Code of Conduct

Default Black boots - necessary, dispensable or something in between

Well, since I got a pair of Double H boots, I have found that those are my most comfortable shoes. Something about having the heel a little higher than the arch and walking more on the balls of my feet. So got some brown Allen Edmonds lace up boots (kinda like Red Wing with the stiching across the toe), some Frye harness boots, and a pair of snuff suede Chelsea boots.

So, wearing a black 1/4 zip sweater with khakis. Wore the darker brown Frye boots. Would you have gone some black boots, maybe engineer or harness, to be tonal, or is brown ok? Substitute jeans for khaki, same thing?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Black boots - necessary, dispensable or something in between

It's OK to wear brown boots and brown belts with a black sweaters/shirts. If you were wearing black pants with your black top, I would suggest you go with black boots.

But, to answer the thread title question, a pair of black boots is necessary for my wardrobe.
    Last edited by bklow; 11th January 2019 at 09:23 PM.

From a personal viewpoint alone-somewhere in between, black boots of good quality and fine leather being usually a quite sturdy, versatile and practical addition to most outfits

With jeans and khaki, brown is fine. As others were saying, having also a black pair would give more flexibility. But if you had to decide between black boots and black dress shoes, I'd go with black dress shoes.

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Would you have gone some black boots
    I probably would have.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I could not get through the day without these (okay, get through the week--I don't wear them every day and I do have brown ones, too):

R.M.Williams.jpg
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bklow View Post
    It's OK to wear brown boots and brown belts with a black sweaters/shirts. If you were wearing black pants with your black top, I would suggest you go with black boots.
    Nope for my taste. Avoid the ninja look. Black shoes with a black suit, but with black pants and black sweater go for a brown belt and brown shoes for accent and a bit of sprezzatura style. Matchy-matchy would not be my choice. With the black 1/4 zip and khaki's--brown would be my choice. Black boots would be too stark a contrast with khakis. Change it to jeans, and I'd vote for black shoes/belt.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

Black with brown is a great combo.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    So, wearing a black 1/4 zip sweater with khakis. Wore the darker brown Frye boots. Would you have gone some black boots, maybe engineer or harness, to be tonal, or is brown ok? Substitute jeans for khaki, same thing?
    I don't know why, but i've always been wildly triggered by khaki chinos paired with any shade of brown colored shoe. I can't even pinpoint why this bothers me so much it just does. Khaki is usually a summer color pant for me in which case i'll only wear a white or black shoe.

As for the jean, it's entirely dependent on the wash color in my opinion.

If you're ever stumped, i highly recommend https://lookastic.com/men to get some color/fabric combination ideas. They'll dump dozens of photos suggestions based on the piece you select. For example: outfit ideas for brown chelsea boots, or black jeans, or navy peacoat. Site is a godsend.

...and yes i realize i'm wearing a black hoodie in my avi giving fashion advice.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Bonheur by Bortnikoff

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    With jeans and khaki, brown is fine. As others were saying, having also a black pair would give more flexibility. But if you had to decide between black boots and black dress shoes, I'd go with black dress shoes.
    cacio

Personally, I've always found black boots/shoes a bit jarring visually when paired with brown or khaki trousers, as the contrast is quite stark. I prefer a dark brown shoe/boot in those situations.

Black boots can and do work fine with other colors, though. I've worn them with clothes in the black, grey, blue, and red families, and I think they work well there.

Cool Re: Black boots - necessary, dispensable or something in between

I have several boots, but they're all brown. The only black shoes I own are dress shoes for when I suit up. It's the only time I wear black. Otherwise, it's brown dress shoes, boots, casuals every other time.

I have black dress boots (dressy chukka boots) and have my eye on some black Chelsea boots.

They're not *necessary,* but there's a nice formality to black leather shoes that can help give a more urban, fashion-forward edge to an outfit.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather