Code of Conduct

Thread: MOTH and RABBIT

Default MOTH and RABBIT

Two weeks ago I came across a new brand called Moth and Rabbit. Before I write something about their scents, a short introduction:

after checking the notes of their fragrances I decided to contact them, asking about possibility of buying samples, as they only have 50ml bottles and 12ml travel sizes on their website. Unfortunately, I got a response, that as for now, they don't sell samples, but they can give me a discount for travel sizes. Since I avoid buying bigger sizes for tests and tend to try scents via samples, I thanked them and said, that checking the whole line by this method would cost me too much. I thought this was the end of the story, but a moment later I got another response saying that they can fill their travel-size bottles with 1-2ml and send them to me. What was even more shocking is the fact, that they gave it to me for free. A few days ago I received the package and I was stunned - almost all bottles were full - i.e. had 12ml, as you can see in attachment.

I know it may look like a advertisement, but I think it's important to appreciate such generosity and great approach. It may be common for bloggers or other reviewers, but to act like this for some random client is worth mentioning, especially since they didn't want anything from this. I thought that at least people should know about it.

As for the scents, as for now I tried only one - Blow Up, which is much weirded than I expected from Buxton. It starts quite rough, with saffron and cassis leaves on the foreground. What strike the most is the sourness from the cassis leaves and liquor-like texture. I'm not a big fan of sour notes in fragrances, but because the scent has a full "body" (I mean it's not thin) and is balanced by saffron along with incense and a little bit of woody notes, it's not tiresome or oppresive. After a few minutes myrrhe and civet is coming up and the combo of cassis leaves and civet is what I found the most interesting (of course there are other scents with these notes, but they are embraced here in a unusual way). Especially later, when they are more softened by incense and amber, thanks to which this is not something too weird or hard to wear.
    Overall it's a really unusual take on cassis and animal notes. There is so much going on, but you don't have a feeling of cacophony even for a second. Instead it feels balanced and especially well thought

Now that I think, this is the first scent made by Buxton that I really liked.

I will soon have time to test rest of the line and will post it here
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: MOTH and RABBIT

I had heard about this German company but haven't tried any yet. That was very nice of them to send you the set. Looking forward to hearing you future thoughts on them.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I enjoy Moth & Rabbit's The Lobster. For others looking to sample this house, who aren't fortunate enough to get a free sample set fumerie.com has sample sizes of some of their fragrances.

Basenotes Plus

I'd sample them for free. Otherwise my plate is full of expenditures elsewhere. I too am curious to read a report on the other fragrances from the lineup of the generous sample set they sent you.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

I was quite busy and could't test earlier, but today I wore Lobster and Single Man.
    I would describe the first one as aquatic-woody. I don't smell too much notes here and it is, at least on me, quite simple but at the same time it's not another common aquatic. The closest one to Lobster is in my opinion Turquise by Durbano, but this one reminds me more of driftwood instead of mineral notes. It's also lighter so I think it should work well in hot weather. I'm not a big fan of this genre, but this one, along with Albastross is the only aquatic fragrance that I could wear and enjoy (I'm not counting Pale Grey Mountain as it's in different genre in my opinion). It gained a few compliments, so people around me have appreciated it as well.
    I will wait for spring-summer season for this one to wear it more.

As for the Single Man, I can't say that I liked it. And that's because of cashmeran, which I hate and is ufnortunately one of the key notes in Single Man.
    There is a lot of going on here, with a lot of woods at the forefront, and nutmeg with amber (which gives a "fuzzy" feel) and "light patchouli" on the background, but because of the heavy use of cashmeran, It lacks substance for me. If you like light woods, more similiar to Geza's style or Canto offerings than heavy, full-body scents like Bowmakers, you may like to check it out.

They were Folie á Plusiers before (see directory) but did a name change, I think last year, to Moth and Rabbit. I purchased a travel size of Blow Up some time back, which to my nose has some similarities to Amouage's Dia Man. I didn't know at that time but it seems like Mark Buxton did most, if not all of the line. As mentioned above Fumerie.com carries the line and they do have samples online as well as the 12ml sizes.

Basenotes Plus

Are all their scents named after movies?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Are all their scents named after movies?
    Apparently so.

https://www.moth-rabbit.com/collecti...-vision-series
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Hang on -- these fragrances have been knocking about for a long while and sold under different brand names

I had Blow-Up years ago. I remember La Haine also being practically unwearable (for me anyway) -- it was uncompromising, like the film I suppose.

Fragrances never die it seems -- they just get passed on

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Interesting. They picked some fairly obscure movies, too.