Code of Conduct

Default Aldehydes that work well with cedar and patchouly

Hi, are there any aldehydes, or any other high impact aroma chemicals, that work well with cedar and patchouli notes?

Default Re: Aldehydes that work well with cedar and patchouly

Quote Originally Posted by bsouthers View Post
    Hi, are there any aldehydes, or any other high impact aroma chemicals, that work well with cedar and patchouli notes?
    All of them, properly used...perhaps you are thinking of a particular direction with the fragrance or looking to get a specific function from an aldehyde?

Quote Originally Posted by I.D.Adam View Post
    All of them, properly used...perhaps you are thinking of a particular direction with the fragrance or looking to get a specific function from an aldehyde?
    Hi Adam, I knew I should have mentioned the specific direction! You all are too good. I am working on a cedar, patchouli, rum, vanilla type scent. Very woody with a hint of spice (mostly cardamom at the moment). I have used cedarwood Texas, boid d'encens, blood cedar, and cedarwood terpenes, as well as clearwood+Indonesian patchouli. I also added a small amount of ebanol and it works very well, but after about 30-45 minutes it flattens out some - it still smells really, really nice but I am looking for something to give it a lighter note on top that lasts longer than typical top notes do...just a small amount. Thanks!

Hi Adam, I knew I should have mentioned the specific direction! You all are too good. I am working on a cedar, patchouli, rum, vanilla type scent. Very woody with a hint of spice (mostly cardamom at the moment). I have used cedarwood Texas, boid d'encens, blood cedar, and cedarwood terpenes, as well as clearwood+Indonesian patchouli. I also added a small amount of ebanol and it works very well, but after about 30-45 minutes it flattens out some - it still smells really, really nice but I am looking for something to give it a lighter note on top that lasts longer than typical top notes do...just a small amount. Thanks!
    Why don't you try adding some Ambroxan, Iso E Super, Vertofix, musks etc? They aren't top notes but can flesh it out.

Black/pink pepper would be a good topnote
    Clove/eugenol in the middle for warmth or spice
    Vertenex in the middle for a softer wood aspect

With the aldehydes, start at low doses 0.02% and work your way up.

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    Why don't you try adding some Ambroxan, Iso E Super, Vertofix, musks etc? They aren't top notes but can flesh it out.

Black/pink pepper would be a good topnote
    Clove/eugenol in the middle for warmth or spice
    Vertenex in the middle for a softer wood aspect

With the aldehydes, start at low doses 0.02% and work your way up.
    Thanks for your thoughts! I actually have Ambroxan, Iso E Super, Vertofix, and several musks in there. I created an accord of ambroxan, cedramber, and vertofix. Clove sounds like a really good idea...it would go well with cardamom. Thanks again.

Both rose and/or orange would likely be nice with your base in which case you might try C8, C9 and C10. I like 9 & 10 combined. If you just wanted some lift from the aldehydes without adding much in the way of scent you might try C12 MNA.

besides the aldehydes, maybe you could try some clary sage
    'Today I'm a star. What will I be tomorrow? A black hole?'
    — Woody Allen

Thanks for your thoughts! I actually have Ambroxan, Iso E Super, Vertofix, and several musks in there. I created an accord of ambroxan, cedramber, and vertofix. Clove sounds like a really good idea...it would go well with cardamom. Thanks again.
    I don't get this. These are 3 of the ingredients I have written down to buy specifically for diffusion and power for the first 2 hours at least I was thinking.
    You would think this would be enough to make base notes accord and then add your 'super power accord' to create a linear formula.
    Well I have no advice, just happy I learned it's not that easy!
    I guess you are stuck researching what material makes the power accord sing now.

I ordered a raisin note today. If I were in front of it, I could not help but just plop raisin in there, thinking, well, raisin goes with rum, so...

IF you are trying to maintain a purely woody/warm/incense type scent.
    then C9 + C12 is the way to go...

Both are complex, waxy woody...
    C9 smells like burnt out candles
    C12, well... it sparkles, super complex I can smell so manny things in it

M
    Long, dark Vancouver winters

Cashmeran + timbersilk work great with cedar and will definitely give lift!!!
    Coumarin/tonka bean works well too, as does eugenol/cloves...
    Pine + Juniper, Canadian evergreen/Christmas tree oils really lift cedar well.

Have you seen my cashmeran
    This accord is somewhat cedar centred; it`s loud, woody, spicy + dry:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/460...-facets-accord

If you were to do this;
    C12 + C9 + cashmeran, eugenol + pepper + timbersilk + pine = powerful dry, spicy cedar centred accord.
    Long, dark Vancouver winters

I wonder if Solanone (actually a ketone, not an aldehyde) might take things in a more sweet "tobacco" direction?
    You want to go in a more woody grapefruit direction, maybe a tiny bit of nootkatone (actually works well with cedar).