Code of Conduct
    Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

Default Has L'eau D'hiver by Frederic Malle been reformulated?

Memory can be wrong, but I do feel when the first time when I sniffed L'eau D'hiver by Frederic Malle a few years ago, it used to be more solid, denser, compare with what I smelled this year. Anyone else had same feeling?
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Has L'eau D'hiver by Frederic Malle been reformulated?

It has been out for a while so my guess would be probably.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Almost every Malle has been reformulated. Musc Ravageur is a piss water (or to say frankly it has lost all the piss and became just plain water)

I have vintage L'Eau d'Hiver with the matte cap and it's definitely denser and iris prominent compared to a 3-year-old sample, the newer sample is more ethereal and has a larger dose of white musk. I haven't tried the current Lauder version.

Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    I have vintage L'Eau d'Hiver with the matte cap and it's definitely denser and iris prominent compared to a 3-year-old sample, the newer sample is more ethereal and has a larger dose of white musk. I haven't tried the current Lauder version.
    Ugh...Good things never last.
    Last edited by the blood on 530 27; 6th January 2019 at 12:54 AM.

I agree with mixerscent. Definitely reformulated.

L'Eau d'Hiver from my 3-year-old sample was still superb, just different from vintage. I've read about weak longevity, though there were no issues with the sample at all. L'Eau d'Hiver is quite synthetic so I'm not sure if IFRA regs would impact it too much.

The one I truly miss is Portrait of a Lady, the vintage was a potent jammy rose infused with a deep raspberry note.

I believe it has.

The original, which I still have, has more magic - he 'warm water' idea, the almost creamy (heliotrope?) undercurrent etc.

The more recent ones I've picked up (100ml and also some travel size for short hauls) are still quite distinctive but , to me, lean more towards a slightly tart, almondey fougere kinda thing. Nice, but 'streamlined' in a businesslike way that seems to lose a bit of the original charm. Still good, but there ya go!
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

I own the original from when it was first released, in fact, Les Senteurs only had one bottle and deciding whether to stock this one and I got it at a really great deal.

It has great sillage and longevity on me and as someone who loves heliotrope that was the reason I bought it.

Now, last year I was given a sample of the 2017/18 version and because of this thread went searching for it. Unfortunately, I must have given it away! To be honest I did not even try it! But I was reading a beauty newspaper column The Guardian online, Sally Hughes was talking nutty fragrances and mentioned L'Eau d' Hiver. I never actually considered it to be nutty? But yes almonds are nuts, but for me, it was more a heliotrope fragrance so this makes me think it has been reformulated into a more almond fragrance.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I own the original from when it was first released, in fact, Les Senteurs only had one bottle and deciding whether to stock this one and I got it at a really great deal.

It has great sillage and longevity on me and as someone who loves heliotrope that was the reason I bought it.

Now, last year I was given a sample of the 2017/18 version and because of this thread went searching for it. Unfortunately, I must have given it away! To be honest I did not even try it! But I was reading a beauty newspaper column The Guardian online, Sally Hughes was talking nutty fragrances and mentioned L'Eau d' Hiver. I never actually considered it to be nutty? But yes almonds are nuts, but for me, it was more a heliotrope fragrance so this makes me think it has been reformulated into a more almond fragrance.
    Thanks for the info! I too just found I don’t have a L’eau d’Hiver old vial that I thought I had.

The goddess of perfume wants company and our bottles probably went to perfume heaven?

Freed from BN Institution

It's certainly a pale shadow of it's former self. I could say the same for many of the earlier bottles as well.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35