Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default How many lipsticks?

New year's resolutions include organizing, and since I'm hypercompetitive I thought I'd just start now and beat myself to the punch. I got a little cosmetic organizer with a lipstick section holding 12 tubes even though I don't have nearly that many lipsticks. I figured the extra slots could hold a favorite decant or three. The punch line you all saw coming but I didn't: I have 17 lipsticks. Eh. 18 lipsticks.

That's seems like an awful lot, even considering I knew I bought a few lipsticks recently and hold onto old lipsticks I like for too long. My internal script flipped and I thought who on earth would only have 12 lipsticks? Especially in these times of matte, semi-matte, satin, and glossy. Pink, berry, red, coral. Brownish pink, sheer, highly pigmented. Nude.

I'm asking how many lipsticks you have, and if you have so many that you have no earthly idea that counts as 100.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

Default Re: How many lipsticks?

I shall have to go count them but I have a feeling it's more than 18. Is it just lipsticks or do coloured lip glosses & balms count, too! Oh, what about lip tars (they come in squishy tubes) but I'm not sure that I still own any of those, think I got rid of them! Oh boy, I think I may join you Shycat in the lipstick/cosmetics organizing resolution......it's been awhile since the last sort through!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm back to make Shycat feel better because I have 52! That includes a couple of lip glosses & balms plus backups of my favourite lippies. That's the number before I start culling, there are several freebies that I'm never going to use that will go straight away.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleCat View Post
    I shall have to go count them but I have a feeling it's more than 18. Is it just lipsticks or do coloured lip glosses & balms count, too! Oh, what about lip tars (they come in squishy tubes) but I'm not sure that I still own any of those, think I got rid of them! Oh boy, I think I may join you Shycat in the lipstick/cosmetics organizing resolution......it's been awhile since the last sort through!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm back to make Shycat feel better because I have 52! That includes a couple of lip glosses & balms plus backups of my favourite lippies. That's the number before I start culling, there are several freebies that I'm never going to use that will go straight away.
    I wasn't counting lip balms since they are usually pretty inexpensive and interchangeable necessities. Also, because I have too many Prada Shielding Balm Teint 4's sitting in my closet. Those things are fabulous and they can go through the washer and dryer in your jeans pocket with no problem. Teint 4 is what put me on to liking a good star anise/licorice note in fragrance. All those many years ago and I still bought CC X Twist Licorice this year...long standing obsession and it started with a lip balm.

52 is one for every week of the year! A worthy goal or a cautionary tale....so hard to decide. I'm giving it some thought.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

I am frightened to even go count mine but I have 4 cosmetic bags of them!

Now, Burberry has its own smaller cosmetic bag for at least 10 of them.

I am now in a state of shock! I hope you are sitting down?

109, yes that is 109. No lipglosses as I don't do them they just look like clear gloss on me no matter what colour they are supposed to be.

Now, I do have some I have had for many years and no they have not gone off, I do check for the crayon smell and then threw them out.

And when I joked I have enough to keep a small South American country going I was not joking. I do sometimes give to a friend ones I am not using, but other friends don't wear lipstick.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Wow, 109!!

Lipstick is not a big thing for me, as l tend to emphasise eyes over lips (just don't ask me about eyeshadow palettes), & favour brownish nudes or sometimes berry colours.

l have five lipsticks, & six coloured glosses. Three of the glosses are a set l got for Christmas by British brand Soap & Glory, called "matte-allics", one is rose gold, one gold & one bronze. These have outstanding staying power & no greasiness at all.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds
    Blog Entries

I have exactly 2 lipsticks. They are the same shades I have worn since 1986: Sandstone and Mica both by L'Oreal. I believe they have been discontinued because the last time I bought these tubes, I had to get them from Amazon. Pathetic, huh?
    Sono strano e sono orgoglioso di essorlo...

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

I'm right there with HoP. Two with color and one whose pigment has proven pointless. Can I count what I've added to my Pinterest lipstick folder? Cuz then I'm nearer to 10.

I can kind of compete with purses. I own about a dozen if you add in a few clutches. However, my Pinterest handbag folder contains 205 images.

What's your handbag count, girls? (Oh, and shoes? Don't bother. I just wear Birkenstocks: regular version for everyday, sandals for summer, and rubber for gardening. I tie on athletic shoes for the treadmill or when riding roller coastes so my shoes don't fly off.)
    ...Do Less. ... Own Less..... Say "no" More Often.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I'm right there with HoP. Two with color and one whose pigment has proven pointless. Can I count what I've added to my Pinterest lipstick folder? Cuz then I'm nearer to 10.

