Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default which labels and odors of functional products studied?

when I go to the supermarkets or the cosmetics / cleaning shops, I smell the good shower gel (with curious taste,ex orris/apple, almond/argan, patchouly/ylang/lavender, Palmolive and others) , the good creams (perfumed for body and/or hands, Nivea and others) and the fragrances for the air/home (Lampe Berger fragrances,and others), and i read labels.
    Because, there are very good aromas. I think they have improved, more similar to perfumes, the biggest difference remains the percentage of fragrance, lower in cosmetic products.
    And you?

Default Re: which labels and odors of functional products studied?

Quote Originally Posted by Geco View Post
    when I go to the supermarkets or the cosmetics / cleaning shops, I smell the good shower gel (with curious taste,ex orris/apple, almond/argan, patchouly/ylang/lavender, Palmolive and others) , the good creams (perfumed for body and/or hands, Nivea and others) and the fragrances for the air/home (Lampe Berger fragrances,and others), and i read labels.
    Because, there are very good aromas. I think they have improved, more similar to perfumes, the biggest difference remains the percentage of fragrance, lower in cosmetic products.
    And you?
    There are fantastic liquid hand soaps on the market.
    Linear, fruity with powerful "popping," top notes...likely captives.
    Or they COULD be common materials, yet EXTREMELY powerful materials
    that are beyond my current understanding.

These commercial mellon and grapefruit accords have my respect.
    No doubt chemists and perfumers have been turning out some super fresh, juicy materials.

Palm Olive?
    I can`t believe people used to like it.
    Long, dark Vancouver winters

Quote Originally Posted by Geco View Post
    And you?
    Geko, I agree.
    As of late, there`s been nice wood-centric shower gels.
    I think the oud-boom and bearded lumberjack hipsters have something to do with it.

Some small time, local crafted cedar-wood type shaving gels can be found around Vancouver.
    Probably from here to Portland, no doubt.
    Long, dark Vancouver winters

Yes! things have improved. The dish soaps, the laundry soaps, the shower gels. I was always impressed with Old spice and how it kind of rebranded itself, from something we remembered Grampa overwhelming the living room with every day, into something we actually liked and started buying for the boys. And Gain is a great smell but it seems they took something very 'important' out a few years ago. Clorox dish detergent Hawiian scent... Wow.

Blog Entries

Yes, even the new erbolario products are better compared to the previous products...
    Anyway I notice that there is a "sauvage/ization" of functional products that tend to imitate that perfume..., especially if you go into an acqua e sapone shop, you will notice that a lot of new shampos and creams have a "sauvage" vibe.... Maybe because the sauvage accord is very popular now.....

Me? I love functional fragrance. I do not wear perfume much, but I *do* wash my hair several times a week. So I have a bulk supply of fragrance free shampoo and I make little 10ml samples of shampoo using essential oils and aroma chemicals from my own collection. Currently I am enjoying one focused on Japanese Yuzu and Orange blossom, backed up by dihydromyrcenol and a bunch of musks, with a bit of C12 MNA for sparkle. It's really fun to wash your hair and get the smell in the shower for a few seconds. By making small samples I get to try lots of different combinations and learn a lot about how things go together in a functional product. It's also practical because you need to wash your hair anyway.

You can also do this with hand cream, liquid soaps as well as dish detergent. It's not difficult to obtain odourless bulk quantities of all these bases. It's fun to smell commercial versions in the shops, then go home and try to make something similar for your own use.

Basenotes Junkie

thank you all. Soap, also, are an interesting world. Also, the fragrances of article for home like Yankee Candles and similar, Lampe Berger (many of this brand are good, for my taste) and similar, have some very interesting fragrances for study/inspiration... (ps:Colgate-Palmolive are a notorious brand, nothing of excellent,but have some bath foam/gel with a good scent, like many others brand..)
    One among many, only for example (I do not want to do commercial advertising) ,with an "intimate" scent (vanilla based) ,a body skin cream product of Leocrema brand :

http://leocrema.net/it/creme-fluide/setificante

But there are many others sweet/citrusy (now,pomegranate, yuzu and pomelo are fashionable) , woody/ambery,etc.etc.
    Last edited by Geco; 20th January 2019 at 02:07 AM.

I like Rituals. They offer perfumes which I consider mediocre, therefore some of their shower and wellness products are irresistible to me. Unfortunately, they replace their product lines frequently.

I've made my own versions of a couple Aesop products, I love their simple accords with essential oils. The geranium shower gel and Reverence (vetiver, petitgrain) hand scrub are my faves. Considering they charge >$40 for larger sizes, it certainly is much more cost effective to make your own. Their cleanser bases are very standard (SLS based) so they are seriously laughing all the way to the bank.

palmolive dish soap is where its at- have you smelled their 'essential lemon'? i mixed it with a bit of the 'soft touch' one and it smells amazing! only thing is i hate using it for dishes i use for eating. would prefer a natural soap or unscented detergent.

what is a sauvauge accord ?