Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Default Aldehydes that work well with cedar and patchouly

    Hi, are there any aldehydes, or any other high impact aroma chemicals, that work well with cedar and patchouli notes?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Aldehydes that work well with cedar and patchouly

    Quote Originally Posted by bsouthers View Post
    Hi, are there any aldehydes, or any other high impact aroma chemicals, that work well with cedar and patchouli notes?
    All of them, properly used...perhaps you are thinking of a particular direction with the fragrance or looking to get a specific function from an aldehyde?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Aldehydes that work well with cedar and patchouly

    Quote Originally Posted by I.D.Adam View Post
    All of them, properly used...perhaps you are thinking of a particular direction with the fragrance or looking to get a specific function from an aldehyde?
    Hi Adam, I knew I should have mentioned the specific direction! You all are too good. I am working on a cedar, patchouli, rum, vanilla type scent. Very woody with a hint of spice (mostly cardamom at the moment). I have used cedarwood Texas, boid d'encens, blood cedar, and cedarwood terpenes, as well as clearwood+Indonesian patchouli. I also added a small amount of ebanol and it works very well, but after about 30-45 minutes it flattens out some - it still smells really, really nice but I am looking for something to give it a lighter note on top that lasts longer than typical top notes do...just a small amount. Thanks!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Aldehydes that work well with cedar and patchouly

    Quote Originally Posted by bsouthers View Post
    Hi Adam, I knew I should have mentioned the specific direction! You all are too good. I am working on a cedar, patchouli, rum, vanilla type scent. Very woody with a hint of spice (mostly cardamom at the moment). I have used cedarwood Texas, boid d'encens, blood cedar, and cedarwood terpenes, as well as clearwood+Indonesian patchouli. I also added a small amount of ebanol and it works very well, but after about 30-45 minutes it flattens out some - it still smells really, really nice but I am looking for something to give it a lighter note on top that lasts longer than typical top notes do...just a small amount. Thanks!
    Why don't you try adding some Ambroxan, Iso E Super, Vertofix, musks etc? They aren't top notes but can flesh it out.

    Black/pink pepper would be a good topnote
    Clove/eugenol in the middle for warmth or spice
    Vertenex in the middle for a softer wood aspect

    With the aldehydes, start at low doses 0.02% and work your way up.


  5. #5

    Default Re: Aldehydes that work well with cedar and patchouly

    Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    Why don't you try adding some Ambroxan, Iso E Super, Vertofix, musks etc? They aren't top notes but can flesh it out.

    Black/pink pepper would be a good topnote
    Clove/eugenol in the middle for warmth or spice
    Vertenex in the middle for a softer wood aspect

    With the aldehydes, start at low doses 0.02% and work your way up.
    Thanks for your thoughts! I actually have Ambroxan, Iso E Super, Vertofix, and several musks in there. I created an accord of ambroxan, cedramber, and vertofix. Clove sounds like a really good idea...it would go well with cardamom. Thanks again.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Aldehydes that work well with cedar and patchouly

    Quote Originally Posted by bsouthers View Post
    Hi Adam, I knew I should have mentioned the specific direction! You all are too good. I am working on a cedar, patchouli, rum, vanilla type scent. Very woody with a hint of spice (mostly cardamom at the moment). I have used cedarwood Texas, boid d'encens, blood cedar, and cedarwood terpenes, as well as clearwood+Indonesian patchouli. I also added a small amount of ebanol and it works very well, but after about 30-45 minutes it flattens out some - it still smells really, really nice but I am looking for something to give it a lighter note on top that lasts longer than typical top notes do...just a small amount. Thanks!
    Both rose and/or orange would likely be nice with your base in which case you might try C8, C9 and C10. I like 9 & 10 combined. If you just wanted some lift from the aldehydes without adding much in the way of scent you might try C12 MNA.

  7. #7
    Super Member Godmu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Aalst
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Aldehydes that work well with cedar and patchouly

    besides the aldehydes, maybe you could try some clary sage
    'Today I'm a star. What will I be tomorrow? A black hole?'
    — Woody Allen

  8. #8

    Default Re: Aldehydes that work well with cedar and patchouly

    Quote Originally Posted by bsouthers View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts! I actually have Ambroxan, Iso E Super, Vertofix, and several musks in there. I created an accord of ambroxan, cedramber, and vertofix. Clove sounds like a really good idea...it would go well with cardamom. Thanks again.
    I don't get this. These are 3 of the ingredients I have written down to buy specifically for diffusion and power for the first 2 hours at least I was thinking.
    You would think this would be enough to make base notes accord and then add your 'super power accord' to create a linear formula.
    Well I have no advice, just happy I learned it's not that easy!
    I guess you are stuck researching what material makes the power accord sing now.

    I ordered a raisin note today. If I were in front of it, I could not help but just plop raisin in there, thinking, well, raisin goes with rum, so...

  9. #9
    Basenotes Junkie mattmeleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    874

    Default Re: Aldehydes that work well with cedar and patchouly

    IF you are trying to maintain a purely woody/warm/incense type scent.
    then C9 + C12 is the way to go...

    Both are complex, waxy woody...
    C9 smells like burnt out candles
    C12, well... it sparkles, super complex I can smell so manny things in it

    M
    Long, dark Vancouver winters

  10. #10
    Basenotes Junkie mattmeleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    874

    Default Re: Aldehydes that work well with cedar and patchouly

    Quote Originally Posted by bsouthers View Post
    Hi, are there any aldehydes, or any other high impact aroma chemicals, that work well with cedar and patchouli notes?

    Cashmeran + timbersilk work great with cedar and will definitely give lift!!!
    Coumarin/tonka bean works well too, as does eugenol/cloves...
    Pine + Juniper, Canadian evergreen/Christmas tree oils really lift cedar well.

    Have you seen my cashmeran
    This accord is somewhat cedar centred; it`s loud, woody, spicy + dry:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/460...-facets-accord

    If you were to do this;
    C12 + C9 + cashmeran, eugenol + pepper + timbersilk + pine = powerful dry, spicy cedar centred accord.
    Long, dark Vancouver winters

  11. #11

    Default Re: Aldehydes that work well with cedar and patchouly

    I wonder if Solanone (actually a ketone, not an aldehyde) might take things in a more sweet "tobacco" direction?
    You want to go in a more woody grapefruit direction, maybe a tiny bit of nootkatone (actually works well with cedar).




Similar Threads

  1. Fragrance free work zone, would it break your decision to work there?
    By speckmann0706 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11th May 2018, 06:49 AM
  2. What are your work horses? Most used work scents/dumb grabs
    By lunchbox148 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 13th August 2016, 01:12 AM
  3. My favorite variety of cedar isn't even a cedar.
    By tensor9 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 4th December 2015, 09:41 AM
  4. What House's That Work and Don't Work for You in General
    By thebeck in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 14th June 2008, 01:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000