Code of Conduct
Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

Congrats on your coming family addition, Manny! Jasmine Antique sounds great; I love the smell of jasmine blossoms scenting the evening air. Your description of Ishtar makes it a must-try for me. Hoping it’s frankincense-forward.

Just wore some Fougere l'Aube today. It's always good.

Basenotes Plus

Holy mackerel, Manny. A brand-new start up business and now another baby? You are one brave man.

Really looking forward to the new scents!

Thanks for the update and a preemptive congrats on your new addition! I have some sampling to do, and bottles still acquire. Your work is truly a gift to fragrance fans.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Just popping in to say "Hi!"
    I very rarely visit this thread because I want folks to be able to discuss things freely without my presence. As N.CAL mentioned above, I will be sending him some samples to add to the pass. We've been crazy busy so I've had to narrow down a lot of my projects. At the moment it's just my wife and I running the business with a looming 2 year old LOL! To add to the distraction we have another baby due next month :-)
    Thanks for popping in and updating everyone. I hope to distribute the samples so we can continue the momentum of this sample pass!
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Sound Scents

duplicate
    Last edited by drseid; 20th March 2020 at 11:04 AM. Reason: duplicate post
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Sound Scents

Still waiting on the blind buy bottle of Jasmin Antique that I expect to love, but my sample of Ishtar arrived yesterday and I just started wearing it an hour ago...

My initial imression early-on is this is not my kind of composition, as it is sweet and fresh before anything else, with what appears to be a heafty dose of benzoin in the base that immediately rises to the top. The incense really is not coming off as I exepected, instead presenting similarly to earthy, dry tobacco powder on skin with the benzoin sweetening it, but not really combining with it, almost with the two independant of the other, side-by-side. The only note really coupling with the benzoin is what I believe to be juniper, giving the sweetness a slightly awkward bent.

I should point out that as this is alergy season, my nose doesn't play ball like I would like it to all the time, so things may be different than I believe them to be right now, but as things stand, I would say it smells good enough and might appeal to a different (more modern) perfume audience, but nothing I would want in my collection and not really the kind of incense perfume I expected.

Edit: Now about 4 hours in the composition is still relatively sweet, but less-so as the still relatively fresh smelling incense now seems well-integrated with the benzoin while taking on a near-powdery makeup-like facet.
    Last edited by drseid; 21st March 2020 at 10:34 AM.
    Current Top Ten:

6)

Basenotes Plus

Thank you drseid for sharing your experience. Benzoin gets tricky under the warm & humid conditions here. It’s the primary reason I stopped wearing MFK CPLS.

I own Derviche, Mousse Illuminee, and Chypre Siam plus I'm currently waiting for Champs Lunaires to come.

Very, very curious about Ishtar and Flos Mortis. I'm not part of this sample pass but will look through this thread for some impressions.
    Favorite Houses:
    Hermès
    Rogue Perfumery
    Zoologist
    Amouage
    Frederic Malle
    Serge Lutens

Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Orientals (especially spicy, woody, and floral orientals)
    Boozy notes
    Chypres (especially with real oakmoss)
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances
    Great longevity and sillage

Last edited by pluran; 31st March 2020 at 08:44 AM.

I’m looking forward to samples of Ishtar and Jasmin Antique I’ve got coming soon.
    Kind of awed at Manny’s multi-tasking life abilities.
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Oud Palao by Diptyque

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Still waiting on the blind buy bottle of Jasmin Antique that I expect to love, but my sample of Ishtar arrived yesterday and I just started wearing it an hour ago...

My initial imression early-on is this is not my kind of composition, as it is sweet and fresh before anything else, with what appears to be a heafty dose of benzoin in the base that immediately rises to the top. The incense really is not coming off as I exepected, instead presenting similarly to earthy, dry tobacco powder on skin with the benzoin sweetening it, but not really combining with it, almost with the two independant of the other, side-by-side. The only note really coupling with the benzoin is what I believe to be juniper, giving the sweetness a slightly awkward bent.

I should point out that as this is alergy season, my nose doesn't play ball like I would like it to all the time, so things may be different than I believe them to be right now, but as things stand, I would say it smells good enough and might appeal to a different (more modern) perfume audience, but nothing I would want in my collection and not really the kind of incense perfume I expected.

Edit: Now about 4 hours in the composition is still relatively sweet, but less-so as the still relatively fresh smelling incense now seems well-integrated with the benzoin while taking on a near-powdery makeup-like facet.
    I'm reasonably certain your going to be happy with Jasmin Antique. I'm wearing my sample right now. It's very classy and just smells really nice. perfect scent for Spring. Has some nice sillage. I think you should apply on the light side. This one can fill the room - but what a nice room. Looking forward to your remarks when you receive.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I'm reasonably certain your going to be happy with Jasmin Antique. I'm wearing my sample right now. It's very classy and just smells really nice. perfect scent for Spring. Has some nice sillage. I think you should apply on the light side. This one can fill the room - but what a nice room. Looking forward to your remarks when you receive.
    Excellent early news; I really appreciate the feedback. I just got an email saying my bottle shipped out today, so by the end of the week I guess I will get a chance to sniff for myself. Looking forward to it.
    Current Top Ten:

6)

My decant of Fougere l'Aube arrived, but it does not seem as radiant when applied with a spray as it did with the dabber for the sample pass. Anyone else found a difference between applying various Rogues spray vs dabber ?
    from May Eve to Midsummer : with leathers, greens, fougeres, and a few florals. Guerlain Vetiver; Etro Gomma; Palais Jamais and Dianthus; Hermes Equipage Geranium; Aramis Tuscany; first wearing of the year for Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Caron Yatagan; Knize Ten, Sec, and Forest; Puig Quorum. Sampling : Aramis Devin; ELdO Eloge du Traitre, Fat Electrician
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Sound Scents

More to come, but Jasmin Antique arrived today, and it is absolutely stunning. It is at least early-on a deep, slightly indolic jasmine soliflore; one of superb quality. I am *very* happy with the blind buy.

As for wearability from a male perspective, it does lean white floral "feminine" and has excellent projection, but who cares? This is reference quality stuff that any jasmine lover will absolutely want to seek out. Breathtaking!
    Current Top Ten:

6)

Wearing Perfume Right Now

More to come, but Jasmin Antique arrived today, and it is absolutely stunning. It is at least early-on a deep, slightly indolic jasmine soliflore; one of superb quality. I am *very* happy with the blind buy.
    This does sound promising, like straight Mannyade.

As for wearability from a male perspective, it does lean white floral "feminine" and has excellent projection, but who cares? This is reference quality stuff that any jasmine lover will absolutely want to seek out. Breathtaking!
    That's great to hear, I think I may pick a bottle up myself sometime in the future as I do love jasmine.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Eau de Guerlain
    2. Dior Eau Sauvage Edt
    3. Chypre Siam By Rogue Perfumery
    4. Guerlain Habit Rouge L' Eau
    5. Eau de Rochas Edt By Rochas

Basenotes Plus

Sounds like it was made for me

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    That's great to hear, I think I may pick a bottle up myself sometime in the future as I do love jasmine.
    Mine is already on it's way

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Sounds like it was made for me

Mine is already on it's way
    I will be shocked if you and Jack don’t both love it. As time passes the composition only gets better. It is still a soliflore aIl the way, but subtle nuances of the jasmine gradually emerge as time passes, particularly captivating in the sillage. I haven’t sniffed something this good in quite a long time. I had high expectations going in, but they have been easily exceeded.
    Current Top Ten:

6)

Blog Entries

I will be shocked if you and Jack don’t both love it. As time passes the composition only gets better. It is still a soliflore aIl the way, but subtle nuances of the jasmine gradually emerge as time passes, particularly captivating in the sillage. I haven’t sniffed something this good in quite a long time. I had high expectations going in, but they have been easily exceeded.
    Wow, this sounds like one for me, too!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hope everyone who has received Jasmin Antique shares his/her thoughts on it. I still owe my own initial impressions.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I also will be buying Jasmin Antique and will be sure to share impressions!

I'm still waiting for my sample of Flos Mortis so I can make a verdict on it. It should arrive Tuesday. I hear it is challenging, but I do really love tuberose.
    Favorite Houses:
    Hermès
    Rogue Perfumery
    Zoologist
    Amouage
    Frederic Malle
    Serge Lutens

Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Orientals (especially spicy, woody, and floral orientals)
    Boozy notes
    Chypres (especially with real oakmoss)
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances
    Great longevity and sillage

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    I also will be buying Jasmin Antique and will be sure to share impressions!

I'm still waiting for my sample of Flos Mortis so I can make a verdict on it. It should arrive Tuesday. I hear it is challenging, but I do really love tuberose.
    I like Flos Mortis, but I am not much of a tuberose fan (or at least not for *me* to wear). If you love hardcore tuberose that pulls no punches, I think you will enjoy it.
    Current Top Ten:

6)

I just applied some of the Jasmin Antique just now and it instantly reminds me of the solid perfume Jasmine from Aftelier Perfumes, a very natural yet dated feel to it quite nice so far.

At last here are my initial impressions of both Jasmine Antique and Ishtar:

10/12 Jasmine Antique

The presence of the jasmine accord can be noticed immediately upon application. The jasmine has a fresh feel as if one was present in a garden house or a field full of jasmine flowers. It has a slight jammy feel in the early stages. After it settles a bit the jasmine begins to develop a somewhat animalic skanky feel to it. In addition there’s underlying tone of spices that helped to enhance to jasmine. Towards the end there’s a development of a sweet yet musky accord to round off the drydown.

I’m reminded of Mandy’s Aftelier solid perfume Jasmine. It smells quite similar to Aftelier but the biggest difference I notice is the stronger performance. I will say it’s not overpowering but one needs to be careful with application as the early stages can be quite strong. Eventually it will settle down to a calming and gentle scent with the jasmine always making itself present. Overall, A great reference for the jasmine note. One of the best jasmine scents that I’ve come across to date.

11/12 Ishtar

A very fresh and invigorating opening. To my nose the frankincense in the opening contains a bright citrus like feel. It is clean, airy, and inviting. The lily florals and junipers could be detected in the heart. The juniper doesn’t come off as medicinal like in some scents (An example Creed Baie de Genievre). With the juniper present, there’s a tad bit of a cinnamon like note with the faintest amount of incense present. The lily notes adds a layer of freshness. Eventually the scent transforms into something both more oriental and woodsy. The benzoin adds a sweetened vanilla like note while the myrrh and sandalwood contribute to the woodsy like base. My initial thought was that this would be something somewhat similar to another frankincense (Creed Angelique Encens) but it was not the case at all. It lacks the strong stuffy smokey incense that one may notice inside a church or cathedral. The performance starts off strong but recedes to something more moderate as time passes. Overall this is a nice addition to a great line of fragrances.

I will be working to sampling Flora & Fauna soon.

UPDATE 03/30/20:

I have received an update from Manny that the samples are now en route. Once they arrive I'll be able to distribute them to both groups. This extended sample pass package will include: Jasmine Antique, Ishtar, and Flora & Fauna.

Basenotes Plus

Mine just arrived !.

Anyone after an absolutely stunning mood-lifter should look no further !. Beautifully natural smelling jasmine soliflore (mildly indolic to this untrained nose) with a undeniably vintage feel. Best new release I've smelled for a long time

Sound Scents

Mine just arrived !.

Anyone after an absolutely stunning mood-lifter should look no further !. Beautifully natural smelling jasmine soliflore (mildly indolic to this untrained nose) with a undeniably vintage feel. Best new release I've smelled for a long time
    Congrats, Jon!
    Current Top Ten:

6)

Mine just arrived !.

Congrats Indeed. I'm going to pick up a bottle later on in the year.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Eau de Guerlain
    2. Dior Eau Sauvage Edt
    3. Chypre Siam By Rogue Perfumery
    4. Guerlain Habit Rouge L' Eau
    5. Eau de Rochas Edt By Rochas

Basenotes Plus

Congrats, Jon!
    I knew from your initial impressions that it would be a huge hit for me

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Congrats Indeed. I'm going to pick up a bottle later on in the year.
    I hope so - you won't be disappointed

Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast