Code of Conduct

Default Salvador Dali PH

I have the current (say 2015) SDPH version and love it. Am I missing something by not digging around for a vintage bottle?
    Smokin Dave is in the house

Default Re: Salvador Dali PH

From a personal viewpoint, although having only owned and/or used a 1997 or even earlier (by now vintage) bottle, therefore lacking experience with current/recent versions, still happening to consider this one among the undeniably better powerhouse masculines.
    While the mileage (and standards, quality, performance etc.) of the recent version may still vary, not considering this one even blind, without prior testing, as a risky purchase, given its quite good or at the very least decent price-quality/value for money ratio.

Basenotes Plus

Not sure, but the vintage is a really good dark fragrance.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Not sure, but the vintage is a really good dark fragrance.
    Agree. Wonderful scent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I own vintage and fairly recent juice. They are just a slight bit different, with older version being a tad bit more "fatty", "oily" ... . Both are nice IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Roky View Post
    I own vintage and fairly recent juice. They are just a slight bit different, with older version being a tad bit more "fatty", "oily" ... . Both are nice IMHO.
    Ok cool. Thanks for letting me know that.

Can you compare this to VC&A Pour Homme at all, or are they just completely different dark scents?

I stumbled across the review of this earlier this year and thought it sounded incredibly intriguing, plus that bottle design is so unique and artsy.
    It's actually one of only a couple of frags I thought about buying it just to smell it -- even though I felt almost certain I could never wear it.
    Maybe I should order a sample....
    Currently wearing: British Sterling by Dana

I can't, having never never sampled VC&A PH, though it's on my "to do" list... perhaps some else will chime in who has both.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calitrav View Post
    Can you compare this to VC&A Pour Homme at all, or are they just completely different dark scents?

I stumbled across the review of this earlier this year and thought it sounded incredibly intriguing, plus that bottle design is so unique and artsy.
    It's actually one of only a couple of frags I thought about buying it just to smell it -- even though I felt almost certain I could never wear it.
    Maybe I should order a sample....
    I can. I own both.

Salvador Dali Pour Homme is less soapy and more rosy than VC&A, and much darker. Vintage Salvador Dali Pour Homme has a tiny bit mlre oakmoss bite than current, but it's not essential to track it down for much more than the newest release unless you're a purist that measures a scent's worth purely on how much of one ingredient it has, because the difference to me is negligible.

Between Salvador Dali and the VC&A, the Dali is more unique, since Bogart Signature and older batches of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme can scratch the same itch as the VC&A. Plus.. have you seen that bizarre Salvador Dali bottle?? Who doesn't think that's cool?
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Azzaro

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I can. I own both.

Salvador Dali Pour Homme is less soapy and more rosy than VC&A, and much darker. Vintage Salvador Dali Pour Homme has a tiny bit mlre oakmoss bite than current, but it's not essential to track it down for much more than the newest release unless you're a purist that measures a scent's worth purely on how much of one ingredient it has, because the difference to me is negligible.

Between Salvador Dali and the VC&A, the Dali is more unique, since Bogart Signature and older batches of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme can scratch the same itch as the VC&A. Plus.. have you seen that bizarre Salvador Dali bottle?? Who doesn't think that's cool?
    Thanks!

Between its reviews and the cinematic bottle, it looks and sounds like one of the most interesting fragrances out there --
    I feel like I have to smell it at least once, even if it turns out to be unwearable.

I like Bogart Signature fwiw, the lemon in its opening took some getting used to, but the drydown is great.
    I wore it today as a matter of fact, so who knows, maybe that bodes well....
    Currently wearing: British Sterling by Dana

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I can. I own both.

I have a different experience. Dali pour Homme is darker, yes. More starkly green, more galbanum, floral...but not rosy. Less soapy of course. But I get no rose. Just some other florals. I've sampled from both a vtg mini and sorta recent sample. I'll have to sample it again to make sure however.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I have a different experience. Dali pour Homme is darker, yes. More starkly green, more galbanum, floral...but not rosy. Less soapy of course. But I get no rose. Just some other florals. I've sampled from both a vtg mini and sorta recent sample. I'll have to sample it again to make sure however.
    The rose I get is the dry earthy Turkish variety, the "Goth Kid" of roses.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Azzaro