Code of Conduct

Question What happened to Basenotes Awards?

Hello, I am quite new to this forum, so I'm browsing here and there finding some new interesting things to read.
    I stumbled upon Basenotes Awards section and I found it really interesting and amusing (and chuckled a bit seeing how Guerlain won ALL of them as the best house), I think these awards were a great idea. But I noticed the last awards were the 2016 ones, and it seems this great idea was discontinued since.

So I am interested in why was it discontinued? Do you, users of Basenotes, miss it? Or did something wrong happen, or maybe the interest was lost?

Also, if my question is redundant, feel free to delete this thread, but I was unable to find the answer via search.
    Thank you.

Default Re: What happened to Basenotes Awards?

I seem to recall Grant answering this question before saying that they were not getting enough participation in the awards. So they started to ask individual BNers with reviewing reputations to give an account of their best of the year. The article is on the home page.

http://www.basenotes.net/features/36...r-contributors
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Blog Entries

Welcome to basenotes, ClockworkAlice!

l think Zilpha is right, & you can add your favourites of 2018 in the comments section on that article. l do miss having the awards, though.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Oh, I see. It's too bad there wasn't enough participation in the end. On the other hand, you have to constantly sniff and/or try out most of the new fragrances AND be interested in the awards thing to meaningfully participate, so it's very understandable there aren't enough participators, even in the fragrance lovers' site.

Have you participated in Basenotes Awards before/would you've been participating (I believe it's a monster of a sentence construction and it's probably wrong, sorry for my sometimes broken English) if it were available this year? Or are you more like me, just happy to see the thoughts and evaluations of others?

Blog Entries

Your English is just fine, my dear.

l have participated & would do so again, but l don't get around to trying many new releases, so it probably wasn't a very fair vote.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Aw, thanks for reassuring me!

Hmm, but at least you voted for the ones that caught your attention, so it's probably still okay. And I think that such nominations as "Best bottle" or "All time best" are always fair, no matter how many new releases you actually tried.

Community Manager

I guess many of us have the same problem, we just can't keep up with the deluge of new releases. I have hardly sniffed anything that was launched in 2018. But maybe the awards could work if we actually waited a full year, meaning that now we could vote on the 2017 releases since more of the members have had a chance to smell them But would such a delayed award be of any interest?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker
    Currently wearing: LAVS by Unum

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    I guess many of us have the same problem, we just can't keep up with the deluge of new releases. I have hardly sniffed anything that was launched in 2018. But maybe the awards could work if we actually waited a full year, meaning that now we could vote on the 2017 releases since more of the members have had a chance to smell them But would such a delayed award be of any interest?
    When I was a newbie, these awards were a way to find out the trend and what to try. So yes 2017 awards this year will be helpful later on when someone needs to look up the 2017 trend.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel