Code of Conduct

Default 10 Designer Fragrances For Life YouTube. My findings after watching 56 different reviewers.

Hello all,

I know most of you aren't into the YouTube reviewers, but as I am just starting out, I like to watch them for entertainment/educational purposes. One guy started a "tag" series regarding the idea of keeping ten fragrances for life, if you could only keep ten, and were forced to throw out the rest. You could buy as many bottles of those ten as you wanted, but couldn't buy outside of that list.

I watched 56 different reviewers and noted the bottles being mentioned. Full disclaimer here. Some of these guys had very thick accents and did not write on screen the various bottles they held up, so if it was something I didn't recognize, I had to skip it. Additionally, some people didn't differentiate between EDT or EDP, so I added that vote to the one with the highest score at the time of watching the video. Some of them even stated that they didn't care if it was the EDP or EDT, it was the fragrance they wanted on the list. I attempted to separate these as much as I could, however. I do feel quite strongly that all the top ones are quite accurate though. You start recognizing bottles and a lot of them wrote on screen what they held up.

Instead of making a list of the 208 different fragrances that were listed (as stated there were more but I didn't know what they were talking about and no text was provided), I am just going to count down the top ten. There are a lot of ties in this. I will list all that came in at number ten, nine, eight, and so on. Without further ado...here we go.

10th place
    Versace Dylan Blue
    Hermes Terre D'Hermes
    Hermes Terre D'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Chanel Egoiste (Not platinum. I separated these two)
    Carolina Herrera CH Men

9th Place
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche
    Mugler Cologne
    Mugler Pure Malt
    Dior Homme Parfum
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

8th Place
    Valentino Uomo Intense

7th Place
    Prada L'Homme
    Mugler Pure Havane

6th Place
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme

5th Place
    Dior Sauvage
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Dior Homme

4th Place
    YSL La Nuit De L'Homme

3rd Place
    D&G The one (Please note that I made zero attempt to separate the EDT from the EDP for this particular fragrance. Initially, I wasn't even thinking about posting my findings and have heard about the performance of this not being the best, so I was thinking the EDP would be the one I would test, no matter the results. Having said that, it's the only fragrance I didn't try to separate by EDT/EDP)

2nd Place
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDP

1st Place
    Armani Acqua Di Gio Profumo. This fragrance had a commanding lead over eveything else, and Bleu De Chanel had a commanding lead over the stuff behind it in popularity. There were even more people listing this, if you add in all of the ones who had the gold trimmed "Special Blend" bottles. I did not add those numbers to the regular version, but note that if you consider them too similar to own both, then you can feel even more confident with your purchase. Profumo and Profumo Special Blend were listed more than anything else.
    Disclaimer: This is not scientific nor 100% accurate. It's just for fun and the best I could do. I hope you enjoy my findings, find them useful, or have fun making your own lists/discussing.

Thank you for reading!

-Dave

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: 10 Designer Fragrances For Life YouTube. My findings after watching 56 different reviewers.

Thank you for sharing the findings.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: 10 Designer Fragrances For Life YouTube. My findings after watching 56 different reviewers.

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    Hello all,

I know most of you aren't into the YouTube reviewers, but as I am just starting out, I like to watch them for entertainment/educational purposes. One guy started a "tag" series regarding the idea of keeping ten fragrances for life, if you could only keep ten, and were forced to throw out the rest. You could buy as many bottles of those ten as you wanted, but couldn't buy outside of that list.

I watched 56 different reviewers and noted the bottles being mentioned. Full disclaimer here. Some of these guys had very thick accents and did not write on screen the various bottles they held up, so if it was something I didn't recognize, I had to skip it. Additionally, some people didn't differentiate between EDT or EDP, so I added that vote to the one with the highest score at the time of watching the video. Some of them even stated that they didn't care if it was the EDP or EDT, it was the fragrance they wanted on the list. I attempted to separate these as much as I could, however. I do feel quite strongly that all the top ones are quite accurate though. You start recognizing bottles and a lot of them wrote on screen what they held up.

Instead of making a list of the 208 different fragrances that were listed (as stated there were more but I didn't know what they were talking about and no text was provided), I am just going to count down the top ten. There are a lot of ties in this. I will list all that came in at number ten, nine, eight, and so on. Without further ado...here we go.

10th place
    Versace Dylan Blue
    Hermes Terre D'Hermes
    Hermes Terre D'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Chanel Egoiste
    Carolina Herrera CH Men

9th Place
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche
    Mugler Cologne
    Mugler Pure Malt
    Dior Homme Parfum
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

8th Place
    Valentino Uomo Intense

7th Place
    Prada L'Homme
    Mugler Pure Havane

6th Place
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme

5th Place
    Dior Sauvage
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Dior Homme

4th Place
    YSL La Nuit De L'Homme

3rd Place
    D&G The one (Please note that I made zero attempt to separate the EDT from the EDP for this particular fragrance. Initially, I wasn't even thinking about posting my findings and have heard about the performance of this not being the best, so I was thinking the EDP would not be the one I test no matter the results. Having said that, it's the only fragrance I didn't try to separate by EDT/EDP)

2nd Place
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDP

1st Place
    Armani Acqua Di Gio Profumo. This fragrance had a commanding lead over eveything else, and Bleu De Chanel had a commanding lead over the stuff behind it in popularity. There were even more people listing this, if you add in all of the ones who had the gold trimmed "Special Blend" bottles. I did not add those numbers to the regular version, but note that if you consider them too similar to own both then you can feel even more confident with your purchase. Profumo and Profumo Special Blend were listed more than anything else.
    Disclaimer: This is not scientific nor 100% accurate. It's just for fun and the best I could do. I hope you enjoy my findings, find them useful, or have fun making your own lists/discussing.

Thank you for reading!

-Dave
    Quite interesting, though not surprising that the most widely advertised scents from the biggest companies filled the top places.
    Someone could do a lot worse than the top three in terms of quality to price ratio.

I wonder if the Bleu de Chanel response you received was actually for Bleu Parfum and not Bleu Eau de Parfum. It seems to get a much better reception and I can say that I would certainly keep it in my top 10 for life if I had to, but I wouldn't for the EDP.

Interesting research!

I was most surprised by Valentino Uomo Intense making it, and the fact that Dior Homme Intense wasn't even on the list.
    Currently wearing: Bleu Satin by MDCI

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I wonder if the Bleu de Chanel response you received was actually for Bleu Parfum and not Bleu Eau de Parfum. It seems to get a much better reception and I can say that I would certainly keep it in my top 10 for life if I had to, but I wouldn't for the EDP.
    You may very well be correct about this. In fact, I had smelled Bleu De Chanel EDT and EDP, but wasn't impressed enough to get a sample. However, I was on a sniffing excursion yesterday and the sales lady began talking to me about Bleu. I told her that I had smelled them previously and wasn't a big fan. She then proceeded to tell me about Bleu Parfum and sprayed it on a test strip for me. I sniffed at it for a bit and kept coming back to it. As it was drying down, it developed into something very nice IMO. I ended up getting a sample of it (after passing on the other two several times), for what it's worth.

Some of these guys were lazy about saying EDP/EDT/Parfum and so if I heard the word Parfum along with this fragrance, I chalked it up as the EDP. Embarrassingly, I have to admit that I didn't even realize a third variation of this existed until yesterday. As stated, my results aren't scientifically accurate, but I am still learning and did the best I could.

Thank you for posting this ranking.

Can personally agree with most of the names mentioned as some of the better, even best designers available today- based on their performance, their actual smell as much as their current ease of access on the fragrance market.
    Currently wearing: Santos by Cartier

Apart from a couple of gems, the list looks more like Designer Fragrances on Death Row, lol. Too many noteworthy omissions.

Interesting. Thank you for compiling this and sharing it.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Creed - Royal Oud
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Freed from BN Institution

Interesting, very informative.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

You may very well be correct about this. In fact, I had smelled Bleu De Chanel EDT and EDP, but wasn't impressed enough to get a sample. However, I was on a sniffing excursion yesterday and the sales lady began talking to me about Bleu. I told her that I had smelled them previously and wasn't a big fan. She then proceeded to tell me about Bleu Parfum and sprayed it on a test strip for me. I sniffed at it for a bit and kept coming back to it. As it was drying down, it developed into something very nice IMO. I ended up getting a sample of it (after passing on the other two several times), for what it's worth.

Some of these guys were lazy about saying EDP/EDT/Parfum and so if I heard the word Parfum along with this fragrance, I chalked it up as the EDP. Embarrassingly, I have to admit that I didn't even realize a third variation of this existed until yesterday. As stated, my results aren't scientifically accurate, but I am still learning and did the best I could.
    It's all good. It's confusing, especially in the beginning, when there's a fragrance with several variations whose names can only be distinguished by the addition or absence of one word.
    Currently wearing: Bleu Satin by MDCI

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Always interesting to see any statistical analysis. Thanks for sharing this. It does reinforce some of my preconceptions or YouTube reviewers.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Top 10 to stay away from... unless you want to smell like everyone else

I see that many here aren't fans of Youtube, but please note that there is an entirely separate "tag" series with the same question being asked. Only in that series, designer has been replaced with niche. I watched the designer series as I can find samples of designer stuff locally, easily, and generally for free. That, and I am sure niche fragrances are more expensive than your usual bottle of Armani, Dior, Mugler, ect.

I had to play to what I can get my hands on, and then realistically save up for, should I decide to buy a full bottle.

I understand that niche is an entirely new world, and I'm not opposed to it at all, but I can't afford something like Aventus or really anything that is much above the $100 range. Even then, I would be MUCH more selective than I am with my $25-$30 bottles. Not that I'm opposed to the idea of spending big bucks on fragrances. If I had the funds, or was wealthy enough, I am sure I would have bought a bottle of Aventus and GIT along with Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (I have worn this years ago. I had a small decant).

Having said that, I may watch through the niche series for fun at some point. I find all of this stuff very fascinating, to be honest. I even wander into the Aventus sub forum from time to time to poke around.

If you found this exercise fun and interesting...more power to you.

It appears you've confirmed, unsurprisingly, that the most popular ones are basically what's on the counters at typical department stores: the same ones with the advertising dollars behind them.

How does this advance your personal journey of discovery?
    "...the most expensive fragrances are those you hardly use."
    Diamondflame

Nice list! Thanks for sharing, although most of these are actually best-sellers and not necessarily something I would consider, like Bleu de Chanel since everyone smells like that nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post
    If you found this exercise fun and interesting...more power to you.

How does this advance your personal journey of discovery?
    Thank you.

For me, watching these helps me to learn what's out there. As I have never been this into fragrances before, I am not even aware of the existence of many fragrances. I have not ever stepped into a Sephora or really ever went to a perfume counter to explore fragrances prior to last month.

Sure, I've looked at testers here and there, but I was just doing the usual sniff 2-3 bottles and move on to my shopping. Not knowing what I was doing or giving it much thought.

Truhfully, I wasn't even aware of ubiquitous stuff like Sauvage, Fahrenheit, AdG Profumo, etc. All of my fragrance purchases had been done at discount retailers, and generally was just a re-up of Burberry Touch. After my teen years of going to parties, I rarely had a bottle of anything on hand.

I suppose you could put it simply as just poking around to aware myself as to what exists, as embarrassing as that it to admit.

I suppose you could put it simply as just poking around to aware myself as to what exists, as embarrassing as that it to admit.
    Sure. That's good and not embarrassing at all! You're seeing what's out there.

I'd also suggest that after covering that stuff, be sure to also poke around at many other designers and also fragrances often called "cheapies": that may not be as popular, but can be a source of enjoyment.
    "...the most expensive fragrances are those you hardly use."
    Diamondflame

I think it's very cool you took the time to put this together. Like you, I also watch a bunch of youtube reviewers for entertainment purposes. Watched enough video's from a handful of reviewers that I know their taste pretty well. Out of your list, I can say 3 of them would make my own top 10 list. Prada L'homme, Dior Homme and ADG Profumo.

Good exercise for someone just discovering this hobby. I too watched a lot of these top 10 lists (over a year ago now) and sank them into a spreadsheet. I'm just a spreadsheet kind of a guy. But yes, you do learn a lot with these lists, just make sure you do the niche ones as well. Then, sample sample sample. Good luck!

All of this are not even close to my 10 Designer Fragrances For Life list if I need to choose.
    Only maybe this 4 have a chance to get on the list.
    Dior Homme Parfum
    Dior Sauvage
    Dior Fahrenheit
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1985 - Derby de Guerlain
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    All of this are not even close to my 10 Designer Fragrances For Life list if I need to choose.
    Only maybe this 4 have a chance to get on the list.
    Dior Homme Parfum
    Dior Sauvage
    Dior Fahrenheit
    40% ain't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    40% ain't bad.
    i said: Only maybe
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1985 - Derby de Guerlain
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for putting in the time and effort to compile this list!

There’s a few solid fragrances listed in there.
    But then again, I think Acqua Di Gio is one of the grossest men’s fragrances ever made and I gag every time I smell it, so take my opinion with a grain of salt

(There’s 2 in there that would make my top 10, and 2 others that would make top 20)

IMO,

Dior Fahrenheit and Dior Eau Sauvage and Polo, historically, are pretty tough to beat. While I don't 'personally' consider these 'my' top-3, if I'm going by history, longevity, and brand, these 3 MUST be in any top-5 all-time list. The modern Dior Sauvage can be certainly included, but will it stand the test of time? Possibly, but since it's so new, it cannot seriously be in the top-5. AdG Profumo is standing on the shoulders of the DNA of the original AdG. I cannot place it higher than the version it came from, even though, again, personally, I think AdG Profumo is the better scent, it's not yet stood over time like the others.

I think Nautica Voyage is being WAY underrated here. I literally get asked what I'm wearing more with Nautica Voyage than any other summer scent. Perhaps it's the dry air here in Las Vegas that makes it so appealing? I would definitely include Nautica Voyage in a top-10 just on my personal experience with the scent being universally enjoyed by people caught in its sillage.

D&G The One not quite the stalwart Dior Homme is. Let's face facts. Even though I'm not huge into Dior, they've got the strongest lineup of All-Stars in the history of fragrance. If you're seriously making a top-10 of All-Time designers for life, then Dior holds no less than 4 of those spots. Dior Eau Sauvage, Dior Fahrenheit, Dior Homme, Dior Sauvage. That's pure fragrance dominance. Chanel has maybe 2 with Pour Monsieur EDT and Bleu de Chanel. Now, I'm not saying Egoiste isn't great, but it's not nearly as big a seller as those 2 historically, and neither was Anteaus or Allure. IMO, reasonably, only 2 Chanel scents make it into the top-10 designers from a mass-appeal perspective.

I think there are really two ways you can do this Top-10. Either by figuring out what the masses have adopted/bought the most or you make your own 'personal' Top-10.

IMO, my personal Top-10 Designers, at this point in time, and subject to change are:

1. Ralph Lauren - Safari
    2. Tommy Hilfiger Cologne
    3. Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP
    4. Nautica Voyage
    5. Acqua di Gio Profumo
    6. Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris (either EDT or EDP)
    7. Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Eau Intense
    8. Terre d'Hermes EDT
    9. Dolce & Gabbana The One
    10. Calvin Klein - Obsession for men

Honorable Mention:
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Homme (Could end up eventually in the Top-10 over time and push Obsession for men out of that 10th spot.)
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme (don't own...yet)
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme (don't own...yet)

If Tom Ford's Private Collection wasn't considered 'niche', then Neroli Portofino Forte would be in that Top-10.

Scents I consider 'overrated' and might not keep, but I still enjoy and respect:
    Chanel Egoiste (Maison Margiela's Jazz Club is likely going to end up replacing this one.)
    Bleu de Chanel (Dior Sauvage beats it, but Dior Sauvage does not receive an honorable mention status.)