Code of Conduct
o

Default Beauty Encounter

I have ordered from Beauty Encounter twice, but I do not think I will order from them again in future, and this is why.

First order they sent me a re-celloed box. It was the manufacturer's white box, and beneath the cello were dark smudges from finger prints. They also shipped in an envelope. Other than the smudges, the box arrived undamaged. I had to send it back and wait for a replacement. I never ordered from them again for many months. I ordered from them again recently forgetting that they shipped in an envelope the first time.

The second order, an even higher end fragrance, arrived today (USPS is horribly behind in deliveries---this is the worst Christmas season I have witnessed with them) in an envelope. I was so chagrined that I set the package aside for hours before I finally worked up the courage to open it late tonight. Firstly, I had to use a scissors to cut it out of the tightly taped envelope. Then, once it was freed from the envelope, I had to cut it out of a layer of tightly taped bubble wrap. Once I finally extricated the perfume from the bubble wrap, my heart sank.

The perfume I had so anxiously awaited for almost a week obviously had not been well cared for before coming to me. Firstly, the cello, although it looked original, was loose and "aged" looking. I do not know where they store their stock, but judging by this box, I would not doubt that it was stored in a hot, humid warehouse. Heat and humidity do this kind of damage to cello. Also, along the edges of the box were signs of stress to the cardboard no doubt from the very tight wrapping of it first inside of bubble wrap and then inside of an envelope. I am sure its movement through the mail stream contributed to this as well. On top of all of this, there was a rather "oily" or "greasy" feeling to the cello as though whomever prepared this for shipping did not have clean hands. To say I am disappointed would be a grave understatement indeed.

I am pretty disgusted with Beauty Encounter. I would rather they said "if you want your perfume shipped in a box, please add an additional $1, $2, $3, or whatever amount to the shipping cost to cover it." I would rather pay a little more to have my perfume arrive in a box than to have it shipped to me like this. I would not be pleased to receive a very inexpensive perfume shipped in this manner much less a high end perfume. They are closed at the moment, but I left a very unfriendly message on their recorder a few moments ago.

I know Fragrancenet is not perfect, but they have never done this to me. Their shipping may be slow, but I have never received a bottle of perfume from them in an envelope. I lament this sort of thing with individual eBay sellers, but to have a big company do this is totally unacceptable. I ordered a few other fragrances from another discounter recently (not Fragrancenet) and they arrived in pristine condition in a shipping box. That is what I expect from a reputable seller.

Anyway, friends, if you order from Beauty Encounter, you may want to do it over the telephone and specify that you want your order shipped in a box and not in an envelope.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Memoir Woman by Amouage

Missing Oakmoss

Default Re: Beauty Encounter

Beauty Encounter is not my first choice. I only order from them when I can't find what I'm looking for anywhere else, after extensive searching. Like you, Oriane, I can't stand the way they ship in envelopes! I didn't even know it was possible to get them to use boxes instead. And yes, they do re-cello some items (to be fair, many stores do that with returned items that they sell as new). Their customer service is okay, but overall I much prefer FragranceX for discount purchases.

Bonnette, I am with you on this. They have lost me as a customer. I cannot wait to hear what their explanation/excuse will be tomorrow. No matter....it is water under the bridge now.

ETA: I do not mind a re-celloed box so much as I mind a dirty re-celloed box.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Oriane View Post
    ETA: I do not mind a re-celloed box so much as I mind a dirty re-celloed box.
    That's for sure! I've had that happen, too (from an eBay seller, not Beauty Encounter).

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I remember from years back reading that other Basenoters had the same complaint about this vendor's shipping method. I guess they still are shipping the same way. Sad.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I remember from years back reading that other Basenoters had the same complaint about this vendor's shipping method. I guess they still are shipping the same way. Sad.
    Yes, it is sad. One would think Beauty Encounter would get the message whence they fail to have repeat business from so many people. I somewhat understand this madness of shipping in an envelope whence it is done by the average eBay seller who sells a bottle of perfume along with many other items and does not think twice about what s/he is doing, but I am stunned that a company that sells mainly perfumes would do so as a standard practise.

Gregory David Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    That's for sure! I've had that happen, too (from an eBay seller, not Beauty Encounter).
    I just reordered the fragrance from Foreverlux. This is my first order with them that I can recall. I hope they ship it in a shipping box!

Gregory David Roberts

Missing Oakmoss

I just reordered the fragrance from Foreverlux. This is my first order with them that I can recall. I hope they ship it in a shipping box!
    I've never shopped with them...yes, let us hope they ship in boxes!

It's weird how Beauty Encounter packs bottles in so many tight layers of bubble wrap that it takes strong scissors to cut them apart, as if that makes up for flimsy shipping envelopes. And then there's the other extreme, where stores ship in boxes with almost no internal wrapping at all. I've received at least three Neiman Marcus purchases that were just rattling around loose in their boxes.

Good grief! I have never had that happen with Neiman Marcus, thank goodness. Everyone from whom I have ordered, save Beauty Encounter and a few eBay sellers, had the good sense to use shipping boxes. To my mind, it is so basic that I would not even have to think about it.

Gregory David Roberts

Missing Oakmoss

Good grief! I have never had that happen with Neiman Marcus, thank goodness. Everyone from whom I have ordered, save Beauty Encounter and a few eBay sellers, had the good sense to use shipping boxes. To my mind, it is so basic that I would not even have to think about it.
    I know, it's so counterintuitive - stores would save a lot of money in the long run by using shipping boxes.

In regards to USPS and their deliveries, it is not just them. It is also UPS and FedEx. They are under such pressure to make sure their Amazon and Walmart packages are delivered according to the shipping schedule listed on each online retailers website, or risk penalties for non compliance.

We actually had our UPS driver deliver packages at 2PM the other day at my business, when we are normally scheduled between 10:30 and 11 AM. Why? The drivers had to wait at the service center for a late plane arrival with hundreds of Amazon packages that had to be delivered that day.

All shipping services are beholden to the big online retailers, especially Amazon, and the heck with all the other packages in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    In regards to USPS and their deliveries, it is not just them. It is also UPS and FedEx. They are under such pressure to make sure their Amazon and Walmart packages are delivered according to the shipping schedule listed on each online retailers website, or risk penalties for non compliance.

We actually had our UPS driver deliver packages at 2PM the other day at my business, when we are normally scheduled between 10:30 and 11 AM. Why? The drivers had to wait at the service center for a late plane arrival with hundreds of Amazon packages that had to be delivered that day.

All shipping services are beholden to the big online retailers, especially Amazon, and the heck with all the other packages in the system.
    Oh, is that it? Well, I had several orders from Amazon over the last two weeks. All of them were delivered by some small shipping agency--no UPS, USPS, or FedEx. I am still awaiting a package from a friend shipped priority on the 19th from only four hours away from here! USPS has told me that priority mail "is not guaranteed." In that case, if they do not deliver on time, I think they should be held to some penalty on behalf of ordinary people who ship through them.

Recently, it took USPS eight business days to deliver a quite small first class package that travelled less than half way across the country. I have had similar wait times on other packages, too. One package was held up at the local USPS sorting facility for four days. It just sat there. I could not believe my eyes. I would feel much more forgiving of USPS at this time of the year if they did a superb job the rest of the year, but they do not. I have trouble with them all year long, and there is very little one can do about it.

Gregory David Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post

I thought I might as well post about this here since we were already discussing USPS. I have trouble with USPS all year long, but this was the worst holiday season for them ever regardless the reasons. Yesterday's experience with them confirmed my opinion of them yet again.

I purchased a sealed vintage extrait from someone before Christmas. The seller shipped it priority mail the day after Christmas. It was scheduled to arrive today. Instead, I received a text yesterday that it had just been delivered (they are apparently still far behind even though Christmas is over). I was sitting at my desk whence the text came in, so I immediately stood up and headed for the door. As I opened my door, I saw the USPS truck starting to pull away from the curb. I walked down to the post box, but there was no package to be found. The carrier left some letter mail only.

I immediately went back indoors and belled my post office. I have 3-4 numbers for them including the back room number. No one picked up, but this is not new. They stopped picking up their phones months and months ago. I also emailed the station manager and the seller to let them know. So far, no one other than the seller, has contacted me back. I finally was able to speak to their local consumer affairs office today. All they would do is take the information. I was told an investigator would get back to me. I do not belive that for a minute. They have never contacted me back whence I have had to file a complaint before. Several friends have speculated that the carrier was probably a part timer hired for Christmas, and s/he probably negligently delivered my package to another house in my neighbourhood.

I reported it to eBay, and the woman opened a case, but I really do not see how that will help. The seller did ship the perfume. I also belled PayPal for advice as to what I should do next. PayPal said since the tracking says "delivered," there is nothing they could do, and they said there was nothing eBay could do, which makes me wonder why the customer service agent opened a case.

I have no information to file an insurance claim, but even if I had the information to file, what would USPS do? Does anyone know if they will uphold a claim under these circumstance? After all, I was home whence it was allegedly "delivered," and I went outside immediately to collect the package, so no one had a chance to swipe it. The carrier was just pulling away from the curb. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do you know if I will be indemnified? My property is fenced, gated, and padlocked, so the carrier was unable to reach my door. He would either have had to drop the package over the fence or leave it outside the gate. Tracking shows, however, that it was left at my door/porch. Unbelievable, no? If the package was left at someone else's house, I fear it will not be returned. I want the package, but if it is lost, I would at least like to get my money back.

ETA: Good news! I just checked today's delivery, and what do you think I found dropped over the fence but my perfume! I am so happy it was not mis-delivered, but this incident just goes to prove that USPS's tracking is not completely trustworthy! I wasted so much time yesterday and this morning trying to get this sorted out. I really deeply dislike USPS anymore.

As a youngster growing up, and throughout my early adulthood and middle age, I never experienced any problems with USPS. Their service has seriously declined over the last 20 or so years. I think a huge part of the problem is that incompetent people cannot be fired, or at least it takes an act of congress to fire them. This would not happen in the private sector.

ETA: Well, my happiness over receiving my package did not last long. I patiently, carefully opened the perfume and was shocked to find there was nothing in the box! I have never had this happen before!! The box was sealed. How could there not be a perfume inside?? Is it possible this box was just a display item that never had a bottle from the start?

I was just looking over the presentation box. On the bottom marked in pencil are what appears to be three letters, but I cannot tell what they are. They look a little like A I U. Does anyone have any idea what that means?
    Last edited by Oriane; 31st December 2018 at 11:55 PM.

Gregory David Roberts

Missing Oakmoss

Oh, Oriane, what a disappointment! I have never seen those letters on the bottom of a perfume box, and the fact they were in pencil makes me think that someone might have jotted them there to indicate something along the lines of "for display only." It's surprising that the seller didn't twig to the fact that the box was empty, even though it was sealed - it must have been light as air.

As for the post office, I completely agree that the service has gone downhill. Budget cuts have played a large part in that, as local branches are understaffed and workers are shuffled from department to department with precious little training. "Out for Delivery" days make me very nervous.

Oh, Oriane, what a disappointment! I have never seen those letters on the bottom of a perfume box, and the fact they were in pencil makes me think that someone might have jotted them there to indicate something along the lines of "for display only." It's surprising that the seller didn't twig to the fact that the box was empty, even though it was sealed - it must have been light as air.

As for the post office, I completely agree that the service has gone downhill. Budget cuts have played a large part in that, as local branches are understaffed and workers are shuffled from department to department with precious little training. "Out for Delivery" days make me very nervous.
    Thank you for the kind words, Bonnette. It has been something of a rollercoaster ride with this purchase! I was so upset all day yesterday whence I thought the package was left at a wrong address, and then today I was so excited and happy whence it was delivered, and now I am deflated. I have gone from anger to relief and happiness to total disappointment in less than 48 hours! (LOL) At least I still have my sense of humour because I am laughing as I type this!

I have notified the seller and sent snaps of everything. It was only supposed to be a one oz bottle inside, so the seller probably never expected it to feel heavy. Even I did not notice the weight as I began to open it. I thought it felt light but not so light as to be empty! What a surprise! I wish I knew what the letters mean. I have never seen handwriting on the bottom of a sealed box before!

Another thing I just realised is that the box had no instructions included. I have seen these bottles before, and brand new they come with instructions regarding opening the bottle. This must have been a factice. How else can one explain this???

Gregory David Roberts

Missing Oakmoss

...Another thing I just realised is that the box had no instructions included. I have seen these bottles before, and brand new they come with instructions regarding opening the bottle. This must have been a factice. How else can one explain this???
    That would be the only thing I could come up with, too. It's very weird, any way you look at it.

I know, it's so counterintuitive - stores would save a lot of money in the long run by using shipping boxes.
    Foreverlux told me they shipped my perfume in a box. (They insist on shipping ground, too.) I would not be able to confirm that fact, though. After more than ten days, the package did not arrive. They were supposed to ship out a replacement, but today, they confirmed they are sold out of the fragrance---this after they told me they would ship a replacement right away. I have no idea what could have happened to my package from Foreverlux. USPS never showed it received. I concluded something was wrong after three days with no tracking updates, but Foreverlux wanted me to wait and wait. They supposedly issued a credit to me today, but I do not expect to see it on my card before the end of the week. Meanwhilst, I still await my refund from Beauty Encounter.

Gregory David Roberts

Missing Oakmoss

Unbelievable, Oriane. We are really having to ratchet our expectations downward, even in the most basic matters.

Sadly, Bonnette, 'tis true.

Gregory David Roberts

Basenotes Plus

Just got my package from Beauty Encounter. Yup, their still shipping in mailers.
    The top of the box was dented, but the bottle was fine.
    All real, but envelopes ?