Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Bulgari Man in Black Series

I have purchased and enjoy Bulgari Man in Black and Man in Black Orient. I have a sample of the Cologne which I'm looking forward to trying.

MIB: Sort of like SpiceBomb but with some nice tubersose in the middle and maybe more boozy in the start.
    MIB Orient: Has an oud element and seems to be less sweet than MIB original.

Is anyone else a fan of this series? What do you think of the other members (Cologne, Extreme, Wood Essence)?

Also, I don't know anything about the original Bulgari Man of which MIB is a "flanker series" (is that right?).

Default Re: Bulgari Man in Black Series

Own and love the original Man in Black. Gets compliments like nothing else in my collection, often 4-5 hours after application. The annoying white musks in Spicebomb's drydown were too much for me. Can you elaborate a little more on Black Orient and how it differs from the original?

I own and love both MIB and it's oudier sibling, Man Black Orient. Have not cared as much for Man, Man Extreme or Man Black Cologne. Have yet to try Man Wood Essence.
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA
    Currently wearing: cK one by Calvin Klein

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Pauer_Haus View Post
    Own and love the original Man in Black. Gets compliments like nothing else in my collection, often 4-5 hours after application. The annoying white musks in Spicebomb's drydown were too much for me. Can you elaborate a little more on Black Orient and how it differs from the original?
    I'm not great with notes, but Black Orient feels dryer and grassier in the start. Orient also has a sort of yin/yang balsamic feel in the drydown that you get from oud. Maybe someone else can elaborate further..

I really enjoy MiB. I think the 'fresh' streak in the middle of the scent along with the black tea note make this unique enough that it can stay in a collection with another tobacco fragrance without being redundant.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

I have both as well. I like mib more for layering as a base. As the scent itself is not spectacular on its own for me , but is perfect as a night time base scent to amp up other more unique but related scents over it.
    Orient I wear on its own as it smells distinctive but sometimes the leather and wood/oud vibe is a tiresome smelling.
    Creed Original Santal
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the input guys. Anyone else? Please let me know your thoughts, positive or "constructve" :-)

I have Man in Black. It is indeed quite a bit nicer than spicebomb.

I consider it to be a decent mainstream scent that's crowdpleasing but also nice to wear. It's not my favourite or anything like that.
    Currently wearing: Devin by Aramis

Basenotes Plus

I tried MiB Cologne yesterday. It has a synthetic "citrus" note that literally makes me feel ill. It was an early scrubber for me.

Man in Black is an absolute beast, I can only wear it on a couple of occasions.

DanHD, I blind bought Black Orient on your and others' recommendation and have not been disappointed, it really is a slightly dryer / heavier connoisseur version of the original. The leather and oud combo really darkens things; it has a smoky incensy vibe that was only hinted at in the original. There is a green / herbal streak that's not really accounted for in the note pyramid.

Overall I think awesome things are happening in this grey area between designer and niche. Remember that Man in Black was originally a black-tie formal flanker of Bvlgari Man, and now has flankers of its own, suggesting that it's been a runway success for them. Something to think about whenever we bemoan the simple tastes of the masses...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Pauer_Haus View Post
    DanHD, I blind bought Black Orient on your and others' recommendation and have not been disappointed, it really is a slightly dryer / heavier connoisseur version of the original. The leather and oud combo really darkens things; it has a smoky incensy vibe that was only hinted at in the original. There is a green / herbal streak that's not really accounted for in the note pyramid.

Overall I think awesome things are happening in this grey area between designer and niche. Remember that Man in Black was originally a black-tie formal flanker of Bvlgari Man, and now has flankers of its own, suggesting that it's been a runway success for them. Something to think about whenever we bemoan the simple tastes of the masses...
    I'm glad you like MiB Orient Pauer_Haus. I'm gonna wear it tomorrow.