Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: Caron's Le 3eme Homme (The Third Man) is one of the best things i've smelled in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by broguesforsir View Post
    Thanks, freewheeling’. That’s good to know!
    For purposes of benchmarking, I don't know if you've tried any of Jacomo de Jacomo, Noir Epices, Comme des Garçons Parfum, Opium, Christopher Street, or Chanel Coco. Those are some of the clove-heavy fragrances I can think of. Compared to those, clove is very subdued in Le 3me Homme de Caron. The note pyramid on Fragrantica doesn't make any sense to me. The note pyramid on Basenotes doesn't even list cloves. If you look at the BN reviews, not many mention cloves, especially among the earlier reviews.

Edit: I've worn Le 3me Homme de Caron many times, and clove has never stood out to me. Mostly jasmine, white florals, lavender, carnation, vanilla - but everything is wonderfully blended in and nothing stands out. Has a particular combination of freshness and creaminess.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Caron's Le 3eme Homme (The Third Man) is one of the best things i've smelled in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    For purposes of benchmarking, I don't know if you've tried any of Jacomo de Jacomo, Noir Epices, Comme des Garçons Parfum, Opium, Christopher Street, or Chanel Coco. Those are some of the clove-heavy fragrances I can think of. Compared to those, clove is very subdued in Le 3me Homme de Caron. The note pyramid on Fragrantica doesn't make any sense to me. The note pyramid on Basenotes doesn't even list cloves. If you look at the BN reviews, not many mention cloves, especially among the earlier reviews.

Edit: I've worn Le 3me Homme de Caron many times, and clove has never stood out to me. Mostly jasmine, white florals, lavender, carnation, vanilla - but everything is wonderfully blended in and nothing stands out. Has a particular combination of freshness and creaminess.
    That’s really useful, thanks. I recall a couple of those, yes. Freshness and creaminess sounds right up my street. And I love lavender and the more ‘traditional’ of compositions.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post

I always assumed the light spicy note was carnation. To me, Third Man is primarily a floral scent with a powdery, fougere foundation. Definitely agree it is NOT a clovey-spicy scent, and the "notes according to you" thing on Fragrantica just shows how much people are swayed by what they think they should smell.

This is how Caron describes it:
    "Combining Italian lemon, bergamot, coriander and vetiver, the accord evokes a manly refinement that appeals to men looking for understated elegance."

WTH? Makes it sound like a traditional EDC or something.

Quote Originally Posted by broguesforsir View Post
    That’s really useful, thanks. I recall a couple of those, yes. Freshness and creaminess sounds right up my street. And I love lavender and the more ‘traditional’ of compositions.
    You will love it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Reading this makes me want to jump on Fragrantica and get a bottle of this! One of the classics I haven’t smelled yet!
    Currently wearing: Knize Ten by Knize

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Coincidentally wearing this today. One of the best of the 80's dandy revival fougères.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: English Leather by Dana

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    You will love it.
    I think I’m going to have to order me some..

Bump.
    Finally blind bought this one, wearing on skin for the first time this morning.

First thoughts:The only words I can muster up about it right now are cuss words.
    Holy fuck it’s good. Shockingly good.

Dependent

So far I've only ever had a sample of it, and remember having a couple dabs on the back of my hand and bringing my hand up to my nose to sniff it more times than I'd ever done with any other frag. I like gardening, so I think that floral thing in 3rd Man really got to me.
    I never got a full bottle, as I recall, because I thought it might be a bit too fem, plus read a couple comments about limited performance. I may have to reconsider, and maybe I'll play it safe and get a 1 or 2 ml sample again and experiment with it.

Still one of the most outright beautiful fragrances in my collection. Unbelievable quality-for-price ratio, too.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Making me want to wear mine again.

Basenotes Plus

It’s great. So is L’Anarchiste btw.

Basenotes Plus

All right then, I'm wearing it tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    It’s great. So is L’Anarchiste btw.
    Yes yes yes I'm going to try it! XD

(unfortunately blind, since it's impossible to sample).

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Yes yes yes I'm going to try it! XD

(unfortunately blind, since it's impossible to sample).
    But it’s cheap and Uber cool in its bottle.

a quarter million, tops

This fragrance has grown from an eh, to a downright love. So good. And for the price I may back it up, which is not something I do lightly.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    But it’s cheap and Uber cool in its bottle.
    Caron bottles are always cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    So far I've only ever had a sample of it, and remember having a couple dabs on the back of my hand and bringing my hand up to my nose to sniff it more times than I'd ever done with any other frag. I like gardening, so I think that floral thing in 3rd Man really got to me.
    I never got a full bottle, as I recall, because I thought it might be a bit too fem, plus read a couple comments about limited performance. I may have to reconsider, and maybe I'll play it safe and get a 1 or 2 ml sample again and experiment with it.
    Having just got this, I’m new to it so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But-

1. “Feminine” NEVER crossed my mind with this one. I think it’s more in the other direction of being powerhouse/masculine. I love feminine perfumes and wear many women’s fragrances, but nothing about this strikes me as fem.

2. Performance- the afternoon I got this, I sprayed it on a tester and set it on my dresser. That night when I went to bed(probably 5-7 hours later), while laying in bed I kept smelling something incredible. I thought I had accidentally sprayed Santos concentree on my sheets or something. I got up to look around and it was that little tester strip smelling up my room.
    Perhaps on some people’s skins it could just not be that great though?

Again, these are first impressions with a new fragrance, but “feminine” & “weak” are the opposite of what I get out of this one. But we all experience scents differently. Ymmv

My wife loved this years ago. I have not owned it in at least 6 years or so. May be time to re-visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post
    Having just got this, I’m new to it so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But-

1. “Feminine” NEVER crossed my mind with this one. I think it’s more in the other direction of being powerhouse/masculine. I love feminine perfumes and wear many women’s fragrances, but nothing about this strikes me as fem.

2. Performance- the afternoon I got this, I sprayed it on a tester and set it on my dresser. That night when I went to bed(probably 5-7 hours later), while laying in bed I kept smelling something incredible. I thought I had accidentally sprayed Santos concentree on my sheets or something. I got up to look around and it was that little tester strip smelling up my room.
    Perhaps on some people’s skins it could just not be that great though?

Again, these are first impressions with a new fragrance, but “feminine” & “weak” are the opposite of what I get out of this one. But we all experience scents differently. Ymmv
    Pour un Homme has great longevity too, I can smell it on a shirt twenty four hours after I've sprayed it. I suppose it helps that Pour un Homme in my opinion is meant to be profusely applied. I think what happens is people's nose blocks out the smell when they've become familiar with it, and that causes them to say it doesn't last.

Can't believe I've never tried 3rd Man. I know it would be right up my street. Caron frags aren't stocked in my neck of the woods

Basenotes Junkie

My bottle is on its way

Congrats!

Basenotes Junkie

thanks ))

Blog Entries

I guess I'm the only one who thinks this frag sucks.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Black Bold by Kenneth Cole

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who thinks this frag sucks.
    Bet you’re not.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    My bottle is on its way
    Don't forget to share your thoughts when it arrives.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.