Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Etat Libre d'Orange - 500 Years & Spice Must Flow

Just found these beauties on the Selfridges website, but there's no information about these anywhere else, including the Etat Libre d'Orange website:

http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/...006244-YRS100/
    http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/...006244-SMF100/

Spice Must Flow is clearly a reference to the classic novel 'Dune', but what does 500 Years refer to, I wonder?

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Etat Libre d'Orange - 500 Years & Spice Must Flow

Oh how neat a Dune reference!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Oh My! I wonder if these will ever make it to the States. Would love to have both and looks like limited availability!

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

They also have a higher price point, which suggests that perhaps EldO is looking at launching some pricier offerings. Too bad my local Selfridges doesn't carry the line! I'd love to try these

Now Smell This has a brief article on them (although it is probably just based on the info. on Selfridges)
    https://nstperfume.com/2019/01/02/et...new-fragrances

Im surprised there isnt more known. Does etat libre usually not have some weird marketing blurb go go with a launch?

I love the dune reference and the bottle, but the 500 year one has me puzzled too!
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

500 years one looks to be house of york or tudor rose?
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    500 years one looks to be house of york or tudor rose?
    Well done. It's just over 500ish years ago that the War of Roses happened. Maybe it's a nod to that?

These appear very interesting!
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

More like LOW PRICES MUST GO... But rose and spices are up my alley so this could be interesting.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Maybe they're taking a hint from Lutens and offering a high-end fancy-pants line?

Either way, they both sounds stunning, and the booootttlleeeesss!!!

Basenotes Plus

Can someone explain the Dune reference? I never read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Can someone explain the Dune reference? I never read it.
    In the Dune series there exists a drug/medicine only found on the planet Dune which can extend life, and has other benefits as well, but also negative aspects, for instance it is addictive and withdrawal can be fatal. This drug is called Melagne, but is also often referred to as "spice" or "the spice". There is a saying in the Dune series, "The spice must flow", referring to it's importance to the galactic/space-wide economy.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by SmellYouLater View Post
    There is a saying in the Dune series, "The spice must flow", referring to it's importance to the galactic/space-wide economy.
    Thank you!

Basenotes Plus

Dune the movie is under appreciated.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

In the Dune series there exists a drug/medicine only found on the planet Dune which can extend life, and has other benefits as well, but also negative aspects, for instance it is addictive and withdrawal can be fatal. This drug is called Melagne, but is also often referred to as "spice" or "the spice". There is a saying in the Dune series, "The spice must flow", referring to it's importance to the galactic/space-wide economy.
    Lawrence of Arabia in outer space, with spice as a metaphor for oil and the world’s dependence on Middle Eastern oil
    (with some psychedelic drug aspects and messianic religion thrown in).
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Dune the movie is under appreciated.
    It also starrs a Kyle MacLachlan looking like a young Adonis, and Patrick Stewart. Very trippy movie, though.

Wow, that was a fantastically thorough yet concise explanation of The Spice in the book "Dune", SYL! Good job!

(Speaking of Dune, which I have read and re-read a number of times, I always wondered, what the heck is everyone EATING on a planet that is 100% desert? How could anyone grow anything there, when the average person can barely afford enough water to even drink? And how are they even BATHING?! Whoa, now THERE is a planet in desperate need of Aventus!)

Fans of the Dune movie may be interested in "Jodorowsky's Dune", a documentary about cult film director Alejandro Jodorowsky's ambitious but ultimately doomed attempt at creating a Dune movie in the early 70's.

Fans of the Dune movie may be interested in "Jodorowsky's Dune", a documentary about cult film director Alejandro Jodorowsky's ambitious but ultimately doomed attempt at creating a Dune movie in the early 70's.
    Thanks for the reminder! Is this on Netflix? Jodorowsky is an amazing graphic novel writer in addition to his avant garde movies.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Maybe they're taking a hint from Lutens and offering a high-end fancy-pants line?
    Quite possibly.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Quite possibly.
    maybe someone will split them soon

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Thanks for the reminder! Is this on Netflix? Jodorowsky is an amazing graphic novel writer in addition to his avant garde movies.
    It appears that it is available on DVD and Blu-ray from Netflix, but not for streaming, and is available to rent on Amazon prime video (not free to stream for prime members).

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Both are available to rent on Google Play.

Pipe dreams, but wouldn't it be even better if the perfume had a nod to Dior's Dune as well?

Beautiful bottles. I will definitely sample if they become more available.

I love the Dune movie, even if I had to see it many times to comprehend it.

Dependent

Great bottles, would like to sample, but looks a difficult task.

My bottle of Spice Will Flow just arrived today. It's my SOTD for later this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My bottle of Spice Will Flow just arrived today. It's my SOTD for later this morning.
    Please let us know how you find it, Hednic!

People PLEASE don't watch the movie, at least not first. It's not terrible, but the books are so much better, and will leave you with a better impression of the Dune universe.

That said, the bottles and note breakdowns sound dope, but that price tag is
    Currently wearing: African Leather by Memo

Quote Originally Posted by yuncherrypops View Post
    People PLEASE don't watch the movie, at least not first. It's not terrible, but the books are so much better, and will leave you with a better impression of the Dune universe.

That said, the bottles and note breakdowns sound dope, but that price tag is
    While I am a fan of the Dune book series, and of David Lynch, I am not a big fan of his Dune movie. The Sci-fi (A.K.A. SyFy) channel did a Dune mini-series in 2000 which I thought was decent and did a better job of representing the Dune mythos.

One of the best alternate media adaptations of Dune may be the Dune II video game released by Virgin Games in 1992. Although based on the movie, many would argue it does a better job of story telling than the movie, and is more engrossing. It also established the real time strategy game archetype which many future games would emulate, such as Command & Conquer, Warcraft, StarCraft, etc . . .