Code of Conduct
    Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

Default Does Basenote have more male members than female members?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that, there are a lot more posts in the male perfume forum than female.

Are the majority of BN members male? Where do the ladies go?
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.

Default Re: Does Basenote have more male members than female members?

Basenotes began in 2000 as a men's grooming site. Women came in later and have always been in the minority.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    Basenotes began in 2000 as a men's grooming site. Women came in later and have always been in the minority.
    Ah thanks for the explanation.
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.

Basenotes Institution
    Blog Entries

Nowadays, female online searchers will be directed most often to Fragrantica, which developed after BN. My entree to online frags was via MakeUpAlley, which used to be enticing for the ease of swapping it offered, but they dropped that feature. Once I got dug in here at BN, I found the atmosphere and the physical format became my favorite. If you think about it, it's pretty odd for M & F not to co-habitate, except I assume fewer men seek out fragrance than do women, so sites like Fragrantica could look off-putting to some men. I feel richer for being here, in the company of scent-sensitive men who expand my enjoyment of this wide-ranging art. I hope the men here feel the same way about BN's women contingent.
    ...Do Less. ... Own Less..... Say "no" More Often.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I feel richer for being here, in the company of scent-sensitive men who expand my enjoyment of this wide-ranging art. I hope the men here feel the same way about BN's women contingent.
    Without a doubt

Always be smelling

... I feel richer for being here, in the company of scent-sensitive men who expand my enjoyment of this wide-ranging art. I hope the men here feel the same way about BN's women contingent.
    I find women BN members to be a lot more knowledgeable and approachable. Maybe because MFD attracts lots of young(juvenile) folks seeking PD/club type fragrances and that sets the tone of the boards. I am thankful that you all stick around here despite that.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Plenty of both here. There might be more of one than the other but it’s never felt single-sided. Keep them all coming I say
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

stinkin' to high heaven

............................. ◘ surrounded by squares ◘
    Blog Entries

I've always gotten along better with men than women IRL. I get a kick out of the testosterone-laden, nit-picking I see here, on occasion. I just shake my head. Anyway, I'm also a member of fragrantica but, I don't join in on posting in the forums. In fact, I barely search the forums. I get WAY more good, sound info about fragrance here, no matter what the sex the majority of members here may be.
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Basenotes Plus

I think the Gents have tremendous insight and good taste here, so I appreciate what they have to say, regardless of whether they are in the majority. Besides, I really dig a lot of "male" frags. I'm hoping more women will catch onto this place and maybe we'll get to the point where I can rock a fougere at the office without judgement.

Basenotes Plus

I believe so, but I have felt very welcome here since I began to participate more actively. I began to post on Fragrantica a few years ago, when we had a very lively group (mostly women) contributing to the Vintage Forum. Unfortunately, some of those folks have since moved on.

I am completely ecumenical now: I read and comment on both forums. I find good discussions and topics (along with the occasional silly ones) on both. I think there is less of a divide between Basenotes and Fragrantica than might first appear: I've met a number of people who participate in both forums, sometimes with different usernames.
    Currently wearing: Bandit by Robert Piguet

Missing Oakmoss

I've noticed that many of the threads in the men's forum would be more at home in the general fragrance section; it's as if a number of posters gravitate to the men's forum as the designated place for men, per se, over and above being a space to discuss fragrances marketed to men.

As noted, the composition and emphasis of BN has evolved over the years, and - while men are probably in the majority at BN - members are welcome to post in all areas of the forum. My favorite threads tend to be those where everyone chimes in, irrespective of gender, in the sheer celebration of scent.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Nowadays, female online searchers will be directed most often to Fragrantica, which developed after BN. My entree to online frags was via MakeUpAlley, which used to be enticing for the ease of swapping it offered, but they dropped that feature. Once I got dug in here at BN, I found the atmosphere and the physical format became my favorite. If you think about it, it's pretty odd for M & F not to co-habitate, except I assume fewer men seek out fragrance than do women, so sites like Fragrantica could look off-putting to some men. I feel richer for being here, in the company of scent-sensitive men who expand my enjoyment of this wide-ranging art. I hope the men here feel the same way about BN's women contingent.
    100% this.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I find women BN members to be a lot more knowledgeable and approachable. Maybe because MFD attracts lots of young(juvenile) folks seeking PD/club type fragrances and that sets the tone of the boards. I am thankful that you all stick around here despite that.
    Men I've noticed have this drive to "win" at something, and to "dominate" their peers to become "alpha". I'm sometimes guilty of wanting to win too, just never usually in THIS hobby. I don't know how much of that is still instinct/hormonal and how much is just Stockholm Syndrome induced by culture (since a good number of us are not from the West), but it bleeds into the hobby here.

Gotta have the sexiest, most compliment-getting fragrance with the biggest price tag to prove our fitness in the socioeconomic Darwinism race, or got to have the rarest batch of an artisanal fragrance. To a much lesser extent, the boys even "unzip and whip" over who has the oldest, deepest vintage, or the most backups thereof, but ironically not in VFD, so at least there's a haven of maturity and perspective there that keeps it lighter and friendlier, because VFD feels quieter and better-policed by its users. Plus enough ladies visit VFD to keep testosterone levels bearable

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I've noticed that many of the threads in the men's forum would be more at home in the general fragrance section; it's as if a number of posters gravitate to the men's forum as the designated place for men, per se, over and above being a space to discuss fragrances marketed to men.

As noted, the composition and emphasis of BN has evolved over the years, and - while men are probably in the majority at BN - members are welcome to post in all areas of the forum. My favorite threads tend to be those where everyone chimes in, irrespective of gender, in the sheer celebration of scent.
    I also agree with this.

My takeaway:

There are more men on this site, and it greatly effects the culture here, but since people see gender forums as fences, a lot of the negativity is contained. I see a lot of douchy dudebro competitiveness confined to MFD, price point snobbery, batch code and reformulation madness, weird sycophantic behavior with certain fragrances and what they represent, and a lot of delusions of grandeur associated with pride of ownership.

I see it mostly in MALE niche circles, MALE youtuber/designer fans, and to a much LESSER degree, a few MALE vintage fans as well (mostly the new guys, since the longtime fixtures of VFD literally made VFD forum to escape the BS of the MFD population). If you're talking to GUYS on Basenotes, you are much more likely to encounter this sometimes toxic behavior, and will end up with some blocked users.

Yeah, I've seen some snobby, catty, know-it-all ladies too but the occurrence is much rarer. I've had 10-to-1 attacks from male users than female users in my time active here, but it's the same thing in other fanbases whether it's comics, gaming, sports, or any media/collectable format.

Guys just want to "win" and it reduces every debate to argument and a matter of right and wrong even if it's just "I like this and you don't", then further devolves to "You suck and here's why you should @#$% off". It's unacceptable but It's also inescapable. More food for thought: how often are the trolls here male versus female?

Just my 2 cents.
    oh look, I have a signature

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    ZC, you’ve given me lots to chew on because the internet can be a very strange and complicated place. This fragrance hobby is one of a few that makes me happy. I love getting excited about the vtgs, and reading what the better noses here have to say about the sometimes vast differences between this formula and that, etc. The in-depth analyzation and note breakdowns, all that crazy-good stuff, and so that’s why I’m here. (Hey, Nerdz, who’re you calling a Nerd?)

MakeUpAlley was my intro to online lurking. I didn’t join because I stumbled upon a verrrrrry ugly google search where the females, behaving very cattily towards each other, called each other names, ranging from the usual fat and ugly, to the more vulgar and profane, even a few threats. I knew I couldn’t be bothered dealing with that style of lowlife behavior then; I certainly won’t tolerate that lowlife behavior now. It was a social turn-off. Lots of helpful reviews were posted, so it wasn’t all bad. (I bought Guerlain Parure edt because of M.U.A. before it got the axe.)

Soon after, I discovered P.O.L. By comparison, minimal cattiness and rudeness to be found, far as I was able to tell as a daily voyeur. I picked up a lot of great pointers from that site over the years, and made some great blind buys recommended in the most sensical manner, as part of a conversational thread with sensical descriptions that appealed to my sensibilities.

My thoughts on basenoters: 1. Encyclopedia-grade A fragrance knowledge. 2. I learn things all the time. There are many intelligent, passionate people here. These little surprises make me feel good. 3. I enjoy it. I just do. Simple as that. 4. Easy, user-friendly site. I need that.

I use fragrantica as a supplement to basenotes for quick searches. Would I join? I have my reservations. Here’s why:
    There’s the simplest reason that I’m a technological simpleton, but there is something else. Again, I do a lot of searches, more so for this hobby than for any other, because the fragrance hobby is nuance-driven, on my part. (My other collections have a slightly different approach because the rules here don’t really apply there in quite the same way, as I look at other details, but that’s another story......) There was a fragrantica discussion thread about basenotes revealing that some folks found basenotes too much attitude to handle, and preferred staying where they are, as a kind of safety net. I didn’t buy it. Why wouldn’t I want to be around the more experienced fragrance connoisseurs and enthusiasts? The more knowledgeable? With noses more finely tuned than my own, with superior skills? Why would I want to stay in the same spot, knowing the same things? A more advanced olfactive lexicon?
    I find that attitude self-defeating. I’m a grown person and can handle my own. I do not suffer from such inferiority complexes.

I’m sticking with my basenotes membership. Better for me and my mind. End of story.
    I totally agree. Regardless of community drama or how the gender skews here, we do have the most passionate and knowledgeable community among perfume sites,I wouldn't go anywhere else unless made to.
    oh look, I have a signature

MFD seems to be a lot more active.
    Last edited by Ifti; 10th June 2019 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    Interesting; did not know that.