasi

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I think blue sweetamberwoods will continue to ride out the decade until we roll into fresh fougères again because these things happen in cycles and have been since the 90's.
    Niche is anyone's guess, but more will join the "masstige" like Parfums de Marly, offering little more than overpriced designer fare with nuclear sillage compensating for quality, while more artisinal labels will keep the flame alive by reviving traditions or exploring new turf.
    Meanwhile, discount perfumes will continue to go further obsolete as income inequality continues to widen and middle-tier brands like Avon, Coty (non-prestige), Jovan, Arden, and the like continue to make less sense as cheaper body sprays fill that void completely.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Oland by Avon

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    The hole in my wallet?
    this

Curious to check out Tom Ford Beau de Jour and Costa Azzurra Aqua. Nothing is else is really on my radar as of now.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Niche is anyone's guess, but more will join the "masstige" like Parfums de Marly, offering little more than overpriced designer fare with nuclear sillage compensating for quality, while more artisinal labels will keep the flame alive by reviving traditions or exploring new turf.

Meanwhile, discount perfumes will continue to go further obsolete as income inequality continues to widen and middle-tier brands like Avon, Coty (non-prestige), Jovan, Arden, and the like continue to make less sense as cheaper body sprays fill that void completely.
    "Follow the money" is a truism in the business of perfumery, perhaps even more so than anywhere else in consumer culture.

The rare, almost isolated examples of true artistic integrity will continue to be on the margins of the industry.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

V&R Spicebomb Night Vision

Armani --Stronger with You Intensely

I can hardly contain my excitement

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I think the whole harsh fake wood/fake incense norlimbanol thing will keep going strong. Even niche houses are abusing that stuff these days.

I. Am. Over. It.

This. Norlimbanol / Ambroxide bombs will continue. Fragrance development has become a pinch of this and a dash of that and voila! A new fragrance. Stick a label on it and put it on the shelf with the others.

Oh, and the super exciting trend of limited releases and single-market/single-store releases will continue to pick up steam.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Creed - Royal Oud
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    For 2019:

Louis Vuitton (their fragrances are growing on me)

I had no idea they made perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    The hole in my wallet?
    count me out!
    spray and pray...

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Apparently Hermes is releasing a new pillar for men. The perfumer's already got her share of skeptics, so we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.
    Oooh, that is exciting news. I’ve really enjoyed Galop and Twilly (though not so much TdH Vetiver), so I’ll be very curious to check out whatever Nagel comes up with as a new masculine pillar.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I think blue sweetamberwoods will continue to ride out the decade
    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    This. Norlimbanol / Ambroxide bombs will continue.
    This thread is depressing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    V&R Spicebomb Night Vision
    New to me. Got any more info?
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Blog Entries

I can only speak for myself. Everything shifts a rung down the ladder. Drugstore scents hit the ground, designers the bottom rung, niche the middle, and the top rung held by artisanals. Theoretically, this should bury Axe for everyone except 8th grade players.

In other words, whatever's "big" in 2019 doesn't matter to me one whit.

Basically, the labels have shifted and the game remains the same. I couldn't care less what's happening on the ground or the bottom rung. Niche might still get me, as I've been largely on the sidelines for a decade and *gasp* don't have a grudge against Ambroxan. Quite like it, actually. My eyes are firmlly fixed on artisanal as the thing to test and watch. The rest of my energies will be spent on exploring classic men's fragrances, fragrance families, and individual notes as always.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

I'm ever hopeful to see another big male release which is not a flanker from any of the major houses. Chanel is still riding the Bleu wave; Dior is busy with Homme flankers and Sauvage is still a best-seller. Mugler's Alien Man was unexpected. Curious if something truly new emerges from Paco Rabanne or Van Cleef & Arpels.

Hermes having a new male release and the mentioned V&K Spicebomb flanker interests me too.
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage

I'll make a crazy hail-marry prediction and say that scents will be released with both iris and ambroxan that straddle the fence between mass-appealing, aggressive compliment getters like Sauvage or Invictus, and the more classy and work oriented iris based fragrances like Prada L'Homme or Dior Homme.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    I can only speak for myself. Everything shifts a rung down the ladder. Drugstore scents hit the ground, designers the bottom rung, niche the middle, and the top rung held by artisanals. Theoretically, this should bury Axe for everyone except 8th grade players.

In other words, whatever's "big" in 2019 doesn't matter to me one whit.

Basically, the labels have shifted and the game remains the same. I couldn't care less what's happening on the ground or the bottom rung. Niche might still get me, as I've been largely on the sidelines for a decade and *gasp* don't have a grudge against Ambroxan. Quite like it, actually. My eyes are firmlly fixed on artisanal as the thing to test and watch. The rest of my energies will be spent on exploring classic men's fragrances, fragrance families, and individual notes as always.
    I actually think the Axe/Tag/Bod crap will replace drugstore/value brands, because when is the last time outside a Walmart clearance rack that you've seen anything not an aerosol body spray advertised under $25? At least not in the US. That's why Avon relocated and Coty focused on buying designers rather than keeping its own perfumes alive. There's simply nobody dwelling in that economic bracket to sustain the brand. Granted, there will always be weirdos like me who go on Avon binges, but like you, I'm trying to explore around a bit more (and I have no issue with ambroxan either).

Are we talking big sales-wise? Or big in the rarefied world of us fragrance fanatics?

If the former, whatever generic, celebrity-endorsed crap is foisted upon the public at large.

If the latter, probably something from Fazzolari or another niche/artisanal outfit that manages the neat trick of being creative, talented, and relatively affordable.

Eau Sauvage Oud Noir
    In rotation: YSL PH HC, Devin, Aramis 900, Halston 1-12, CdNIM, Helmut Lang Cologne, et al.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScentMemory View Post
    Are we talking big sales-wise? Or big in the rarefied world of us fragrance fanatics?

If the former, whatever generic, celebrity-endorsed crap is foisted upon the public at large.

If the latter, probably something from Fazzolari or another niche/artisanal outfit that manages the neat trick of being creative, talented, and relatively affordable.
    Also more of the former posing as the latter.

Blog Entries

I actually think the Axe/Tag/Bod crap will replace drugstore/value brands, because when is the last time outside a Walmart clearance rack that you've seen anything not an aerosol body spray advertised under $25? At least not in the US. That's why Avon relocated and Coty focused on buying designers rather than keeping its own perfumes alive. There's simply nobody dwelling in that economic bracket to sustain the brand. Granted, there will always be weirdos like me who go on Avon binges, but like you, I'm trying to explore around a bit more (and I have no issue with ambroxan either).
    'Tis the season to be jolly!

Except on basenotes, where we are all bracing for the Axe niche line priced at $75 per deodorant with so much norlimbanol that an aggressive sniff will require stitches.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

I'd like ELdO to release a fragrance that's all perfumer's alcohol and called "The Emperor's New Clothes." At least it wouldn't be a chemical nightmare!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    'Tis the season to be jolly!

Except on basenotes, where we are all bracing for the Axe niche line priced at $75 per deodorant with so much norlimbanol that an aggressive sniff will require stitches.
    That already exists. They call it Dior Sauvage Very Cool Spray

*badum tish*