Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default SOTD: Sunday, 20th January, 2019

Scent of the Day Thread for Sunday, 20th January, 2019

Useful Links
    * SOTD for yesterday, Saturday, 19th January, 2019 (FFD)
    * SOTD for yesterday, Saturday, 19th January, 2019 (MFD)
    * SOTD Feature

Basenotes Robot's SOTD
    Today I'm wearing: 90210 Very Sexy by Beverly Hills 90210

Bloop bloop bleep

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: SOTD: Sunday, 20th January, 2019

Argentium by L'Arc

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

Happy Birthday Silentrich! He passed away recently and today would've been his birthday.

Going with Moschino Pour Homme
    Last edited by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer; 20th January 2019 at 12:08 AM.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Dependent

Piment Brulant

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
    ------------------------------------------------
    For what its worth!

hello all,
    Currently wearing: Full Incense by Montale

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Miss Hesta Jones, disappointing amount of snow here too (ie - none whatsoever ). We do have a heavy frost though and a light mist which looks quite spectacular under the blue skies. Time to get out and about as there are still plenty of residual Xmas calories that need dealing with and the new year health kick continues apace.

Neil Morris - Chasing Autumn.

ClockworkAlice, I really should try a few more NR fragrances but avoided the house like the plague after sampling the original "For Him" which has to be one of the vilest things I have ever smelled - an amalgamation of Fahrenheit (which I absolutely loathe) and a wet dog . Maybe some of the female marketed stuff will be more to my liking.

hello all.

No. 5 Eau de Toilette by Chanel, this is 2016 version which I got as an extra from a purchase on Ebay with another fragrance. Thought okay I dislike No5 but before I decide to give it to a friend will give it a wear today.
    DONNA

Hello everyone!

JON RODGERS, it seems like you have a beautiful day. Have a nice walk!
    It's snowing right now where I live, looks very Christmas like. I would prefer no snow and a light mist though!

About Narciso Rodriguez - I haven't tried or sniffed any of their male fragrances, but after reading reviews and comments for his feminine stuff that I liked both on spray paper and on me (Narciso, Narciso Poudree, Narciso Rouge, Narciso For Her) it seems the reviews are really polarising. Some people say it's mild, sophisticated and understated (I'm one of them), some people say they just can't smell anything, some people say it's nice but too heavy, some people say it's super sensual and sexy, for some it's a safe office smell, some say it smells like grandmother, and some people say it just reeks of dirty stuff. Just wow. I've heard something about anosmia or partial anosmia to musk/different kinds of musk, so maybe it is possible that while I think I smell very softly and lightly wearing it, everyone else thinks I haven't showered in days? I *think* I can smell all that musk in them, but to me it's very very lightly warm and pleasant. So maybe I'm not smelling all of it? I'm confused.

The photo with the train in the autumn you added is absolutely beautiful.

donna225, tell us if you liked No. 5 Eau de Toilette after all or not!

My smell of the day is Wood pour Femme by Dsquared2, SA gave me this tester vial at the counter yesterday so now I'm trying it. So far absolutely not impressed. I don't get anything woody here yet, just light sweet floral with some fruit, and it's so light I had to spray quite a lot on my wrists to be able to smell it. This might be a nice light summer scent for a teenage girl though. I'll leave this tester for May or June to try again, and I don't think I'll want to wear it sooner.
    Currently wearing: Gabrielle by Chanel

Blog Entries

Morning all!

No chance of snow here either, but we have some sunny intervals breaking through the gloom.

We'll be heading out for lunch in a bit, & l'll be wearing Cadjmere 18.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Before I even checked the weather (cold and wet) I'd run over to my rotation shelf and sprayed Ostara (Penhaligons) - this is one of only two non-oriental spicers from my ten-bottle January bunch, and it's gorgeous! So I had an hour of Spring before sticking my nose outside and back to wintry weather.

Currently wearing: Full Incense by Montale

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

I planned a nice sleep-in for today, but internal circadian tricksters woke both of us at 4:30 a.m. DH and I chatted in depth about the nature of comedians for a time, a really lovely chat, but obvs we were awake to stay, so the morning rituals began: his restarting the fire in the woodstove and my setting up the French press. Now it's 7 a.m. and I've started a second pot while DH is working on tax returns. Where in the world is this day headed?

I can report we finally got our first meaningful snow of the season, although it's not enough to bother clearing the driveway.

Foolishly, I've applied both a bit of Feminite du Bois and Guerlain Coquin to different body parts because I love them both. They're not cruel to each other, but neither are they playing on the same team. Ah, well, today appears to have a kind of bumper-car trajectory thus far.
    JOIN US FOR A BASENOTES MEET-UP IN CHICAGO MAY 25, 2019: See thread

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Hello everyone!

JON RODGERS, it seems like you have a beautiful day. Have a nice walk!
    It's snowing right now where I live, looks very Christmas like. I would prefer no snow and a light mist though!

About Narciso Rodriguez - I haven't tried or sniffed any of their male fragrances, but after reading reviews and comments for his feminine stuff that I liked both on spray paper and on me (Narciso, Narciso Poudree, Narciso Rouge, Narciso For Her) it seems the reviews are really polarising. Some people say it's mild, sophisticated and understated (I'm one of them), some people say they just can't smell anything, some people say it's nice but too heavy, some people say it's super sensual and sexy, for some it's a safe office smell, some say it smells like grandmother, and some people say it just reeks of dirty stuff. Just wow. I've heard something about anosmia or partial anosmia to musk/different kinds of musk, so maybe it is possible that while I think I smell very softly and lightly wearing it, everyone else thinks I haven't showered in days? I *think* I can smell all that musk in them, but to me it's very very lightly warm and pleasant. So maybe I'm not smelling all of it? I'm confused.

The photo with the train in the autumn you added is absolutely beautiful.

donna225, tell us if you liked No. 5 Eau de Toilette after all or not!

My smell of the day is Wood pour Femme by Dsquared2, SA gave me this tester vial at the counter yesterday so now I'm trying it. So far absolutely not impressed. I don't get anything woody here yet, just light sweet floral with some fruit, and it's so light I had to spray quite a lot on my wrists to be able to smell it. This might be a nice light summer scent for a teenage girl though. I'll leave this tester for May or June to try again, and I don't think I'll want to wear it sooner.
    I dislike the opening but after 15-20 minutes it suddenly goes wonderfully powdery. I am in shock as I really really like it. I have only ever sniffed the parfum money years ago and it did not sit well on my skin at all. Then tried the edp version some years later and the same thing. So just stayed away from No5 ever since though I love No22 Who knew, I was trying the wrong version.
    DONNA

I smell something

Hello and best to everyone. Alaïa Eau de Parfum Blanche for me.

Re: N° 5, I came around to it via the Elixir Sensuel, the edp, and vintage eau de cologne, all of which I find smoother and sweeter than the edt. And of course the vintage edc has those nitromusks for irreplaceable depth and richness.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Bijan by Bijan

Givenchy III EDT

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I dislike the opening but after 15-20 minutes it suddenly goes wonderfully powdery. I am in shock as I really really like it. I have only ever sniffed the parfum money years ago and it did not sit well on my skin at all. Then tried the edp version some years later and the same thing. So just stayed away from No5 ever since though I love No22 Who knew, I was trying the wrong version.
    It's great to hear that you liked it this time after all these years! And now it's yours to keep.

Basenotes Junkie Miss Hesta Jones's Avatar

JR - Beautiful here, too. Studies got in the way of a walk, but if I got up and threw myself into doing something straight off in the mornings, instead of getting sucked into smartphone-gazing, I could fit several more tasks into every day, I think! Good luck with the health kick - I’m going to reacquaint myself with the local gym at some point in the next couple of weeks.

I’ve enjoyed doing Quarry’s ‘Build two wardrobes’ challenge, although I realise neither of the resulting selections are wheat you might call a ‘rounded wardrobe’, but just what kind of frag addicts would we all be if we ever felt our collections were complete, eh?!

SOTD Queen Shali. I’ve had a few new decants recently and darling Shali has been a little neglected. I’d hate her to ever feel left out...
    “Art is a lie that tells the truth” - Pablo Picasso
    Currently wearing: Rentless by Lush

Basenotes Plus

Enjoying Organza Indécence today. Despite my cold it comes through loud and clear.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Ungaro II.

If not now, when?

N Cal Frag Reviewer - to answer your question: I have owned a bottle of No. 19 EdC and loved it but I don't think I need more. Whereas No.5 I've never owned a bottle. Now Bois des Iles...that one I have owned a bottle of Parfum and I could easily own more. I love that (and Egoiste).

Last night I went dancing (OMG I danced 4 hours non stop) in a cloud of L'Oudh by Tauer (layered with a tiny bit of Homage by Amouage - a fantastic combo. This morning it's cold and rainy so I'm gonna wear my Asheville, NC-scent-memory choice:

Le Participe Passe by Serge Lutens

"When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Club Design by The Zoo

Let's Dance

SOTD

La Fumee

Scrubbed off the sad remains of my SOTD (Wood pour Femme by Dsquared2) and just put on Kenzo World EDT on my wrists (another tester spray vial that was sitting untouched for quite a while). Aaaaaand so far I don't like this one either (at least the sweetness of pear in top notes). Too bad, its sillage seems better than Wood pour Femme was, so I actually do smell it while typing. And while Wood was just quite bland and mildly annoying (it got better in the end though), this is actively annoying to me I just hope it gets better with time, but so far today seems like an educational, but a very bad day scent wise to me
    I think I'll have two spray vials ready to give away to someone.

Edit: I managed to survive Kenzo World EDT for the whole hour before deciding to scrub it off before it made me sick. I think I should stay away from a certain kind of fruity florals in the future (though this one didn't smell that bad in the vial/on the paper, so maybe it's my skin). Putting on some Verveine to heal myself. I see this one has become my go-to medicine after bad fragrance trips
    Last edited by ClockworkAlice; 20th January 2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: editing instead of doubleposting

Blog Entries

SotD - Went to Sunday Mass wearing Wonderwood by Comme des Garcons.

Sale Thread: PM me if you are interested in any/all of the following or click HERE for more details:
    Hermes: Terre d'Hermes Pure Parfum 75ml
    Michael Kors: Michael for Men (Givenchy edition) 75ml
    YSL: Kouros Cologne Sport 100ml, Rive Gauche pour Homme 75ml

Francesca Bianchi Under My Skin
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

IMG_20180727_145153_712.jpg
    Avon Leather (1966)

Nancy Sinatra, eat your heart out~
    oh look, I have a signature

Freed from BN Institution

My SOTE Chanel Sycomore EDT
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Sillage Monster

Hello all,

I’m wearing Chergui. Thank you, teardrop, for reminding me of it the other day. I’ve worn it several times since you inspired me.

I saw a huge (600 ml.?) bottle of Sycomore on display in the window of Chanel at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. So impressive!

Have a good day.
    FEBRUARY PICKS

Arabie, Coromandel, Cuir de Russie, L’Heure Bleue, Madera, No. 19 Poudre, Tam Dao, Tea for Two, Tuberose Angelica, Un Bois Vanille,
    Currently wearing: Arabie by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Hello all,

I saw a huge (600 ml.?) bottle of Sycomore on display in the window of Chanel at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. So impressive!

Have a good day.
    Are you sure it wasn't a factice?
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

SOTE: V.O. by Jean Marc Sinan

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.