Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: " I like fragrances, I just don't want to have to smell them on other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoarthropoda View Post
    I love the smell of patchouli, but it doesn't hide the fact that one hasn't washed their rear end.
    Is there really any difference?

(Just kidding --- I LOVE patchouli, when it is not applied too heavily or at too high a dilution.)

Default Re: " I like fragrances, I just don't want to have to smell them on other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post

One does wonder if perfume houses realize that more and more people tend to find perfume on others to be "intrusive" and that this may be one of the reasons that many reformulations seem to have resulted in versions which are much weaker that the original releases.
    This strikes me---particularly the intrusive word choice---as so damn spirit of the times...

Everything's a cause for offense. Everyone's world is always collapsing because someone said this or that or is wearing too much cologne... Everything's intrusive and invading my space and actually I'm very offended by that and it never ends...
    "...the most expensive fragrances are those you hardly use."
    Diamondflame

I can appreciate a nice scent being used and especially for the appropriate occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post
    I don't mind smelling fragrances on others, but I hate it when they have clearly not bathed and doused themselves in 15-20 sprays of something!
    Agree with this.

Basenotes Member Xenoarthropoda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by akguy View Post
    Is there really any difference?

(Just kidding --- I LOVE patchouli, when it is not applied too heavily or at too high a dilution.)

How rude! That hurt my feelings and I need my safe space.

For me, this is what makes a discussion interesting. We all have different feelings and opinions.
    Some of us smell patchouli and dislike it intensely.

I would not want to miss out on knowing someone's honest opinion just because someone somewhere might take it personally. The fact that some of us can like a scent that another will find disgusting makes perfume all the more fascinating to me.

Sure, I suffer from a sensitivity to some of those "freshie" fragrances, and have to plan my very quick trips through the laundry and home freshener aisles of supermarkets. But if I were worried that much about smells intruding on my space, I would not leave the places where I have no control over that. I still have to go to work and shop for things, and I still like the people,(coworkers and friends)who wear those "freshies".
    Currently wearing: Snow Flower by Victorinox

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoarthropoda View Post

Some of us smell patchouli and dislike it intensely.
    I'm usually puzzled by people's responses to patchouli, as when they say "I really like patchouli", or alternately "I really do NOT like patchoulli", I can't help but wonder "at what concentration, and how and when applied or evaluated"?

To me, patchouli is a very Jekyll-and-Hyde fragrance. Straight out of the bottle, or at stronger dilutions, I find it intense, dank, musty, earthy, funky and even quite offensive --- the Incredible Hulk of the essential oils. But at lower dilutions, and particularly well into the drydown, it can be quite elegant, multifaceted and even sublime. It makes me wonder if most of the people (but not most Basenoters, who I would think would know better) who say that they hate patchouli have just never properly evaluated or experienced it. I have found that patchouli needs to be not just well diluted, but exposed to the air for quite some time, to fully develop its aromatic potential.

Would it be a valid analysis for a person to say "I hate pepper" simply because they once ate a spoonful of it, by itself, and choked?

Basenotes Member Xenoarthropoda's Avatar

Probably a discussion for another thread, but I truly believe that we can experience the same things in very different ways. For instance, some folks just can not smell some things, at all.
    I appreciate some patchouli EO right out of the bottle, not that they are all created equal or anything. This would not be an unconditional thing. For instance: Would I like it when I have a hangover and an empty stomach?

I tried a fragrance that has "clearwood" in it. Holy-wood by Nomenclature. Nope... Not a like. It started making me sick with just one sample spray. It was OK at first but then it got worse and worse. Some of the molecules that are supposed to be cleaner can be terribly harsh to me. It was like taking a part of something that I liked and concentrating it 20x or more, but the part that was concentrated is the part I wouldn't have appreciated. Turned into a monster... And then it was hard to wash off. I have this problem with many of the scents that bother me. They can be the most persistent to me as well. Some of these things prevent me from easily detecting the rest of the parts in a fragrance.

Things like that cause me to categorize fragrances in a way that probably makes no sense to others. For instance, the similarity of Sauvage EDP by Dior to Dahlia Noir by Givenchy. I can not help but smell Sauvage in Dahlia Noir. I have that issue with Coolwater for men by Davidoff and Crystal Noir EDT by Versace. Just a different note or molecule in these 2 pairs, the latter pair being most bothersome(I have a narrow threshold for that fresh note), but those stick out like a sore thumb to me.

Still, all are good fragrances to somebody! I like the Sauvage EDP on my husband. I just don't like when my husband sprays it (even once) in our small bedroom and it wakes me up right out of a deep sleep. That'll wake ya up in the mornin'! He admits that it is not the easiest fragrance to wear anyway, but the sillage does smell nice to me. haha
    Currently wearing: Snow Flower by Victorinox

Would it be a valid analysis for a person to say "I hate pepper" simply because they once ate a spoonful of it, by itself, and choked?
    It really depends on how severe the experience was and thus the severity of the imprint made. Would it be less valid to smell a perfume once on a beautiful woman and say “My God I love that scent!” ?
    CURRENT FAVOURITES
    Rogue Perfumery Mousse Illuminee
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Creed Aventus
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Ralph Lauren Polo (Vintage)
    Houbigant Fougere Royale
    Geo F Trumper Eucris EdP
    Nicolai New York Intense
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Currently wearing: 1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

What this boils down to is the modern trend towards sanctifying one's own personal space to the extreme of wanting to control all things entering it. The "boy in a bubble" tendency stems from a generation of people raised in physical isolation through the use of technology/the web, producing a desire to maintain that cocoon-like privacy and control over stimuli in the real world. The more "connected" we are, the more "isolated" and thus intolerant we become of each other, making any sight, sound, or wafting smell we encounter unsolicited an unwelcome challenge we don't have the emotional depth to process, and therefore an attack.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

Blog Entries

A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.
    Currently wearing: Musc Intense by Nicolaï

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post
    This strikes me---particularly the intrusive word choice---as so damn spirit of the times...

Everything's a cause for offense. Everyone's world is always collapsing because someone said this or that or is wearing too much cologne... Everything's intrusive and invading my space and actually I'm very offended by that and it never ends...
    Agree.
    Certain things about society ARE becoming more intrusive (your smart phone is a prime offender) -- but what are we really complaining about?
    In most respects we're LESS intruded upon because more of us can afford to live alone (or at least in our own homes with at most a few family members) than ever.
    We're wealthier, healthier, happier, living longer, have more and better options for food, drink, shopping, and aren't in any danger of being drafted to go fight in some horrible War somewhere. Crime has gone down a lot over the past 3 decades, too. So with everything going so well in most respects, what do we do?

Find New And Improved things to complain about, of course!
    With less REAL problems, NEW problems must be manufactured!
    Entirely new offenses must be created!

Or else...we'd just be bored, I guess?
    I guess one could argue that with a lot of "real" (life or death poverty or wealth) problems knocked out of the way for most people, we're left with...
    "White People Problems"

All of that being said, the OP kind of begs the question: "How much projection is considered polite?"

None = What's The Point?
    Beastly = Boorish

Somewhere In Between is....?
    This is my Opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    Currently wearing: Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Let's Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    What this boils down to is the modern trend towards sanctifying one's own personal space to the extreme of wanting to control all things entering it. The "boy in a bubble" tendency stems from a generation of people raised in physical isolation through the use of technology/the web, producing a desire to maintain that cocoon-like privacy and control over stimuli in the real world. The more "connected" we are, the more "isolated" and thus intolerant we become of each other, making any sight, sound, or wafting smell we encounter unsolicited an unwelcome challenge we don't have the emotional depth to process, and therefore an attack.
    Totally.

I think this relates to why Texting has become more popular than Calling for many people -- even though Calling is basically free for most of us now. Texting actually communicates less in more time than Calling does, and it feels less emotionally fulfilling, too.

But it's also quieter, less intrusive, and more private (you can surreptitiously text in a class or a meeting where you wouldn't be allowed to make a phone call). Ideally, texts would mostly set up the time for the next call, but they often completely substitute for it, which a real pity if you ask me.

Btw, I also believe this is one of the reasons the movie "Avatar" was such a monster worldwide hit. Sure, it had incredible special effects and all that stuff. But if you look at the Theme of the movie it's all about how Technology promises to connect us, but can actually disconnect us in more ways than it connects us. (In fact, the protagonist is literally separated from his own body with metal legs, and from his own tribe/family too, if I recall correctly).

In contrast, the Natives of Pandora may live low-tech lives, but they're Highly-Connected to each other, and their natural world.
    So when the Protagonist becomes a Traitor/Savior in order to Reconnect, his successful reconnection Resonates with the audience's own need.

Wow, I think you have really hit the nail on the head, ZS!

Those are very insightful thoughts, and sobering to ponder.

I love getting wafts from other people, they make me feel ok about possibly wafting back. It's fun to match perfume to the person wearing it, too - many choices are entirely predictable, a person of a certain age/gender/occupation going for a certain kind of perfume. The surprises are a bonus.

HOWEVER, i once had the misfortune of sitting through an entire Marianne Faithfull concert next to someone who was wearing a sweater which had been, well..., sweated into for what seemed like years and then had been doused in some strong patchouli juice. I lasted the evening, but kept feeling I was going to pass out.

Another time at a supermarket checkout I was behind someone who was wearing so much of something oud-y that it seemed like he'd emptied the entire bottle. It was singeing my nostrils; I wondered how he could function in such a overwhelming cloud.

Extreme events - fortunately rare.
    At worst, one is in motion; and at best,
    Reaching no absolute, in which to rest,
    One is always nearer by not keeping still.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calitrav View Post
    Totally.

I think this relates to why Texting has become more popular than Calling for many people -- even though Calling is basically free for most of us now. Texting actually communicates less in more time than Calling does, and it feels less emotionally fulfilling, too.

But it's also quieter, less intrusive, and more private (you can surreptitiously text in a class or a meeting where you wouldn't be allowed to make a phone call). Ideally, texts would mostly set up the time for the next call, but they often completely substitute for it, which a real pity if you ask me.

Btw, I also believe this is one of the reasons the movie "Avatar" was such a monster worldwide hit. Sure, it had incredible special effects and all that stuff. But if you look at the Theme of the movie it's all about how Technology promises to connect us, but can actually disconnect us in more ways than it connects us. (In fact, the protagonist is literally separated from his own body with metal legs, and from his own tribe/family too, if I recall correctly).

In contrast, the Natives of Pandora may live low-tech lives, but they're Highly-Connected to each other, and their natural world.
    So when the Protagonist becomes a Traitor/Savior in order to Reconnect, his successful reconnection Resonates with the audience's own need.
    I'm still waiting on the rest of that trilogy. Beginning to wonder if it's "vaporware" to borrow a gaming term.

Wow, I think you have really hit the nail on the head, ZS!

Those are very insightful thoughts, and sobering to ponder.
    I actually have an awkward time with hammers, but thank you.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

I'm still waiting on the rest of that trilogy. Beginning to wonder if it's "vaporware" to borrow a gaming term.
    Just checked IMDB, and it's coming out next year (supposedly, I don't keep close track of these things):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630029/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

More deets at this link, but you probably can't see 'em unless you're pay Amazon $20/month for the privilege of seeing the "Pro" version of the site (which anyone with $20 can do, fwiw):

https://pro.imdb.com/title/tt1630029...=avatar%202%20

There are so many smells that people are inflicting on me everyday that I don’t care for....(Body odor, bad breath, unwashed clothing, cigarette smoke, weed, on and on)....not to mention just weird or bad smells from the rest of the environment or outdoors that shove themselves in my nose all day....so to that end, I’m never worried or concerned about wearing a certain fragrance or even too much of one and what others think of it. As I’ve learned over time to not be sensitive or concerned about the smells coming from others, or for that matter appearances and the way many don’t even take basic care or time to look halfway presentable in public more and more, so I would expect most people not to have too much of a problem with peoples fragrance choices.

I do think tight office space situations with crazy overspraying, is a whole different ballgame.