Code of Conduct

Default Schick Hydro Sense Cartridge Razor With Shock Absorber.

I bought a Schick Hydro Sense razor the other day out of curiosity, and used it to shave with Sukin Gel (this gel is as good as most of my good creams).The razor is five-blade, and the top of the cartridge can be flipped back so that the top of the blade can be used for accurate trimming of sideburns or to reach that hard to get spot under the nose.

First thing I didn't like was the shock absorber feature, which seemed to grate a bit as I shaved. So I pushed the button which disabled that feature, and the shave then felt better.

Next thing I noticed was that I didn't seem to be shaving very closely, despite going over shaved areas several times. And sure enough my facial hair grew back fairly quickly - this wet shave hadn't been much better than when I electric shave.

But I later thought about it, and remembered that I'd had the same problem with the original Schick Hydro - both it and now the Sense version put out a lot of lubricant goo, which doesn't work that well when one uses a really good cream or gel like Sukin.

So today I went and dug out a can of Schick Hydro Gel (which I don't like shaving with, compared to my regular creams), I applied it, and then got the sort of close shave with Sense that I had originally expected. And the good part was that I had zero alum stings, which indicates that absence of any micro-nicks.

As I use the Razorpit to extend blade life, this means that I will have to use the average canned shave cream or gel until the lubricant from this razor diminishes, whereupon I then switch back to using good creams.

I just think it's interesting that a good cartridge razor's lubricant winds up being incompatible with good creams when trying to get a good close shave.
    Regards,
    Renato

P.S. - If anyone replies, please don't tell me how much better DE razors are. I have a dozen of them and scores of DE blade brands, and am quite familiar with their use.

Update - I went and bought a can of Gillette Foam Shaving Mousse to try with this razor, just to see if the gooey lubricating cardtrige shaved better than when using the Schick Hydro gel.

It did.
    Last edited by Renato; 11th March 2019 at 07:58 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Schick Hydro Sense Cartridge Razor With Shock Absorber.

^^^ I find it interesting as well, mostly because I've never understood the exact purpose of those lubricating strips. SMH at the contortions of the marketplace with very expensive cartridges designed to work well only with the cheapest can-o-foam.

I hadn't even heard of the RazorPit so thanks for that.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.

splash or spray me

I never liked the lube strips since they were invented.

My goto disposable forever was the standard Good News, or the Good News Plus (with the pivot head) but then they put the daggum strip on those so I gave up.

Now I just cycle through whatever fancy blade is on sale, and I've used some Harry's and DSC as well.

I do generally use good cream, either Proraso or Baxter's.

I'll have to look into the Razor Pit. I have a light beard so blades last forever & they usually start to get rust spots on them before they are actually dull.

/AC

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    ^^^ I find it interesting as well, mostly because I've never understood the exact purpose of those lubricating strips. SMH at the contortions of the marketplace with very expensive cartridges designed to work well only with the cheapest can-o-foam.

I hadn't even heard of the RazorPit so thanks for that.
    Thanks, I suppose I should have added that I've only noticed this excess lubrication gooiness in Schick Hydro cartridges. Most other lubricating cartridges don't noticeably interfere with good creams when shaving.

The Razorpit procedure is that after shaving, one puts a little bit of cream or soap from brush on the Razorpit surface, and rub the cardtridge against it like when shaving a few times, wash the razor and let it dry with blade facing upwards. In my experience, it at least doubles the life of cartridges.
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post
    I never liked the lube strips since they were invented.

My goto disposable forever was the standard Good News, or the Good News Plus (with the pivot head) but then they put the daggum strip on those so I gave up.

Now I just cycle through whatever fancy blade is on sale, and I've used some Harry's and DSC as well.

I do generally use good cream, either Proraso or Baxter's.

I'll have to look into the Razor Pit. I have a light beard so blades last forever & they usually start to get rust spots on them before they are actually dull.

/AC
    It doesn't sound like you actually need the Razorpit, unless you were to one day favour less aggressive razors and want to extend their life.

The longest lasting cartridge razor I've come across are the Bic Flex five-blade disposables - my current one has gone three and a half months, and is still going strong (I used it in Italy for six weeks, without using the Razorpit over there). The downside is that it is very sharp and needs a good cream, and even then it is easier to get nicks and micro-nicks with it, compared to say the "sensitive" razors.
    Regards,
    Renato