Code of Conduct
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
o

Default Re: A new Dior Homme fragrance is on its way, apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Discounter websites and eBay sellers: anyone not beholden to recalls from Dior to return stock (like the brick and mortars).
    And hoping they don't ship you the new stuff when you've ordered the original version.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

FragFrog,

Now that you've been whipped up, maybe there will be less reckless speculation.
    The post you referenced was satirical as shown by the next post on that page.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Whether or not there is a change, someone will smell one and whip everyone up in the process.
    Everything is a new formulation on Basenotes.
    People get whipped up with speculation of change of appearance (box, bottle, liquid color), 5 minute subjective impressions of scent change from the first spray that comes out of the bottle thats been sitting in a plastic tube for months, or the dreaded FORMULA CODE, where its a deathknell for the fragrance and automatically becomes a "shell of its former self".

1st world problems we have here on Basenotes.
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

New DHP 100mL... go to Dior website Belgique
    It looks like DHI 100mL tbh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mogoj2002 View Post
    Now, that is quite interesting.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Megamav
    I've not been whipped up and I told you right after your claim about a new formulation that there is not a known such one for DHI.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    There is no new DHI afaik it just got a new packaging and bottle.
    And DHP is still in production.
    In regards to the reformulation talk - there are indeed differences smellwise between batches of the same formulation which may occur due to tolerances of natural ingredients. And even a new formulation code doesn't mean necessarly that the formula of the perfume oils have changed, too. It could be only one small fixative without huge impact on smell, a sunblocker or skincare ingredient or whatever...

I only trust my own nose and I just try to provide information here and that in the most honest way possible.
    We as customers are sitting in the same boat and if a very popular fragrance reviewer like Ashton who may have a big influence on fragcom members claims that the new DHI is reformulated I think it's legitimate for me to disagree with the hint that it may be in future (but it's not yet though it got the new bottle design).

I'm curious about the juice in the new DHP bottle.
    If it's the same juice as the old 75 ml DHP I guess Dior will bump up the price when it's in a 100 ml bottle now.
    On the German Dior website there's currently no price tag.

Today got an opportunity to try the new DH. It is lovely and classy.
    I got a small resemblance to Bleu de Chanel at the dry down. But at whole it smells in the style of woody fresh fragrances of mid 2000s. Chopard Poir Homme in a blue bottle came to mind first.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    And hoping they don't ship you the new stuff when you've ordered the original version.
    FragranceNet is good about showing the right picture. They even show differences in sizes and tester/retail boxes. You shouldn't have a problem with them. Or conversely, you can deal with eBay, where preemptive gouging and panic-buying has already started. I'd rather deal with FragranceNet or FragranceX anyway. Not the fastest shipping, but you get good service.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

FragranceNet is good about showing the right picture. They even show differences in sizes and tester/retail boxes. You shouldn't have a problem with them. Or conversely, you can deal with eBay, where preemptive gouging and panic-buying has already started. I'd rather deal with FragranceNet or FragranceX anyway. Not the fastest shipping, but you get good service.
    Good to know. Thanks, ZC.
    Especially after having tried the new Homme again today.....it's pretty awful. IMO. I'm definitely going to get a bottle of the original. The new stuff, never.

I'm not even a huge fanboy of the original, but I admit, it's excellent stuff. The new stuff, I predict, is going to flop. It's not mainstream enough and it's not going to be loved by enthusiasts. I'm probably wrong but I think it's gonna tank hard.
    Last edited by Danny Mitchell; 14th January 2020 at 05:24 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Or conversely, you can deal with eBay, where preemptive gouging and panic-buying has already started.
    Might be the right time to resell my silver stem bottle.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Might be the right time to resell my silver stem bottle.
    The silver stem was already carrying a premium because of purists/hardliners wanting the "real Dior Homme" et al. Sure, that will go up too in time, but the significant difference is anything "Dior Homme" that isn't the 2020 reboot or the European "Original" rebranding regardless of stem color will now also carry a similar premium.

I personally like Dior Homme a lot (and was able to Pink Panther myself some backups before the mob struck), but if I didn't have the cash to do so, I would have switched to Valentino Uomo because it has enough of the "Polge ionone iris/cacao" in it's makeup to scratch that itch, and I may buy a bottle of it anyway just for that reason.

This new Dior Homme though, it's good if you like a classic midcentury citrus/woods men's chypre reimagined with Iso E and cashmeran, and does pique my interest because of that postmodernist/revisionist collision, but is definitely not in the same league.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    Today got an opportunity to try the new DH. It is lovely and classy.
    I got a small resemblance to Bleu de Chanel at the dry down. But at whole it smells in the style of woody fresh fragrances of mid 2000s. Chopard Poir Homme in a blue bottle came to mind first.
    Yes, I got a first sniff today, and I liked it. It's exactly what you described - fresh woody, and I would add, with an appealing old-school citric transparency and a touch of spiciness that is just the right level to tantalize. I see it as a retreat from both the current 2010-2020 "opaque fresh woody" (BdC) and the 2005-2015 "guyris/candy dandy" (old DH, O. Polge gender benders, Prada men's) genres.

New twist on old school. I want to own both Dior Homme frags. This one is more effortlessly me, the previous one more outgoing and risqué.

This one would grab much less attention and cash as an Eau For Men reformulation. What Dior is doing is a smart move, IMO. Swap in the New Retro for the casual buyer, while trolling the "fragcomm" world so an extra percentage sees a would-be flanker as a must-have, or at least a "must-sniff".

Meanwhile, Dior grabs hold of the emerging Zara trend of currency as exclusivity, while not angering the fans of the older version with too quick an abandonment.

Dior! Faithless lover! Please take my money!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Basenotes Plus

The silver stem was already carrying a premium because of purists/hardliners wanting the "real Dior Homme" et al. Sure, that will go up too in time, but the significant difference is anything "Dior Homme" that isn't the 2020 reboot or the European "Original" rebranding regardless of stem color will now also carry a similar premium.

I personally like Dior Homme a lot (and was able to Pink Panther myself some backups before the mob struck), but if I didn't have the cash to do so, I would have switched to Valentino Uomo because it has enough of the "Polge ionone iris/cacao" in it's makeup to scratch that itch, and I may buy a bottle of it anyway just for that reason.

This new Dior Homme though, it's good if you like a classic midcentury citrus/woods men's chypre reimagined with Iso E and cashmeran, and does pique my interest because of that postmodernist/revisionist collision, but is definitely not in the same league.
    Yeah, it's like choosing between a good version of something I don't like and a bad version of something I do. Fortunately, I have no shortage of classic men's chypres, and perhaps someday I'll find something with an opening comparable to the original DH that doesn't quickly devolve to vanilla ice cream.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Yeah, it's like choosing between a good version of something I don't like and a bad version of something I do. Fortunately, I have no shortage of classic men's chypres, and perhaps someday I'll find something with an opening comparable to the original DH that doesn't quickly devolve to vanilla ice cream.
    I just imagined a panicked mob fighting over tubs of ice cream like the movie The Stuff.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I just imagined a panicked mob fighting over tubs of ice cream like the movie The Stuff.
    Amazing movie.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Amazing movie.
    Replace every tub of The Stuff with a bottle of Aventus and the movie's plot still works. I don't think Dior Homme 2020 will have that kind of pull at least.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Replace every tub of The Stuff with a bottle of Aventus and the movie's plot still works. I don't think Dior Homme 2020 will have that kind of pull at least.
    Totally agreed. Even Viking was only 1/8 Stuff by my reckoning!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yes, I got a first sniff today, and I liked it. It's exactly what you described - fresh woody, and I would add, with an appealing old-school citric transparency and a touch of spiciness that is just the right level to tantalize. I see it as a retreat from both the current 2010-2020 "opaque fresh woody" (BdC) and the 2005-2015 "guyris/candy dandy" (old DH, O. Polge gender benders, Prada men's) genres.

New twist on old school. I want to own both Dior Homme frags. This one is more effortlessly me, the previous one more outgoing and risqué.

This one would grab much less attention and cash as an Eau For Men reformulation. What Dior is doing is a smart move, IMO. Swap in the New Retro for the casual buyer, while trolling the "fragcomm" world so an extra percentage sees a would-be flanker as a must-have, or at least a "must-sniff".

Meanwhile, Dior grabs hold of the emerging Zara trend of currency as exclusivity, while not angering the fans of the older version with too quick an abandonment.

Dior! Faithless lover! Please take my money!
    And by the way it has a very strong vetiver note in the base that strongly reminds me of Gierlain Homme Boisee... I don't get the hate for new Dior Homme at all. I'm sure it will be a best seller as it is done very well.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

And by the way it has a very strong vetiver note in the base that strongly reminds me of Gierlain Homme Boisee... I don't get the hate for new Dior Homme at all. I'm sure it will be a best seller as it is done very well.
    That comparison (GHEB) bodes well for it to eventually catch on here. Vetiver almost can't lose on Basenotes.

Freed from BN Institution

I wonder why it's on the bottle and not on the bottle like the Dior Homme?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Angélique Encens by Creed

Basenotes Plus

I don't get the hate for new Dior Homme at all.
    There probably wouldn't be much hate (there's always some, it seems) had they not named it "Dior Homme." Look how bent out of shape people got at the first reformulation. I'm sure there's some sort of logic to this bait-and-switch tactic, but it seems disrespectful of loyal customers, and a rather cowardly way to introduce a new fragrance. That it may smell perfectly fine for what it is is beside the point.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I'm sure it will be a best seller as it is done very well.
    Will get around to picking up a bottle one of these days.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

So, I have been attempting to decipher this fragrance, and it is proving elusive. What I AM getting so far is peppery, airy, vetiver, and something in the heart that reminds me of violet. What I do smell is pleasant, and the longevity on it is quite high. It seems Dior, with Sauvage and this are making a push to make their fragrances last a long time, which is cool. I have been feeling like the opening has something tinny and aerosolish in feel making it kind of pop, but from behind a curtain, if that makes any sense. I never thought it smelled bad, but I was not a fan because it seems exceedingly light to me. I feel like moderation is key, and also that I can smell it better if I try not to. It seems to be diffusive and smell good in the air, with a hearty push. It feels like one of those cases of the fragrance blooming after it gets some air in it, though I don't know if something so highly synthetic would really need that. More than likely it is my nose becoming accustomed to it, and brain sorting out the puzzle that the nose is sending it. Its growing on me. Could we expedite this into the directory? I'm eager to log a wearing, and hear it savaged by the mob.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    So, I have been attempting to decipher this fragrance, and it is proving elusive. What I AM getting so far is peppery, airy, vetiver, and something in the heart that reminds me of violet. What I do smell is pleasant, and the longevity on it is quite high. It seems Dior, with Sauvage and this are making a push to make their fragrances last a long time, which is cool. I have been feeling like the opening has something tinny and aerosolish in feel making it kind of pop, but from behind a curtain, if that makes any sense. I never thought it smelled bad, but I was not a fan because it seems exceedingly light to me. I feel like moderation is key, and also that I can smell it better if I try not to. It seems to be diffusive and smell good in the air, with a hearty push. It feels like one of those cases of the fragrance blooming after it gets some air in it, though I don't know if something so highly synthetic would really need that. More than likely it is my nose becoming accustomed to it, and brain sorting out the puzzle that the nose is sending it. Its growing on me. Could we expedite this into the directory? I'm eager to log a wearing, and hear it savaged by the mob.
    I could imagine that if they remake Dior Homme Intense, they will enhance the vetiver note and the fragrance will become closer to Encre Noire / Terre d'Hermes/

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I had this feeling the first time I tried it but did somewhat of a 180 upon another wear. I'll give it another go in the next couple weeks.

User of Toilet Water

New DHP 100mL...
    Can we at least all now agree that it hasn't been discontinued?

I sure hope the formula code hasn't changed or we'll never hear the end of it.

Found the best way to describe this new DH2020: It lacks emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by FragrA(nce)ddict View Post
    I'll second that.

To be bored or underwhelmed is an emotion too.

Quote Originally Posted by FragrA(nce)ddict View Post
    It is probably that Violet/musky Narciso Rodriguez For Him EDT opening, which resembles a gloomy and sad wet concrete.

i would even say Sauvage is better than this. mic drop (world is gonna end today)
    Top 10 Seasonal Favorites - Fall 2019:
    Roja Creation E Parfum (Enigma)
    Roja Sweetie Aoud
    Roja F&M the Exclusive Perfume
    Roja Fetish
    Xerjoff Alexandria Orientale
    Xerjoff Naxos
    Xerjoff Uden Overdose
    Initio - Rehab
    Parfums de Marly Herod
    Dior Homme Parfum

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast