Code of Conduct

Default Cost performance of expensive materials?

A perfume may only need trace amounts of orris butter, floral absolutes, civet, ambergris, hyrax etc.
    Because of just how concentrated they are, are the above (initially expensive) material actually cost effective?

An Example,
    I paid what I thought was a lot of money for Jasmine absolute (grandiflorum)
    But I was really AMAZED by how little I needed to use. Jasmine absolute, even when highly diluted, is still very rich.
    Therefore, I think Jasmine absolute is NOT expensive, but rather... its beautiful and priced very fairly!

Can you think of some expensive materials you would HIGHLY recommend to newbies/beginners?

What expensive materials are actually, "much cheaper than you think."
    What is your favourite, expensive but great COST PERFORMANCE MATERIALS?

On the flip side, are there any over priced, natural materials which you feel beginners don`t need?
    Can you suggest cheaper, synthetic bases that do an excellent job?

Thanks so much
    Matt
    Long, dark Vancouver winters

Default Re: Cost performance of expensive materials?

Good point Matt - I purchased the rest of materials for rose accord and in hindsight, I would go back and buy more Moroccan rose absolute from PA. And some premade rose accords, and spend more time developing bases.
    But it depends if a person is a hobbyist or aspires to be professional.

Bases - I would love to learn more I see that IFF gives formula for bases so that would be great to try in a small bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmeleg View Post
    A perfume may only need trace amounts of orris butter, floral absolutes, civet, ambergris, hyrax etc.
    Because of just how concentrated they are, are the above (initially expensive) material actually cost effective?

An Example,
    I paid what I thought was a lot of money for Jasmine absolute (grandiflorum)
    But I was really AMAZED by how little I needed to use. Jasmine absolute, even when highly diluted, is still very rich.
    Therefore, I think Jasmine absolute is NOT expensive, but rather... its beautiful and priced very fairly!

Can you think of some expensive materials you would HIGHLY recommend to newbies/beginners?

What expensive materials are actually, "much cheaper than you think."
    What is your favourite, expensive but great COST PERFORMANCE MATERIALS?

On the flip side, are there any over priced, natural materials which you feel beginners don`t need?
    Can you suggest cheaper, synthetic bases that do an excellent job?

Thanks so much
    Matt
    Try making them. It's good exercise and can also add some real flower scent that the eos are lacking. Rose eo for example doesn't really smell like the fresh flower but it is relatively easy to make an ackord that does. I have about six different rose ackords spanning from fresh white rose to sweet dark red rose.

One of my favorite eos that is just dirt cheap considering it's potency is labdanum. I use mine in 5% solution and it totally overpowers anything if not used with caution.

Basenotes Junkie

Surely, the ratio costs/power are very important for production,i suppose.
    Naturally, material as cinnamon bark, cistus, jasmin, birch tar, ,etc, etc ,( all material diluted at 1% or less), have a best rendition for this aspect....
    For sinthethic base substitutes, the same base of this natural ingredients, for ex. jasmine base (i have firmenich) are very strong, also at 1%....
    About price/strenght ratio, i think cinnamon bark and birch tar (betula alba) are the best (but both have restrictions for safety..), because jasmin and cistus aren't economics oils.......

Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    Try making them. It's good exercise and can also add some real flower scent that the eos are lacking. Rose eo for example doesn't really smell like the fresh flower but it is relatively easy to make an ackord that does. I have about six different rose ackords spanning from fresh white rose to sweet dark red rose.

One of my favorite eos that is just dirt cheap considering it's potency is labdanum. I use mine in 5% solution and it totally overpowers anything if not used with caution.
    Really? I need to post what I have sometime and you can see what is missing maybe.