Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wow, What Have They Done To Knize Ten.... It's Now PC Safe!

Back in 2013 I had a sample of this which I kept coming back to as the drydown was mesmerising. But at the time what put me off was the oily garage mechanic leather accord. It was quite challenging and smelled like you had been changing the oil in your car. Months and years or so passed and I kept trying hoping one day it will just click and I would buy a bottle as the scent was compelling. Well my sample got used up and many years passed.

Well fast forward to the 2018 and I finally decided to test this one again. So I purchased a 15ml bottle of Knize Ten, Knize Ten Golden Edition (yet to try) and a 15ml bottle of Knize Forest as you got free shipping at a certain amount. Why not..lol

So today I was bracing myself for the oily assault and decided to grab the bull by the horns so to speak and ride it until I have tamed the oily beast that is Knize Ten. Well I poured it into my hand and too much came out as there was no stopper on it like the other bottles so I gave myself a good splash over my cheeks and neck. The room absolutely reeks of Knize Ten. When you go out and back in again the gorgeous scent assaults you in a good way.

Now instead of that oily garage mechanic leather I got a very beautiful fresh leather with a powdery multitude of notes hitting my senses all at once. I could pick up the leather and the oil was just slight and gone was the intense oily garage mechanic vibe. This is more PC safe than I remember from my challenging sample. Now I'm not complaining in the least as it's more beautiful than I remember. It's love at first sniff, it's so complex. I cannot wait to try the Golden Edition tomorrow and compare.

So I guess this has been reformulated and tamed.

Last edited by Jack Hunter; 13th December 2018 at 05:58 PM.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Top Five

1. Vintage Lauder For Men Cologne
    2. D.R. Harris Sandalwood (Aftershave)
    3. Vintage King Kouros Edt
    4. G F Trumper Eucris EdT & Edp
    5. Armani Eau Pour Homme

Default Re: Wow, What Have They Done To Knize Ten.... It's Now PC Safe!

Indeed it has and that was a while ago now I think.

I still can't justify getting a bottle as the dry down is not what it used to be. As ever, I enjoy reading your posts Jack so can't wait to read your thoughts on the Gold edition. Who knows, I may just end up grabbing a bottle myself!
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Thanks Rum I will post my thoughts on the Golden Edition Tomorrow.

I actually like this better than my memory of the vintage as I don't smell like I have spent the afternoon working underneath my car. Though I can understand people who loved the oily part would be upset with the reformulation. I love the explosion of fresh powdery notes, it makes the fragrance really interesting when you are engulfed in a beautiful haze of different notes. Though it could do with more leather as the other notes drown it out. I wonder how the Golden Edition is going to be like in tomorrows comparison.

My Top Five

5. Armani Eau Pour Homme

Basenotes Plus

This actually sounds rather promising for me (though I expect to be in the minority). Knize Ten is a masterpiece that I have always held in the highest esteem but I could never wear it myself for exactly the same reason you mention. This update has really piqued my interest and serves as a timely reminder that I need to get reacquainted. Thanks, Jack

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I love the explosion of fresh powdery notes, it makes the fragrance really interesting when you are engulfed in a beautiful haze of different notes.Though it could do with more leather as the other notes drown it out.
    From my wearing today in the office I couldn't agree more. The powdery notes seem to overwhelm and have been going strong all morning.

It's a joy as a basenoter when you get a fragrance that is beautiful, complex with a rich history behind it. Very easy to wear and aromatic, yes it's floral but just so compelling. I'm glad I got reacquainted with this scent after all these years.

My Top Five

5. Armani Eau Pour Homme

I have various iterations going back to the 60s. It's changed over time, no doubt. I still love it though, even in its current guise and the original more than the Golden.

'PC Safe' is a pretty weird way to sum it up though.
    No live organism can continue for love to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    I have various iterations going back to the 60s. It's changed over time, no doubt. I still love it though, even in its current guise and the original more than the Golden.

'PC Safe' is a pretty weird way to sum it up though.
    After wearing the vintage from a old sample years ago and not getting on well with the well known challenging oily aspect. And then today finding out the fragrance has been reformulated to suit the tastes of the modern day. The term politically correct or it's abbreviation seems apt for me, but then these things can be subjective.

My Top Five

5. Armani Eau Pour Homme

I have still not been able to get the Fragrance House and their website who makes Knize Ten ? So what is the Fragrance House called ? Do they have a Website ??

I actually never came across the website of the company who makes the fragrance. I got my mini bottles from https://www.parfumdreams.co.uk/Knize...dex_23050.aspx

They ship to Europe but I don't know if they ship internationally.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 13th December 2018 at 09:26 PM.

My Top Five

5. Armani Eau Pour Homme

Thanks for this post Jack. This new variant of Knize Ten sounds interesting. I will try to test it next time I visit Berlin.

If you like the fresh powdery notes you should also try Istinto Uomo from Kriza, (if you pm me I will happily send you a sample).
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Thanks for the offer david I appreciate it but I'm ok for samples at the moment. I have lots to go through but little time to wear everything. I will do some research on Kriza from Uomo and add it to the long list of scents I'm interested in.

I've been trying to count the amount of different notes I've been picking up with Knize ten but lost count. I can smell, leather, Jasmine, musk, orris, orange, citrus and a fruity note, musk. There is more but it gets hard to recognise them all, wonderfully complex.

My Top Five

5. Armani Eau Pour Homme

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

It's a joy as a basenoter when you get a fragrance that is beautiful, complex with a rich history behind it.
    Very true.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I bought a big bottle of K10 this year so i assume it is a recent batch - have never got my nose on vintage but the one i have is truly amazing, rich and has excellent power.
    Good buy Jack!
    Currently wearing: Cuir Andalou by Rania J

Thank you for the info. Happening to incidentally own a 2008 (or even earlier, most likely mid 2000s) bottle of it, did not realize to by know own an unexpectedly and almost inadvertently (near ?) vintage bottle of it.
    Which is actually some quite good news, given not just the high esteem for this and almost any vintage fragrance, but also for any formulation of K10 in particular.

For once the longevity and projection is very good on my skin for a reformulation. For over six hours and counting I have been getting constant wafts from this beauty. Though I did accidentally over-apply.

My Top Five

5. Armani Eau Pour Homme

Blog Entries

I had a similar experience to you Jack. I am glad for the reformulation, still smells rich and vintage, but has changed a fair bit.
    Currently wearing: Au Hasard by Louis Vuitton

So I guess this has been reformulated and tamed.
    it almost certainly has. And I agree that the current version is much easier to wear, albeit less distinct than what it used to be.

I actually never came across the website of the company who makes the fragrance. I got my mini bottles from https://www.parfumdreams.co.uk/Knize...dex_23050.aspx

They ship to Europe but I don't know if they ship internationally.
    They're based in Germany. I think they ship internationally.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Knize 10 Gold.jpg

Well I have been wearing the Golden Edition all morning and it's quite a comedown from the glorious original that I smelled yesterday. Basically they have stripped nearly all the floral's, citrus freshness, complexity and cut way back on the powder. And you get the leather front and centre with what smells like talc on top and this stays with you for a good while. Like the original the leather fades but instead of been left with the beautiful floral basenotes the slightly sweet talc aspect becomes more prominent.

It still smells great and if you do not care for the fresh powdery floral aspect of the original and just want the leather then this one will make you happy. The opening though on the original was fantastic with it's glorious intoxication of lush fresh floral citrus notes that smelled like a bouquet that you just had to say wow. And the complexity had my nose entertained for many hours, I even woke up in the middle of the night and could smell the scent strongly upon myself.

The longevity, sillage and projection are very good on both. The original lasted till the next morning and with both if I go out of the room and go back in I can still smell it in the air.

The original is like going to a concert and enjoying a orchestra playing complex musical compositions. Where as the Gold Edition is like going to your local pub/bar and listening to a talented karaoke singer. lol

So all in all it comes down to whether you want the whole show with the leather, florals and complexity. Or you just want the leather and talc as it is a bit more masculine.

My Top Five

5. Armani Eau Pour Homme

I have a sample of Knize Ten, and find it delightful, if not quite as leathery as I might wish. I also have a sample of Knize Forest waiting to be tried.
    Glad to hear of your good experience buying it from parfumdreams, as I have been looking at their site for a purchase of K10. In fact, thanks for the reminder !
    Deep Winter : cold and clean : Etro Heliotrope, CdG Zagorsk; cold and dark : Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo, Lalique Encre Noire; incense etc : Penhaligon's Elixir, Etro Ambra, CdG Avignon, Unum Io Non Ho Mani
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

So all in all it comes down to whether you want the whole show with the leather, florals and complexity.
    So this would be the Knize Ten Classic ?

Or you just want the leather and talc as it is a bit more masculine.
    And this one the Golden Edition ?

Quote Originally Posted by augustya View Post
    So this would be the Knize Ten Classic ?

And this one the Golden Edition ?
    Yes you got it!

My Top Five

5. Armani Eau Pour Homme

How is Dior Sauvage compared to Knize Ten ?

Thanks for the offer david I appreciate it but I'm ok for samples at the moment. I have lots to go through but little time to wear everything. I will do some research on Kriza from Uomo and add it to the long list of scents I'm interested in.

I've been trying to count the amount of different notes I've been picking up with Knize ten but lost count. I can smell, leather, Jasmine, musk, orris, orange, citrus and a fruity note, musk. There is more but it gets hard to recognise them all, wonderfully complex.
    Sounds amazing, (just to recap, the fresh powdery fragrance I am referring to is not Krizia Uomo - it's called Istinto Uomo).
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by augustya View Post
    How is Dior Sauvage compared to Knize Ten ?
    Reliant Robin v Rolls Royce.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Could not have said it better myself. lol

My Top Five

5. Armani Eau Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Maybe you are saying that after keeping in mind the initial blast of smell that comes from Knize Ten. But as people have said earlier, Knize Ten does not project too well, just an average performer isn't it ?

The projection on my skin is really good with the original where as the Golden Edition it's more moderate.

When the floral jasmine aspects come out of this scent it reminds me of Creeds Royal Delight. Now that's long been discontinued but it's spirit lives on in the makeup of Knize Ten.

My Top Five

5. Armani Eau Pour Homme

Basenotes Junkie

So all in all it comes down to whether you want the whole show with the leather, florals and complexity. Or you just want the leather and talc as it is a bit more masculine.
    Thanks for the write-up Jack! I was wondering what the difference was between the two as I've not smelled the Gold edition. I'll remain happy with my modern original blend of K10! Now to try and get my hands on the Knize Forest!!