Code of Conduct

Thread: Width of posts

Default Width of posts

Hello All,

This may seem like a minor matter, but can anyone tell me why many, but not all, of my posts end up being displayed unnecessarily narrow in width within the threads, while those of most others are the "normal" width, i.e., fill the available left-right space? I have gone around and around trying to make my "narrow" posts display like most others, but to no avail.

Thanks for any suggestions or information on this trivial but (for me) very annoying matter.

Default Re: Width of posts

And just to demonstrate what I am referring to here, the above post is being displayed in the "narrow" fashion, while this one, for no obvious reason that I can discern, is not.

EDIT: Looking at this post for a second time, it is now reduced in width and narrow as well! This is really weird.

Blog Entries

l find that when l first submit a post, it displays in the "wide" version, but when l go back to the thread later it's in the "narrow" version. This has been the case for a long time. lt doesn't annoy me though, l just consider it one of the quirks of the site.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: tba by Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l find that when l first submit a post, it displays in the "wide" version, but when l go back to the thread later it's in the "narrow" version. This has been the case for a long time. lt doesn't annoy me though, l just consider it one of the quirks of the site.
    Thanks Teardrop.

Yes, I have read enough threads here (many!) to have noticed that most posts are displayed in the "wide/normal" manner, but some others are "narrow". It's just odd that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which posts display in which manner, even my own --- it doesn't seem to be a function of responding with a quote, for example, or having edited a post either.

It only bothers me because sometimes I can write a pretty long post, and it is annoying to have it take up almost twice as much space, top to bottom, than it needs to. It just makes posts easier to read when they are not narrowed-down sideways for no apparent reason.

I was really hoping that somebody could provide a suggestion to help avoid this annoying problem!

But it's not just annoying for me --- I just made a substantial post starting a thread, and it is MUCH longer in the "narrow" form, and more awkward to read, than it would be in the (normal) "wide" mode. So I'd like to avoid this "narrow post" situation not just for myself, but for the ease of readability of my posts for others as well.

Anyone?

Try this....

Click on "Settings" at the top of the page.

Then click on "General Settings" on the left.

Then scroll all the way to the bottom. The third setting from the bottom you'll see "Forum Skin"

Use the pulldown menu and set it on "Wide Forums"

Then click on "Save" at the bottom of the page to save the choice you made.

That expands everything to the width of the page, for me.

I agree....it can be very annoying if not set correctly.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Try this....

Then scroll all the way to the bottom. The third setting from the bottom you'll see "Forum Skin"

Great Red Raider, and thanks! I suspect that your suggestion will solve the problem --- I'll give it a try right now.

EDIT: Nope, that didn't seem to help! Oh well, thanks for trying anyway.

Oh Grant.....
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Oh Grant.....
    Hey Red Raider, I went into "Settings" and did as you said for a second time, and NOW it seems to be working for me, go figure.
    So thanks very much!

Blog Entries

Try this....

I agree....it can be very annoying if not set correctly.
    I wondered why my posts were narrow! Thanks for posting.

Glad it's working for others.

I have used this setting for years, so I forget that many don't know about it.

I wonder if there's a reason it's not the default setting. Seems like it would be the preference for most everyone.