Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Sample Pass: THE ZOO

grayspoole - great advertisements. Love the fonts! I've never heard of Bisleri. I love how they marketed it like liquor - shirtless dude, bright canary yellow background...today's 'fitness supplements' are so godawful, masculine, HARCORE, EXTREME, black, grey colors, metal, grimaces. In that ad that dude looks like he's having fun. Now I want some Bisleri!

I remember discussing the smell of a 'multivitamin' from another scent. Now, I have to try to remember which one that was...
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I've never heard of Bisleri. I love how they marketed it like liquor - shirtless dude, bright canary yellow background...today's 'fitness supplements' are so godawful, masculine, HARCORE, EXTREME, black, grey colors, metal, grimaces. In that ad that dude looks like he's having fun. Now I want some Bisleri!
    Hardcore Bisleri drinkers were having fun, mikeperez23, because it was a 40 proof amaro or liqueur! And yet Italian mammas were advised to give a little to their bambini... Here's a fun Bisleri article, and then I will officially stop hijacking this thread...

https://www.diffordsguide.com/beer-w...ro-china-amari
    Currently wearing: Muse by Coty

I have never tasted this Bisleri here, but as an (older) Italian, I know well the variety of amari in Italy. Pretty much any vegetable, and beyond, can be turned into an amaro, with all sorts of flavors that probably only Italians appreciate. Now I have to find this Bisleri...

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    I’m jumping into this thread! “Breaking rare sealed flacons” does sound intensely pleasurable, grayspoole
    Oh no, Shemelimelle...it's awful! The glass stopper breaks off in the neck, and then you are really, really in trouble. Happened to me twice, and with luck, it never will again. Each time, I transferred the perfume to an identical empty vintage flacon, which are relatively easy to find, and then I could get on with my life.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hardcore Bisleri drinkers were having fun, mikeperez23, because it was a 40 proof amaro or liqueur! And yet Italian mammas were advised to give a little to their bambini... Here's a fun Bisleri article, and then I will officially stop hijacking this thread...

Ah it has cinchona bark! I love that smell. There's fragrances that smell like that. I own one: Splash Forte by IUNX.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

One of the Mugler miroir de (perhaps vanite?) had quinine. As for drinks, some brands have now arrived in the US as well (they're called china in Italian). There's also Barolo chinato, a dessert wine (Barolo wine with quinine).

cacio

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    One of the Mugler miroir de (perhaps vanite?) had quinine. As for drinks, some brands have now arrived in the US as well (they're called china in Italian). There's also Barolo chinato, a dessert wine (Barolo wine with quinine).

cacio
    Yes the Mugler is great. I've always wanted a bottle. http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128812.html

-- Eckhart Tolle

HheeeeeeeeEeeeeeyyaayyyyy.......how come no one is talking about Creed?
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

Freed from BN Institution

Oh that sounds very good, never tried it myself. I'll check out the article. You're not hijacking the thread, in fact I'm quite entertained by it. I'm learning something new.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    This is a line that I haven't explored from Mugler despite seeing the name of the bottles pop up here and there in the threads. Are there any in particular that stand out to you?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I'm so glad that odd notion of mine resonated with you, mikeperez23. When I am testing, I really try to ignore the note lists and the whole (rote) exercise of "picking out the (published) notes." So perfumes remind me of strange things--like Bisleri. Is anyone else familiar with this stuff? We had a bottle of Bisleri in the house when I was a kid, and my mother would try to give me some because she thought it would "build me up." And when I was smelling Angelique Encens, Bisleri just came to mind, for the first time in years, because that odd metallic/herbal quality.

Please indulge me as I add some Ferro-China Bisleri nostalgia. The print ads are just amazing:

Attachment 100429
    Attachment 100428

I remember that my brother and I used to enjoy the animated commercials and jingles on Italian TV too.
    That is a very interesting comparison. I was trying to find the jingles and commercials on youtube. I only found recent stuff unfortunately. Without looking up Bisleri or the history of it, it sounds like they've been around for ages. The printed ads definitely support it. Were those ads from the middle of the 20th century?

NCal

I don't remember much of the other two Miroirs-so presumably they didn't rimpress me. The des vanites is fun because, as Luca Turin says, smells like an Italian aperitif-bitter (from quinine) plus citrus. A nice fresh thing, worthy if one finds it and it's not expensive, but not something one has to spend a lot for.

It's definitely not the bitter amari (ie high alcohol digestifs like I guess said Bisleri). These are much stronger and herbal.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Were those ads from the middle of the 20th century?
    The lion with "robur" (vigor) on his tongue was a Bisleri trademark back into the 19th c. I haven't been able to date (yet) the color ad I posted but here he is in an 1899 opera playbill:

IMG_3083.jpg

Meanwhile, the barechested man is from the 1930's.

Coming back to scent, I'm now wondering if it's iron or quinine that I smelled in Angelica Encens (Bisleri contains both). Interested to hear about the Mugler Miroir with the quinine note, cacio and mikeperez23.

When I smelled Angelique encens, i wasn't reminded of amari. But amari do contain aromatic materials, like angelica, so I wouldn't be surprised by any similarity.

China amari have a bitter note, not miles away from the usual bitter notes of stuff like campari or aperol (when drunk straight).

cacio

I’m here! I see you! I’m not talking because I think you know what I’m thinking!!!!!!!!!! What’s going on with the Creeds??

True or false rumor for reissues of Angelique Encens + Aubepine Acaciosa??

HEY! Yay or nay??
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds

Samples arrived safely this morning. Today was a rough day, in more ways than one. I'll begin sampling in a day or two...

Basenotes Institution

...Coming back to scent, I'm now wondering if it's iron or quinine that I smelled in Angelica Encens (Bisleri contains both). Interested to hear about the Mugler Miroir with the quinine note, cacio and mikeperez23.
    I will PM you with more info soon grayspoole

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Here I go... Fig My Love... Wet, rain forest. Wet soil. Tiny fig, at first. Wet leaves. Fig note increases in time. It isn't overly sweet. It's a tad creamy (for a brief moment or two). It settles into a woody-fig accord; like a tree and its bark, the soil around its base. It's an enjoyable fig-centric scent. Never becomes cloying.

It doesn't really change much, for me. It stays figgy and woody. The soil vibe goes away, which is a part I really like. This one had massive sillage, with only one spray. Lasted about seven or so hours [which basically, all of them did, for me.] I'd give this one three stars.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spacewood... Aldehydes and hairspray. That, is pretty much all I smell, for the most part. Later, some good mimosa. It was kind of dusty, happy, in its own way. Honestly, I didn't get more than this, for this fragrance. It just sat close to the skin with little to no sillage. Only 2 stars, for Spacewood.

Louis... Green. Herbal. I smell leather - suede leather. It's a trick - the orris does this to my nose often. The cumin here, is nice. It mixes well with the other notes. I think this frag leans more towards masculine. I like this one better than the others so far.

It smells outdoorsy for awhile. The orris peeks through giving a little iris vibe. There is a sweet floral note as well, I can't identify. If it's the orange blossom, it has been enhanced by cloves and cardamom. I get some musk that reminds me of the 1970's. I get a more buzzy balsamic thing closer to the skin later. I still smell some sweetness, as like diluted honey.

More and more prominent balsam fir later, tinged with orris, seems to linger the most. There are dots of powdery-ness. Louis seems a lot more complex, even artsy for me. I'm thinking I may need more of this in the future. Four stars, here.

Basenotes Plus

Community... Kitchen sink creations always pose a challenge. Old pencil eraser smell. Odd, ionized air. It smells niche. It reminded me at first, of something by Oliver & Co. I got muted citrus. It's as though the fruits are mashed together, resting in a bowl, in another room. Distant, but there. I got more oddness like a strange chemical odor.

It was hard for me to pick out many individual notes. I got an occasional woody note, almost like cashmere wood. Later, I got some "darker" notes, as well as touches of vetiver and musk. Some earthiness, too. For as many notes listed, I didn't get a lot here. Not much for sillage either... I got a very dainty floral-like note as time went on.
    This one started out interesting then fell away. 3 stars.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Club Design... New leather. Ever-so-skanky musk. A bright, incense-y cedar & sandalwood. I smell a bit of sweet fruit, then I get a lot of powderiness - perhaps from flowers. To be honest, this reminds me of Louis in some respects. The styrax is good - a fave note of mine. I like how it mixes with the leather, cedar, and mimosa. The leather seems enhanced by the latter two, in conjunction with the styrax. the leather is the star here. The whole thing eventually seems to grow a little sweeter after time. I enjoy this one - 4 stars.

Carre Blanc... What's with all the "C" names, anyway?? Bitter. Ultra green, leafy blast. Sour grapefruit. Fresh chopped rhubarb. A slight metallic note. Urine-tinged, barnyard hay - the dregs that have fallen from the trough onto the trampled ground. Some sort of piercing wood odors. The smell of freshly snapped, thin branches or the sucker branches of a tree. I remember this acrid smell from my youth.

The grapefruit note gets stronger. The hay note becomes cleaner. Birch. I smell birch. The high-pitched green notes stick around, hovering over the birch notes. Eventually, I get a little orris, iris feel, close to the skin. Has half-decent sillage. I'm not big on green scents. I kind of enjoy this weirdo. Three and a half stars.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Creed Scent of Oger... I get bergamot and mint. Juicy grapefruit. Maybe a pink grapefruit. There is lemony goodness here, too. I think of hard candies in those colorful, little tins. Good sour note. The mint comes and goes for me. I get an herbal touch mixed in and around the mint. Smells of sage underneath. Mint gets a little stronger, briefly, which is then accosted by vetiver and a powdered combo accord of iris and rose. All citrus has left the building.

There is something else rather dry here. Can't give it a name. It is papery like papyrus or a thin wood accord. Perhaps diet cedar or sandalwood? I get an oakmoss-like thing. Greenish, earthy, with vetiver still hanging around. A pleasant smelling Creed, I'll give you that. I am still stumped by a note I cannot identify. It's like some old-fashioned powdery, floral that vaguely reminds me of new linen fabric, stale heliotrope or maybe wisteria. Who knows. I'm stumped.

...I am not going to give my impression of Angelique E. I didn't even spray any. I won't give in to torture for a perfume I know for certain, I will not purchase. It's one that impressed me, back when I tried it; so much so, I fell in love (and I consider it a "unicorn"). I know my sample originally came from N.Cal, via thediamondsea. I recognize the printing on the label from this particular pass.

I'll be sending on the samples probably on Monday.

Basenotes Institution

"diet cedar" lol. Great description!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    "diet cedar" lol. Great description!

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post

...I am not going to give my impression of Angelique E. I didn't even spray any. I won't give in to torture for a perfume I know for certain, I will not purchase. It's one that impressed me, back when I tried it; so much so, I fell in love (and I consider it a "unicorn"). I know my sample originally came from N.Cal, via thediamondsea. I recognize the printing on the label from this particular pass.

I'll be sending on the samples probably on Monday.
    HOP, Angelique Encens is now available at the Creed Boutiques if you really want the fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    HOP, Angelique Encens is now available at the Creed Boutiques if you really want the fragrance.
    Well, I couldn't even begin to guess, where the closest Creed store is to me.

The nearest NYC Creed boutique is on 794 Madison Ave., corner of 68th Street!!!!!!!!!! In another hop, skip, and a Iil’ jump, I’ll find myself at Laduree, gobbling up a yummy pastry. Hope they have a violette-cassis religeuse reserved with my name piped on it, but I digress.......hahahahahaha.......Will be there this week!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I couldn't even begin to guess, where the closest Creed store is to me.
    I think you could call the Creed Boutique to ask them to mail you out a sample.

Phone: (212) 439-7777
    Last edited by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer; 22nd April 2019 at 03:20 AM.

Laduree sells religieuses?I I have not been in a Laduree store recently, but that would be a good reason to do so.

cacio

Here I go... Fig My Love... Wet, rain forest. Wet soil. Tiny fig, at first. Wet leaves. Fig note increases in time. It isn't overly sweet. It's a tad creamy (for a brief moment or two). It settles into a woody-fig accord; like a tree and its bark, the soil around its base. It's an enjoyable fig-centric scent. Never becomes cloying.

It doesn't really change much, for me. It stays figgy and woody. The soil vibe goes away, which is a part I really like. This one had massive sillage, with only one spray. Lasted about seven or so hours [which basically, all of them did, for me.] I'd give this one three stars.
    I found this take on fig is a bit harder to wear. Green more dense. My kind fig is more something like to Philosykos. Airy, creamy, smooth which Fig My Love is none of that IMO.

Community... Kitchen sink creations always pose a challenge. Old pencil eraser smell. Odd, ionized air. It smells niche. It reminded me at first, of something by Oliver & Co. I got muted citrus. It's as though the fruits are mashed together, resting in a bowl, in another room. Distant, but there. I got more oddness like a strange chemical odor.

It was hard for me to pick out many individual notes. I got an occasional woody note, almost like cashmere wood. Later, I got some "darker" notes, as well as touches of vetiver and musk. Some earthiness, too. For as many notes listed, I didn't get a lot here. Not much for sillage either... I got a very dainty floral-like note as time went on.
    This one started out interesting then fell away. 3 stars.
    I do agree some of the notes are harder to pick out than others. The opening was really nice citrus accord accompanied by mint and aldehyde. The drydown I got vetiver, cedar wood and musk. It does have a strong synthetic feel but despite that it was one of the better scents from the collection IMO.

Club Design... New leather. Ever-so-skanky musk. A bright, incense-y cedar & sandalwood. I smell a bit of sweet fruit, then I get a lot of powderiness - perhaps from flowers. To be honest, this reminds me of Louis in some respects. The styrax is good - a fave note of mine. I like how it mixes with the leather, cedar, and mimosa. The leather seems enhanced by the latter two, in conjunction with the styrax. the leather is the star here. The whole thing eventually seems to grow a little sweeter after time. I enjoy this one - 4 stars.
    My favorite from the pass. Did you get a burning rubber accord from Club Design? A very nice smoky, dirty, leather scent overall.

Creed Scent of Oger... I get bergamot and mint. Juicy grapefruit. Maybe a pink grapefruit. There is lemony goodness here, too. I think of hard candies in those colorful, little tins. Good sour note. The mint comes and goes for me. I get an herbal touch mixed in and around the mint. Smells of sage underneath. Mint gets a little stronger, briefly, which is then accosted by vetiver and a powdered combo accord of iris and rose. All citrus has left the building.

There is something else rather dry here. Can't give it a name. It is papery like papyrus or a thin wood accord. Perhaps diet cedar or sandalwood? I get an oakmoss-like thing. Greenish, earthy, with vetiver still hanging around. A pleasant smelling Creed, I'll give you that. I am still stumped by a note I cannot identify. It's like some old-fashioned powdery, floral that vaguely reminds me of new linen fabric, stale heliotrope or maybe wisteria. Who knows. I'm stumped.
    I think you probably were right on picking up some of the wood notes. That's what I picked detected at the base. Scent of Oger reminded me of an old school Eau de Cologne fragrance. I picked more citrus than spices from the potpourri.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast