Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Sample Pass: THE ZOO

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Zephyr1973 please let us know when you receive my package. Enjoy!
    Got it!

Basenotes Plus

Creed Scent of Oger (2007)

OK - still operating on NOT looking at the notes/reviews: WTH!? Am I the only one who gets Body Odor from this? I mean, I sprayed it, and immediately thought of armpits. I assumed this may just be opening notes, and like many animalics, would open up into something maybe sexy - nope! This is the UNsexy scent of BO - and yes, there is a sexy-smelling BO!

There is something woody in the background, but every time I try and sniff to get a sense of what kind of wood, the blast of BO overwhelms anything else I could get to - and it's frustrating! LOL! There is something else there - but I am fighting through armpits to sort it out - Seriously - so tempted to see what the notes are! But if I do that, I feel my review will not be a "true" one.

It's been 45 minutes - and whereas the Angelique Encens is absolutely beautiful, this is a real scrubber. It makes me feel sort of nauseous.

Basenotes Plus

Carre Blanc (2018)

I've no idea what this is; there is a dank paper-like scent that doesn't smell very good; and then something herbal (?) and sharp. I have envisioned this:

Shadow-factory-008.jpg

Club Design (2016)

Sorta leather, but also rubber and not the sort you get from certain Oud scents - this reminds me of a mechanic's garage - I even get some vinyl - this is rough, but might appeal to men who miss their days playing with their car. I mean, this REALLY brings back some memories of going with my grandfather to the town mechanic - really neat for the memory, but I do not think I'd want to smell it constantly.

Community (2016)

Mild citrus - more of a veil of citrus - very light - it's not bad, but Guerlain does this better.

Fig My Love (2016)

GOOD GOLLY! This is incredibly powerful - BIG - and something sickeningly sweet with a sharp ending - I've never smelled a fig tree that smells like THIS - and I grew up with several varieties growing in a small grove at my family home. I do not know what is in this - but I do not understand the name - there is not any fig leaf or fruit in this - and I definitely do NOT love it!

Louis (2016)

This smelled nice coming out, but out has settled down to musty cloves and something indistinguishable. There may be something more here, but I cannot get past the idea of "musty cloves". And there is something almost rotten...maybe it's the orange the cloves were pressed into? Ugh. Not pleasant.

Spacewood (2016)

This is like opening a piece of furniture purchased on Amazon, wrapped in far more plastic than necessary, and smelling of chemicals - it's the sort of thing you read reviews about and think "can't they make this smell better?". I have no idea what the intention of the nose for this was, but when I read "Spacewood", I assumed it would be something with raspberry, but I do not get that - instead, I am developing a painful migraine. Not good.

Basenotes Institution

Def' a hint of animalic and 'odor' in the Creed. I love that. Reminds me of Mouchoir de Monsieur, Jicky, etc.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1973 View Post
    Creed Scent of Oger (2007)

OK - still operating on NOT looking at the notes/reviews: WTH!? Am I the only one who gets Body Odor from this? I mean, I sprayed it, and immediately thought of armpits. I assumed this may just be opening notes, and like many animalics, would open up into something maybe sexy - nope! This is the UNsexy scent of BO - and yes, there is a sexy-smelling BO!

There is something woody in the background, but every time I try and sniff to get a sense of what kind of wood, the blast of BO overwhelms anything else I could get to - and it's frustrating! LOL! There is something else there - but I am fighting through armpits to sort it out - Seriously - so tempted to see what the notes are! But if I do that, I feel my review will not be a "true" one.

It's been 45 minutes - and whereas the Angelique Encens is absolutely beautiful, this is a real scrubber. It makes me feel sort of nauseous.
    This is the probably the first time that I'm hearing Scent of Oger smelling like BO. To me it smells something like an old school Eau de Cologne scent. I wonder if its the potpourri note that contributes to the BO smell.

Please do share your thoughts on Angelique Encens.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Carre Blanc (2018)

I've no idea what this is; there is a dank paper-like scent that doesn't smell very good; and then something herbal (?) and sharp. I have envisioned this:

Shadow-factory-008.jpg

Club Design (2016)

Sorta leather, but also rubber and not the sort you get from certain Oud scents - this reminds me of a mechanic's garage - I even get some vinyl - this is rough, but might appeal to men who miss their days playing with their car. I mean, this REALLY brings back some memories of going with my grandfather to the town mechanic - really neat for the memory, but I do not think I'd want to smell it constantly.

Community (2016)

Mild citrus - more of a veil of citrus - very light - it's not bad, but Guerlain does this better.

Fig My Love (2016)

GOOD GOLLY! This is incredibly powerful - BIG - and something sickeningly sweet with a sharp ending - I've never smelled a fig tree that smells like THIS - and I grew up with several varieties growing in a small grove at my family home. I do not know what is in this - but I do not understand the name - there is not any fig leaf or fruit in this - and I definitely do NOT love it!

Louis (2016)

This smelled nice coming out, but out has settled down to musty cloves and something indistinguishable. There may be something more here, but I cannot get past the idea of "musty cloves". And there is something almost rotten...maybe it's the orange the cloves were pressed into? Ugh. Not pleasant.

Spacewood (2016)

This is like opening a piece of furniture purchased on Amazon, wrapped in far more plastic than necessary, and smelling of chemicals - it's the sort of thing you read reviews about and think "can't they make this smell better?". I have no idea what the intention of the nose for this was, but when I read "Spacewood", I assumed it would be something with raspberry, but I do not get that - instead, I am developing a painful migraine. Not good.
    It's probably safe to say that The Zoo is a house that's not for you. Community and Club Design were the scents that I enjoyed from the pass but not anywhere close for a FB purchase.

Fig My Love was too harsh for me to want to wear. Fig is good only if it's more light and aromatic like Philosykos.

Since you mentioned BO earlier with Scent Of Oger, I could imagine of some of BO smell coming from Louis. I remember not liking it at all. The cumin was unbearable at times.

Spacewood was a linear metalic floral, I couldn't get anymore than just this accord.

Carre Blanc, nothing positive to say about this one. lol

I do agree with you on Community, Guerlain as well as Chanel and Creed make better selections for a citrus based scent.

Club Design is probably the best one from the bunch. I will say it skews more synthetic. I think they're better choice leather scents out there than this.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution

Fig My Love (2016)

GOOD GOLLY! This is incredibly powerful - BIG - and something sickeningly sweet with a sharp ending - I've never smelled a fig tree that smells like THIS - and I grew up with several varieties growing in a small grove at my family home. I do not know what is in this - but I do not understand the name - there is not any fig leaf or fruit in this - and I definitely do NOT love it!..
    I think the name is based on the fact that The Zoo's other scent, Rhubarb My Love, is like a companion scent to this one. I do not believe that they're trying to say in the title that you will 'love it'.

I did smell fig in this, but I have never ever smelled a fig tree in real life so perhaps our perceptions of "fig" are different.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

I think the name is based on the fact that The Zoo's other scent, Rhubarb My Love, is like a companion scent to this one. I do not believe that they're trying to say in the title that you will 'love it'.

I did smell fig in this, but I have never ever smelled a fig tree in real life so perhaps our perceptions of "fig" are different.
    Yea, I know the name was not to instruct sniffers to "love it" - I was just playing with words.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    This is the probably the first time that I'm hearing Scent of Oger smelling like BO. To me it smells something like an old school Eau de Cologne scent. I wonder if its the potpourri note that contributes to the BO smell.

Please do share your thoughts on Angelique Encens.
    Creed Angelique Encens (1933)

This is nothing like I expected based on the name - I thought it would be a blast of incense - instead, its rather soft. In fact, I am not sure I actually smell any incense - at least, not within the initial 10 minutes of application. To me, this has a well-blended and somewhat soft expression of something floral, but with a "bite" at the end of each sniff - herbal, but not very pronounced - which I am guessing is the "Angelica" portion of the name. There is a rose coming forward, though it is not pronounced. It is WARM, though - inviting. The Angelica is moving somewhat forward 20 minutes in. Really herbal but LOVELY! I have not yet looked at either BN or Fragrantica for the notes - or the price - am I going to be sad when I learn this is like the beautiful Vintage Tabarome? Too expensive to own? I really do like this - it is now showing up with the incense - how nice! I am not sure if I have ever smelled an Incense/Angelica composition before, but I think this has won me over. Ahhh...about 30-45 minutes in, I am getting something with Labdanum. This is so beautiful, I can hardly believe it is CREED! This is more of something I would have expected from Guerlain or FM. Now, to see what the notes are and the cost...

Creed Angelique Encens (1933)

This is nothing like I expected based on the name - I thought it would be a blast of incense - instead, its rather soft. In fact, I am not sure I actually smell any incense - at least, not within the initial 10 minutes of application. To me, this has a well-blended and somewhat soft expression of something floral, but with a "bite" at the end of each sniff - herbal, but not very pronounced - which I am guessing is the "Angelica" portion of the name. There is a rose coming forward, though it is not pronounced. It is WARM, though - inviting. The Angelica is moving somewhat forward 20 minutes in. Really herbal but LOVELY! I have not yet looked at either BN or Fragrantica for the notes - or the price - am I going to be sad when I learn this is like the beautiful Vintage Tabarome? Too expensive to own? I really do like this - it is now showing up with the incense - how nice! I am not sure if I have ever smelled an Incense/Angelica composition before, but I think this has won me over. Ahhh...about 30-45 minutes in, I am getting something with Labdanum. This is so beautiful, I can hardly believe it is CREED! This is more of something I would have expected from Guerlain or FM. Now, to see what the notes are and the cost...
    I'm glad you found something that you enjoyed from the pass. Send me a PM about AE, I might be able to help.

Basenotes Plus

My apologies if I have been more "brash" in my reviews upon this House - I do not mean to be unkind.

I have recently been working with raw materials and have spent quite a bit of time trying to compare/contrast fragrances I own that have the raw materials I have on their notes - basically, trying to "hone" my nose for specific notes.

I have also been doing a major purge of my wardrobe, keeping only those bottles that I truly adore. This may have contributed to my more harsh reviews. I do not want to offend or upset anyone - and my opinion is just one.

My apologies if I have been more "brash" in my reviews upon this House - I do not mean to be unkind.

I have recently been working with raw materials and have spent quite a bit of time trying to compare/contrast fragrances I own that have the raw materials I have on their notes - basically, trying to "hone" my nose for specific notes.

I have also been doing a major purge of my wardrobe, keeping only those bottles that I truly adore. This may have contributed to my more harsh reviews. I do not want to offend or upset anyone - and my opinion is just one.
    You're reviews are very valuable even if they're not in agreement to other individuals here, I would expect nothing less than honest feedback. At the end of the day it's only one individual's opinion - positive or negative. You did great!

Basenotes Plus

Thank you!! I feel a bit better now

Basenotes Plus

Since both cacio and grayspoole are in both this and the Rogue pass, I'm mailing the samples for BOTH passes to cacio - then he can send them to grayspoole - cuts down on postage, which is a HUGE help!

Got the samples and will fwd to grayspoole. Not a bad thing they got here though because while I do have the Zoo, I had not tried the Creed. Just to make sure, this Zoo pass contains 2 vials of Scent of Oger and 2 vials of Angelique Encens? Just to make sure what I am supposed to fwd.

As for Scent of Oger, concur with most others. Very pleasant traditional eau de cologne with herbs (to my nose prominent over the citrus). Very nice. Funny that the name seems to suggest something brutish when it is as polite as it gets. No body odor for me-I wonder if it's some kind of sensitivity to some material for zephyr.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Got the samples and will fwd to grayspoole. Not a bad thing they got here though because while I do have the Zoo, I had not tried the Creed. Just to make sure, this Zoo pass contains 2 vials of Scent of Oger and 2 vials of Angelique Encens? Just to make sure what I am supposed to fwd.

As for Scent of Oger, concur with most others. Very pleasant traditional eau de cologne with herbs (to my nose prominent over the citrus). Very nice. Funny that the name seems to suggest something brutish when it is as polite as it gets. No body odor for me-I wonder if it's some kind of sensitivity to some material for zephyr.

cacio
    The Creeds are bonus samples that I decided to add into the pass for fun.

Zephyr offered a unique take on the Scent of Oger which intrigued me. I entertain everyone's impression of the scents whether they are positive or negative. My impression of Scent of Oger was that it smelled like an classic Eau de Cologne. I get more citrus from it along with the herbs and spices. I look forward to hearing your impressions of Angelique Encens. I think you'll find the other Creeds Vintage Tabarome, Bayrhum Vetiver, Verveine Narcisse, and Aubepine Acacia interesting as well from the Rouge sample pass.

If you have any additional Zoo samples that you want to add feel free to do so. I know there's a second set available, never tried any from that one.

Great I am Interested.

I tried Angelique encens as well. Interesting, old style vanillic oriental base, with fresher top notes. There's something soapy (the angelica?), and powdery (heliotropin to my nose). Very interesting, but somehow it doesn't quite come together for me. Also, there is a note I must be oversensitive to which feels dusty and musty to me. Some powdery orientals can have that feeling, but if feels a bit too much for me.

I vaguely remember trying an angelique encens many years ago, and having a very different impression. Memory probably fails, but I'll check if I still have a sample somewhere and compare.

I'm glad I get to sample these rare perfumes...

Basenotes Institution

Got the samples and will fwd to grayspoole. Not a bad thing they got here though because while I do have the Zoo, I had not tried the Creed. Just to make sure, this Zoo pass contains 2 vials of Scent of Oger and 2 vials of Angelique Encens? Just to make sure what I am supposed to fwd...
    NCal put two of each so there'd be enough juice to last the whole pass. So please pass along both of them - unless you empty one of them in your sampling.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I tried Angelique encens as well. Interesting, old style vanillic oriental base, with fresher top notes. There's something soapy (the angelica?), and powdery (heliotropin to my nose). Very interesting, but somehow it doesn't quite come together for me. Also, there is a note I must be oversensitive to which feels dusty and musty to me. Some powdery orientals can have that feeling, but if feels a bit too much for me.

I vaguely remember trying an angelique encens many years ago, and having a very different impression. Memory probably fails, but I'll check if I still have a sample somewhere and compare.

I'm glad I get to sample these rare perfumes...
    A nicely written impression. The ambery vanillan base was my favorite part of Angelique Encens. Personally I didn't find it overbearing at all, it was just right. I consider it a comfort scent.

What other Zoo samples have you tried that are not part of the pass?

I agree that the drydown of Angelique encens did get better as it went (and it did for a long time).

as for the zoo, the additional ones I smelled were Rhubarb my love, everlasting, and vetyver rain. The one I liked was Rhubarb my love, which smells like the name implies. A lot of fun. The other two were nice, but more in the category of the safe Laudamiels (like Louis). they feel like laudamiel's entry in the spicy gourmand category (everlasting) and soft vetiver (vetyver rain).

cacio

as for the zoo, the additional ones I smelled were Rhubarb my love, everlasting, and vetyver rain. The one I liked was Rhubarb my love, which smells like the name implies. A lot of fun. The other two were nice, but more in the category of the safe Laudamiels (like Louis). they feel like laudamiel's entry in the spicy gourmand category (everlasting) and soft vetiver (vetyver rain).

cacio
    Would you consider the other set overall better, worse, or at par with this set of samples?

Scent tattoo/Club design and Louis are in both. Fig my love (in set 1) and Rhubarb (set 2) are standouts for me. So what's left is spacewood/carree/community vs everlasting/vetiver/sailors.

I'd say having to choose I'd go for 1, which has community and carree. Community would be a standout if I didn't have a dislike for aquatics-but if somebody is ok with them, that's probably the best aquatic around. Carree blanc is also very interesting, up top at least (the drydown felt flat to me). Spacewood, Everlasting, and vetiver are similar in the sense that they are classic forms, nice but not as exciting as the others.

Back when I bought there wasn't sailors but Amber (which left me unimpressed), so I cannot comment on this one.

Update-- I've received the samples from Cacio, thank you sir, and I will start testing and posting soon. As it happens, I am now in possession of two different sample boxes at the same time. I plan to finish up the venerable Mixerscent Vintages & Attars Pass ASAP and send it on its way (over on the Vintage Forum, check it out) and then I will begin to explore the modern scents of The ZOO.
    Currently wearing: Parfum Sacré by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Update-- I've received the samples from Cacio, thank you sir, and I will start testing and posting soon. As it happens, I am now in possession of two different sample boxes at the same time. I plan to finish up the venerable Mixerscent Vintages & Attars Pass ASAP and send it on its way (over on the Vintage Forum, check it out) and then I will begin to explore the modern scents of The ZOO.
    Take your time grayspoole, please finish Mixerscent's sample pass first.

Basenotes Institution

Update: Because of this sample pass I bought a decant of Carre Blanc. I thoroughly enjoyed wearing it and I wanted to experience more wearings. My partner also thinks it smells awesome on me. Which surprised me, because its so odd.

I wish the Seller sold a decant of Rhubarb My Love but I will have to source a decant of that elsewhere. I would love to own some of that.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Update: Because of this sample pass I bought a decant of Carre Blanc. I thoroughly enjoyed wearing it and I wanted to experience more wearings. My partner also thinks it smells awesome on me. Which surprised me, because its so odd.

I wish the Seller sold a decant of Rhubarb My Love but I will have to source a decant of that elsewhere. I would love to own some of that.
    Carre Blanc was my least favorite from the pass but nonetheless congrats on your decant

Regrettably The Zoo samples aren't sold individually unfortunately on the website. I wonder if the owner would make an exception by individual's request.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7