Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Has there ever been another men's frag that had the impact Aventus has?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Agreed. Non of my friends and family have ever heard of Creed..
    +1. Been wearing and into fragrances for 25 years and never heard of Creed until I joined BN about 4 years ago. When I first heard about the brand, I first thought why would a crappy rock band would put out a fragrance? Lol

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Default Re: Has there ever been another men's frag that had the impact Aventus has?

Oh man, so many way more famous and impactful fragrances.

Polo
    Antaeus
    Fahrenheit
    Cool Water
    Le Male
    Old Spice
    Acqua di Gio
    CK One

EVERYONE knows what these smell like.
    Not a lot of people know what Aventus is, let alone what it smells like.
    It has not even reached the status the above fragrances have.

When everyone and their dog wears it, we can talk again.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    If you know me personally you’ll know my intention is never to offend but if somethings on my mind and has to be said I’m gonna say it. Too much of the time people beat around the bush and never say what they mean any more and unfortunately the forum has that kind of atmosphere about it a lot of the time.

So many of the opinions about fragrance I come across are often written by people that have little to no experience with said fragrance but they speak about it like they created the composition themselves. A sample or full bottle isn’t the point - talking about a fragrance after one or two wears dilutes the gravity a review can carry following a more intimate knowledge from using it for some time. If I wanted to know about Gengis Khan I would seek out hednic’s words, or Chuck for Polo Green or Jack Hunter for Lauder For Men if I hadn’t worn the fragrance myself.

The experience gleaned by taking a car for a test drive doesn't compare with the experience of someone that owns the car and drives it daily. Whilst I understand it isn’t always viable to write a review after say 6 months of getting to know something the review would be so much more beneficial and of vaue to the community as a whole. I saw Denzel Washington speak some time ago with a ‘jourmalist’. His sentiment was that everyone reporting news just wants to be first in reporting and it doesn't seem to matter if its true but to just get it out there. Its the same kind of problem where most are becoming a jack of all trades and master of none. I guess its just a sign of the times and my intention wasn't for you to get the brunt of my frustration but I don’t like people getting a bashing, whether I agree with their ethos or not, when its unjustified.

Unfortunately it gets tiresome reading a guy (or girls) review of a single karate class they took as an in-depth dissertation on the matter. For a first impression...cool knock yourself out, but to get up and speak as a professor? No.
    You also have no real way to verify how long or how many times I or anyone have worn anything since unless you are stalking each and every person to verify their activity offline, you can't take at face value the first time they mention it here until present, nor the number of recorded uses, as the duration of time they've known a fragrance or number of times they've worn it. I see your point, but I reject your gatekeeping on the grounds that everyone understands things at different speeds. Somebody can eat the same sandwich for a year strait and never really get in depth about why they like bologna so damn much.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Aventus is surely one of -- if not the -- most popular Niche-Prestige fragrances in recent history and it's certainly been influential. Heck, it was one of the first things I got a decant of last year (and I have to admit I really liked it) when I started getting into fragrances, because everyone seemed to be talking about it. But my bet would be that most people haven't heard of it.

"Back in the day" EVERYONE had heard of mass-appeal designer fragrances like Old Spice, Canoe, Brut, and Polo. I doubt there was a single suburban block in America from the early 60s to the early 80s where a resident Dad didn't own one of those.

There were other popular frags too -- those are just the ones that leap to memory.

Judging by the size of their massive ad campaigns that even nonafficionados such as much myself noticed, Eternity, CK One, and Acqua di Gio were massively popular, as well....
    This is my Opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    Currently wearing: British Sterling by Dana

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    You also have no real way to verify how long or how many times I or anyone have worn anything since unless you are stalking each and every person to verify their activity offline, you can't take at face value the first time they mention it here until present, nor the number of recorded uses, as the duration of time they've known a fragrance or number of times they've worn it. I see your point, but I reject your gatekeeping on the grounds that everyone understands things at different speeds. Somebody can eat the same sandwich for a year strait and never really get in depth about why they like bologna so damn much.
    I’ve got no interest in verifying whether someone has used something or not. My point was that if you have enough people that give their own review based on a decent amount of experience and familiarity with something, readers can make up their own mind about pursuing further if its of enough interest to them. With enough reviews, the variety of understanding of the reviewers will give a well-rounded view. No interest in gatekeepers either, badges or not. You get my point.
    If you spend enough time with something you will inevitably familiarise yourself with its nuances, albeit at differing rates to someone else.

Basenotes Plus

I never made it past Corel Print House 98
    But you're an r-Teest!
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    I’ve got no interest in verifying whether someone has used something or not. My point was that if you have enough people that give their own review based on a decent amount of experience and familiarity with something, readers can make up their own mind about pursuing further if its of enough interest to them. With enough reviews, the variety of understanding of the reviewers will give a well-rounded view. No interest in gatekeepers either, badges or not. You get my point.
    If you spend enough time with something you will inevitably familiarise yourself with its nuances, albeit at differing rates to someone else.
    Then why are we arguing about the validity of my (or anyone's) "dissertations" in this thread? Reviews, for all their usefullness as "Snapshot of what X or Y thinks about Z perfume", we learn more about the fragrances we are interested in by discussing them in threads like this, whether a person has a deep thought on their mind, or a cheesy one liner/cheap shot. Your preferences over what you see as an acceptable perspective on something you love (or conversely hate) are your own, but your intial phrasing was implying others shouldn't participate without meeting what you think are the necessary requirements to have an opinion on the topic. You can disagree with my assessment of Aventus (or anyone's), and chalk up its success or lack thereof to pixie dust and swamp gas (and if you did, I'd have a giggle with you), but the invalidation was the core of my rebuttal (intentional or not).

I don't think anyone would disagree Aventus is the biggest niche/prestige masculine success in recent history, I was just trying to put it into perspective of all masculine perfume in modern history, which frames it as an anomaly, albeit a really good-smelling one. Don't think Creed is gonns replicate its success anytime soon either.

Cheers!

There's nothing new I can add to this discussion, but I'd like to weigh in anyway.

I an very new to this community and prior to last month, I hadn't even heard of some popular staples such as Sauvage, AdG Profumo (I knew about regular AdG a long time ago however), or D&G The One. I had heard about Aventus before but I have never smelled it, nor seen a bottle of it in real life. Oddly, I have actually worn GIT in the past. Years ago, some guy (on a non-fragrance related forum) was singing it's praises and he sent me (along with other forum regulars) some to try. At the time, I had no idea of the Creed brand other than that. I also had no idea of the "status symbol" reputation of Creed fragrances.

Once I started to dive into the fragrance community, it seemed like there was endless chatter about Aventus, the various clones it has, different batches, etc. IMO, outside of the fragrance community circle, I don't think many people have heard of it.

On the other hand, stuff such as AdG, Cool Water, Drakkar Noir, Tommy and Tommy Girl, CK One and Be, Burberry Touch and London, 1 Million, White Diamonds, Brut, Cool Water for Women, Old Spice, and various celebrity fragrances were what I had heard of, smelled, or tried prior to last month. Sadly, even several fragrances on this list I have either never smelled or it was so long ago I cannot even begin to tell you what they smell like. Then again, I wasn't wealthy growing up and only had a few close friends who's parents were better off. Not what I would consider extremely wealthy, but definitely very comfortable anyway.

My thoughts on Aventus are that I really want to try it. I want to see what all the hype is about. I do see it as the Rolex or Mercedes Benz of the fragrance community though. Just one of those things that you can buy to announce to the world that "you've made it". Trust me when I say that I make that statement with zero ill will toward those who purchase such items. I too, aspire to one day be able to drive a Mercedes Benz with my Rolex watch and Aventus on...along with hopping out with Allen Edmonds shoes and a custom suit from Saville Row.

For right now, it's Casio, Ford Fiesta ST, Burberry, Dockers shoes, and JC Penny suit separates. LOL!

I'm also pretty sure Creed didn't even intend this weird social psychology experiment since the majority of guys placing Aventus on a pedestal are the kind of guys Creed would never have intended to target, as they've made it clear with their own limited marketing that they're after the captains of industry or whatnot. Furthermore, Creed likely didn't intend the kind of cultural impact Aventus is being charged with any more than they intended inspiring a new genre of fragrance with Green Irish Tweed.
    It's interesting to note that on the shaving forums, GIT discussions are pretty darn common, and have been for a long time. I never heard of Aventus until I started watching Youtube frag reviewers.
    Currently wearing: Deep Woods by Avon

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    Ford Fiesta ST
    I wish I could justify that as my daily driver.

I will say I disliked Aventus after my very first initial sniffs 4 years ago. However, I hadn't smelled a whole lot at that point. Add to that the growing, incessant hype and I was turned off by the fragrance in general. Then I smelled it again a year later and was taken aback by how good it actually is. Irrespective of the hype and inconsistencies (I actually like the batch variations to an extent), it's simply a fantastic fragrance. It embodies both freshness and masculinity to my nose in an exceedingly pleasing manner. Aventus is like some hopelessly popular band that just happens to write exceedingly great songs. If Sauvage is Nickelback, Aventus is The Killers. GIT is Journey

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    It's interesting to note that on the shaving forums, GIT discussions are pretty darn common, and have been for a long time. I never heard of Aventus until I started watching Youtube frag reviewers.
    GIT strikes me as making a good shaving smell because of the verbena. I should try it with my decant. (FB pending after my vintage backup is done)

Blog Entries

Well.. I dunno if it's demographic or weather or what, where I live in central Florida, Aventus is widely popular among everyone from high school kids, to doctors in hospitals. I doubt any of them are BN'ers or follow Youtube Fragcom, or maybe they all do.. who knows. I've seen it in every high end department store I've been in since 2012 or so, when it really started to peak in sales.

A lot of the other frags being mentioned certainly have a legacy, they've been big sellers for decades. Creed Aventus is considered one of the the 10 best sellers ever, and is not even 10 years old yet.

The real reason behind this post is sort of selfish. I wanted to gather up the results based on researched statistics, not opinions, and then find the vintage formulation(s) of those frags, and travel back in time. Since there are no time machines, and I can only watch stuff on the internet.. I can gather a lot from a scent of a time, without even being there, some of you might know what I mean, others might think I'm crazy. It's a feeling more than anything. It helps me fill in the gaps for what I've missed before my time.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    I wish I could justify that as my daily driver.
    People make fun of my little car, unless they get a chance to drive it. I have taken a lot of flack because people hear the word Fiesta and miss the ST part, due to laughing at me.I wish that were a joke, but it's completely true.

I like my car, but to be honest, buying it is a mistake I regret. I went to the dealership just to look at it after realizing that it was a sporty version of the Fiesta. Next thing I knew, they were offering me 1.9% interest on it. I had never purchased a brand new car in my life, and this one had all the trimmings (leather trimmed heated racing seats, 6 speed, built in GPS, satellite radio, voice controls, cool interior lighting that you can select the color of, moon roof, etc)...I got caught up in the excitement and signed my life away. I don't regret owning the car, I just regret buying a brand new one. The depreciation on a new car is ridiculous, to say the least. I have learned my lesson and will continue to drive it long after it's paid off. In fact, I always say that I will dive it until the wheels fall off. LOL! Admittedly, it has taken a bit of a beating, being my only car. This would be best served to use a garage queen that only gets taken out occasionally, and for fun.

On topic:

The fragrance community seems very inviting to me. This forum anyway, as I haven't spent much time reading the other fragrance forum I found, I cannot speak about it. I will have to register there one day and poke around more though. I understand that there is a bit of "flexing" from time to time when it comes to Aventus (I am guessing that comes with the batch variations), but I haven't had anyone be rude or dismiss me on here for not owning expensive bottles. In fact, it's been quite the opposite experience for me. Everyone seems very friendly and ready to help.

I see a lot of great advice being given in the Starting Out section of the forum, and read many of those threads for that very reason. If there is snobbery out there in the fragrance world, I have not experienced it here. I have seen it on YouTube a bit, but that was more drama than snobbery IMO. I like my new found hobby, and when the day comes, I will get a decant or sample of Aventus and give it a go. Yes, I have admittedly been pre-programmed from the fragrance community to expect it to be great, but I will try to remain as objective as possible when I get the chance to give it a wear.

Basenotes Plus

I'm really not one to be glib and snarky here, but every time I re-read the title to this thread I find it more hilarious, for all the reasons already well-explicated by various posters here.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Well.. I dunno if it's demographic or weather or what, where I live in central Florida, Aventus is widely popular among everyone from high school kids, to doctors in hospitals. I doubt any of them are BN'ers or follow Youtube Fragcom, or maybe they all do.. who knows. I've seen it in every high end department store I've been in since 2012 or so, when it really started to peak in sales.

A lot of the other frags being mentioned certainly have a legacy, they've been big sellers for decades. Creed Aventus is considered one of the the 10 best sellers ever, and is not even 10 years old yet.

The real reason behind this post is sort of selfish. I wanted to gather up the results based on researched statistics, not opinions, and then find the vintage formulation(s) of those frags, and travel back in time. Since there are no time machines, and I can only watch stuff on the internet.. I can gather a lot from a scent of a time, without even being there, some of you might know what I mean, others might think I'm crazy. It's a feeling more than anything. It helps me fill in the gaps for what I've missed before my time.
    Where did you hear or read this ? That would really surprise me, considering...

ADG, Dior Fahrenheit, Bleu, le Male, Issey Miyake, Eternity, Polo, Drakkar, CK One, Eau Sauvage, Azzaro, 1 Million, Boss Bottled, Cool Water, ...etc.

I won't even consider the drug store cheapie like English Leather.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Although I think Aventus is a masterpiece, I really like other fragrances from the house. For me the current issue I have with cheaper colognes is that they all smell very artificial and synthetic and that is not the case with perfumes from Creed.

For me, being inexperienced, the only one that comes close in terms of boldness and ingredients is Tom Ford. The likes of Sauvage and Bleu smell so synthetic to me that is so off putting.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Yeah, I'd love for OP to back up this statement with some actual facts or figures - just because one considers it does not make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    To answer the question: in Finland no one knows Aventus and I have never smelled it on anyone. Here Acqua di Gio, Le Male and Sauvage have been the most successful and impactful fragrances of this millennium.
    Whilst agreeing with your general view the nitpicker in me feels it necessary to mention that in Helsinki banking and business circles I'm starting to notice Aventus popping up. Granted Sauvage seems to be more common though

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Mandom by Mandom

Attachment 95460
    Here's my bottle for the Nintendo Seal of Quality on my opinion.
    Ok, but let's see a Red Dragon wearing glasses holding and spraying it, just to be sure it's really you.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I'm really not one to be glib and snarky here, but every time I re-read the title to this thread I find it more hilarious, for all the reasons already well-explicated by various posters here.
    "Frag Bros" is one of the funniest-sounding names for a group of people I've heard in quite a while :-D
    This is my Opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    Currently wearing: British Sterling by Dana

Paco rabbane for homme.
    Currently wearing: Good Life by Davidoff

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calitrav View Post
    Ok, but let's see a Red Dragon wearing glasses holding and spraying it, just to be sure it's really you.
    I never kiss and tell.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by MattJP View Post
    Sure... Brut
    This is what I was going to add to the mix. The conversation at my OH's folks' house turned towards perfumes the other day. Some of the men were talking about what was popular when they were growing up and it tended towards;

"Paco Rabanne...no, no. Brut!" - after which they had a lengthy discussion about using Brut for the first time, what the smell reminded them of, going to school smelling of too much Brut... etc.

For me Sheik Yerbouti's posts have nailed it better than I ever could

People seem to be conflating popularity with impact, I mean how can you possible compare Sauvage, Invictus or other crap fragrances with Aventus (which remember has it's own sub-forum).

And please stop saying ' Well no-one has heard of it round here'. It's a niche product fer chrissakes it's not something you can pull from a shelf in Boots or Walmart -- it is incumbent on every single basenoter to seek it out and at least test it.

I realise the price is ridiculous and prohibitive but Creed have made an absolute fortune with it, so the impact for them has been enormous.

Didn't Pure Malt have its own subforum as well though because fanboys (and/or shills) got out of hand?

I'll test it again one day but I just thought, "yeah, it's nice" whilst my girlfriend called it flat out rubbish and that was basically it.

I was surprised to hear some LBC radio presenter mention Aventus as I hadn't heard anybody talk about if outside of BN. The guy pretty much presents in a comedic style, so I thought at first he's making fun of it but I think he actually likes it. Whilst that pretty much renders it a fragrance now popular with dad type presenters who work for a radio station that's mostly reserved for ranting about Brexit and Daily Mail hot topics, it wasn't Farage who has a daily show there. I believe it was Steve Allen, looking at their list of presenters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Caron Pour un Homme didn't originate masculine perfume either
    Do tell... what did?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Gardener View Post
    Do tell... what did?
    Blood of the enemy!
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Blood of the enemy!
    Whooo, yeah I was forgetting that Mouchoir de Monsieur

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post

ADG, Dior Fahrenheit, Bleu, le Male, Issey Miyake, Eternity, Polo, Drakkar, CK One, Eau Sauvage, Azzaro, 1 Million, Boss Bottled, Cool Water, ...etc.

I won't even consider the drug store cheapie like English Leather.
    A simple Google search.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Didn't Pure Malt have its own subforum as well though because fanboys (and/or shills) got out of hand?

I'll test it again one day but I just thought, "yeah, it's nice" whilst my girlfriend called it flat out rubbish and that was basically it.

I was surprised to hear some LBC radio presenter mention Aventus as I hadn't heard anybody talk about if outside of BN. The guy pretty much presents in a comedic style, so I thought at first he's making fun of it but I think he actually likes it. Whilst that pretty much renders it a fragrance now popular with dad type presenters who work for a radio station that's mostly reserved for ranting about Brexit and Daily Mail hot topics, it wasn't Farage who has a daily show there. I believe it was Steve Allen, looking at their list of presenters.
    I think Pure Malt was just insanely popular on BN and such. I turned a few people who couldn't find it in local department stores onto it by telling them where to order it from, they both love the fragrance. I don't remember Pure Malt ever having its own sub forum, but I do remember this, LIDGE, and DHI being the biggest talk on here for many years. All 3 were kind of hard to get at this time too, since supply was lower than demand.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast