Code of Conduct

Default Mysore Sandalwood Oil Recommendations?

I’m a noob to Sandalwood Oils. After reading here, I just ordered Vajood from Tyson in Canada. I’m seeking to obtain a few pure high quality Mysore Sandalwood oils from reliable sellers/ distillers. A few oils I saw recommended here recently were sold out. Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Mysore Sandalwood Oil Recommendations?

You could try Via Del Profumo. Russian Adam of Areej le Dore has some listed occasionally. His own distillations, when he has the material available. I believe Ensar has some too, occasionally. It’s getting harder and harder to find even tiny quantities of the good stuff.
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

Rising Phoenix Perfumery on Etsy
    Ensar Oud still has one I believe
    Feel Oud (Russian Adam of Areej Le Dore’s original project with oud and sandal oils)

There are others but your best bet might be Rising Phoenix. The owner/operator is a guy named JK. He’s extremely friendly and has several different distillations of Mysore. Best of all be sells .3gr samples and is in Georgia so shipping is much cheaper than EO or FO.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

+1 for Rising Phoenix. I've tried close to a dozen of his sandals and all have been at least decent, a few are excellent bang-for-you-buck daily (nightly, for me) wears. Granted, personal taste rule is still in effect (I like cleaner, linear, non-spicy sandal), but I think I've sampled around enough at least be able to tell what is decent from junk or fake. JK always has solid sandal oils. My favorite of his was Timor '17 (aka TS01) but it is long gone, as is the case with most oil distillations - but I think you're already an oud fan, so you're familiar with that song and dance...and the thing where once you develop a report with a vendor, you might be able to get your hands on "gone forever totally sold out" items Not saying specifically that JK does this, and TS01 is indeed gone, but just speaking generally.

I've picked up sandal I think is excellent as low as $30/3g, but it can be much higher for vintage stuff. One rule of thumb, much like with oud and western fragrance: vintage doesn't always = better. But it certainly can. Something about the chemical makeup of santalols allows oil to age beautifully. But a junk sandal distilled in the 70's and aged for 40 years will probably still be a junk sandal today.

I've also had luck with:

AgarwoodAssam
    +1 Feel Oud
    +1 Ensar Oud

My favorite sandal thus far is one that Ensar pulled, Mysore 1984. If he ever puts it back up for sale, I'd recommend a sample at the very least.

Have yet to try any of Dubrana's work, sandal or otherwise, but people I trust rave about his sandal in La Via del Profumo/AbdesSaalam Attar.

If you're going to dive into sandal, worth checking out some Mitti attar as well. Sandal and earthy petrichor make a wonderful pairing.

Dependent

I've got a small sample of Ensar Oud Santal Royale - very nice, somewhat bright, decently long-lasting!

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    +1 for Rising Phoenix.
    If you're going to dive into sandal, worth checking out some Mitti attar as well. Sandal and earthy petrichor make a wonderful pairing.
    Sorry to hijack the OPs thread, but would you be able to direct me to anyone that sells a good mitti attar? Have a been keeping an eye out for a while and would appreciate any leads anyone is willing to share.

Profumo’s sandalwood is excellent. He occasionally has ambergris tincture made with it, which is wonderful.
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

Quote Originally Posted by Lellabelle View Post
    Sorry to hijack the OPs thread, but would you be able to direct me to anyone that sells a good mitti attar? Have a been keeping an eye out for a while and would appreciate any leads anyone is willing to share.

Profumo’s sandalwood is excellent. He occasionally has ambergris tincture made with it, which is wonderful.
    Sorry? Why not just send a f'king PM?

Basenotes Institution

How do you like the Vajood Jazznpool?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Vajood is pleasant and clean smelling but low in power to my nose--somewhat similar in that aspect to Rising Phoenix 2016 Resinous Mysore. I'm a noob to sandawood and oud oils so my expectations and judgment might be off kilter. By contrast EO Santal Royale (had a sample) is more robust and complex than either of those to my nose. Of course the EO SR is at a much higher price point. I have a few other sandalwoods coming, 2 from RP and 1 from Habzoud. Even though the price was tall, I wish I would have latched on to 3g vial of Mysore 1984 from EO when it was available. The sandalwood and Mysore or vintage Mysore sandalwood marketplace is daunting, especially for a noob. Seller/ distiller reputation (and feedback) and provenance seem critical to not end up with poor quality or bogus oils.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Jazznpool.

I sort of assumed the Vajood would smell as you described it. The price is definitely affordable...but I have a handful of 'low in power to my nose' Mysore sandalwood and I don't need more. I am wearing the 2016 Resinous Mysore by Rising Phoenix as I type this. I applied it about a couple hours ago. It's barely perceptible now. I am spoiled: I own a couple really old vintage Mysore's.

I regret not buying the Ensar Oud Santal Sultan (it's sold out now). OMG that stuff is amazing. One of the most potent and radiant Mysore's I've ever worn - I couldn't believe it was all natural and didn't have anything synthetic in it. But I waited too long to decide to buy it and he's now only selling the Santal Royale you mentioned. Which I sampled - I liked it, but I didn't love it.

Which Rising Phoenix sandalwoods do you have coming to you? Mysore ones? Or the Indonesian ones?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks Jazznpool.

I sort of assumed the Vajood would smell as you described it. The price is definitely affordable...but I have a handful of 'low in power to my nose' Mysore sandalwood and I don't need more. I am wearing the 2016 Resinous Mysore by Rising Phoenix as I type this. I applied it about a couple hours ago. It's barely perceptible now. I am spoiled: I own a couple really old vintage Mysore's.

I regret not buying the Ensar Oud Santal Sultan (it's sold out now). OMG that stuff is amazing. One of the most potent and radiant Mysore's I've ever worn - I couldn't believe it was all natural and didn't have anything synthetic in it. But I waited too long to decide to buy it and he's now only selling the Santal Royale you mentioned. Which I sampled - I liked it, but I didn't love it.

Which Rising Phoenix sandalwoods do you have coming to you? Mysore ones? Or the Indonesian ones?
    Yes, Kota Kupang or Kopondai Flores. At this point, having a few non Mysore oils is okay as I’m learning. I don’t want to continue to burn good resources though with oils I won’t have much use for. Finding great vintage true Mysore oil looks to be quite the quest.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    Yes, Kota Kupang or Kopondai Flores. At this point, having a few non Mysore oils is okay as I’m learning. I don’t want to continue to burn good resources though with oils I won’t have much use for. Finding great vintage true Mysore oil looks to be quite the quest.
    A quest indeed!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dependent

I will always go back to Ensar Oud's Mysore 1984 - goodness!! that was like heaven in a 3 gram bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1973 View Post
    I will always go back to Ensar Oud's Mysore 1984 - goodness!! that was like heaven in a 3 gram bottle!
    Sadly, EO used what they had left for a musk maceration. I tried to see if I could by 3g even though pulled off the site as I had made a few recent purchases.

- - - Updated - - -

I broke down and bought the last 3g bottle of Ensar Oud Santal Royale tonight at Luckyscent. It was recently sold out at EO. I had a small sample of it and quite frankly it was the best Mysore sandalwood I've smelled so far. I just had balked at the price previously as I get clobbered for California tax. Anyway, at least I'll have one good Mysore sandalwood for a while.

Basenotes Plus

Talking Re: Mysore Sandalwood Oil Recommendations?

In as much as Mysore 1984 had an ethereal fineness to it's perfume, I find the Bouquet of Santal Sultan and Kupang 1998 blends layered. Their composition, mille feuille-s a varnish bloom upon the skin and present (for me) a compelling picture of Aged Sandal.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    I’m a noob to Sandalwood Oils. After reading here, I just ordered Vajood from Tyson in Canada. I’m seeking to obtain a few pure high quality Mysore Sandalwood oils from reliable sellers/ distillers. A few oils I saw recommended here recently were sold out. Thanks for your help!
    I think Tyson and Russian Adam are the vendors who distilled the Santal oil on their own. I have tried all batches of Santal oil by Tyson. The best one was Celestial Gold. He acquires top quality wood, and then distills.

There are a lot of vintage Santal oils on the market. What suits you depends upon the purpose of yours. If it is needed to blend in other Oud oils, to macerate Musk, or to wear just Santal, the criterion of suitability gets changed. If you want to create attars, and the ingredients to be used are of high quality are precious enough, IO's Mysore Santal 2002 is to be tried. If you want to have experimentation, Agarwood Assam's Santal oil, RBO's Santal oil, and IO's Mysore 2014 will do. Not UNNECESSARILY pricey at all. Habz Oud offers Ceylon Santal. Though I haven't tried yet, but the vendor's credibility is above doubt.

Mysore Santal
    Ceylon Santal
    Indonesian Santal
    Bangladeshi Santal
    Australian Santal
    Timor Santal

B class Mysore Santal is better than A class any other Santal. Though exceptions are always there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rai Munir View Post
    I think Tyson and Russian Adam are the vendors who distilled the Santal oil on their own. I have tried all batches of Santal oil by Tyson. The best one was Celestial Gold. He acquires top quality wood, and then distills.
    Oh, Rai sahib you forgot some of the ones I made, much before that (and sinking grade Mysore in both cases).

Hey Taha, it would be great to see a high grade sandalwood from AA this year if desirable wood can be sourced and it makes economic sense.

Rai, thanks for your comments. In the time since this post I purchased about 6 other artinal sandalwoods. EO Santal Royale stands out above the lot but the others have varying degrees of appeal. Eventually I’ll use some of the lesser ones to make an attar for myself. The Sri Lankan sandalwood from Habzouds has a good level of opening vigor. For now I’m done frittering away my resources by taking blind stabs to find / learn about excellent sandalwood.

Quote Originally Posted by tahasyed View Post
    Oh, Rai sahib you forgot some of the ones I made, much before that (and sinking grade Mysore in both cases).

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by tahasyed View Post

Taha Saheb, that has been mentioned by all those who tried that, but, poor me, I entered this world when your Mysore had gone. Your name is enough is to vouch for the purity and quality.
    The colour of the oil in your videos is the same as the colour Tyson's Vojood reflects. Great oils reflect alike.

Janab, if I had those lying around, I would have happily sent you some.
    I know how much you love Mysore sandalwood, you are a man after my own heart when it comes to Mysore vs non-Mysore sandalwood.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    In as much as Mysore 1984 had an ethereal fineness to it's perfume, I find the Bouquet of Santal Sultan and Kupang 1998 blends layered. Their composition, mille feuille-s a varnish bloom upon the skin and present (for me) a compelling picture of Aged Sandal.
    Today, I am amazed at the quality of Tyler Lee Mortensen Mysore Ambergris mix. The Ambergris seems to broaden the space between the varnishes. First time in a long time I feel and taste the Heart of the Wood in an Oil, Ethereal. Much like walking into a room, paneled in Sandalwood, where Chips have been burned, for years.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Today, I am amazed at the quality of Tyler Lee Mortensen Mysore Ambergris mix. The Ambergris seems to broaden the space between the varnishes. First time in a long time I feel and taste the Heart of the Wood in an Oil, Ethereal. Much like walking into a room, paneled in Sandalwood, where Chips have been burned, for years.
    First time I smelled the two notes together I had the same reaction (from Rising Phoenix).

-- Eckhart Tolle