Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dependent

Default " I like fragrances, I just don't want to have to smell them on other people."

This was a recent quote from my brother-in-law. Which to me translates to "I really don't like fragrances at all."

Or to be more charitable, "I only like fragrances when I'm close enough to someone to have sex with them." Meaning my sister who's into perfume.

One does wonder if perfume houses realize that more and more people tend to find perfume on others to be "intrusive" and that this may be one of the reasons that many reformulations seem to have resulted in versions which are much weaker that the original releases.

Not so much that they want to save money on ingredients, but more that they feel that this is what the public desires.

Default Re: " I like fragrances, I just don't want to have to smell them on other people."

I guess this touches on the fundamental question of why people wear fragrances in the first place: is it mostly or completely for the wearer themself, for their own personal enjoyment, or to 'make a statement' to others around them? Or both?

Default Re: " I like fragrances, I just don't want to have to smell them on other people."

I can totally identify with this. If I want to smell someone I prefer to lean in close for a sniff. I don’t appreciate having my personal bubble infiltrated by another’s worn scent no matter how great the wearer thinks it is. It borders on boorish behaviour. I don’t mind catching the occasional nuanced whiff but full-on beastly bro mode is a big social faux pas IMO.

I kinda get what he's saying. I hate it when people are wearing perfume with heavy sillage and projection. It grosses me out. I don't think I've ever complimented anyone. I'm actually always self-conscious when I think I'm wearing something that's a bit heavy. I like it for me, but I don't need or want everyone else to smell it.
    Currently wearing: Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Some individuals just go way overboard with their scent and that is a real turn off for others, so I can appreciate what he means.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

It could have been a passive aggressive way for him to say that he didn't like your fragrances. Do you tend to wear bold things around the family?

Like others, I can see his point of not wanting his space invaded. Some people just don't like fragrances, for many reasons. I personally try to be considerate of what environment I suspect I may be in throughout the day and wear accordingly, with type of and amount of fragrance applied.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Some individuals just go way overboard with their scent and that is a real turn off for others, so I can appreciate what he means.
    Same. I come across individuals every now and then who choose to over apply and it could be really bad. It's like walking close to a fragrance counter at a department store sometimes that's trying to sell a very mainstream fragrance.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I like smelling fragrances on other people.
    I just usually don't agree with their choices.

Always be smelling

I like smelling fragrances on others. I like to guess what they are wearing and, if opportunity presents, ask them if they are wearing XYZ.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    One does wonder if perfume houses realize that more and more people tend to find perfume on others to be "intrusive" and that this may be one of the reasons that many reformulations seem to have resulted in versions which are much weaker that the original releases.

Not so much that they want to save money on ingredients, but more that they feel that this is what the public desires.
    Sure, because corporations have always been known to put the welfare and sensitivities of the public ahead of any desire to make a profit.

I like smelling fragrances on others, as long as it’s not overly loud and obnoxious. A nice little waft is always a pleasure.

Super Member notspendingamillion's Avatar

Loud or quiet, challenging or not, I've never been offended by a fragrance. Im just not that tender.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Loud or quiet, challenging or not, I've never been offended by a fragrance. Im just not that tender.
    +1

And given the option to smell an overly intrusive fragrance or an overly intrusive B.O... I would rather the fragrance... I am tender to B.O... Hahhaa!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDawg View Post
    +1

And given the option to smell an overly intrusive fragrance or an overly intrusive B.O... I would rather the fragrance... I am tender to B.O... Hahhaa!
    "In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different." - Mademoiselle Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

A scent is neither "feminine" nor "masculine"; scent has no gender.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDawg View Post
    +1

Sadly, it is not always an either-or proposition.

I had a coworker once whose cologne was in a never-ending nuclear arms race with his B.O. I suspect that both grew to such intensity that he eventually imploded into an olfactory singularity, and was never seen (nor smelled) again.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I can totally identify with this. If I want to smell someone I prefer to lean in close for a sniff. I don’t appreciate having my personal bubble infiltrated by another’s worn scent no matter how great the wearer thinks it is. It borders on boorish behaviour. I don’t mind catching the occasional nuanced whiff but full-on beastly bro mode is a big social faux pas IMO.
    +1 - well said.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

If I smell your Sauvage or Joop from 20 feet behind you or across the train, it's time for the garden hose.
    oh look, I have a signature

It is rather off-putting when someone's over-aggressiveness forces me away from my own heavenly scent.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Rocabar by Hermès

In an enclosed space this might warrant a whooping of some kind, no knuckles, maybe an open hand or slipper would suffice. Outdoors though, scent depending, there could be a welcomed wake of olfactory pleasure waiting to be entered by some Bloodhound of a Basenoter.
    Its swings and roundabouts.
    CURRENT FAVOURITES
    Rogue Perfumery Mousse Illuminee
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Creed Aventus
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Ralph Lauren Polo (Vintage)
    Houbigant Fougere Royale
    Geo F Trumper Eucris EdP
    Nicolai New York Intense
    Hermes Bel Ami

Let's Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Sure, because corporations have always been known to put the welfare and sensitivities of the public ahead of any desire to make a profit.
    That's right, actually; for example, the federal government in Canada used tax money to pay $3.5 BN in 2009 to General Motors, so General Motors is now paying it back by closing its factory in Oshawa and moving jobs to Mexico.

I apply according to fragrance strength 2-5 sprays or if I’m in the mood to be loud hehe, I am considerant where I am and the occasion adjust sprays accordingly. I work in a large store so my fragrances are usually in my space and probably apparent to others I don’t fill the store though ha. I’ve never received complaints although my work rotation is usually clean upscale masculine fragrances so usually not a issue. I smell BO on others a lot cigarette smoke alcohol and as others stated fragrance is more appreciated than bad hygiene and your last cigarette or hang over lol.

Personally guessing that it may just be a lucky coincidence between the tastes of a majority among the fragrance wearers and fragrance houses not wanting to go too far/to pricey/to experimental on beast mode notes and ingredients-in real life, quite few people actually wear fragrance regularly and a significant part the ones who do, most likely prefer something that blends in and projects less
    Currently wearing: Rich Leather by Zara

I don’t like other people
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. MFK Baccarat Rouge 540 /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Dior Homme Intense / D&G The One EDP
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Sleek Suede / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Black Phantom / Layton
    10. Code Ice / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Erba Pura
    12. Diadema / Prada L’Homme
    13. Habdan / Tuxedo
    14. Lira / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric Santa Eulalia / Oajan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Envy View Post
    I don’t like other people
    Grouchy Smurf is in da house!

I usually don't mind as most perfumes smell pleasant. Sometimes the typical Mugler scent can be a bit much if people apply a lot of it, esp in summer, but it's still much better than people smelling of cheap cigarettes or bo.

'Hell is other people'

Basenotes Junkie

I dont want to have to smell others 20 foot trail of Marlboro Red beast sillage or their discusting smoke floating into my airconditioner vents at the convenience store, or some a-holes rotten teeth, bacteria coated tounge breath that hasn't been cleaned in a week floating in a 5 foot radius around them either. It makes me nauseous and it is an overwhelmingly offensive assault to my system. But guess what, it's the real world. People are gonna do what their gonna do. I appreciate a good whiff of fragrance floating around, even it's been applied a bit to heavy. I'm in one of those moods this morning...

Basenotes Member Xenoarthropoda's Avatar

I do not think that the weakening of fragrances by companies has much to do with consideration for others at all.
    I suspect that it is just going the same way that everyday products and affordable clothing is going. So many products that are made nowadays are not built to last. The clothing seems to be almost disposable and is unwearable after only a few washes. Thin and filled with easily damaged elastics, one is forced to either switch to vintage clothing, or keep buying the same things over and over. If you can keep it for a long time, what reason do you have to buy more sooner?

How often will someone buy a perfume that doesn't turn quickly and lasts for more than a day with just a dab or a spray?

I am one of those that probably underapplies my scents because I am self-conscious about it. Sometimes I am in the mood to project some fragrance, but it would probably hurt me the most if I apply too much. For work, I have to be able to survive the 40 minute drive with the fragrance of my choice. lol

Having suffered some ill effects from other people's overapplication while outdoors, in the open air. I can not understand how they are still standing after having that much on for more than a few minutes. The offender will be acting normally and looking well. Their constitution amazes me! Do they not taste it? Perhaps they enjoy the flavor. SMH
    Certain fragrances can bother me that much. I guess I am very tender to some fragrances.

I might be even more tender to a lack of hygiene, though. I love the smell of patchouli, but it doesn't hide the fact that one hasn't washed their rear end. I had such an encounter not too long ago when I smelled the horrible mix coming from someone. Not cool...

That being said, I like smelling gentle wafts of fragrance from others, or their fragrance in their space in the rare times that I must be that close. Even if I don't like the particular fragrance, it is nice to know that they are wearing one.
    Currently wearing: Snow Flower by Victorinox

I don't mind smelling fragrances on others, but I hate it when they have clearly not bathed and doused themselves in 15-20 sprays of something! There is an employee who stocks at this grocery store I go to who is always rocking a Calvin Klein fragrance. Every time he passes by, you can smell a mix of B.O. and CK. Why don't people bathe regularly and/or wear deodorant?! It's easy!

There have been a handful of viral tweets lately around this same subject. The one that comes to mind is some celebrity said "Cologne should be illegal". And many, many people in the replies tended to agree. I think this is attributable to the "look at me, bro" culture that feels like 10 sprays of Dior Sauvage is a great call for an office job.

I personally don't mind smelling fragrances around, although me smelling over the top screechy stuff on other men isn't my favorite thing, nor is the hyper feminine, powdery florals that dominate some popular women's perfumes. A couple of sprays of just about anything though, is OK.

Generally, I'm in the same camp as many people in this thread. People should wear what they want, ideally in moderation, but I'd rather smell Bro Cologne du jour than BO or halitosis.