Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Synthetics, naturals, and allergies

I recall reading a well done article on how most perfumes are constructed by synthetics and very few ingredients are truly naturals for the most part, and I believe it was on Basenotes a few years back, but I can't find it now. The reason I ask is I've been going through several rounds of allergy testing and have been coming up positive for...pretty much all of it - almost all tree pollens, molds, even feathers, dog, and cat. Although I understand the dog and cat one is not an indicator for all breeds. Shoot, I even tested positive for an allergy to chamomile of all things.

My mom when visiting said 'I bet your allergic to your perfume'. I mentioned most are made of synthetics or contain so very little of the actual plant extract, those that would affect me (Cedar, for example) are a tiny bit of what I use or own. Although, having reactions to some of 4160 Tuesday's Our Modern Lives and speciality perfumes makes sense now, especially those with wood notes - I believe it was their 'Alpha' perfume that caused a bad puffing reaction on me looking back.

Or if anyone can point to other articles, I'd appreciate it.
    Currently wearing: Battaniye by Pekji

Blog Entries

Default Re: Synthetics, naturals, and allergies

Did you go for one of those allergy testing where they needle it into your skin?
    Because most things (natural and synthetics) aren't made to exist inside our flesh, so of course our bodies react to foreign matter.
    That's why I hold these tests at such low esteem.

Everyone comes out of the clinic "allergic" to 97% of the stuff they tested.

Just because one is allergic to oatmeal on a skin and flesh level, does not mean their digestive tract is sensitive or allergic to oatmeal when consumed the way they are meant to be consumed (not through your skin).
    Last edited by VintagePoison; 23rd December 2018 at 05:18 AM.

I don't remember the article you mention.

However, you will find lots of articles and discussion on IFRA, the enemy of most perfume lovers. IFRA severely restricts many materials, especially naturals. If IFRA finds that a few people get red with some material, they restrict it severely. So it is true that commercial perfumes tend to have few of the common allergens. But they are not without them, so it is well possible that you are allergic to some materials. As usual, only a dermatologist can say.

Also remember that perfume is not just in perfume, but in many skincare or bath products, so one is often compounding.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Hi Kitty2Shoes-

I have many of the same allergies--tree pollen, molds, cat, dog--and several more, ever since I was a child. I've never noticed a connection between my perfumes and my allergy symptoms. I also have a cat, so you can see that I am quite the daredevil. Antihistamines, including antihistimine eye drops, along with Immunotherapy injections reduce my symptoms.

I don't think an allergy to tree pollen means that you will be allergic to wood notes in perfumes. These are usuallly synthetic.

Reading about perfume ingredients and all of their potential reactions might not be very helpful. Just about anything can cause a reaction in someone, somewhere, I think the best approach is to monitor your symptoms and form your own conclusions. When you say that you had a "bad puffing" reaction to a 4160 Tuesday's natural perfume, what do you mean? Skin reaction or asthma? Either way, it sounds like you had a significant reaction to something in that perfume and should avoid it in the future. If your other perfumes don't bother you, you should be good.
    Currently wearing: Bellodgia by Caron

There’s life-threatening allergies and there’s hypersensitivities which are more of a nuisance. How bad are yours? I once had a classmate with multiple allergies and thought it odd that someone born into this world could be allergic to so many natural things. Perhaps it’s the synthetic unnatural stuff that is causing the reactions?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I'm fortunate in that as far as I know throughout my life so far, have never been allergic to any substance. I imagine how awful that must be.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    Did you go for one of those allergy testing where they needle it into your skin?
    Because most things (natural and synthetics) aren't made to exist inside our flesh, so of course our bodies react to foreign matter.
    That's why I hold these tests at such low esteem.

Everyone comes out of the clinic "allergic" to 97% of the stuff they tested.

Just because one is allergic to oatmeal on a skin and flesh level, does not mean their digestive tract is sensitive or allergic to oatmeal when consumed the way they are meant to be consumed (not through your skin).
    I've had things spread on the skin, injected slightly, done through blood testing IgG testing, and elimination diet. I have an autoimmune disease (newly diagnosed) so food allergies go hand in hand with it. Consuming oatmeal causes internal bleeding (not fun). Oatmeal on the skin causes my eczema to become worse. Oatmeal in skincare causes my face to get red and puffy and burn. Same with birch - birch allergies have strong cross reactions, hence raw apples cause my mouth to go tingly and itchy, but cooking the apple breaks down the enzymes and I can consume cooked apples. Dates, bananas, pineapples, all have allergic reactions when eaten AND on the skin. Same with egg, I cannot get the flu shot because of egg allergies. It just sucks. I don't wish an autoimmune on anyone.

Basenotes Plus

I've only had one bad reaction to a perfume that contained mostly essential oils. I wrote about testing the Our Modern Lives from 4160 Tuesdays last December and had reactions to them due to them being 'all natural'. Other than that I've been fine with my collection. I just remember someone wrote an article a while back, I swear it was on base notes, explaining how today's perfumes don't cause allergic reaction and it explained the science behind it. It might have been on another blog, I cannot recall for the life of me.

As for my allergies - I've always had allergies to shellfish and crustaceans since I was little. The surgery I was out for this fall was to remove my thyroid which was triple it's size and cutting off my breathing and growing into my chest. During testing prior to surgery I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, which in as autoimmune. My doctors sent me for allergy testing because once you have one autoimmune, you can start to collect them all like Pokemon cards. I was quickly pulled off of gluten and most grains, especially oatmeal because it was causing bleeding internally, yuck, and I have to start the FODMAP diet in a bit because a lymph issue was also discovered. The best way to control it all is eliminating foods while everything sorta heals. The FODMAP news I was told about yesterday, so I'm still connecting the pieces together. I might be able to bring some back in after a time, I just have to rebuild up my immune system and it will take time.

Hope that explains it all a bit.

Basenotes Plus

Hi Kitty2Shoes-

I'm so sorry to hear that you are dealing with all of these health issues. I hope you are able to find some solutions. I did some digging to see if I could locate the essay you remembered, and I am wondering if this could be the one:

https://glasspetalsmoke.blogspot.com...scents-is.html

It was linked to a natural/synthetic topic here some time ago. I enjoy reading this blog in general.

Meanwhile, I found another article with some good suggestions for dealing with sensitivities, including trying perfumes marketed for babies, which seems clever:

https://www.getthegloss.com/article/...r-wear-perfume
    Currently wearing: Bellodgia by Caron

a quarter million, tops

I'm mildly allergic to cats, dogs, and mold. I'm moderately allergic to dust and many pollens. Seasonal allergys kick my behind some years. But, I am one of those people who are not allergic to poison ivy. I've never had a fragrance bother me besides smelling bad.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Bumping this thread because I have noticed I've been getting a stuffy nose on and off for almost a year now. Which is about when I started to wear fragrances very frequently. I am beginning to wonder if I may have mild allergies to certain fragrances. I think some do it more than others. Is my beloved Terre d'Hermes causing me difficulty in breathing through my nose? I certainly hope not. I have not had this problem with Tuscan Leather. What do you think? Could it be the Iso E Super, or something else?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Bumping this thread because I have noticed I've been getting a stuffy nose on and off for almost a year now. Which is about when I started to wear fragrances very frequently. I am beginning to wonder if I may have mild allergies to certain fragrances. I think some do it more than others. Is my beloved Terre d'Hermes causing me difficulty in breathing through my nose? I certainly hope not. I have not had this problem with Tuscan Leather. What do you think? Could it be the Iso E Super, or something else?
    Not sure, but I know Burberry's London will clear my husbands sinuses!

I've started test a number of fragrances on paper prior to a skin application for this reason.
    Something something....something....

Sorry that you are having to deal with all of this! Have you always had perfume sensitivity? And yes most wood notes are synthetic, so a pollen allergy probably wouldn't correlate with it I'm pretty sure.
    With the amount of stuff IFRA restricts every year and the complexities within naturals and synthetics, its going to be very difficult to pinpoint what exactly you are allergic to...