I can kind of compete with purses. I own about a dozen if you add in a few clutches. However, my Pinterest handbag folder contains 205 images.

What's your handbag count, girls? (Oh, and shoes? Don't bother. I just wear Birkenstocks: regular version for everyday, sandals for summer, and rubber for gardening. I tie on athletic shoes for the treadmill or when riding roller coastes so my shoes don't fly off.)

I have a few dozen evening bags. Most are vintage. I don't use them. Heck, I barely use a regular bag anymore. I've been selling off the evening bags here and there. Shoes? I have sneakers, a couple pairs of skechers, 3 pairs of winter boots (I do adore my second-hand Uggs), worn-out flip-flips, lots of slippers, and that is about it. One pair of "good" shoes I have yet to wear. I can't wear heels anymore - bunions!

Basenotes Plus

What's your handbag count, girls?
    Embarassing.

When the Cahns sold Coach Leatherware in the late '80s and it became clear the new owners were going to move manufacturing to China, I started buying up all the second-hand "Made in New York City" bags in their old thick, baseballl-glove leather that I could lay hands on.

When I was unemployed for 3 years at the start of The Great Recession, I supported myself for an entire year just selling off vintage Coach bags. Now I'm down to a mere dozen or so rare and treasured ones.

It saddens me to see what a debased brand Coach has become, but I console myself with the thought that for once, one of my collecting manias actually paid off.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Embarassing.

When the Cahns sold Coach Leatherware in the late '80s and it became clear the new owners were going to move manufacturing to China, I started buying up all the second-hand "Made in New York City" bags in their old thick, baseballl-glove leather that I could lay hands on.

When I was unemployed for 3 years at the start of The Great Recession, I supported myself for an entire year just selling off vintage Coach bags. Now I'm down to a mere dozen or so rare and treasured ones.

It saddens me to see what a debased brand Coach has become, but I console myself with the thought that for once, one of my collecting manias actually paid off.
    Good for you, for thinking ahead, back in the day. And good for you, for still having a coupla Coach bags, the good ones, still.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Hmmm. Somewhere between 2 and 109 lipsticks. I'm in that bell curve.

I have 13 purses--only one evening bag. I tend to get an inexpensive summer bag and just never throw it away. As for shoes...there's no way I could count them at the moment. I'm not at the shoe organization phase.

I have 8 handbags & two evening bags. Shoes, not sure how many but I know they don't take up that much space.

Blog Entries

Many, and I mean MANY. Haven't counted them, I hope I have less than 100.
    There are several Shiseido Rouge Rouge (my favourites!), Nars Audacious (current fave), Illamasqua, MAC Retro Matte, Matte, and Satin lipsticks, plus some older ones from Chanel and Dior. When a lippie starts to smell or look suspicious, I throw it away.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."
    Currently wearing: Dianthus by Etro

Mine are all Mac, Nars Audacious(I LOVE THESE), Dior Diorific especially, Chanel, YSL rouge etc.

I am ashamed to say I was actually looking at some lipsticks today which were on sale! I did walk away.
    DONNA

I’ll have to give everything an official count when I’m back in town. I am curious!
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Eau Belle by Azzaro

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Due to your unintended encouragement/enablement, I just ordered Nars Morocco and Vivien. I really have been meaning to restore some semblance of a lipstick wardrobe, honest.

Sillage Monster

I have 10 lipsticks. My current rotation consists of Lancome Sugared Maple (brownish orange) and Jezebel (brownish plum). I don’t wear any colors that are too dark, bright, or pastel.

I have a substantial nail color collection (around 25) but I don’t wear it anymore. I’ve reduced makeup in general and my nails are natural now.

- - - Updated - - -

Due to your unintended encouragement/enablement, I just ordered Nars Morocco and Vivien. I really have been meaning to restore some semblance of a lipstick wardrobe, honest.
    I looked up those colors, Quarry. Beautiful choices!
    July Picks

Russian Tea, Salome, Satori, Cryptic, Vermilion Promise, Leather Up, The Calling, Obscure Oud
    Currently wearing: Copper Skies by Kerosene

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I took careful stock and threw away an extremely strange bare minerals freebie. Back to 17! I also looked up your colors, Quarry. Lovely!

Nars Audacious Kelly

audacious kelly.jpg

Nars Semi Matte Transeurope Express

transeurope express.jpg

Shiseido Rouge Rouge Red Queen/RD716

rouge rouge red queen.jpg

.................................................. ..............................................

Up to 20.
    cat under covers.jpg
    Last edited by Shycat; 30th December 2018 at 05:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Mine are all Mac, Nars Audacious(I LOVE THESE), Dior Diorific especially, Chanel, YSL rouge etc.

I am ashamed to say I was actually looking at some lipsticks today which were on sale! I did walk away.
    Oh yes <3 Nars Audacious <3 and I forgot I have some YSL lippies, too!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."
    Currently wearing: Dianthus by Etro

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    I have exactly 2 lipsticks. They are the same shades I have worn since 1986: Sandstone and Mica both by L'Oreal. I believe they have been discontinued because the last time I bought these tubes, I had to get them from Amazon. Pathetic, huh?
    I still find them for sale--

Mica
    Attachment 94175

Sandstone
    Attachment 94176

And yet,

Nars Audacious Raquel--a pink beige.
    Attachment 94174

Or,

Nars Audacious Brigette--a nude rose
    Brigette Nude Rose.jpg

Nars Audacious Anita--rose
    Anita rose.jpg

Not that this thread could ever make anyone a lemming.

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Shycat, what's with the frowny faces? Did these colors not work for you? I thought Transeurope looked like a good, middle-of-the-road red for most complexions.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    I have 10 lipsticks. My current rotation consists of Lancome Sugared Maple (brownish orange) and Jezebel (brownish plum). I don’t wear any colors that are too dark, bright, or pastel.

I have a substantial nail color collection (around 25) but I don’t wear it anymore. I’ve reduced makeup in general and my nails are natural now.
    I agree with the reliability of a brownish tint. I think Morocco will be safe, but I'm concerned Vivien (below) will be too bright for this 63yo's face. May have to apply lightly and then top it with a sheer lipstick, but I really wanted a blue-toned lipstick to bring out my squinty blue eyes. I used to wear eye makeup but gave it up cuz no matter what I use, it tends to irritate.

20181230_075151.jpg

I've got a nice dozen nail polishes -- dozens more again in Pinterest pix. I usually feel like wearing polish only during warm months, but I'll paint my nails today to medicate some rising cabin fever.

Has anyone found a balanced blurple polish? I'd like to find one that is truly neither blue nor purple, right on the cusp of each. Same for orange-red. I find the tension of neither/nor compelling. I can find images of the perfect colors, but taking my tablet to the store and matching the shade to reality has proven illusive.
    20181230_075943.jpg

I don’t know how many lipsticks I own, because I have two homes and can’t count the ones in the other location, but let’s just double the number I have here, which is 50. Purses, I’ve been seriously culling, I think I am down to about 25. Shoes were my biggest downfall, I used to have 250+ pairs, but I think it’s down to about 100 now. We won’t discuss perfume or jewelry.

Shycat, what's with the frowny faces? Did these colors not work for you? I thought Transeurope looked like a good, middle-of-the-road red for most complexions.

I agree with the reliability of a brownish tint. I think Morocco will be safe, but I'm concerned Vivien (below) will be too bright for this 63yo's face. May have to apply lightly and then top it with a sheer lipstick, but I really wanted a blue-toned lipstick to bring out my squinty blue eyes. I used to wear eye makeup but gave it up cuz no matter what I use, it tends to irritate.

20181230_075151.jpg

I've got a nice dozen nail polishes -- dozens more again in Pinterest pix. I usually feel like wearing polish only during warm months, but I'll paint my nails today to medicate some rising cabin fever.

Has anyone found a balanced blurple polish? I'd like to find one that is truly neither blue nor purple, right on the cusp of each. Same for orange-red. I find the tension of neither/nor compelling. I can find images of the perfect colors, but taking my tablet to the store and matching the shade to reality has proven illusive.
    20181230_075943.jpg
    I was going to say Essie Dressed to the Nineties, but that's too dark I think. OPI's Do You Have this Color in Stock-holm looks close but it is a creme. OPI's Turn On The Northern Lights might be too shifty. Almost all the colors I've seen like that are glittered, which is a shame because that color is beautiful. It might be too sophisticated to be in a store's range. You'll probably have to go really upscale to find that, and I can't help you there.

The red-orange should be easier. Do you want it in a creme or shimmer, or what?
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

shycat... That's good to know, that those L'Oreal colors are still available. I confess, I haven't searched for them lately, anywhere. They must still be popular after all these years. Cool.

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    I was going to say Essie Dressed to the Nineties, but that's too dark I think. OPI's Do You Have this Color in Stock-holm looks close but it is a creme. OPI's Turn On The Northern Lights might be too shifty. Almost all the colors I've seen like that are glittered, which is a shame because that color is beautiful. It might be too sophisticated to be in a store's range. You'll probably have to go really upscale to find that, and I can't help you there.

The red-orange should be easier. Do you want it in a creme or shimmer, or what?
    Thanks for your cogitating, Z.
    I like cremes. I have Flicker, but it's a shimmer. I grew up in the '60s when metalflake finishes (like my motorcycle helmet) were in, so glittery things have an old, cheap association for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have Flicker, too!

OPI I Love You Just Be-Cusco
    OPI Como Se Llama
    Zoya Marigold
    Sinful Colors Rorange (I have this too, it's tomato colored)
    OPI I Absolutely Amador-ya
    Essie Geranium
    Essie Hip-Anema
    OPI First Date at the Golden Gate
    Color Club Sweet as Sugar Cane
    Sally Hansen Insta-Dry Quick Fire
    Essie Color Binge
    Essie Hiking Heels
    Essie Fifth Avenue
    L'Oreal Fiery Sunset
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Thanks for your cogitating, Z.
    I like cremes. I have Flicker, but it's a shimmer. I grew up in the '60s when metalflake finishes (like my motorcycle helmet) were in, so glittery things have an old, cheap association for me.
    Those frowny faces reflected my inner emotional state as I simultaneously bought lipsticks online and thought "You don't need more lipsticks!" It's funny. I don't hear that voice for perfumes or CND nail polishes. Even my inner voice says, Yeah, yeah, yeah, bring it on. Never too much. Same with yarn. I have a God awful amount of sock yarn, well over a lifetime supply. When I go to choose the next project, I only think "Man! I should a bought two of those!"

Because, and there is always a because or two in all my rationalizations, my perfumes and yarn can pass to my nieces. Nobody should really use my old lipsticks. I know one can wipe them with an alcohol pad to sterilize, but it still seems unsanitary.

GLITTER RULES MY WORLD.

I've told Sam that my glitter nails get a compliment every time I'm in public. We were out, and sure enough out waitress complimented my nails. There's no disguising the genuine admiration in people's voices. It's fun. He said "Yeah, but a man never compliments them." Hello. Lecture time. Rein in the ego, son. Women do not do everything they do for a man. Men are NOT THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE.

He cleaned up the kitchen this morning before I woke up. Good husband in the making.

- - - Updated - - -

20181230_075151.jpg

20181230_075943.jpg
    I can't think Vivien would be too bright. The berry/mauve tones look flattering on just about everybody, to my mind, and it tends to be my color of choice. In the ones I ordered, I tried to go just a little different. But then, I also like glitter and fresh florals so consider the source.

Speaking of sources, I can recommend the Beyond Polish website. It's very easy to shop by shade and they'll give you all the "blues" of the brands they carry. I saw several that might fit the bill of balanced blurple for you.

I don't have the patience for regular polish. I need the CND one minute LED light cured and done kind.

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Thanks so much, Zilpha and Shycat. It will be scads of fun playing the shopping game from your leads.

I suppose you may tire of playing rationalization ping-pong with yourself sometimes, Shy, but, selfishly, I do find your thought processes entertaining. From a media junky who's easily bored, that may be my highest form of compliment.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Thanks, Q. Happy to share my neurosis with anybody who will listen! I will share with you (all) what started me on the nail polish adventure. It was this video, at the 2:05 to 2:06 mark. A one second flash of sky blue pearl polish. I like her black translucent rose pants, too, but I'm sticking with nail polish.

So how are we defining ‘lipstick’? I mean, are chubby pencils, liquid lipsticks, stain pens and glosses all fair game?

- - - Updated - - -

Counting my 6 liquid lipsticks and 2 chubby pencils, but not counting glosses or stain pens, I have 34 lipsticks, give or take.

Most commonly worn favorites include:

Lipstick Queen Medieval
    Lipstick Queen Jean Queen
    Lipstick Queen Eden
    Lipstick Queen Rook
    It Cosmetics Je Ne Se Quoi
    It Cosmetics Pretty Woman
    Lancome Coquette
    Lancome Miss Coquelicot
    Lancome Coral
    Estée Lauder Tumultuous Pink
    NARS Cruella