Code of Conduct

Default Dating a Guerlain Parapluie

Hey everybody want to get some help/opinions on giving an approximate date to this Shalimar Parapluie I recently acquired. Here are two pics with it alongside a Mitsouko Parapluie that is dated 1967-1976 from the Guerlain sticker on the bottom of the box it came in. The Shalimar did not have the paper zig zag box when I purchased it, instead it came in a purple Marly Horse box.

You’ll notice differences in the bottles and the caps. Longer neck on the Mitsouko above the threads, sharper shoulders on Mitsouko, thicker glass on Shalimar, thicker collar on Shalimar under threading. Cap on Mitsouko is taller and the silhouette of it has two distinct angles in it up to the top, whereas the Shalimar cap is shorter and is a continuous sloping shape opening up to the top of the cap. I’m assuming the Shalimar is older since the Mitsouko is from the end of Guerlains usage of this bottle shape. Thanks in advance for your help!

E01683F4-F60C-482D-8F5A-E598FF46D761.jpg7FD27185-D98E-4B5F-883F-7F9973E3A2B9.jpgE6345E2A-B09C-41C1-B96E-4D6C2D5150EB.jpgCB954ECE-0A76-4B30-AEE3-73C2167AEF75.jpg

Default Re: Dating a Guerlain Parapluie

These bottles were produced by various factories so I don't think minor variations in form are significant.

From the colour of the box, I'd guess the Shalimar is from the 1970s too. Is there a batch code on the underside of the round ticket? That way we could check for sure.

I bet it smells good though!

From my research Guerlain didn’t use batch codes until 1976 so we don’t have the advantage of those here. The paper disc on Shalimar is actually taped to the bottle, whereas the disc on Mitsouko is two sided and is on taped onto the gold thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wildrnesxperienc View Post
    From my research Guerlain didn’t use batch codes until 1976 so we don’t have the advantage of those here. The paper disc on Shalimar is actually taped to the bottle, whereas the disc on Mitsouko is two sided and is on taped onto the gold thread.
    Codes that help with dating were around for decades before that.

There's normally a batchcode on the underside of the paper discs, but if there's nothing there too bad.

Not according to Raiders of the lost Scent. There are other ways to date before batch codes like stickers, boxes, etc. but they say batch codes didn’t come into play with Guerlain until 1976.

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...fumes.html?m=1

Quote Originally Posted by wildrnesxperienc View Post
    Not according to Raiders of the lost Scent. There are other ways to date before batch codes like stickers, boxes, etc. but they say batch codes didn’t come into play with Guerlain until 1976.

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...fumes.html?m=1
    I know. I said 'codes that help with dating', not 'batch codes'. The umbrella bottle in fact carried on until the end of 1970s, according to the Atlas/Monniot bible, and I've seen plenty with batch codes on the labels, so they do exist. I actually have at least one example somewhere in my stash.

The information I've given you here and on the other thread is offered in a spirit of help.

Always be smelling

OP, saminlondon is the Basenote's resident Guerlain expert.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Escada Homme by Escada

Sorry, I haven’t seen saminlondon around so didn’t know. Thanks, and thanks saminlondon for your help.

Simply check the backside of the round label, you will find the batch code there.

Quote Originally Posted by Akragas View Post
    Simply check the backside of the round label, you will find the batch code there.
    I have two Parapluie bottles of Guerlain scents and neither has the batch code there. It seems the batch code was only there towards the very end of the Parapluie bottles existence. In fact the Shalimar Parapluie I have the round disc sticker is actually stuck to the bottle. I believe it is the younger of the two I have.

This is exactly the kind of thread that piques my interest. My hands are breaking out into a sweat as I’m typing this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    OP, saminlondon is the Basenote's resident Guerlain expert.
    saminlondon, I am putting you on my radar for future reference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am losing my mind at the thought of a L’HB parapluie.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

I NEED TO BREATHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)