Code of Conduct
Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1206

Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

Ishtar and Jasmin Antique are now available on Etsy.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    Ishtar and Jasmin Antique are now available on Etsy.
    They're also available on Sealed Essence and for individuals in Australia, New Zealand, and Asia: LKNU Parfumerie
    https://rogueperfumery.com/shop/
    https://www.sealedessence.com/brand/rogue-perfumery/
    https://lknu.com.au/collections/rogue-perfumery
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Anyone know when Tuberose & Moss and Flora & Fauna will be released for sale?
    Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Orientals (especially spicy, woody, and floral orientals)
    Boozy notes
    Chypres (especially with real oakmoss)
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances
    Great longevity and sillage

I've begun trying the new samples. First up: Flora & Fauna

The leather and possibly civet combine to lead with a soft gasoline note. That new leather petroleum smell. The civet is mentholated--almost urinous. A tart bergamot joins it. I begin to get a dense, pollenesque moss in about 20 minutes. I think there is some rose, but it’s hidden behind the menthol. Becomes softer, more manageable after half an hour. A little more fruit enters, but it's powdery. And very dry hints of incense. About two hours in I catch the vanilla and labdanum. I find it strange that amber is listed in the notes separately because amber usually is just another term for vanilla + labdanum. About four hours in I get powdery labdanum, a little sweet. Quite a transition from beginning to end. Overall, this didn't appeal much to my taste. Not very floral either.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Blackmusk by Mad et Len

Basenotes Plus

Hi all

Neil Chapman just published a great review of Tuberose and Moss and Jasmin Antique, going so far as to suggest that JA may be "the greatest jasmine soliflore of all time."

https://theblacknarcissus.com/2020/0...erfumery-2020/

Bravo Manny!
    Last edited by grayspoole; 22nd May 2020 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Added review link

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    I've begun trying the new samples. First up: Flora & Fauna

The leather and possibly civet combine to lead with a soft gasoline note. That new leather petroleum smell. The civet is mentholated--almost urinous. A tart bergamot joins it. I begin to get a dense, pollenesque moss in about 20 minutes. I think there is some rose, but it’s hidden behind the menthol. Becomes softer, more manageable after half an hour. A little more fruit enters, but it's powdery. And very dry hints of incense. About two hours in I catch the vanilla and labdanum. I find it strange that amber is listed in the notes separately because amber usually is just another term for vanilla + labdanum. About four hours in I get powdery labdanum, a little sweet. Quite a transition from beginning to end. Overall, this didn't appeal much to my taste. Not very floral either.
    Wow, I still want to at least try it when it is released, but based on your vivid, detailed description this sounds terrible. Yikes!
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Wow, I still want to at least try it when it is released, but based on your vivid, detailed description this sounds terrible. Yikes!
    Everyone’s nose is different...! I wouldn’t want to turn anyone away from this house, but I also have to be honest with my opinions. I claim no higher palate by any means, it’s just my personal reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

I’m not old: I’m vintage.

Everyone’s nose is different...! I wouldn’t want to turn anyone away from this house, but I also have to be honest with my opinions. I claim no higher palate by any means, it’s just my personal reaction.
    Rogue Perfumery fragrances have character and presence. That's what makes them special, and also what makes them at least potentially divisive. There may be reasons to make fragrances that won't offend anyone—there's certainly a market for them, at any rate—but that's not niche's raison d'être.
    Currently wearing: Carnation by Mary Chess

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hi all

Neil Chapman just published a great review of Tuberose and Moss and Jasmin Antique, going so far as to suggest that JA may be "the greatest jasmine soliflore of all time."

Bravo Manny!
    I loved all but 2 of the Rogue perfumes as experienced sitting beside them when Mr. S. wore them. I feel terrible that the one I disliked most was JA. What is wrong with my nose?

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hi all

Bravo Manny!
    As far as I’m concerned, there is no “may be” about it. :-)
    Current Top Ten:

6)

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by DrTricia View Post
    I loved all but 2 of the Rogue perfumes as experienced sitting beside them when Mr. S. wore them. I feel terrible that the one I disliked most was JA. What is wrong with my nose?
    You are hereby banished from the “Jasmine Lovers” fan club. ;-) All kidding aside, one of the really great things about this house is there seems to be *something* that clicks with just about everyone.
    Current Top Ten:

6)

Basenotes Plus

You are hereby banished from the “Jasmine Lovers” fan club. ;-) All kidding aside, one of the really great things about this house is there seems to be *something* that clicks with just about everyone.
    I definitely agree that this perfumer is very talented. Chypre Siam is insanely good. It’s just curious that the fragrance most everyone loved above the others was lost on me. Sigh. It seems I love jasmine only outside, growing along the walkway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Everyone has the right to agree or disagree. I tend to be on the opposite spectrum for this one but I think it's more so that this one is more for my personal taste.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I definitely agree that this perfumer is very talented. Chypre Siam is insanely good. It’s just curious that the fragrance most everyone loved above the others was lost on me. Sigh. It seems I love jasmine only outside, growing along the walkway.
    Chypre-Siam is one of the best hands down. I'm eager to trying Manny's perfume oil concentration of it later in the year.

Keep trying on the jasmine, I think you'll find yours at some point.

Basenotes Plus

Hi Dr. Tricia-

I think Jasmin Antique scratches a very specific itch—it’s a jasmine soliflore that captures the specific quality of the jasmine note that is usually found as an element in a more elaborate vintage composition. That is why the name is so perfect. If you have looked for the experience of THAT jasmine (because there are many different jasmines) and you want it served straight up, Jasmin Antique will do ya.

All of the opinions and preferences we exchange here are just topics for conversation, nothing more. Personally, I find perfume rankings and debates over “high quality ingredients” very tiresome. A much more important question to me is...I am wondering what variety of delicious jasmine you are smelling on your walks. Post a photo if you can manage it.

Between two pine trees

Default Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

I’m with you on Jasmin Antique. I own and love several jasmine-centric fragrances (I’m planning to add Sarrasins soon), and most of them are indolic rather than pretty. So it’s not that I’m afraid of indoles or skank. JA is just all menthol on me until the last 30 minutes of its life when I finally, FINALLY, smell jasmine proper. By then it’s so faint, though, I wonder why I bothered.

I don’t hate JA, but I definitely scratch my head over the all the fuss because it just doesn’t perform on my skin the way others experience it. “Meh” is my reaction.

Next trial: Tuberose & Moss

Opens with a rather medicinal floral accord. There is some dry cedar as a bed beneath it. I think it’s the allspice berries that smell medicinal to me. A note of buttery vanilla enter soon but the primary notes are still medicinal. Soon the medicinal quality begins resolving into a sharp green accord that must be the oakmoss. And the vanilla steals forward softly. I think I can detect some bergamot but it’s not a friendly fruity bergamot rather a tart biting bergamot. Either that or the sharp green oakmoss is overwhelming the bergamot. Hours later, it becomes very tart with a touch of vanilla/amber but mostly puckery tart green. About four hours in it drys down to herbal sharp green over vanilla. Six hours in, I get an herbal vanilla amber. A tenacious scent, I didn't dislike it, but it also didn't win me over.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

I wore Jasmin Antique for the first time on Thursday and wow, what a beautiful jasmin floral scent! I ran into an issue about 5 to 6 hours in when I began to detect something fecal and dirty smelling. Almost the same as if my dog had been rolling around in the yard and perhaps rolled in some rabbit or squirrel poop. I thought it was something i picked up from outside, but then I smelled the area on my arm where I sprayed the JA and sure enough, there was that dirty / fecal smell.

While it started off beautiful and I respect the nice floral, frankly it leaned a bit too feminine for me and as soon as it went fecal, I knew I was done with it. Add me to the minority of folks now, who dislike Jasmin Antique and dare I say, Mousse Illuminee.

Third sample: Ishtar

Fresh juniper in the opening with a bed of incense. It’s cloudy musky incense. Very dense. Then slowly the sandalwood creeps in. The musk rises more prominently...powdery creamy musk dominates. It’s very nice here. The juniper and benzoin peek through, adding just a little sharpness and structure to the creamy musky incense and sandalwood. I'm not great with floral notes, I didn't get much lily--but that could perhaps be adding to the sharp counterbalance. It does become soft fairly quickly but the easy sandalwood and creamy musk sustains. I enjoyed this fragrance quite a bit.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I was wondering why I hadn't heard back - looks like my post never posted. Auto-restore feature coming in handy! Below was from a few maybe 2 weeks ago:
    ___

Tuberose & Moss Another with some old-school sensibilities but perhaps not to the extent of Flora & Fauna. Seems like there is some tuberose here right off the bat, a wintergreeny floral vibe, but not as obvious a presence as Flos Mortis or the other really tuberosey one. There's a mix of fruits and flowers in here which compliments things well. I've never smelled Rochas Femme but my mental picture of it is sort of similar. Maybe I'm way off.

The base is warm and creamy but doesn't smell particularly mossy to me. Either way a decent outing and well put-together scent. Ultimately not for me but I can see people getting on with it. Although if someone is buying it purely based on the name, maybe don't expect to get smacked with loads of oakmoss, tuberose, and nothing else. It's more rounded than I expected it to be.

Is Bavard still up next? I see him on the list below me on post #1 but not sure if that's still the order. These are packaged up and ready to go.
    Currently wearing: Frost by St Clair Scenta

Last review: Jasmin Antique

Medicinal and floral in the opening then creamy vanilla lays on top--very sweet like vanilla layer cake. The clove is subtle thankfully because the jasmine is sharp enough. It’s a very pointed floral scent not gentle and easy. The vanilla softens it a little but not much in the opening and heart. I also found the jasmine a bit powdery. It becomes prettier and gentler over time but still a sharp floral, at times nostrils flaring. I would describe this as an old-skool perfume fragrance. After about 5 hours in the extended drydown, it’s a soft sweet floral and quite pleasant at this point.

Of the four, Ishtar is the big winner for me while the rest just don't suit my taste.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Last review: Jasmin Antique

Medicinal and floral in the opening then creamy vanilla lays on top--very sweet like vanilla layer cake. The clove is subtle thankfully because the jasmine is sharp enough. It’s a very pointed floral scent not gentle and easy. The vanilla softens it a little but not much in the opening and heart. I also found the jasmine a bit powdery. It becomes prettier and gentler over time but still a sharp floral, at times nostrils flaring. I would describe this as an old-skool perfume fragrance. After about 5 hours in the extended drydown, it’s a soft sweet floral and quite pleasant at this point.

Of the four, Ishtar is the big winner for me while the rest just don't suit my taste.
    If I remembered correctly, your preference is for more modern scents. The majority of your wardrobe supports this.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    If I remembered correctly, your preference is for more modern scents. The majority of your wardrobe supports this.
    Generally speaking, I'd say that is true.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Have the samples made their way to the next participants?

The person after me on the list never replied to my PM. So then I contacted the person after him. Cacio messaged me that he received them today.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

The person after me on the list never replied to my PM. So then I contacted the person after him. Cacio messaged me that he received them today.
    Thanks for the update. Since Zephyr1973 didn't respond back, I will consider one of the alternates to join the list.

Yes, just got the samples and looking forward to trying them.

I quickly sprayed Flora and Fauna. Strange but interesting. The top is a mix of something almost like menthol (as others were saying) with deeper musks and animalics. Despite the animalics, it doesn't feel dark in the usual sense (ambers). No flowers to my nose.

cacio

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Is Bavard still up next? I see him on the list below me on post #1 but not sure if that's still the order. These are packaged up and ready to go.
    If Bavard is indeed up next, I touched base with him and he’s ready to go as are the Rogue.
    Currently wearing: Frost by St Clair Scenta

Ishtar: the name suggests something more like femme fatale. But instead it's nothing like it. It opens like a clean and white floral, slowly morphing into a clean ambery perfume, a touch sweet, a bit musky and powdery.

Jasmine antique: just sprayed. A big fat jasmine. Hard to find nowadays. Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    If Bavard is indeed up next, I touched base with him and he’s ready to go as are the Rogue.
    The list is current for that group, proceed to sending out the samples.

Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast