Code of Conduct

Default Persil Bio Liquid Laundry Detergent (Green bottle) Reformulation

I've long been a fan of Persil's Biological Liquid Detergent (green bottle) that's sold here in the UK.
    It's scent was crisp, dry and with an overdose of C12 MNA aldehyde strongly recalled frankincense.
    Sadly, I discovered this evening that it has been reformulated.
    It now smells much more of Lily of the Valley odorants with fruity accents.
    For what it's worth, I sent Unilever a message, but realistically the old fragrance wont make a comeback.
    Shame.

Default Re: Persil Bio Liquid Laundry Detergent (Green bottle) Reformulation

Quick! Stock up on vintage now then flip it on eBay when everyone else catches on that new one is a hollowed out shell of its former glory...

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Quick! Stock up on vintage now then flip it on eBay when everyone else catches on that new one is a hollowed out shell of its former glory...
    I've got 50+ year old Mitsouko soap. If I can find more of the vintage Persil stuff I'm hoarding it for myself!

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I've got 50+ year old Mitsouko soap. If I can find more of the vintage Persil stuff I'm hoarding it for myself!
    Share a pic and if I find some on my travels I'll ping you a link. I can't quite believe the surrealism of this thread but hey, a formula is a formula!

Basenotes Plus

I miss the smell of Fairy Non-Bio (blue bottle) for my laundry. Nothing comes close to that smell here in the States.
    Currently wearing: Tocade by Rochas

Basenotes Plus

This makes me miss David Ruskin.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I've long been a fan of Persil's Biological Liquid Detergent (green bottle) that's sold here in the UK.
    It's scent was crisp, dry and with an overdose of C12 MNA aldehyde strongly recalled frankincense.
    Sadly, I discovered this evening that it has been reformulated.
    It now smells much more of Lily of the Valley odorants with fruity accents.
    For what it's worth, I sent Unilever a message, but realistically the old fragrance wont make a comeback.
    Shame.
    The original will be a $400 Unilevercorn before you know it.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

I miss the old aroma of Irish Spring bar soap.

NOT!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here know what fragrance(s) were/are in Irish Spring soap? I'm guessing that is was Hammers-to-the-Brain-dehyde.

I must say that I would feel your frustration if my favorite laundry detergent were suddenly reformulated.

In the past, I always just grabbed a bottle of whatever random bottle that interested me that day. Then I discovered Arm & Hammer "Fresh Scent" laundry detergent with Oxy Clean in it and I loved the scent so much that I have only bought it since then. The stuff smells amazing, gets my laundry as clean as anything else I have tried, and isn't really that expensive. A win-win-win IMO.

Here in the USA, Tide brand seems to be the dominating detergent, but I have some sort of allergen to it or something...it makes me itch, so I never buy it.

Welp, it's the next day and smelling my dried laundry, I've realised the reformulation is even worse than I initially thought. Completely different scent with added woody notes I didn't notice yesterday. I hate to be wasteful but I think I'll be binning the rest of the bottle as I really can't abide it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Share a pic and if I find some on my travels I'll ping you a link. I can't quite believe the surrealism of this thread but hey, a formula is a formula!
    Ha! Kind of you to offer but for practicality's sake I think I just have to accept the loss and move on. It's a weird world...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    I miss the smell of Fairy Non-Bio (blue bottle) for my laundry. Nothing comes close to that smell here in the States.
    Thanks for the tip. Will give it a sniff I come across it. I've never used Fairy brand laundry detergent (only their washing-up detergent).

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    This makes me miss David Ruskin.
    David was certainly an asset. I suspect he still (silently) haunts these parts...

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    The original will be a $400 Unilevercorn before you know it.
    *groan*

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    ...Then I discovered Arm & Hammer "Fresh Scent" laundry detergent with Oxy Clean in it and I loved the scent so much that I have only bought it since then. The stuff smells amazing, gets my laundry as clean as anything else I have tried, and isn't really that expensive. A win-win-win IMO....
    Long may it continue unchanged!

Basenotes Plus

Persil's Biological Liquid Detergent (green bottle) that's sold here in the UK.
    What does the word "biological" mean in the context of this soap's name?

We don't seem to use that word in describing soaps in the U.S. We have Persil here, but no version of it has that word in its title.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    What does the word "biological" mean in the context of this soap's name?

We don't seem to use that word in describing soaps in the U.S. We have Persil here, but no version of it has that word in its title.
    From the Persil website:
    Biological detergents contain enzymes that help break down the fatty, greasy, and starchy compounds that are found in some of the most common clothing stains such as pasta sauces, bike oil, and hamburger grease. These enzymes work to lift the stains out of fabrics, making them excellent stain removers and a very welcome addition to laundry detergents, turning stain removal into a quick and easy task.

Non-biological detergents do not contain these enzymes. However, good non-bio detergents will still contain great built-in cleaning power that will ensure your clothing comes out of the washing machine clean and fresh.

When washing with non-bio detergents, especially when tackling particularly tough stains, you may need to use a slightly higher temperature to allow the detergent to do its job properly, but for some families, non-bio detergents can be a great option, especially if someone in the family has sensitive skin.

Speaking as someone who used non-bio detergent while living in the UK, it was the best stuff for eczema and allergy prone skin. Our youngest son would break out in rashes when using a bio detergent. Our GP and eczema association said the Fairy non-bio was the most recommended. So, I got used to the Fairy non-bio smell on my skin. A know a lot of people really enjoyed the smell of it.
    Currently wearing: Tocade by Rochas

@Kitty2Shoes - thanks for explaining. I've tended to use biological detergents because of their supposed superior cleaning ability at lower temps but to be honest, my clothes don't get that dirty and modern washing machines are very effective.

I bought a new detergent today from a brand called Sensitive (never heard of it before) - it contains no perfume etc. I'll give it a whirl.

Part of a fragrance's job in a functional product is to cover the odour of the actual active parts (which can often smell quite off). If that's the case with Sensitive, I may try adding some fragrance myself.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

*groan*

Come for the perfume, stay for the puns.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

I've never recovered from the pain of discovering that Persil had changed the fragrance of their non-bio washing powder (the non-compact kind, when that was the only density of powder available; none of this extra-strength, you only need a spoonful). Nothing has ever been as good/ordinary.
    I never used the Persil bio liquid - gutted if it did smell of frankincense - what have I been missing all these years ?
    ..... I have caught up with the times and use the non-bio liquid !
    Deep Winter : cold and clean : Etro Heliotrope, CdG Zagorsk, Dior Fahrenheit; cold and dark : Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo, Lalique Encre Noire; incense etc : Penhaligon's Elixir, Etro Ambra, CdG Avignon, Unum Io Non Ho Mani; brisk : Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme.

I cannot stand the smell of laundry washing liquid, 99% of it is just vile. Never liked Peril much but do know the one you mean OP, I always used colour liquid wash anyway. I use Ariel as it is the lest offensive to me. As for conditioner, I used Sensitive one Sainsbury own brand if I have to which is only my merino wool jumpers.
    DONNA