Code of Conduct

Question Date Night recommendation for her....

I've enjoyed searching for the perfect date night scent for me in this thread and this one. The next project is finding the perfect date night scents/signature scents for her. I think I'm going to enjoy being the critic more than being the subject.

About her: She's 40, sassy, more flashy than me. I'd describe her as the flashy side of professional. I have to remind her to wear the clothes and not let the clothes wear her, so I don't think she will be self conscious of projection. Not that this is all about her. I want her to find the right scent for my benefit! I guess you'd call it a win-win.

I'd love it if she wore a scent that when she gets up in the morning I have to roll over to her side just to smell where she was. I want her to make me dizzy, which I can't recall a perfume doing to me since I was a teenager.

So...where should I start? I haven't the slightest hint at what I like and don't like, so we're starting blind. I do know she hates the smell of baby powder. I suspect this might be a by product of having children after she thought she was through having children (whoops!). Other than that, I have no clue of where to start.

What samples should I order to begin?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Date Night recommendation for her....

Are there any clues to the notes she enjoys, based on what she likes on you?

lf she's not shy about projection, l suggest Black Orchid, Samsara & Alien.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Freed from BN Institution

As teardrop has hinted, what kind of notes does she like or don't like?

There's a handful of things that I can throw out:

Vanilla: Indult - Tihota
    Coconut: Creed - Virgin Island Water
    Rose: Andy Tauer - Rose Flash
    Iris: Xerjoff - Irisss

As a starting point, I think your best bet is to visit a retail store like Sephora, Nordstroms, Bloomingdales, and if available in your area: Neimans, Saks, Barneys.

Luckscent is a good place to order samples particularly brands that are available online only.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

There has to be a best way to approach this. It's caught my imagination because she hates the smell of baby powder...which is la obsession du jour at my house. Seriously, this must surely be the feel-good basenotes thread equivalent to "Love Actually," second only to IsoE's search for the perfect lily. "Love, Actually" is, actually, a damn creepy movie. Lots-o-stalking.

#1. Just say no to Love's Baby Soft

I like N.Cal's approach to breaking things down by categories and taking suggestions about best examples of a genre regardless of house. This can turn into many monster threads.

Best amber.
    Best spicy oriental.
    Best (insert flower name) : rose, jasmine, tuberose. (Best available realistic lily is already threaded and well explored-- Serge Lutens Un Lys.)
    Best chypre. Also probably consensus on vintage Guerlain Mitsouko, although part of the love is the love of historically ground breaking type scents.
    Best vanilla
    Best woody
    Best green
    Best gourmand
    Best musk
    Best citrus
    Best patchouli

More categories could be fresh/aquatic, beachy/tropical, floriental. Musk can be further divided into clean musk, dirty musk, floral musk--at the least. Each of these basic categories will have a branching that's best of category for cold weather, best of category for hot weather.

We can't do all that.

Let's take focus from the "sexiest notes" recent thread. Lets go only for amber, vanilla, patchouli, floral, spicy oriental, floriental, gourmand, musk. We can give chypre to Mitsy and cross that category off as done. (Braces self for deluge of outraged fans naming other worthy chypres--bring it.)

Leather is a polarizing note and could be it's own category, but I have to draw the line somewhere. Ditto tobacco and incense.

From my wardrobe, in order of the list above, based sometimes on very, very limited sampling (except for florals) and considering actual compliments from others, trying to avoid too much powder and thinking "flashy side of professional," highlighting things I'd personally call sexy (very, very subjective.)

Montale's Blue Amber - I once avoided powdery ambers myself.
    Jalaine's Patchouli - catches vanilla and patchouli -- for very very nearly as good + way way less expensive = Sixteen92's Wicked.
    Shiseido's Rosarium - realistic rose soliflore-- can't imagine you getting dizzy for this one--But hey, YMMV.
    Bruno Acampora's Jasmin T - heartbreaking jasmine
    Amouage's Love Tuberose -- my one and only tuberose love
    Guerlain's Shalimar
    Guerlain's Nahema - very likely should be vintage as I haven't smelled the new one. Rose dominate floriental
    Shay and Blue's Salt Caramel - my favorite gourmand at the moment.
    Montale's White Musk

Abandoning all hope of organization, you probably ought to sample Bond # 9's Chinatown, Chanel No. 5, Dior's Hypnotic Poison.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

Wow!! What a great start! Thank y’all! When I place next order with Luckyscent I’ll get samples of the above. This is going to be fun!

I'm curious about this thread too but would like to know which perfumes she does and doesn't already like so I can think about what to recommend...off the cuff though, these seem to garner positive reactions; Twilly Hermes, Miss Dior le Parfum, Eau Duelle, A La Nuit, Samsara and Baiser Vole. All very different perfumes! I'd suggest sharing one of your Tauers with her, L'Air du Desert Marocain is a show stopper on male or female.

Blog Entries

I love this topic, because I'm all about head-in-the-cloud intoxicating fragrances.
    When I think of intoxicating, I think of the 80's rich powerhouses.

Vintage Dior Poison
    Vintage YSL Opium
    Vintage Dana Tabu
    Vintage CK Obsession

For more recent release, try

Amouage Memoir Woman
    Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur
    Mona di Orio Oudh Osmanthus
    Chanel Coromandel
    Agent Provocateur L'Agent
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

Narciso Rodriguez For Her Parfum Oil
    or Abdul Kareem Egyptian Musk (both so similar, can't go wrong)

And I see that OP already owns Au Coeur du Desert...
    Looking for:
    Hermessence Cuir D'Ange
    Hermessence Ambre Narguile

SELLING:
    Iris Silver Mist bell jar (99.9% full)

I will be ordering the samples soon. I don't know if this helps but the scent she ultimately decided for me is Oud Wood by Tom Ford. She also likes this scent . Apparently Zaharoff has a Wisconsin connection somehow. Also, we tried Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain on her and it was not a winner. Not sure if these are valuable clues but there you go.