Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: baby powder

Blog Entries

Default baby powder

I'm tired this evening. I want baby powder and I've got it, but I want something lasting in an edt or edp. Not Demeter. I already did try to Google "fragrance that smells like baby powder" and read some things that made me even more tired. For example, that Shalimar smells like baby powder. wtf. I'm looking at Vol de Nuit, and knowing I love the dry down, but it's not what I'm after. I'm sure I could figure something out....but I just want somebody to tell it to me so I don't have to make all that effort. I'm fresh out of effort.

What fragrance most smells like J&J baby powder, from the first minutes to the dry down?
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.
    Currently wearing: Beatrix by Caswell-Massey

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: baby powder

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    I'm tired this evening. I want baby powder and I've got it, but I want something lasting in an edt or edp. Not Demeter. I already did try to Google "fragrance that smells like baby powder" and read some things that made me even more tired. For example, that Shalimar smells like baby powder. wtf. I'm looking at Vol de Nuit, and knowing I love the dry down, but it's not what I'm after. I'm sure I could figure something out....but I just want somebody to tell it to me so I don't have to make all that effort. I'm fresh out of effort.

What fragrance most smells like J&J baby powder, from the first minutes to the dry down?
    What about Love's Baby Soft? It's an old drugstore classic made to smell exactly like baby powder.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: The Dreamer by Versace

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    What about Love's Baby Soft? It's an old drugstore classic made to smell exactly like baby powder.
    Really? Have you ever smelled it? Avon's Sweet Honesty was also being mentioned--ever smelled that one?
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Really? Have you ever smelled it? Avon's Sweet Honesty was also being mentioned--ever smelled that one?
    Love's Baby Soft is literally composed to simulate baby powder; that's its reason to exist. Sweet Honesty is nice, but not intentionally a baby powder smell.

Mona di Orio Musc is my go-to baby powder scent.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

You'll probably smell baby powder for quite some time, and you don't even have to spend $$ for a new fragrance. You're welcome.

shycat_rec.jpg

Don't use paper money though, that's gross.
    Currently wearing: Moena 12|69 by Carta

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    You'll probably smell baby powder for quite some time, and you don't even have to spend $$ for a new fragrance. You're welcome.

shycat_rec.jpg

Too much asbestos. Cocaine would be safer.

I have Loves' Baby Soft, an Etsy fragrance oil "Baby Powder", and samples of Mona di Orio Musc on the way. Naturally, I was forced to choose four other Mona di Orio fragances to fill out the sample set--I chose the amber, rose, vetiver, and vanilla ones to try.

So this is good. This is how it works, right? I have strange fragrance fatigue and the solution is 7 new things to try.

Indubitably, my dear Watson.

Fight fire with fire, Shycat!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Too much asbestos. Cocaine would be safer.

I have Loves' Baby Soft, an Etsy fragrance oil "Baby Powder", and samples of Mona di Orio Musc on the way. Naturally, I was forced to choose four other Mona di Orio fragances to fill out the sample set--I chose the amber, rose, vetiver, and vanilla ones to try.

So this is good. This is how it works, right? I have strange fragrance fatigue and the solution is 7 new things to try.

Indubitably, my dear Watson.
    Indeebledeedoo

In 1980 my boyfriend INSISTED I was wearing baby powder.

It was L'Heure Bleu edt.
    It did kind of smell like baby powder on the drydown.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Basenotes Member Xenoarthropoda's Avatar

I get some of that vibe from Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue dried, but it might not be J&J. I do not have any of that on hand to compare. Hasn't J&Js powder scent changed over time like so many fragrances? I do not even know the current smell.

Perhaps you can try Burberry Brit Rhythm, @Shycat? I sort of got that powder in the beginning but was not a fan of a peony-like scent on the skin in the late dry down. I only wore it twice after blind buying it at a discount outlet. That is just me with peony so far though, something about it that I do not want to wear for long.

Or try all the "Powder" scented deodorants?
    Currently wearing: Snow Flower by Victorinox

Freed from BN Institution

How about Talcum powder fragrances like this one?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

Thanks for the early morning chuckles, you guys!

Perhaps Noa by Cacharel?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Not sure about the J&J part but Angel Face by Ava Luxe is very powdery & does make me think of baby powder.

I find any fragrance with a white musk note is really baby powder like.

Donna Karan Cashmere Mist original is very baby powder.

And for me now this one is off the wall Habanita in edt version I always thought was very baby powder.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Arabie by Serge Lutens

Les Nereides Douceur de la Vanille is my baby powder scent of choice.
    But it's a very "upmarket" baby powder!!
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoarthropoda View Post
    I get some of that vibe from Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue dried, but it might not be J&J. I do not have any of that on hand to compare. Hasn't J&Js powder scent changed over time like so many fragrances? I do not even know the current smell.

Perhaps you can try Burberry Brit Rhythm, @Shycat? I sort of got that powder in the beginning but was not a fan of a peony-like scent on the skin in the late dry down. I only wore it twice after blind buying it at a discount outlet. That is just me with peony so far though, something about it that I do not want to wear for long.

Or try all the "Powder" scented deodorants?
    Damn, Xeno, good call. I can see how you got the baby powder vibe. My eyebrows really went up when I saw this rec, because I'm thinking, Holy Cats, I have a sample of that one. Heh. Thanks for looking at my sample wardrobe. I forget people can do that to me--even as I peruse everybody else's wardrobe like I'm at the mall.

Le Labo's Ambrette

Basenotes Member Xenoarthropoda's Avatar

Good morning @Shycat!

Thanks for the credit, but I only checked the "collection" part of your wardrobe(this time). Although, I have perused the whole thing a few days ago. Maybe my memory is better than I think. Do not ask me what happened 5 minutes ago, but I remember being stuck in the crib. lol

I will admit, I am a wardrobe peruser...

Being plain curious, and having bought a few fragrances that I want to trade, I should probably make a better effort of getting my post count up. My tendency to make a long-ish post can tire me out though.

I need to finish my wardrobe, especially the samples section. I wish there were a quicker way. Slow loading over here.
    Currently wearing: Snow Flower by Victorinox

I smell something

I hesitate to mention it, because I don't see it online much apart from a couple bottles on Ebay that are going for $140. That's a lot more than what I paid four-five years ago. I think it was @ $50. But it's my Powdery Perfume Nonpareil:

Joseph Jivago Sweet Dreams
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Les Nereides Douceur de la Vanille is my baby powder scent of choice.
    But it's a very "upmarket" baby powder!!
    -_- What's a nervous breakdown without a blind buy.

If not now, when?

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post

shycat_rec.jpg

lmao

I have had tons of people say I smell like baby powder when I wear Shalimar.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Prices vary widely for this one. Get the cologne spray rather than the cologne body mist. An unopened bottle and box can set you back a tidy sum these days ($200 for something that originally sold for under $20), but there are some deals around. Here's one that seems full, for $29.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lov...TRO:rk:23:pf:0
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Prices vary widely for this one. Get the cologne spray rather than the cologne body mist. An unopened bottle and box can set you back a tidy sum these days ($200 for something that originally sold for under $20), but there are some deals around. Here's one that seems full, for $29.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lov...TRO:rk:23:pf:0
    I'd already gone for a cologne mist, so I got the one you linked to as well and will compare.

I've also got a sample of Montale's Powder Flowers I'll dig out for later.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I'd already gone for a cologne mist, so I got the one you linked to as well and will compare.

I've also got a sample of Montale's Powder Flowers I'll dig out for later.
    They still make it in some form, I was expecting y'all to go for modern and not vintage, but vintage works too!

Oh god I hate the smell of baby powder. I found the Perfect Veil of Sarah Horowitz to be very baby powder musk centric. More grownup but that smell,it was in there. Looking through my samples i can't find it, I'd certainly send it to you if I could. May have tossed it in a fit of pique but I really don't remember doing so.

Amazon seems to have a large selection of affordable baby perfumes, I am reasonably confident one of those probably smells just like baby powder and wouldn't break the bank.

If it may be no problem to (re) test officially masculine but in fact, technically and practically speaking quite unisex fragrances, would also add-with apologies in advance if being slightly off topic- Jovan Musk (its renditions/version for both/any gender) and Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet to this list, since hardly ever masculine fragrances did achieve such a credible and crafty rendition, with the sensing/sensation of powder being so intense, raw, immediate, convincing and altogether fascinating and complex
    Currently wearing: Tasmeem by Rasasi

Blog Entries

They still make it in some form, I was expecting y'all to go for modern and not vintage, but vintage works too!
    You know me--my first choice was modern, but then....eeeehhhhh, I couldn't resist the temptation to make the modern/vintage comparison at drugstore level. I did it with it with a whole new 75ml tester of FdtRB, btw. At the risk of slings and arrows, I was never an oakmoss fan and have avoided chypres, generally. Ambergris is another matter for me. I found my ambergris tincture box, but not the tiny little bottle. It's possible I gave out samples to oblivion, but that's one fragrance I hold in my mind with crystalline memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
    Oh god I hate the smell of baby powder. I found the Perfect Veil of Sarah Horowitz to be very baby powder musk centric. More grownup but that smell,it was in there. Looking through my samples i can't find it, I'd certainly send it to you if I could. May have tossed it in a fit of pique but I really don't remember doing so.
    Heh. I own Perfect Veil. Further more, and slightly off topic: Fit Of Pique should be the name of perfume. I'd have to wear it at least once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    If it may be no problem to (re) test officially masculine but in fact, technically and practically speaking quite unisex fragrances, would also add-with apologies in advance if being slightly off topic- Jovan Musk (its renditions/version for both/any gender) and Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet to this list, since hardly ever masculine fragrances did achieve such a credible and crafty rendition, with the sensing/sensation of powder being so intense, raw, immediate, convincing and altogether fascinating and complex
    I have Jovan White Musk, but not the plain Musk. I never smelled Hammam Bouquet. "I'd like to try it" she thinks, completely ignoring the fact that weeks of masculine sampling helped push me into this state of olfactory exhaustion, and is the very thing I was thinking about avoiding as my heart started to yearn for uber feminine. My son is home. Perhaps I can put him to use--foreign real estate.

It's crossed my mind that I should ask the mods to lock this thread before my PayPal account starts to sizzle. Naaaaaahhhh.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

You know me--my first choice was modern, but then....eeeehhhhh, I couldn't resist the temptation to make the modern/vintage comparison at drugstore level. I did it with it with a whole new 75ml tester of FdtRB, btw. At the risk of slings and arrows, I was never an oakmoss fan and have avoided chypres, generally. Ambergris is another matter for me. I found my ambergris tincture box, but not the tiny little bottle. It's possible I gave out samples to oblivion, but that's one fragrance I hold in my mind with crystalline memory.

Heh. I own Perfect Veil. Further more, and slightly off topic: Fit Of Pique should be the name of perfume. I'd have to wear it at least once a week.

I have Jovan White Musk, but not the plain Musk. I never smelled Hammam Bouquet. "I'd like to try it" she thinks, completely ignoring the fact that weeks of masculine sampling helped push me into this state of olfactory exhaustion, and is the very thing I was thinking about avoiding as my heart started to yearn for uber feminine. My son is home. Perhaps I can put him to use--foreign real estate.

It's crossed my mind that I should ask the mods to lock this thread before my PayPal account starts to sizzle. Naaaaaahhhh.
    Hammam Bouquet to me isn't much powdery, just very dry and civeted rose with sandalwood. Very Victorian as it should be considering it's 1870's release year.

Blog Entries

Hammam Bouquet to me isn't much powdery, just very dry and civeted rose with sandalwood. Very Victorian as it should be considering it's 1870's release year.
    Well, thank God for that.