Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Recently your fragrance tastes have changed how?

Basic tastes haven't changed recently, but I've really gone off lasting citrus top notes.
    It's why I don't enjoy Bogart Signature, or (enough for a FB purchase) ELdO' Je Suis un Homme.
    Considering the bottles of Armani Eau pour Homme (original) and Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet I've been through in past years, that's quite a change.

My quest for summer frags has come to an end - I'll just wear the greener vetivers (Guerlain, Etro Palais Jamais), and finish off Juniper Sling.
    Deep Winter : cold and clean : Etro Heliotrope, CdG Zagorsk; cold and dark : Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo, Lalique Encre Noire; incense etc : Penhaligon's Elixir, Etro Ambra, CdG Avignon, Unum Io Non Ho Mani
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Not much....I still enjoy about a dozen dark notes and my old favorites scents are still there in the top of my preferences, even if these days I'm gravitating more toward niche offerings (as novelty-some of them with oud, of course), with a strict selection in buying only what I love.
    Excepting few ones, I still don't like fresh or gourmand scents and my collection remains further based on oriental, woody, spicy, ambery, incense-y, leathery, resin-y scents like at the beginning.
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day..."
    Top 16 Winter :: Interlude : A*Men TOF : V&R Antidote : Escada Magnetism : TF Sahara Noir : Penh. Halfeti : Dior La Coll. Mitzah : Davidoff Zino : Musc Ravageur : Fate Man : MFK APOM : Laudano Nero : Carner B. Cuirs : Opus VI : Costume N. Homme : F. Boclet Cocaine ::
    Currently wearing: Déclaration by Cartier

I've been having a personal fougere renaissance lately. Not sure what sparked it, but clean/sharp, creamy tonka goodness has just been hitting the spot for me, particularity in the spicy/green/aromatic zone.

This was always a genre I was ambivalent about, but I've developed a major appreciation for the evolution, daily wearability and competent-but-fun personality this genre brings to the table.

I've become a bit less interested in leathers at the same time.

On a more general note, my patience for shiny modern scents with little discernible note separation or artistic direction is getting thin. (Add to the "well obviously" file, but it bears repeating). This is not me being a vintage snob; there are good modern creations. It's just that so many of them smell like muddy jumbles of AC-du-jour with no direction or voice.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Incendo by La Curie

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I like oak moss even more than before.

Been on a classics bender over the last few months, and the comment about letting a fragrance be, not trying to smell something that isn't there resonates with me.
    Also on a cut out the likes and keep the loves drive. Depending on how you feel, or where I am on the fragrance curve, I'm kinda hankering for the what is for now the holy grail - one for each season. Full stop.Done.
    Lol getting older (wiser?!) Cutting out the faff - less is more - simplez!
    To name a few of where I'm at: Polo Green/Aramis +900/ van cleef & arpels PH...
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I like oak moss even more than before.
    I love oak moss.

After a long time I began having headaches triggered by perfumes and I suspect it’s due to this new “woody” notes that are trending now. But at the same time my migraines started again. I will have to treat it one more time. I’m trying to concentrate on fragrances that are inoffensive, but it’s being difficult.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I love oak moss.
    Oak moss is a wonder and I'm really hoping whatever IFRA-compliant magic Thierry Wasser worked for the recent reconstruction of Mitsouko can be made available to other houses, assuming its cost can reduced to where companies would be willing to use it to both rehabilitate classics and support new compositions.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I've been having a personal fougere renaissance lately. Not sure what sparked it, but clean/sharp, creamy tonka goodness has just been hitting the spot for me, particularity in the spicy/green/aromatic zone.

This was always a genre I was ambivalent about, but I've developed a major appreciation for the evolution, daily wearability and competent-but-fun personality this genre brings to the table.

I've become a bit less interested in leathers at the same time.

On a more general note, my patience for shiny modern scents with little discernible note separation or artistic direction is getting thin. (Add to the "well obviously" file, but it bears repeating). This is not me being a vintage snob; there are good modern creations. It's just that so many of them smell like muddy jumbles of AC-du-jour with no direction or voice.
    I could easily write these exact words. Interesting.

Still loving leather, resins, woods and florals, but not afraid to enjoy gourmands now.
    "That lover which is like fragrance
    Whose voice is as beautiful as Urdu.

She who hides in the flowers
    you can only find her from her fragrance."

"Chaiyya Chaiyya," from the film, "Dil Se."
    Currently wearing: Hypnôse by Lancôme

Two years ago I was obsessed and curious with sandalwood, then greens (vetivers and fougeres) for a while, and currently feel like I've settled down.

Very interesting thread. As the years go by, I've found myself to like aromatic and floral scents even more than before, and to gradually dislike gourmands, strange leathers and fragrances heavy on patchouli.

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I’m gravitating more towards more masculine fragrances and losing interest in the gender benders, also for awhile now sweet fragrances are a no for me with the exception of LIDGE now EDP.
    I'm pretty much in agreement with you about being drawn towards more masculine fragrances with the exception of the Dior Homme line. I have a current passion for Patchouli which I am exploring and also gravitating more and more towards oakmoss. I am getting bored of tobacco & leather. That's about it.
    My All Time Top 5
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    Baccarat Rouge 540 EDP - Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Bois Du Portugal - Creed
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

For a while now I've been gravitating towards the classic styled gentleman's fragrances whether vintage or modern but retro styled. I am partial towards Fougeres, citrus aromatic scents. Though a big exception is made for D R Harris Sandalwood aftershave, amazing spicy Sandalwood with the performance of a Edc.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Top Five

1. Vintage Lauder For Men Cologne
    2. D.R. Harris Sandalwood (Aftershave)
    3. Vintage King Kouros Edt
    4. G F Trumper Eucris EdT & Edp
    5. Armani Eau Pour Homme

Basenotes Plus

Incense and smoke.

Stuff I would have considered "unwearable" a few years ago I now wear regularly, and without giving it much thought, the only considerations being the number of sprays and if it can be worn at the venue I'm attending. For social events pretty much anything can be worn.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    After a long time I began having headaches triggered by perfumes and I suspect it’s due to this new “woody” notes that are trending now. But at the same time my migraines started again. I will have to treat it one more time. I’m trying to concentrate on fragrances that are inoffensive, but it’s being difficult.
    Those woody notes do it to me, too. Migraine meds are my friends.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

I like quite a few white flowers fragrances now; I used to avoid them like the plague.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

I maybe like fruity notes that are realistic more than i did when I started. When I smelled the hyper-realistic black currant note on Diptyque's L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, it lit up a brand new interest in what to smell for in fragrances. I didn't used to care for berry notes, only nice citruses. Now I think my tastes have broadened a bit.

Im yet to figure out exactly how they've changed - but they have.

I've spent alot on Samples over the last month, which is something i never used to do before.

Everything i have tried - is crap !

It is very disappointing, i spent alot of time researching, reading, reviews etc -- and when sampled, very disappointed.
    Currently wearing: Cuir Andalou by Rania J

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I maybe like fruity notes that are realistic more than i did when I started. When I smelled the hyper-realistic black currant note on Diptyque's L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, it lit up a brand new interest in what to smell for in fragrances. I didn't used to care for berry notes, only nice citruses. Now I think my tastes have broadened a bit.
    If you like L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, try Diptyque's candle Baies, which is pretty much the same scent but a bit rounder and softer. It's such a nice ambient aroma.

i'm more and more moving away from edp versions of fragrances if edt version is available,

edt versions are more fun to me. edp versions are becoming for my taste at this moment, i don't know, like members of Kardashian family,

I've grown on vetivers and citrus scents. There are many threads where I consider myself as being not much of a citrus person.
    My taste has broadened a bit, in a way that I'm wearing sleeker oriental scents more often than my beloved powerhouse & retro stuff. I learned to like Sauvage for what it does, thinking of it as a nice fresh woody. I'm getting bored when I see the huge output of some niche lines and think I've found my favourites/fave houses in this genre.
    Finally I use to rotate less and wear a certain scent for many days in a row.