Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Basenotes Member

Default Re: Your Top 5 Tom Ford Fragrances ?

1. Oud Wood
    2. Tuscan Leather
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. Venetian Bergamot
    5. Noir de Noir

Although discontinued, I adore these 2 perfumes
    - Violet Blonde
    - Sahara Noir

Others I love are
    - Black Orchid
    - Orchid Soleil
    - Noir Extreme

1. Vert des Bois
    2. Noir de Noir
    3. Tuscan Leather
    4. Falcon Fabulous
    5. Tobacco Vanille

6. Fougere D’Argent

TF is an overrated house imo. Some fragrances are quite good, but overpriced compared to similar offerings, or slighlty less good than similarly priced fragrances from other houses. That said, if I have to do a top 5, here it is:

1. Noir Anthracite: unique dark masterpiece, the only one that really struck me from Tom Ford. Same vibes as Amouage Journey. AJ is more refined and more complex, but TFNA is bolder, darker and currently cheaper online: a win for TF!

Fragrance I also find great (that I would only get if price was divided by 3) :
    2. Vert d'Encens, but Lutens Fille en Aiguilles does it better
    3. Tobacco Oud, but Lutens Fumerie turque does it better
    4. Lavender Extreme, but Lutens Gris Clair does it better for a fraction of the price
    5. Noir EdP, but Guerlain Habit Rouge EdP does it better for half the price

Just a like (I would possibly get their alternatives) :
    - Oud Wood, but Versace Oud Noir does nearly the same job for a fraction of the price
    - Ombre Leather, but Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather does it better
    - Fucking Fabulous, but Guerlain L'Homme Ideal Intense costs a fraction of the price and has similar vibes to FF (even if not identical, I prefer Guerlain HII, as it's more rounded and less in-your-face thank to the use of rose instead of lavender in FF)
    - Tobacco Vanille, but Phaedon Tabac Rouge does it better for half the price
    - Black Orchid, but Tiziana Terenzi Maremma does it better

I wish I could try:
    - Sahara Noir
    - Amber Absolute
    - TF for men Extreme

Just a no-go for me:
    - TF for men: harsh, low quality
    - Noir Extreme: what's this sweet mess?
    - Lost Cherry: I hate the cherry note, and find this fragrance just badly blended, but that's just my personal opinion.
    Last edited by Andy the frenchy; 28th May 2019 at 08:01 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

Tuscan Leather
    Lost Cherry
    Tobacco Vanille
    Oud Wood
    Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post

1. Noir Anthracite: unique dark masterpiece, the only one that really struck me from Tom Ford. Same vibes as Amouage Journey. AJ is more refined and more complex, but TFNA is bolder, darker and currently cheaper online: a win for TF!

- Oud Wood, but Versace Oud Noir does nearly the same job for a fraction of the price
    Definitely agreed on these points. The Versace is a bit richer and sweeter, and doesn't have that kind of cold, damp bleach-y feeling I get from Oud Wood. But otherwise it is very similar. In addition to these two, I will add:

Tuscan Leather
    Vert d'Encens
    Italian Cypress

Que scay-je?

In general, I think of TF as a house as being defined by showmanship; these are largely exercises scent-as-spectacle, designed to be attention-grabbing rather than nuanced and sophisticated.

Following its hits of a decade ago or so, TF has seemed to me to be rushing out a lot of undeveloped releases in recent years, as though we're getting a series of rough drafts churned out to meet the market demand. Even taken on the line's own terms, a lot of stuff has missed the mark.

But I do think TF has had its successes in the past few years. Ombré Leather is a gem; linear but appealing, eschewing Tuscan Leather's bombast for an altogether more coherent experience.

I also agree that Noir Anthracite is a really clever bit of contemporary perfumery. Perhaps a bit too ambient to qualify as a masterpiece, but it's still a very clever reimagining of the Jacomo de Jacomo-style brash, spicy masculine that adds a defining dash of Asian cuisine into the mix with that emphasis on Sichuan pepper.

- Noir Extreme: what's this sweet mess?
    I had tired of it by the time I finished up my 1.7oz bottle--it's too linear for its own good, without a defining accord to give it some intrigue--but I do think it's very well blended and didn't find it particularly sweet once you got past the opening. A nice, smoky blend of florals that has more integrity than, say, Bvlgari Man in Black, a fragrance in a similar lane with a bunch of notes that ostensibly go together but never really feel like they're talking to one another.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    A nice, smoky blend of florals that has more integrity than, say, Bvlgari Man in Black, a fragrance in a similar lane with a bunch of notes that ostensibly go together but never really feel like they're talking to one another.
    Disclaimer: out of topic: I find the Bvlgari MIB line just unbalanced. The perfect example of a failure by Morillas. As for the house of Bvlgari, aside of Black (that I own and just like), I haven't found yet an interesting fragrance. I also own Blv Notte, which is another failure from that house imo.

Basenotes Junkie

it's too linear for its own good ... but I do think it's very well blended
    I find this to be the case with many Private Blends.

Disclaimer: out of topic: I find the Bvlgari MIB line just unbalanced. The perfect example of a failure by Morillas. As for the house of Bvlgari, aside of Black (that I own and just like), I haven't found yet an interesting fragrance. I also own Blv Notte, which is another failure from that house imo.
    I genuinely enjoy Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir.

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    I find this to be the case with many Private Blends.
    Yes, many of them become tiresome after an hour or two of wear.

They're designed to be layered, but they're so expensive it's not absurd to evaluate them as standalone scents.

Current Favorites

Basenotes Junkie

Yes, many of them become tiresome after an hour or two of wear.
    Find a scent that you love wearing, and linearity is not necessarily a bad thing.

Patchouli Absolu
    Vert des Bois
    Extreme

Those are the only three that do it for me, but they're all-time faves and enough to redeem the house. Had a brief honeymoon with Ombre Leather but started to sense a shrieking hairspray note hiding behind the photorealistic rawhide - perhaps the sort of compromise you have to make to get women to buy something with "leather" in the name.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

I genuinely enjoy Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir.
    Good to know, will try to investigate that one.

To other psoters: sorry for having trolled the TF thread with Bvlgari, it's over!

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Amber Absolute
    Noir de Noir
    Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais
    Italian Cypress

Honarable mention
    Grey Vetiver

Find a scent that you love wearing, and linearity is not necessarily a bad thing.
    Sure. Many of my favorite scents are linear.

I just think TF fragrances seem to invest so much in a single effect without framing them properly.

Oud Minerale is a borderline disaster, IMO.

Current Favorites

I've not tried everything, but here's my top 5 at the moment...

Tobacco Oud Intense
    Lost Cherry
    White Suede
    Venetian Bergamot
    Ombre Leather

Agree with Andy the Frenchy and Brooks Otterlake.

However, I also disagree slightly in that I really do like a lot of their perfumes. I like the 'heart' that a lot of the PB line has, I like the attempt to capture something retro in a not-always-clunky way. I think they do 'simple' yet good quality scents well - as in, they're never really guilty of churning out something that doesn't have at least some sort of saving grace or appeal, but maybe it's not the most amazing perfumery. Not in a traditional sense, anway - it's retro v vintage. I think they're an intermediate level of perfume - which is where I'd consider myself to be. Something to 'move up' to that still has mass appeal for the most part, unless you're going head first in to the weird niche territory, or trying to discover the whole history of fragrance that exists before the mid 90s, in which case they've probably become boring, simplistic, and obnoxious.

The prices are horrific but then if you can get the 250ml decanters for around £1/$1.5/ml, they're not toobad.

I do think that some of the more recent releases are a bit...odd. As in, some of them absolutely could/should have been made standalone scents in the signature line, as they don't seem well built for layering whatsoever. Something like Oud Minerale - if you're going to make Ombre Leather a signature line scent, why not this? It's mass appealing, fresh and versatile etc. The Private Blend probably doesn't feel unique and distinct enough due to the numbers being pumped out. Anyway...

I haven't tried every TF fragrance, however I'll give this a crack. These are what I consider the best for me personally:

1. Amber Absolute - it deserves the hype.
    2. Tobacco Oud Intense - love it, it just feels like a perfect, smart yet casual (not Smart Casual TM, with blazers and chinos on a nightout) scent. Powerful but in all the right ways.
    3. Oud Minerale - a great mix between conceptual artistry (trying to make an accurate marine air scent) and an aromachemical packed, mass appealing (women like it) and versatile fresh-without-citrus-or-mint scent.
    4. Sahara Noir - it's not perfect but it's a really nice burnt incense scent.
    5. Vanille Fatale - the last one is not one I wear, but what I love to smell on women.

- Italian Cypress: I'm too young for it to be a love but it's the best old school inspired green scent I've tried. Lucky to own it and over time this may move up the order.
    - TF For Men - decent, sometimes I really like it, sometimes I think it's a huge letdown. Good day to day scent but I think it's been reformulated/suffered from batch variation as it was better when I first tried it.
    - The whole Blue line (Sole di Positano, Neroli Portofino, Mandarino di Amalfi, Costa Azzurra) - none are amazing but they all do what they do well enough. Enjoying the Acqua and Forte flankers as well so far, but they're the epitome of 'money grab' (they're not selling well on the second hand market, so go there if you want your money's worth). I could easily include Mandarino or NP Acqua, or Costa Azzurra, in the love pile because they 'do' summer so well. Performance is disgraceful though.
    - London - really like this and it's a bit underrated, perhaps due to the name. A bit too floral but a nice execution of the notes. Considering buying a bottle as it's uncommon enough to be signature scent worthy, particularly as I get older (Tobacco Oud Intense is a young man's scent otherwise you'll smell like a dirty, sleazy boozer).
    - Grey Vetiver - prefer the EDT but also like the EDP. Solid, fresh, hard to love but they both do a nice, safe, workplace-friendly job.
    - Noir Extreme - both male and female. Think they're nice enough although the male version is too feminine for probably 70-80% of men. Classy, old school, sort of linked to the next one...
    - Noir de Noir: the female equivalent of Italian Cypress' greenery: an old-school floral for a 30+ woman, with enough modernity to smell really good.
    - Oud Wood Intense: Eau de Catpiss in a good way. Not versatile enough to be a love.
    - Tobacco Oud - this is close to a love to be honest. Like the whisky opening. It's right on the edge of being a bit too 'dirty' so I prefer the Intense version, which smells like nag champa and has a sweetness to it this one doesn't after the sweet, boozy opening fades.

Dislikes:
    - Oud Wood - so disappointing, the notes are everything I want in a fragrance yet it comes across as both boring and a bit...medicinal? Not sure that's the best description, but a bit oily, sharp, acrid etc. Tried so hard to love it but I don't.
    - Black Orchid - a weird, weird fragrance.
    - TF For Men Extreme - similar to above, no idea why it gets as much praise as it does. Distinctive, yes, but not appealing to my nose whatsoever, on paper or on skin. Boozy aniseed? Not for me.
    - Tobacco Vanille - not a nice balance of the two main notes. Tobacco Oud Intense got the right balance between sweetness and Tobacco. Vanille Fatale did vanilla and 'depth' better.
    - Tuscan/Ombre Leather - they're not bad scents, I just really dislike leather as a main note.
    - Noir - both EDT and EDP, just not my kind of scent, not a fan of the florals. Prefer the EDT of the two.
    - Santal Blush - I like sandalwood, but this is just a bit too mellow and boring, and undoubtedly feminine. After a while it started to really annoy me. Didn't wash it off, but came close.
    - F Fabulous - it's a big old NOOOOOOOO from me.

I've left off most of the specifically feminine fragrances as I don't really have an opinion on them. Velvet Orchid's not bad but I struggle to really 'rate' such scents. Vanille Fatale is easily the best fragrances TF makes for a woman, in my opinion. Others, like the Vert and Fougere line, I'm ambivalent about, and haven't tried them enough to say what I feel about them one way or the other yet. I think that's the main criticism of new releases: they're churning them out but nothing's really a 'love'. Or at least, the % of loves isn't high enough.

I'd love to sample: Bois Marocain, Moss Breches, Japon Noir, Bois Rouge
    I'd like to sample: Arabian Wood, Azure Lime, Rive d'Ambre, Purple Patchouli, Venetian Bergamot, Velvet Gardenia, Patchouli Absolu, Lavender Palm & Extreme,

Most of the criticism for the house seems to be based on the price and the style. Totally understandable. It's gaudy, sex-driven etc. and maybe the epitome of a nouveau-riche, clueless buyer in a department store wanting 'the best'. That seems to be the mass market wearer of Tobacco Vanille, Oud Wood, and Tuscan Leather. I think there are good, less common scents among the more recent, less known releases, but for various reasons - partly legit, partly snobbery - I think older/more respected posters in the community will pan them en masse. 2007 is very different to 2019 in terms of fragrances - the whole market has changed. It would be impossible for TF to 'disrupt' like he did with TL or TV. That doesn't mean something like Oud Minerale doesn't deserve praise, in my opinion, even if it's a bit rough in places.

EDIT: I sampled Bois Marocain and it would take a place in my top 5. Maybe bump Sahara Noir out, or maybe Vanille Fatale if I'm thinking strictly about what I'd wear.
    Last edited by slpfrsly; 24th May 2019 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I think they do 'simple' yet good quality scents well - as in, they're never really guilty of churning out something that doesn't have at least some sort of saving grace or appeal, but maybe it's not the most amazing perfumery.
    [...]

The prices are horrific but then if you can get the 250ml decanters for around £1/$1.5/ml, they're not too bad.
    [...]

Most of the criticism for the house seems to be based on the price and the style. Totally understandable. It's gaudy, sex-driven etc. and maybe the epitome of a nouveau-riche, clueless buyer in a department store wanting 'the best'.

That's the main issue I have with TF: their scents, despite their good quality (for the majority), are terribly overpriced. One can have much better for the price they ask. Like you said, one can buy a 250ml pop, but that's still $600/700, and collectors may not want to go for a 250ml for a frag they will wear 5 times/year. In the case of signature scent, it may be worth it, or for splits... but it requires organization.

I would not penalize a brand or some of their products because of the basic "bro-buyers". That said, having now smelt a decent amount of frags - and thus beginiing to have a difficult nose - , I can tell that I don't manage anymore to justify an expense for the only fragrances that the average joe finds great (Tobacco Vanille, Oud Wood, Grey Vetiver, Tuscan Leather...) and that myself found great when I put my nose on at the beginning of my frag journey. These didn't go from love to dislike, it's still a like for me, but just "boring" or non-unique compared to many other scents I tried, which often retail for cheaper (or similar prices, but a step higher in terms of creativity).

It's like for wine, and I can still remember the words of one of my sommellier course teachers during the first class: "This course has one disadvantage: after this course and the many tastings you will make, you will not be able anymore to drink the crap you liked until now". That revealed to be totally true (and very painful for the wallet). I think it's the same for fragrances: One starts at Sephora, then goes to Bloomingsdale and Nordstrom, walking further through Neiman Marcus and Saks, to finally end at Barneys. The next step? Buying directly online from real niche houses.

That said, one doesn't block the other... Dior Homme EdT and Gucci Guilty Absolute are both simple but great fragrances imo, great to begin with and still keepers for seasoned noses, and available at Sephora, so... Even TF Noir Anthracite was at some point, but no surprise it's not anymore, since it requires a trained nose to appreciate it (clearly not the average Sephora customer).
    Last edited by Andy the frenchy; 23rd May 2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typo

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

A bit hard for me, as most are agreeable but not much more. I'd probably pick these five -

Sahara Noir - a bit of an oddball, an excellent frankincense scent, and hasn't attraction hasn't diminished after wearing it several times unlike almost all other TF fragrances.
    Tuscan Leather - surely overpriced, but this is the best scent of its kind to me.
    Plum Japonais - this is basically a copy-paste of Feminite du Bois, but an excellent one at that.
    Noir de Noir - one of the best rose-patchoulis (at least used to be) in a crowded genre.
    Noir Anthracite - sharp peppery woods, a bit of hate it or love it. I think Amouage does this style better.

Grey Vetiver would have been en easy pick for me even two years back, but I've moved on.

I find the 'Signature' to have better and more finished compositions that the Private Blends line. Price is an issue, especially with the latter; at those prices, the compositions don't wow me as much as my favourites from Malle, Hermes, Dior or Lutens, to name a few.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Noir Anthracite - sharp peppery woods, a bit of hate it or love it. I think Amouage does this style better.
    I don't think Noir Anthracite is the most robust, dynamic scent of its type, but I do think it successfully carves out a niche for itself. What distinguishes Noir Anthracite from the other entries in this genre is its "Asian cuisine cooking on hot coals" vibe, which is a vibe I find kinda irresistible.

Current Favorites

I don't think Noir Anthracite is the most robust, dynamic scent of its type, but I do think it successfully carves out a niche for itself. What distinguishes Noir Anthracite from the other entries in this genre is its "Asian cuisine cooking on hot coals" vibe, which is a vibe I find kinda irresistible.
    Definitely. The ginger/Szechuan pepper/chili is a combination I know well from Chinese food, but have rarely seen in perfumery. It's like Eau de Coal-fired Hot Pot.

Que scay-je?

Dependent

1- Ombre Leather
    2- Noir Extreme
    3- Extreme
    4- Italian Cypress
    5- Tuscan Leather
    Currently wearing: Uomo Intense by Valentino

Basenotes Plus

Moss Breches

(That's all.)

1. Beau de Jour
    2. Our Wood
    3. Italian Cypress
    4. Mandarino di Amalfi
    5. Costa Azzura
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

The five that I gravitate towards most at the moment.

1. Tobacco Oud Intense
    2. Beau de Jour
    3. Ombré Leather
    4. Oud Wood
    5. Oud Minerale
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Basenotes Junkie

The more that I try Tom Ford's offerings, the more I am impressed with this house.

Basenotes Junkie

Top five from my favorite house are :

Black violet
    Black orchid
    Italian cypress
    Amber absolute
    Patchouli absolut

I mean i can go on and on as there are more that can be interchanged into the top 5 at any given moment.
    Creed Original Santal
    Currently wearing: Oajan by Parfums de Marly

The more that I try Tom Ford's offerings, the more I am impressed with this house.
    One thing they do well is first impressions. The more you wear them, though...and they definitely lose something, in my opinion. Which is the opposite of what perfumery should be about, in my opinion. Some don't, of course. Some are really great. But I've found myself getting almost upset at how disappointing some fragrances which started out as strong likes end up becoming. Not sure what it is, really - still really enjoy the approach TF takes, but they seem better suited to first impressions a lot of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    One thing they do well is first impressions. The more you wear them, though...and they definitely lose something, in my opinion. Which is the opposite of what perfumery should be about, in my opinion.
    I completely agree. I'm someone who likes to do a lot of sampling before buying. In my experience, they're great to sample at first, but I get really bored after repeated wears.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast