Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 635
  1. #61

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    added yellowtone
    Yay, thanks for including me N.CAL.Fragrance Reviewer! I didn't have this house on my radar, but reading up on it makes me very excited to participate here. I don't have much experience yet with pre IFRA or IFRA non compliant scents, so this is an excellent opportunity for me!

  2. #62
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    35,190

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    UPDATE 01/18/19:

    I will include the very elusive Creed(s) Vintage Tabarome, Bayrhum Vetiver, and Verveine Narcisse as a BONUS! I want everyone to try these fragrances and see what s/he thinks of it. All I ask is for all of you to write a short initial impressions (or if desired submit a Fragrance Review on it for those who love writing reviews)

    Creed Vintage Tabarome
    Fragrantica: https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...rome-8891.html
    Basenotes: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121553.html

    Creed Bayrhum Vetiver
    Fragrantica: https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...ver-30691.html
    Basenotes: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120009.html

    Creed Verveine Narcisse
    Basenotes: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120007.html
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

  3. #63

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    UPDATE 01/18/19:

    I will include the very elusive Creed(s) Vintage Tabarome, Bayrhum Vetiver, and Verveine Narcisse as a BONUS! I want everyone to try these fragrances and see what s/he thinks of it. All I ask is for all of you to write a short initial impressions (or if desired submit a Fragrance Review on it for those who love writing reviews)

    Creed Vintage Tabarome
    Fragrantica: https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...rome-8891.html
    Basenotes: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121553.html

    Creed Bayrhum Vetiver
    Fragrantica: https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...ver-30691.html
    Basenotes: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120009.html

    Creed Verveine Narcisse
    Basenotes: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120007.html
    Fabulous! Thanks so much!
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

    > Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

  4. #64
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    35,190

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    In particular Vintage Tabarome is fairly similar to Tabac Vert. I'm curious to find out what everyone thinks of these two fragrances - compare and contrast.

    Manny just posted a new article on his website, something currently in the making :
    https://rogueperfumery.com/2019/01/1...ting-the-past/
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

  5. #65

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    That sounds awesome. Thank you again !
    Spring/early summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge L'Eau; Etro Palais Jamais, Shaal Nur, Dianthus and Gomma; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling and Blenheim Bouquet; Comme des Garcons Zagorsk and Avignon; Dior Fahrenheit; and L.T. Piver Heliotrope
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

  6. #66
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    35,190

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Quote Originally Posted by wildrnesxperienc View Post
    Wow thank you so much! Thats very generous. Unfortunately I might be out of town for a while now. I'd hate to be gone for a month and have these samples sitting there while everyone else waits. So maybe I'll just read the reviews and get samples from Manuel. Thanks again though!
    thekelleybelle will remain on the list.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

  7. #67
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    35,190

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Sample kits are on their way to Kotori and grayspoole.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

  8. #68
    Super Member thekelleybelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    408

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    thekelleybelle will remain on the list.
    Can't say I'm disappointed! Looking forward to trying everything.

  9. #69
    Super Member wildrnesxperienc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    443

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Quote Originally Posted by thekelleybelle View Post
    Can't say I'm disappointed! Looking forward to trying everything.
    Thank you so much for the offer though! I just didn’t want to be a drag on the timeliness of others getting their part of the pass. I went ahead and ordered a sample set as well so I can follow along with you all. Thanks again though.

  10. #70
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    35,190

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Quote Originally Posted by wildrnesxperienc View Post
    Thank you so much for the offer though! I just didn’t want to be a drag on the timeliness of others getting their part of the pass. I went ahead and ordered a sample set as well so I can follow along with you all. Thanks again though.
    Do share your thoughts here when you have the time to review these
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

  11. #71
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    35,190

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

  12. #72
    Basenotes Junkie grayspoole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    614

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Hi everyone-

    The sample set arrived safe and sound today--no leakage, although the box still smells lovely.

    I will get to work and post some comments soon.
    Currently wearing: Muse by Coty

  13. #73
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    35,190

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hi everyone-

    The sample set arrived safe and sound today--no leakage, although the box still smells lovely.

    I will get to work and post some comments soon.
    I'm interested in hearing what your verdicts are for these. How well do Manny's fragrances par with the classics
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

  14. #74

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Received this afternoon!
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

  15. #75

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    I recently acquired some samples from the house, and will be contributing to this thread over the next few days, possible not til the weekend, when I try them out more. I wanna share my thoughts and opinions as well, and this seems to be the active forum to discuss this house right now, so I will revisit it soon.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

  16. #76

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Creed Bay Rum Vetiver

    Rich, Christmassy, Boozy

    The Vetiver is smoky and green and with the bay, feels like being in a pine forest in the cold. The bay rum suggests a winter cocktail. This smell would be at home in my Dad’s log cabin, with the fireplace lit against the snowy cold off the river, occasionally blowing in as people “step outside” for a minute.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

  17. #77

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    I am currently, as of about 30 minutes ago - wearing Mousse Illuminee. Here is my first impression.. The opening, at first it reminded me of Polo Green instantly, the older formulations.. I have a bottle from the 80s, and that is what it reminds me of, only this is more earthy. I noticed the sample vial to be hard to pour from, so I decanted it into a spray atomizer. I then applied 2 sprays to my hand, and it smelled totally different. I got some citrus and florals this time, where as the first time I just got and earthy green smell. Anyways, it's been brewing now for about 30 minutes, and the projection is nice, but it does smell different in the air than on my skin up close. In the air I mostly get leather, while up close I mostly get moss, and a lot more. It takes me to a muggy and humid wooded area, right around where I live, lots of tall pine trees. It's a little bit sappy, as well as the bark from the tree, creating this dirt element, almost like patchouli and leather combined, also smells a bit like soil. It's very natural smelling, and smells a little like oak moss to me, but not completely. I get more pine than anything, which is good because it's one of my favorite notes, and it seems to be rarely used it fragrances anymore.

    I'm glad the floral notes are not in my face, I was afraid of it when looking at Basenotes note pyramid.

    Tomorrow I may give Chypre Siam a full wearing. I tried a little the other day and really liked it.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

  18. #78

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Manny has created some real gems. Of the 6 in the sample pack I was most drawn to Mousse Illuminee (which is stunning), Le Canotier and then Tabac Verte/ Chypre Siam were tied. I’ve already posted a review of Mousse Illuminee but will also post my notes on the others.
    Aluminium = Alzheimer’s

    (My view on aluminium containing antiperspirants)
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

  19. #79
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    35,190

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Manny has created some real gems. Of the 6 in the sample pack I was most drawn to Mousse Illuminee (which is stunning), Le Canotier and then Tabac Verte/ Chypre Siam were tied. I’ve already posted a review of Mousse Illuminee but will also post my notes on the others.
    Mousse Illuminee was the strongest one of the bunch. I'm cautious about this one as I received some negative reactions when I wore this during the day. It's a good scent although it can be a bit too much early on. Le Canotier was a NO for me as it distinctively reminds me of a fragrance that I don't like at all: Creed Tabarome Millesime.

    Tabac Verte was and Chypre Siam were the real winners for me as they remind me of Creed Vintage Tabarome and Coty Chypre respectively. The 2019 formulation of Chypre Siam isn't close to Coty Chypre like the original formulation.

    Derviche and Champs Lunies were great too! I think these will certainly appeal to women particularly those who enjoy jasmine and tuberose.

    I'm looking forward to Manny's upcoming fragrances in the near future.

    Have you read the 40 Love article he uploaded on his website?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

  20. #80
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    35,190

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Creed Bay Rum Vetiver

    Rich, Christmassy, Boozy

    The Vetiver is smoky and green and with the bay, feels like being in a pine forest in the cold. The bay rum suggests a winter cocktail. This smell would be at home in my Dad’s log cabin, with the fireplace lit against the snowy cold off the river, occasionally blowing in as people “step outside” for a minute.

    I recalled some Glade candles that my family had in past years smelled exactly like this. It had that spicy clove feel combined with the smell of fresh pine leaves. The living room smelled of this aroma in addition to the fresh live Christmas tree. Xmas in a bottle!
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

  21. #81
    Basenotes Junkie grayspoole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    614

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Here I go...

    Chypre Siam
    is a beautiful, textbook chypre. It opens with a big slug of juicy, toothsome bergamot. Don’t know if this is bergapten-restricted bergamot or free range bergamot, but it’s very fine. The composition quickly softens into its structure of peaty, faintly sweet oakmoss, labdanum, and nitromusks, which provide a delicately animalic profile in the first few hours of wear. The stated jasmine nor ylang ylang notes did not register much with me. In the very late (8+ hours) drydown, however, the “amber accord” comes to the forefront, with labdanum as the most prominent note, giving Chypre Siam a rather modern finish.

    Chypre Siam has been compared to vintage Mitsouko, which is fine praise, but I am not seeing that connection since there is no fruitiness present. Instead, Chypre Siam harkens back to older chypres such as Coty’s Chypre, as our swaphost N.Cal.FragranceReviewer has already noted, and, I would add, Millot’s Crepe de Chine (1925), my "reference" chypre.

    So I wore my dab of Chypre Siam to work yesterday, with Crepe de Chine extrait on the rest of me, and the newcomer stood up quite well to the great vintage chypre. Crepe de Chine felt more complex than Chypre Siam overall, due to its otherworldly and probably now unattainable vintage jasmine and sandalwood. I’d love to see a stronger presence of floral and/or herbal notes in the opening or middle phase of Chypre Siam, to ornament the chypre structure and give it a more distinctive personality. (I have the same issue with the 80’s version of Coty’s Chypre, by the way, which is the onIy version I have tried.)

    Chypre Siam is lovely work, a 21st century classical chypre. I am looking forward to my next Rogue sample...
    Currently wearing: Muse by Coty

  22. #82
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    35,190

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    UPDATE 01/24/19:

    I spoke with Hazel5 recently and she too is willing to ship to Europe. If we can get any additional individuals from Europe who might be interested I might expand the current list.

    Another possibility, if there are any individuals from Canada who are interested in sampling the Rogue Perfumery fragrances I could also expand the list.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

  23. #83

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    4,147

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    I sampled these two in the last couple of days.
    I honestly don't know what to think of these.
    I didn't smell anything negative.
    I also didn't get wowed by anything.
    Just perfume without much to say about itself.

    il_fullxfull.1592701163_9r2e.jpg
    il_570xN.1578362011_aag0.jpg

  24. #84

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Does anyone else get leather in Mousse Illuminee? I don't see it in the note breakdown, but I got a lot of it, especially in the dry down. Also, does anyone find the whole composition very close to Polo green?? I wore it again today and my mother said what are you wearing, it smells like a bathroom" LOL. I don't agree with that though, unless the bathroom is out in the forest. Then she said it smells like Pinesol when I had her smell it up close. She said it smelled "old mannish".. well maybe I am just getting to that point where I thoroughly enjoy these types of frags, unlike when I was in my 20's. Though I oculdn't see myself wearing this as a signature scent, or even very often, I will probably buy a bottle soon, because it really just reminds me of Polo from an 80's batch.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

  25. #85
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    35,190

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I sampled these two in the last couple of days.
    I honestly don't know what to think of these.
    I didn't smell anything negative.
    I also didn't get wowed by anything.
    Just perfume without much to say about itself.

    il_fullxfull.1592701163_9r2e.jpg
    il_570xN.1578362011_aag0.jpg
    Let me ask this, do you have an interest in classic fragrances? Both of these have a take on fragrances of what was back in the past. For those who are accustomed to modern day fragrances this might be not be as appealing. I'd say give it some time maybe you might warm up to these scents.

    Having an interest in chypre and oakmoss and classic scents in general these were instant likes.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

  26. #86
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    35,190

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Does anyone else get leather in Mousse Illuminee? I don't see it in the note breakdown, but I got a lot of it, especially in the dry down. Also, does anyone find the whole composition very close to Polo green?? I wore it again today and my mother said what are you wearing, it smells like a bathroom" LOL. I don't agree with that though, unless the bathroom is out in the forest. Then she said it smells like Pinesol when I had her smell it up close. She said it smelled "old mannish".. well maybe I am just getting to that point where I thoroughly enjoy these types of frags, unlike when I was in my 20's. Though I oculdn't see myself wearing this as a signature scent, or even very often, I will probably buy a bottle soon, because it really just reminds me of Polo from an 80's batch.
    I haven't smelled Polo Green from the 80's so I can't make this comparison (like many others have previously). I don't get a leather note at all.

    I could see the Pinsesol complement now that I think of it. I do get the accords of pines, woods, a little bit of cypress. Do you pick up on a soapy note? One fragrance in particular from Creed called Cypres Musc does have a soapy aroma which is composed of cypress, woods, oakmoss, and woods. This one reminds me of both of the outdoors and a restroom. A cabin bathroom in wilderness

    On a side note, one of my negative complements was that I smelled like weed.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

  27. #87

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    4,147

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Let me ask this, do you have an interest in classic fragrances? Both of these have a take on fragrances of what was back in the past. For those who are accustomed to modern day fragrances this might be not be as appealing. I'd say give it some time maybe you might warm up to these scents.

    Having an interest in chypre and oakmoss and classic scents in general these were instant likes.
    Yes, I like classic style fragrances. The new Lover's Tale from Francesca Bianchi is old school, and I wrote a rave review. I'll let these two sit for a week or two and give them another sampling to see if i was just having a bad hair day. Seems like Rogue is trying to do something special.

  28. #88
    Basenotes Junkie grayspoole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    614

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Hi folks-

    Mousse Illuminee starts out as an all out celebration of oakmoss, with the oakmoss featured in Chypre Siam taking center stage. The perfumer has explained that he is using Robertet Treemoss, and I think it is wonderful stuff. The oakmoss is accented with some lovely artemisa and conifer notes.

    Although it said to be as a tribute to 80’s powerhouse masculines, scents that I usually cannot wear with equanamity, Mousse Illuminee was quite wearable for me. I really enjoyed the gusts of oakmoss and and deep green notes in its early and middle phases, so much so that I began to assess whether or not I needed a bottle in my collection. I didn't get pine cleaner or that slightly skunky greenness of weed in these stages, N.Cal.FragranceReviewer.

    Unfortunately, the “white musk” that takes over the drydown broke the spell for me. Colognist, I think this is what you were perceiving as leather? Like N.Cal.FragranceReviewer, I don’t read this note as leather either. It’s a faintly sweet musk aromachemical that is reminiscent of vetiver and ever so slightly suggestive of frankincense. I’ve encountered it in other niche scents I’ve sampled, It’s is very persistent, but I needed something else, or something more, to extend my enjoyment of this composition.

    Despite my reservations with the late drydown, I am still impressed with Mousse Illuminee. It reminded me of Oriza Legrand’s Chypre Mousse, which I also enjoyed until the drydown, but Mousse Illuminee is a much richer moss composition overall.
    Currently wearing: Muse by Coty

  29. #89

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I haven't smelled Polo Green from the 80's so I can't make this comparison (like many others have previously). I don't get a leather note at all.

    I could see the Pinsesol complement now that I think of it. I do get the accords of pines, woods, a little bit of cypress. Do you pick up on a soapy note? One fragrance in particular from Creed called Cypres Musc does have a soapy aroma which is composed of cypress, woods, oakmoss, and woods. This one reminds me of both of the outdoors and a restroom. A cabin bathroom in wilderness

    On a side note, one of my negative complements was that I smelled like weed.
    I do get some soapiness in the opening and it reminds me of the soapiness I get from Prada Amber. It kind of smells really weird in the first initial blast. I get the smell of a Sharpie marker, the soapiness from Prada Amber, and a dirty animallic musk.

    Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hi folks-

    Mousse Illuminee starts out as an all out celebration of oakmoss, with the oakmoss featured in Chypre Siam taking center stage. The perfumer has explained that he is using Robertet Treemoss, and I think it is wonderful stuff. The oakmoss is accented with some lovely artemisa and conifer notes.

    Although it said to be as a tribute to 80’s powerhouse masculines, scents that I usually cannot wear with equanamity, Mousse Illuminee was quite wearable for me. I really enjoyed the gusts of oakmoss and and deep green notes in its early and middle phases, so much so that I began to assess whether or not I needed a bottle in my collection. I didn't get pine cleaner or that slightly skunky greenness of weed in these stages, N.Cal.FragranceReviewer.

    Unfortunately, the “white musk” that takes over the drydown broke the spell for me. Colognist, I think this is what you were perceiving as leather? Like N.Cal.FragranceReviewer, I don’t read this note as leather either. It’s a faintly sweet musk aromachemical that is reminiscent of vetiver and ever so slightly suggestive of frankincense. I’ve encountered it in other niche scents I’ve sampled, It’s is very persistent, but I needed something else, or something more, to extend my enjoyment of this composition.

    Despite my reservations with the late drydown, I am still impressed with Mousse Illuminee. It reminded me of Oriza Legrand’s Chypre Mousse, which I also enjoyed until the drydown, but Mousse Illuminee is a much richer moss composition overall.
    Hmm, maybe. I'm gonna be wearing it again tonight as I sit at the computer and analyze it more.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

  30. #90
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    35,190

    Default Re: Sample Pass: Rogue Perfumery

    Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hi folks-

    Mousse Illuminee starts out as an all out celebration of oakmoss, with the oakmoss featured in Chypre Siam taking center stage. The perfumer has explained that he is using Robertet Treemoss, and I think it is wonderful stuff. The oakmoss is accented with some lovely artemisa and conifer notes.

    Although it said to be as a tribute to 80’s powerhouse masculines, scents that I usually cannot wear with equanamity, Mousse Illuminee was quite wearable for me. I really enjoyed the gusts of oakmoss and and deep green notes in its early and middle phases, so much so that I began to assess whether or not I needed a bottle in my collection. I didn't get pine cleaner or that slightly skunky greenness of weed in these stages, N.Cal.FragranceReviewer.

    Unfortunately, the “white musk” that takes over the drydown broke the spell for me. Colognist, I think this is what you were perceiving as leather? Like N.Cal.FragranceReviewer, I don’t read this note as leather either. It’s a faintly sweet musk aromachemical that is reminiscent of vetiver and ever so slightly suggestive of frankincense. I’ve encountered it in other niche scents I’ve sampled, It’s is very persistent, but I needed something else, or something more, to extend my enjoyment of this composition.

    Despite my reservations with the late drydown, I am still impressed with Mousse Illuminee. It reminded me of Oriza Legrand’s Chypre Mousse, which I also enjoyed until the drydown, but Mousse Illuminee is a much richer moss composition overall.
    Perhaps a more complexed upgrade from Chypre Siam? With Mousse Illuminee there's a lot more going on and one can envision him/herself in a location more easily. For me it was the Santa Cruz mountains here in California. Combination of lushes pines and redwoods in a very damp rainy environment. Do you get this environmental vibe from it?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed




Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sample Pass: THE ZOO
    By N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 332
    Last Post: 21st May 2019, 03:21 AM
  2. Immortelle: mini pass the sample/sample giveaway
    By cacio in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 18th December 2018, 08:53 PM
  3. Sample Pass: Salvatore Ferragamo Tuscan Soul Quintessential Collection Fragrances and Extra Sample.
    By N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 31st October 2017, 01:10 PM
  4. I'll pass on the Habit Rouge
    By scentimus in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26th February 2010, 10:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000