Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Remember Growing Up When You Wore Fragrance Just Because No Purpose No Enjoyment What Was It?

Tommy Hilfiger Original, Michael Jordan Original - youth wasn’t interested in fragrances then.

4-5 years ago Nautica fragrances Voyage, Blue, Voyage N-83, Classic, Aqua Rush, Life, Aqua Rush Gold just for the sake of wearing never enjoyed them.

5-6 years ago Quorum mostly once I decided I wanted to smell like something haha another just because.

Edit sorry for the confusion all:

I mean before you got into the full blown fragrance hobby you started somewhere before you were well educated about fragrances what were some of the first you used.
    Last edited by speckmann0706; 17th January 2019 at 10:28 PM.

Default Re: Remember When You Wore Fragrance Just Because No Purpose No Enjoyment What Was It?

Except for sampling/testing I’ve never worn a fragrance I didn’t enjoy.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Default Re: Remember When You Wore Fragrance Just Because No Purpose No Enjoyment What Was It?

I don’t understand the question.

Wore patchouli oil a lot when I was younger, then Gucci Rush for about 5 years straight. If that’s what you mean?

For me that's the only reason to wear a fragrance. I really enjoy revelling in a scent. I often wear something while winding down before bedtime as it allows me an hour or two to explore it fully. I do, however, like wearing frags that my SO likes as well.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I don't remember ever wearing a fragrance for no reason and no enjoyment.
    Currently wearing: Genre by Edward Bess

Banned

When I was a kid I would spray on my dad's colognes which I always thought smelled quite nice. In fact, he did give me my first "cologne" when I was about 12 and I wore it just to feel older and sophisticated but I can't recall the scent or if I genuinely enjoyed it lol.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post
    I don’t understand the question.

Wore patchouli oil a lot when I was younger, then Gucci Rush for about 5 years straight. If that’s what you mean?
    Same here. I can't tell what's being asked. But yeah, I've never worn a fragrance that I didn't actively like .... if that's what the question is ...

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Anything I sampled but didn't like, and kept on my skin to formulate a breakdown for the review.
    oh look, I have a signature

When i was around 16, it was Boss - Hugo Boss, because everyone who was my age was wearing it.

Second was La Nuit de l'Homme (2009), which i gave to a friend some times afterwards. Had i kept it a few more years, i would have made a fortune selling it on eBay ahah

Basenotes Junkie

I wore YSL L'Homme every day for about 4 years. I would go through a 2.0oz bottle every 6-8 months, and then reload. I really liked it, and people around me liked it, so I've never worn something I'm meh on just because, but that was a set it and forget it fragrance. Before that I wore Cristobal by Balenciaga as my daily driver.

I am much happier now having a lot of different options to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by LostboyR View Post
    I don't remember ever wearing a fragrance for no reason and no enjoyment.
    Same here. I began in the early 80s. Polo, Grey Flannel, Halston Z-14 and 1-12....and the list goes on. I wore Polo to match my Polo gear and Adidas to match my Adidas gear....talk about reason and enjoyment....LOL!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    I’ve never worn a fragrance I didn’t enjoy.
    Likewise.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Except for sampling/testing I’ve never worn a fragrance I didn’t enjoy.
    Same here.And with sampling if I don't like it I wash it off.

In fact, having quite the opposite problem-hardly ever managing to be fully critical about almost any fragrance worn or even tested-unable and/or unwilling to help myself from getting overexcited about, over-analyzing, enthusiastic even about fragrances was not so keen on.

Even in the cases of at best a mediocre and/or neutral impression after repeated wearing/testing/using- unless of course allergies or health concerns make the enjoyment of almost any fragrance impossible,- the impression (s) were still predominantly positive and enriching, rather than just "going through the moves" for the sake of some superficial fad.

No purpose whatsoever? Not to smell good to others, just because?
    I don't think I've ever done that. It's either to test it out, to enjoy it myself, or to smell appealing to others.

But when I started wearing cologne in high school and later college, I just wore what I thought was the good stuff, even if I didn't like it.
    Obsession and Kenneth Cole New York were gifted to me, and I just wore them because...guys are supposed to wear cologne. I didn't particularly like either one of them.
    I used to wear CK Contradiction despite it smelling like some kind of harsh chemical cleaner. The pretty SA said it was her favorite and she wouldn't lie to me, right?
    Issey Miyake was the last cologne I wore based on it's reputation and not what I personally thought about it.

Sorry guys, I mean before you got into the full blown fragrance hobby you started somewhere before you were well educated about fragrances what were some of the first you used.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Sorry guys, I mean before you got into the full blown fragrance hobby you started somewhere before you were well educated about fragrances what were some of the first you used.
    Whatever my relatives gave me in that case.
    oh look, I have a signature

I don't get this topic lol
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional
    Currently wearing: Rochas Man by Rochas

‘Whatever is not commonly worn by my peers’ was one of my ‘just because’ back in my late teens /early 20s even if performance was subpar.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

When I was in high school I used to wear Azzaro Chrome. And then afterwards I wore Gucci Guilty, as it was a gift from my girlfriend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Fragrance Rotation:

Banana Republic 78 Vintage Green
    Bvlgari Aqua Amara
    Dior Sauvage
    Encre Noire Sport
    Mugler Ultra Zest
    Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Versace Man Eau Fraîche

Default Re: Remember Growing Up When You Wore Fragrance Just Because No Purpose No Enjoyment What Was It?

For me it was Acqua Di Gio!

Default Re: Remember Growing Up When You Wore Fragrance Just Because No Purpose No Enjoyment What Was It?

I wore something called “Timberline” by Dana. It’s still around apparently. I liked it! I think my mother gave it to me as a birthday gift. There was also some Eddie Bauer cologne I liked and wore, I think it may have been called Adventure or something like that. Those were 8th, 9th, 10th grade. Senior year I was into Curve, Cool Water, and Polo Sport. I had a Cool Water tester bottle that smelled so good to me back then! I enjoyed all of these, but I think you’re just asking what we wore before we were ever serious about fragrances. These are the ones.
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

I wore AZ Jean Co. EDT, which apparently has slipped down the memory hole, as I've seen absolutely no evidence on the internet, that it ever existed. Does anyone else remember this one? Pretty sure it was released in 1996.

Also wore Navy for men, Grey Flannel, Tommy Hilfiger and Obsession.

1988 - Drakkar Noir. I got a mini of it wondering what the heck is "Eau de Toilette." I didn't wear it that much, but it was so strong a mini was all you needed... A dab will do ya!
    In rotation: YSL PH HC, Bogart Citytower, Fahrenheit, Paco Rabanne PH, Escada Magnetism for Men, Halston 1-12
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

The first fragrances I liked were certain Old Spice body sprays and Adidas Moves EDT

My dad had to buy me my first cologne (Platinum Egoiste) before I actually got into "real" fragrances

Back in the day I wore whatever people would buy me or whatever I thought smelled good. Sometimes I’d ask for what I liked as a Christmas present. Before it was a hobby, I wore the following:

Love’s Baby Soft
    Heaven Sent by Mem
    Tiffany for Women
    Spellbound by Estée Lauder
    Dune by Dior (still wear this)
    Pleasures by Estée Lauder
    Allure by Chanel
    Dazzling Gold by Estée Lauder
    Gieffeffe by Gianfranco Ferre (still wear this)
    Alchimie by Rochas
    Byblos by Byblos
    Rush by Gucci (still wear this)
    Eau de Dior Coloressence Energisant
    Sui Dreams by Anna Sui
    Flower by Kenzo (still wear this)
    Dior Addict
    Amor Amor by Cacharel
    Rockin’ Rio by Escada
    Bvlgari The Vert Extreme (still wear this)
    Eau Belle by Azzaro (still wear this)
    Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain (still wear this)
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Yes, I wore the original Jordan cologne back when I was like 14, because it was gonna make me play like Mike, lol!! And Curve, because I thought it was cool for whatever reason.

Freed from BN Institution

Never happened to me even before I started collecting.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Since my youth I was/am always aware of what perfume I was/am wearing...in fact I started collecting perfumes in those days.
    Currently wearing: Lomani by Lomani

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Back in the day I wore whatever people would buy me or whatever I thought smelled good. Sometimes I’d ask for what I liked as a Christmas present. Before it was a hobby, I wore the following:

Love’s Baby Soft
    Yes! My teenage girlfriend (not now, but when I was a teenager haha) used to drench herself in Love’s Baby Soft. It was hypnotic to me. I can still conjure up that scent in my mind many years later. Made me smile when I saw your post. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current Go-To:
    Javanese Patchouli (Zegna), Vintage Tabarome (Creed), Vetiver Ext. (R Dove), Kobe (Xerjoff), M1849 (Creed), L'Air du Desert Marocain (Tauer), Colonia Essenza (Acqua di Parma), Musc Infini (Ex Nihilo), Bergamot Ext. (R Dove), Musk Oud (By Killian), Violettes du Czar (Legrand)