Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Caron's Le 3eme Homme (The Third Man) is one of the best things i've smelled in a long time

For me at least vintage Third Man is the only Caron masculine that is enjoyable all the time, though I should give L'Anarchiste a wearing soon (it always impressed me as the essence of "meh" LOL).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 14th December 2018 at 01:36 AM.

Default Re: Caron's Le 3eme Homme (The Third Man) is one of the best things i've smelled in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    For those interested in buying, go for the vintage one(weirdly sculpted dark glass bottle).
    The current one is meh.
    Full Disclosure: I am not a fan of Caron Masculine fragrances. Current Third Man is a scrubber for me. I like vintage much better but still won't wear it a lot.
    That sounds pretty extreme.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Always be smelling

Not any more than the effusive praise it has been gathering.
    I just happen to be at the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    That sounds pretty extreme.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Love it. And some days I am forced to decide among Third Man, and vintage Richard James and Insense. All wonderful masculine florals.

Is this one that works in warm/hot weather? I’ve seen other reviews that say it’s mostly a citrus fougere type fragrance.

I’m definitely blind buying this, just don’t know if I should wait 6 months or so till it cools off or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post
    Is this one that works in warm/hot weather? I’ve seen other reviews that say it’s mostly a citrus fougere type fragrance.

I’m definitely blind buying this, just don’t know if I should wait 6 months or so till it cools off or not.
    I wouldnt. The cloves are pretty strong in this.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    I wouldnt. The cloves are pretty strong in this.
    Copy that, I’ll wait till fall.

I never got much if any clove, but it’s pretty sweet and heavy, and I wouldn’t wear it in the heat either way.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Ysatis by Givenchy

User of Toilet Water

I recently bought a current bottle and a 2000-2001 bottle. Based on one testing they smell exactly the same to me. Same great performance too.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I never got much if any clove, but it’s pretty sweet and heavy, and I wouldn’t wear it in the heat either way.
    I agree. Also, I recently gave Davidoff's Relax a full/regular wearing, and that's also a great scent in this direction. It's got quite an animalic quality, down Kouros road, too, though not as floral as Third Man, so I recommend sampling that one for Third Man enthusiasts.

It's alright on a summer night with a cool breeze.

But not during the day or in confined, hot quarters.

What do people here think of Caron Homme Sport?
    Top 10:
    1. Mancera Aoud Lemon Mint
    2. FM Carnal Flower/TF Neroli Portofino Forte
    3. Le Labo Bergamote 22/Mancera Soleil d'Italie
    4. Dior Oud Ispahan/Mancera Aoud Line
    5. Bond No. 9 Eau de New York/Bleecker Street
    6. Amouage Beach Hut Man/AdG Essenza
    7. MFK Grand Soir/Oud Satin Mood/Aqua Celestia Forte
    8. TF Tobacco Vanille/Venetian Bergamot/Mandarino di Amalfi/Azure Lime/Vert Boheme/Italian Cypress/Oud Minerale
    9. Creed OV/RM/GIT/SMW
    10. AdP Essenza/Club/Oud

Fun fact: if you own Egoiste and Pour Monsieur Concentree ( or EDP will probably work too), spray them over the top of each other and the fragrance you get from that combo smells exactly like 3rd Man.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post

I'd be the contrarian - it really shines in hot weather. Maybe not at 110F-125F, but definitely at 70F-90F.

I had this rotation in Phoenix (AZ) in late summer (early September), and it was better than any citrus/aquatic/freshie rotation -

Le 3me Homme de Caron
    Kiehl's Musk
    Kouros
    Havana
    Azuree

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Me too, I can't take it any more. I'm going to wear 3rd Man tomorrow 'cause I don't have to go anywhere, so no self-consciousness about smelling like a man!

(Maybe also play some balalaika music while wearing it.)

It's actually a zither. Here's the great Anton Karas playing the theme.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I agree. Also, I recently gave Davidoff's Relax a full/regular wearing, and that's also a great scent in this direction. It's got quite an animalic quality, down Kouros road, too, though not as floral as Third Man, so I recommend sampling that one for Third Man enthusiasts.
    I should try 3rd Man then, since I love Relax. Davidoff's worst decision to discontinue that gem. Relax also reminds me of Ferrarri Radiant Bergamot. Do you think 3rd Man is similar to this too?
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    It's actually a zither.
    Smartypants.

Watch yourself, or I'll bash you with my giant balalaika.

And then I'll cut you with my pointy sideburns.

Blog Entries

I tried this recently and it wasn’t for me. It is more dated than classic from my perspective. Similar to the discontinued Tiffany for Men and Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Smartypants.

Looks like a giant Dorito with strings and a neck.

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    I tried this recently and it wasn’t for me. It is more dated than classic from my perspective. Similar to the discontinued Tiffany for Men and Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT.
    It's very much in the old "dandy" tradition, so you have to really be fond of that era of masculine style to pull it off. For the kind of man that still has the word "haberdashery" and phrase "cutting a rug" in his common vernacular. Cloak and walking cane sold separately
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Smartypants.

my god! That is not a balalaika, that is a delta wing jet!
    Summer grasses
    All that remain
    Of warriors' dreams--Basho

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I should try 3rd Man then, since I love Relax. Davidoff's worst decision to discontinue that gem. Relax also reminds me of Ferrarri Radiant Bergamot. Do you think 3rd Man is similar to this too?
    I haven't tried FRB but one of the things I like about Third Man is the richness and complexity (in vintage). I doubt you'll find that in any fragrance today except perhaps for a few super-expensive one (I don't have much experience with those).

I'll be bringing my bottle out to play this week. Love this one!!
    Currently wearing: Tobacco by Franck Boclet

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I haven't tried FRB but one of the things I like about Third Man is the richness and complexity (in vintage). I doubt you'll find that in any fragrance today except perhaps for a few super-expensive one (I don't have much experience with those).
    I’ve really been enjoying current formulation Third Man recently after multiple wearings from samples and its right up there with the standard lines of the heavyweight designers. I actually enjoyed it enough to buy a bottle and it goes to show that its still possible for designers to put out very high quality fragrances at low prices. How do you find current compared to vintage?
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Patchouli Nobile by Nobile 1942
    Pour Monsieur EdT by Chanel
    Eau Sauvage (vtg) by Christian Dior
    Eucris EdP by GF Trumper
    Polo (Cosmair) by Ralph Lauren
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Looks like a giant Dorito with strings and a neck.

It's very much in the old "dandy" tradition, so you have to really be fond of that era of masculine style to pull it off. For the kind of man that still has the word "haberdashery" and phrase "cutting a rug" in his common vernacular. Cloak and walking cane sold separately
    Haha yes, agree. I would have worn it and enjoyed it in my more experimental days, but my style is narrowing down these days.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Haha yes, agree. I would have worn it and enjoyed it in my more experimental days, but my style is narrowing down these days.
    And remember, the word "haberdashery" can only be properly pronounced in a nasal 1920's transcontinental accent.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGrain View Post
    It's alright on a summer night with a cool breeze.

But not during the day or in confined, hot quarters.
    I wonder if that's why some football fans looked at me in a slightly funny way that one time I hopped on a crowded tube train after I had doused myself with it.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

My SOTD today. I purchased my 1st bottle of this gem in 2007. I bought 2 backups later that year. I am still on bottle number 1.
    Summer grasses
    All that remain
    Of warriors' dreams--Basho

Basenotes Junkie

How is the clove presented in this? Is it noticeable? Supporting and well-blended; or heavy and dominating?

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by broguesforsir View Post
    How is the clove presented in this? Is it noticeable? Supporting and well-blended; or heavy and dominating?
    Very subdued.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Very subdued.
    Thanks, freewheeling’. That’s good to know!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast