Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances that have much better scent clouds vs smelled up close or on paper

These stand out to me:

Bleecker St - great scent cloud and get compliments but smells too sharp up close
    Santal 33 - pickles up close but man this smells good from as a scent cloud

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Fragrances that have much better scent clouds vs smelled up close or on paper

Magellan
    Lem
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Fragrances that have much better scent clouds vs smelled up close or on paper

Dior Sauvage is one that comes to mind. It smells decent when I catch it on someone else, but up close it’s a mess.

Freed from BN Institution

New Haarlem comes to mind. It's harsh smelling in close proximity but smells better at a distance.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

Escentric molecules 01
    Santal 33
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue
    3.(Dior) Vetiver/H The Exclusive Black Tier
    4.Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Santal Noir
    5.Candy Aoud/Fusion Sacrée Clair
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse/Au Hasard
    7.Jump Up & Kiss Me Hedonistic/Teisenddu
    8.Alexandria II
    9.Black Calamus
    10.Atramental/Tolu
    Currently wearing: Amber Sky by Ex Nihilo

Invictus Aqua

Bleu de Chanel

1 Million Lucky

Sean John I Am King

Pegasus

AdG

Armani Stronger With You

Rasasi Hawas

Baccarat Rouge

Ferragamo Uomo

Bvlgari Aqua

All of these have some scratch synthetic chemically harsh notes (some more than others) when smelled up close that aren’t noticeable from a couple feet away or in a sillage trail.
    Currently wearing: Gentlemen Only by Givenchy

Grand soir for sure!! Smelling up close I guess this harsh note. But the scent cloud smells like rich amber

Viking too, the scent cloud on this one really makes it an all around well made scent.

I went through a phase recently for a bit where I was experiencing fragrances when wearing them in a blah manner thankfully it passed. Sometimes when wearing a fragrance I agree up close it can be harsh or grow tiring but the sillage you know is way better. I have never experimented with different application methods always to the chest, I’ve grown accustomed to always smelling the fragrance and would hate struggling to smell it. For me the list of fragrances I feel this way about would vary day to day because some days fragrances smell better and are enjoyable more than other days.

Let's Dance

Dior Sauvage would be a leading example.

Aventus. by far...

Wow, I have to say, both Santal 33 and Sauvage from afar are particularly objectionable to me.

First things that come to mind with the original question are Kouros and Leather Oud, both of which are far less challenging from a little distance than smelled right up close.