Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Your 2019 Fragrance Netto

So, many of us has got ourselves some fragrance resolutions for 2019. I want to, at least, slow down my purchases. End some samples and maybe add a few bottles. How to keep track? The answer is this thread.

End a bottle in 2019 and you are -1. End a bottle and buy two new ones, then you are +1. Nothing advanced. I am counting my samples and decants as well as my bottles.

It will be interesting to see how long I can keep 0 or a negative netto before my lust of purchasing takes back the control.

Please share how your collection is changing! And a happy new year to all of you!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Your 2019 Fragrance Netto

Good luck to you in your quest!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Can we count selling one off as -1?

I’d like to keep track of that in this thread, it could be interesting to see how different members do.

I have to admit though, I’ve never heard the word “netto” before. Netto and brutto, ya learn something new every day...
    Last edited by Buysblind; 31st December 2018 at 10:05 PM.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by H_West View Post
    So, many of us has got ourselves some fragrance resolutions for 2019. I want to, at least, slow down my purchases. End some samples and maybe add a few bottles. How to keep track? The answer is this thread.

End a bottle in 2019 and you are -1. End a bottle and buy two new ones, then you are +1. Nothing advanced. I am counting my samples and decants as well as my bottles.

It will be interesting to see how long I can keep 0 or a negative netto before my lust of purchasing takes back the control.

Please share how your collection is changing! And a happy new year to all of you!
    Fun idea!

I am simply too moved by this hobby to restrict myself. You never know when you will discover an entirely new chapter for your olfactors to explore!

That said, my goal is simple: utilize only one fragrance per week.

That should 'throttle' my seeking and buying ... I think.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Good luck to you in your quest!
    Thanks! You are welcome to post here too. It would be fun to see your score. Maybe +500?

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Can we count selling one off as -1?

I’d like to keep track of that in this thread, it could be interesting to see how different members do.

I have to admit though, I’ve never heard the word “netto” before. Netto and brutto, ya learn something new every day...
    Of course we can. Any change in the collection is interesting.

Maybe net is a better word? Like gross/net. I think I’m writing swenglish

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    Fun idea!

I am simply too moved by this hobby to restrict myself. You never know when you will discover an entirely new chapter for your olfactors to explore!

That said, my goal is simple: utilize only one fragrance per week.

That should 'throttle' my seeking and buying ... I think.
    Great goal! Look forward to see the development. I am not that strict myself. If I stumble upon a good deal I will probably take it.

Even if amounting to 0 during this year, there will still be enough both standalone fragrance bottles, not to mention backups, flankers, scented products to still not worry abpoout going out of fragrance neither in 2019 nor anytime soon

I ended a sample today which makes me -1 already. Small sample of Guerlain Homme Intense...

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Mine grows, but relatively slowly, and a lot of the new bottles are backups of fragrances that have grown on me that I imagine keeping in stock for the next 50 years.

+1

I bought a bottle of A Taste of Heaven, something I've been searching all over for...for a while. Looks like I'm up 1 at the moment.

In 2018, I acquired 4 and used up 6, net -2. In 2019, I want to acquire 3 and use up 4, net -1. But there are some others I could use up, too, if I focus.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

+1

I bought a bottle of A Taste of Heaven, something I've been searching all over for...for a while. Looks like I'm up 1 at the moment.
    I have not tried that one yet. How do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    In 2018, I acquired 4 and used up 6, net -2. In 2019, I want to acquire 3 and use up 4, net -1. But there are some others I could use up, too, if I focus.
    Nice plan. Time will tell

Sold 13 today, so...

+1

Netto = -12

Sold 13 today, so...

+1

Netto = -12
    Nice job!

Love how you’re using the thread to tally day by day. I should do that.

Nice job!

Love how you’re using the thread to tally day by day. I should do that.
    Thank you...

Join in!

I’m hoping a few more people do it so we can encourage each other to stick to it.

Thank you...

Join in!

I’m hoping a few more people do it so we can encourage each other to stick to it.
    Definitely! I’ll be a more sporadic contributor because I am not doing any selling of full bottles this year (not that I have planned, anyway). They’re all good enough to use up, or not worth enough to sell. I did a lot of selling in 2016-2017. And I used up a lot of my low-hanging fruit last year. This year, keeping to my plan will require more focus.

I plan to buy something with my birthday money fairly soon (birthday was November, but I wanted to take some time on the decision).

But also I think I’ll use up something this month. *fingers crossed*

Sold 3. Won’t be buying any more for a while.

Definitely! I’ll be a more sporadic contributor because I am not doing any selling of full bottles this year (not that I have planned, anyway). They’re all good enough to use up, or not worth enough to sell. I did a lot of selling in 2016-2017. And I used up a lot of my low-hanging fruit last year. This year, keeping to my plan will require more focus.

I plan to buy something with my birthday money fairly soon (birthday was November, but I wanted to take some time on the decision).

But also I think I’ll use up something this month. *fingers crossed*
    I hear you about the low hanging fruity and your plan requiring more focus now. I'm almost there myself. I ditched about 100 over the last year and for the most part, they were easy to choose. But after I unload this next group of 20 it gets tough, and I need to slow down and make good decisions so I don't mess up and sell off something I'll regret. The hardest ones are those discontinued bottles that don't get much wear, What to do with them? Sell or hold? Anyway, good luck and don't hesitate to check in when the time is right!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Netto = -3

You're off to a good start!

Thank you...

Join in!

Nice to see some activity! While you guys operate in bottles I have only come to decants so far. I will try to track both though.

Boom! Which three did not meet the ChuckW requirements?

I sold a decant so now I'm -2.

Musc Imperial - I rarely get that bad performance. Maybe it did not suit me that good either.

Quote Originally Posted by H_West View Post
    Nice to see some activity! While you guys operate in bottles I have only come to decants so far. I will try to track both though.

Boom! Which three did not meet the ChuckW requirements?

I sold a decant so now I'm -2.

Musc Imperial - I rarely get that bad performance. Maybe it did not suit me that good either.
    You know, they were not really poor scents, just not good enough to warrant skipping over the great ones. It's a shame when we use the average while bypassing the great.

More to come. I have 9 more up for the chop.

I sold two in the last 3 weeks. Plan to cull again in the next month or so.

+1

Bought Lacoste L’Homme Inense

Metro = -11

It’s potentially useless purchases made out of sheer curiosity like these I need to begin resisting. Though I guess it could be good.

+1

Bought Lacoste L’Homme Inense

Metro = -11

It’s potentially useless purchases made out of sheer curiosity like these I need to begin resisting. Though I guess it could be good.
    I haven't faced a really difficult temptation to add just yet, but Houbigant Fougere Royale is whispering to me...

Decided to do my cull last night. Four more bottles gone, plus a slew of decants and some body products.

I am REALLY going to try to not buy any scents in January at all, no matter how many I subtract. So far, so good, but it's only 1/8/19.

I am REALLY going to try to not buy any scents in January at all, no matter how many I subtract. So far, so good, but it's only 1/8/19.
    Just try to avoid the really spontaneous ones at least. I find those are the purchases I usually end up selling off very soon; the stuff that comes in and I sniff and just shrug. Meh. Like Lacoste L'Homme Intense? I have no idea really why I bought this. I stumbled upon it, said, "Hmmm...that sounds good," found it on Fragrancenet and pulled the trigger. All within 5 or 10 minutes. I mean it coud be good , but what are the chances it's going to be great?

Netto now -6...I sampled Fougere Royal a week ago and my wife and I really liked it. So when I do buy one, that’s a likely target.

Maybe when I get my number to -12 I might buy 1.

You know, they were not really poor scents, just not good enough to warrant skipping over the great ones. It's a shame when we use the average while bypassing the great.

More to come. I have 9 more up for the chop.
    Well put Chuck. I often try to work each fragrance I own into my rotation. Gonna use that to sell off a few. Pure Malt and a few John Varvatos come to mind to sell.

I hear you about the low hanging fruity and your plan requiring more focus now. I'm almost there myself. I ditched about 100 over the last year and for the most part, they were easy to choose. But after I unload this next group of 20 it gets tough, and I need to slow down and make good decisions so I don't mess up and sell off something I'll regret. The hardest ones are those discontinued bottles that don't get much wear, What to do with them? Sell or hold? Anyway, good luck and don't hesitate to check in when the time is right!
    Thanks for the encouragement! On the subject of discontinued things that don’t get much wear, that’s a tough one. What I decided to do was keep track of my wears daily for a year and hold onto all of those for that year. At the end of the year (I think it was 2016), whatever got less than 8 wears got culled. This is because I wanted to go back to a 30 fragrance wardrobe and with 30 fragrances, most fragrances should get worn monthly on average unless they’re very seasonal in nature. So 8 was a good number because it meant something that was worn monthly for 2/3 of the year or twice monthly for something more seasonal.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    Decided to do my cull last night. Four more bottles gone, plus a slew of decants and some body products.
    Did you sell, bin, or give away?

Just sold a lot of 18.

Netto = -29