Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Default Re: Has there ever been another men's frag that had the impact Aventus has?

I might ask the question - has there ever been a cologne so unbelievably overhyped and undeserving of the praise as Aventus - but that's just me.

Default Re: Has there ever been another men's frag that had the impact Aventus has?

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I might ask the question - has there ever been a cologne so unbelievably overhyped and undeserving of the praise as Aventus - but that's just me.
    Well there is a ton of hype, but a good bit is deserved. From the time I started wearing it, it would produce the most emphatic compliments from people, who were very enthusiastic in their praise. A gentleman at my church with a learning disability told me that "somebody sure smells good" when I wore it once. He had no agenda...he's like an innocent child. People in stores, offices, you name it, they loved the stuff. I will say it has been a couple of years since I had a compliment on it. Different batch? Actually, yes. My current is the ZZ01. My first bottle was one of the initial batches.

Because of how good I smelled in Aventus, my sister-in-law bought her husband a bottle for Christmas this year.

Overall, it is the biggest hit I've had in the last 10 years, along with Terre d'Hermes and Dior Homme.

That one would get locked before it reached the sub forum. ( Though it's a more realistic question )

The thread question is terribly flawed: in presuming Aventus had the impact he claims. Additionally, he shows himself to be a bit sensitive to push-back and excessively aggressive in response.

Aventus is a nice scent. There's a lot of nice scents out there.
    I scream "Merry Eiffel Tower High"
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage

Tobacco Vanille, but that's another thread.

Aventus is actually a very nice scent.
    Currently wearing: Arso by Profumum

Aventus is not a society impacting scent, but it is the most "head whipping" scent I've ever had besides Kouros and maybe GIT. People react strongly and quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Well there is a ton of hype, but a good bit is deserved. From the time I started wearing it, it would produce the most emphatic compliments from people, who were very enthusiastic in their praise. A gentleman at my church with a learning disability told me that "somebody sure smells good" when I wore it once. He had no agenda...he's like an innocent child. People in stores, offices, you name it, they loved the stuff. I will say it has been a couple of years since I had a compliment on it. Different batch? Actually, yes. My current is the ZZ01. My first bottle was one of the initial batches.

Because of how good I smelled in Aventus, my sister-in-law bought her husband a bottle for Christmas this year.

Overall, it is the biggest hit I've had in the last 10 years, along with Terre d'Hermes and Dior Homme.

Aventus is not a society impacting scent, but it is the most "head whipping" scent I've ever had besides Kouros and maybe GIT. People react strongly and quickly.
    Interesting to hear your real-world reactions, thanks. It was getting so much hype online when I started researching fragrances last year that buying a decant of it to see what all the fuss was about was pretty high on my list. I have to say I quite liked it, but not so much that I felt like spending $300 on a bottle of it when I liked TDH just as much. I don't recall any unsolicited comments on it, but the handful of options I went out of my way to solicit were all positive, for whatever that's worth.

Well, except for the wife of an actor I'm hoping to work with sometime (Walton Goggins) -- she doesn't like fragrances of any kind (I know right, she says she's allergic to them or something), so I guess I won't be gifting him a bottle of it :-D
    This is my Opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    Currently wearing: British Sterling by Dana

Around 90% of men have 0 or 1 fragrance in France, because they don't care/don't need it, and most of them have mass market fragrances. Men who have more than 3-4 fragrances fall under 1-2%. Aventus (and niche fragrances in general) have much less impact than most designer fragrances.

Aventus is a big seller in the niche category. It has a huge impact among the fragrance geeks, which are yet a minority. you can't compare it to designer fragrances. I've worn aventus since 2013, when i tell the name, no one knows that fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    To answer the question: in Finland no one knows Aventus and I have never smelled it on anyone. Here Acqua di Gio, Le Male and Sauvage have been the most successful and impactful fragrances of this millennium.
    This is an accurate statement about the United States here too. But the objective quality of Aventus is a head turner. Whether I wear Dior or Chanel, maybe Gucci, the moment I wear Aventus, I have walked into a room, no one knows what it is, but they say time after time, "You smell incredible." Status, yes, that's in the mix. Self confidence, prestige by a product name, that too. But when the scent's on my skin , suddenly people that never speak are greeting me with, "Hey good morning, what did you do???"
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post
    @The_Cologneist- may I ask a question relevant to the thread, so we can gauge where your perspective is coming from?

How old are you, and how long have you been into fragrances?

(I’m 40. Been into them ever since I was a little kid, as my grandpa was an og fragrance enthusiast).
    I'm 34, and have been into fragrances since I was very young. My mother used to buy me big bottles of Ralph Lauren Chaps splash on at Kmart because they were always on sale, guess nobody bought them lol. One time I poured a whole bottle down the sink just to get my mom to buy me a new fragrance lol. Now, regretfully, I miss my bottles of Chaps, as they are discontinued and priced far above retail. I was probably about 11 or 12 at the time, ya imagine a kid in 1995 wearing Chaps lol, that was me. After that I remember owning Gravity, and Navy for men.. which propelled me to my high school collection. I wore Tommy often, it was really popular when I was in high school, Polo Sport, Cool Water, Fahrenheit, and Hugo. i always loved Fahrenheit, but I stopped wearing it often as my collection grew, but I always have had a bottle in my collection, for as long as I can remember, this one has been a staple for me, and is what I would consider my signature fragrance.

When I got out of high school and started working full time and going to college part time, I was always getting compliments from people on my fragrances. This was in 2003, I was wearing mostly 212 by CH.. I always got a ton of feedback from it, and started talking to a lot of girls. It was definitely a confidence booster. I remember a couple years later going to the mall with a friend, and we were at the fragrance counter at Macy's which was then called Burdine's here. I wound up buying Polo Double Black, DKNY Be Delicious, DKNY Red Delicious, Dunhill Desire, a big 6.8 oz Fahrenheit, 2 Paris Hilton frags, and a couple others. My tab came to around $800. This was the day I knew I had an addiction. I love fragrances, and I love smelling good. I grew tired of buying frags at the mall, especially if I was gonna buy them often, so I started to go to TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshall's Burlington, etc. I remember getting a bottle of Gucci Envy at Burlington for $20! I hated it at the time I bought it, it was a blind buy, so I gave it to my friends dad. Another thing I am regretting now. Before I knew it, I had 50 or so bottles, a lot of obscure stuff, like I dunno, Parah for men? Most people haven't even heard of it, but it was a gem! What really brought me to BN: There were bottles of Magnetism at TJ Maxx for $25, which for me, was steep back then, especially with a growing collection, I knew I had a buying problem. I bought it anyways, and this was the one that changed it all for me. I couldn't believe the smell. It was like nothing I had ever smelled before, I was astonished, amazed. I ventured out on the internet looking for more wild ones like this, more unorthodox stuff.. that's when I stumbled upon Basenotes from a Google search back in 2009, reading a thread on unique fragrances. I didn't join the site until 2010.

I then found a whole world of people with collections as big as mine, if not far larger, and I felt right at home. Since Basenotes, my fragrance wardrobe has expanded exponentially.

It's funny how you remember certain things, your first car, your first love, you first fragrance. Sorry if I went a little too much into it there.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

Good old Chaps! I used to have a bottle of it in my middle school semi-preppy days in the early 80s.
    I'm sorry to hear it was only worth pouring down the drain by the mid-90s, lol
    It's definitely one I want to smell again one of these days, just for nostalgia's sake....
    This is my Opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    Currently wearing: British Sterling by Dana

Quote Originally Posted by Oki-Ni View Post
    Around 90% of men have 0 or 1 fragrance in France, because they don't care/don't need it, and most of them have mass market fragrances. Men who have more than 3-4 fragrances fall under 1-2%. Aventus (and niche fragrances in general) have much less impact than most designer fragrances.

Aventus is a big seller in the niche category. It has a huge impact among the fragrance geeks, which are yet a minority. you can't compare it to designer fragrances. I've worn aventus since 2013, when i tell the name, no one knows that fragrance
    To quote others.. "where is your proof?" of these figures.

Also, to you and those who say nobody knows the name Aventus when you tell it to them.. so then they know it, right? They may not own a bottle, but they may remember it and may have been so intrigued by it that they went and bought a bottle themselves. ChuckW's post a few posts up is a perfect example.

It's growing at a very high rate, because it garners so many unsolicited compliments. That's why it's a best seller at some department stores. (If you wanna argue that again, see one of my earlier posts, where I provide the links)

You can doubt that, that's fine, I am not offended by anyone's opinions, just as this topic is subjective, and my thoughts are opinion's too. If you want to contribute and say the same thing that half of the posters are saying, that's fine; but that isn't going to change my mind about what I believe is an Aventus epidemic happening, and growing more and more.

So with that said, for at least the 3rd time. I have gathered the HELPFUL information from this thread, into the next part of the journey. Thank you for that.

First, i talk about France only. Perhaps it's not the same in US or anywhere else in the world

I don't know the exact number, but i know the trends, because i asked them to the salespersons in their shop in Paris. The large majority of their customers are tourists.

I we speak in terms of compliment, Terre d'Hermes or DHI do the job just fine. But most people don't care about compliment/ won't compliment a stranger anyway. That's not a french behavior, we are quite cold with strangers. It happens but it's really rare.

Many (most) people won't pay that much for a fragrance, even if in france it's much cheaper. Not to mention that there is very few stockists/shop and French don't buy online as much as americans, especially not fragrances.

I don't care about changing anyone's opinion, but i do believe i am quite aware of what people like/wear/consume in France. I don't need to have precise number, i can see the main trends simply by living there.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Also, to you and those who say nobody knows the name Aventus when you tell it to them.. so then they know it, right? They may not own a bottle, but they may remember it and may have been so intrigued by it that they went and bought a bottle themselves.
    If someone only knows it because I told them what it was called, then they really don't know it. While you are correct that they may remember it and possibly buy it later, it's also at least as likely that they soon forget, especially if they're not as into fragrances as we are. In fact, I can assure you that one of my coworkers who has asked me about it in the past would not know the name of it if he was asked again--and he's someone who does like fragrances. Most people simply don't care that much.

First, i talk about France only. Perhaps it's not the same in US or anywhere else in the world

I don't know the exact number, but i know the trends, because i asked them to the salespersons in their shop in Paris. The large majority of their customers are tourists.

I we speak in terms of compliment, Terre d'Hermes or DHI do the job just fine. But most people don't care about compliment/ won't compliment a stranger anyway. That's not a french behavior, we are quite cold with strangers. It happens but it's really rare.

Many (most) people won't pay that much for a fragrance, even if in france it's much cheaper. Not to mention that there is very few stockists/shop and French don't buy online as much as americans, especially not fragrances.

I don't care about changing anyone's opinion, but i do believe i am quite aware of what people like/wear/consume in France. I don't need to have precise number, i can see the main trends simply by living there.
    100% true, and I agree with you.

I'm 34, and have been into fragrances since I was very young. My mother used to buy me big bottles of Ralph Lauren Chaps splash on at Kmart because they were always on sale, guess nobody bought them lol. One time I poured a whole bottle down the sink just to get my mom to buy me a new fragrance lol. Now, regretfully, I miss my bottles of Chaps, as they are discontinued and priced far above retail. I was probably about 11 or 12 at the time, ya imagine a kid in 1995 wearing Chaps lol, that was me. After that I remember owning Gravity, and Navy for men.. which propelled me to my high school collection. I wore Tommy often, it was really popular when I was in high school, Polo Sport, Cool Water, Fahrenheit, and Hugo. i always loved Fahrenheit, but I stopped wearing it often as my collection grew, but I always have had a bottle in my collection, for as long as I can remember, this one has been a staple for me, and is what I would consider my signature fragrance.

When I got out of high school and started working full time and going to college part time, I was always getting compliments from people on my fragrances. This was in 2003, I was wearing mostly 212 by CH.. I always got a ton of feedback from it, and started talking to a lot of girls. It was definitely a confidence booster. I remember a couple years later going to the mall with a friend, and we were at the fragrance counter at Macy's which was then called Burdine's here. I wound up buying Polo Double Black, DKNY Be Delicious, DKNY Red Delicious, Dunhill Desire, a big 6.8 oz Fahrenheit, 2 Paris Hilton frags, and a couple others. My tab came to around $800. This was the day I knew I had an addiction. I love fragrances, and I love smelling good. I grew tired of buying frags at the mall, especially if I was gonna buy them often, so I started to go to TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshall's Burlington, etc. I remember getting a bottle of Gucci Envy at Burlington for $20! I hated it at the time I bought it, it was a blind buy, so I gave it to my friends dad. Another thing I am regretting now. Before I knew it, I had 50 or so bottles, a lot of obscure stuff, like I dunno, Parah for men? Most people haven't even heard of it, but it was a gem! What really brought me to BN: There were bottles of Magnetism at TJ Maxx for $25, which for me, was steep back then, especially with a growing collection, I knew I had a buying problem. I bought it anyways, and this was the one that changed it all for me. I couldn't believe the smell. It was like nothing I had ever smelled before, I was astonished, amazed. I ventured out on the internet looking for more wild ones like this, more unorthodox stuff.. that's when I stumbled upon Basenotes from a Google search back in 2009, reading a thread on unique fragrances. I didn't join the site until 2010.

I then found a whole world of people with collections as big as mine, if not far larger, and I felt right at home. Since Basenotes, my fragrance wardrobe has expanded exponentially.

It's funny how you remember certain things, your first car, your first love, you first fragrance. Sorry if I went a little too much into it there.
    Nice! I used to rock Gravity & Navy as a kid too!

One thing I have noticed is a lot of millennials getting into cologne and joining cologne Facebook groups and trying to act all sophisticated because they just LOVE Aventus. It's definitely a cologne that people will bring up to convince others that they know they shit about cologne, when they really don't. It's like bringing up Dom Perignon when talking about champagne. You are really just spewing words to impress people.

One thing I have noticed is a lot of millennials getting into cologne and joining cologne Facebook groups and trying to act all sophisticated because they just LOVE Aventus. It's definitely a cologne that people will bring up to convince others that they know they shit about cologne, when they really don't. It's like bringing up Dom Perignon when talking about champagne. You are really just spewing words to impress people.
    I agree with you. In fact just yesterday I was searching Youtube for all the Aventus reviews, and was somewhat astonished. Many who review it are not fragrance reviewers, who are just "millennials", who follow the latest trends, probably the same crowd who takes Instagram pics of everything including themselves. You know, the same people who are acting busy in the picture, and like somebody else took it, even though they just set their camera to do it.

But this is partially my whole point, about the widespread status of Aventus. While people on here may not wanna believe it, that their Aventus is not so uncommon and "exclusive" as they think, the fact is, that it is, and that is not an opinion, that is a fact. You don't need statistics to know what you see and you smell around you, as Oki pointed out earlier.

You don't need statistics to know what you see and you smell around you, as Oki pointed out earlier.
    Does this apply to anti-vaxxers and the Flat Earth Society as well? Asking for a friend .
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

You don't need statistics to know what you see and you smell around you, as Oki pointed out earlier.
    Yes, but the key phrase there is "what you see and you smell around you". Some people are not as exposed to as much the world as they think, and they end up believing that their world is more representative of the world at large than it really is. And then when that happens, they start making claims about things being "epidemics" when they really aren't and ignoring anyone who presents information that suggests otherwise.

I agree with you. In fact just yesterday I was searching Youtube for all the Aventus reviews, and was somewhat astonished. Many who review it are not fragrance reviewers, who are just "millennials", who follow the latest trends, probably the same crowd who takes Instagram pics of everything including themselves. You know, the same people who are acting busy in the picture, and like somebody else took it, even though they just set their camera to do it.

But this is partially my whole point, about the widespread status of Aventus. While people on here may not wanna believe it, that their Aventus is not so uncommon and "exclusive" as they think, the fact is, that it is, and that is not an opinion, that is a fact. You don't need statistics to know what you see and you smell around you, as Oki pointed out earlier.
    I don't think Aventus is well known with the general public per se, who are more than happy to buy their common colognes at Walmart and department stores, but I think those that are developing interest in cologne and men's grooming products, will ultimately come across the word Aventus sooner or later on social media and will want to be like the cool cologne kids by showing their appreciation for Aventus too.

I know home brew pomade makers that buy dupes of Aventus to put into the pomade just so their hair can kind of smell like Aventus since it is a dupe. I really think they believe Aventus is the ultimate is class and sophistication.

I would think more men have more bottles of fragrance. Are you sure what you have written is true ? SA's say a lot of stuff that is not accurate.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Well again, i didn't make a study, yet I live in Paris so i believe it can be extended to the rest of France. Not that we are superior in any way, yet we dont have many big cities like in US, and most of them has very few "exclusive" shops. Yes they have Sephora and that kind of multi designer brand retailers, but that's it. If you want have the choice in the picking, you have to go in Paris.

That being said, about Paris, i believe i'm financially quite well positioned (i'm not super rich, let's just say money is not really an issue), and my observations are the following :
    - Most grown men believe in the old-fashioned idea that a men need one signature fragrance for life and that's it.
    - Most young men wear fragrances only when they go out, for clubbing etc. It's almost like peacocking. It might sound superficial but most of them see fragrances as a tool to seduce girls and that's it. Not to mention that there is still this limiting belief that in any other circumstances, if people that walk by are able to smell your fragrances, it means you applied too much. It's a girl thing. What might be quite striking is that they dress well on the other hand, but fragrances are not something they would invest in, especially if it has to cost more than ~100€ (even though they have absolutely 0 financial issue). Thus, most of them have one fragrance, two at most and it will be most of the time designers fragrances.
    - Generally speaking for man, there is this belief that it's better to smell nothing, or something very discret (=smell clean). In general we don't like to attract attention in public out of modesty. They few time we talk about it, the majority opinion was that they prefer something "natural", that a girl say "that smell, it's so you" rather than "hey, you smell great today".

Besides (i don't know how to formulate it in english), most of men (and women) who smell too much fragrances are perceived as being vulgar. Like they are trying too much. Matter of fact, many "riff raff" (?) do that.

- Most girls i hang out with who talked about me wearing Aventus, whether they liked it or not (most of them did ), systematically told me that it was original, that they never smelled it before, etc. And it one of the few that got me compliments in the street (most of them actually coming from foreigners/tourists). Really, compliments in the street is something very rare. The first times i didn't even know how to react or how to interpret it ("did i apply too much ?"), even if it's quite satisfying i must admit.

I can also add that we don't have forums as big as basenote (in general i mean, even less for fragrances). If you have a look to fragrantica.fr there is almost no comments.

Lastly, among the "niche" brands that start working pretty well for the 20-35 men and come before Aventus in France (but far behind designer fragrances), i'd say Byredo, ELO, Aqua di Parma. But still, they are quite marginal.

For what it worths, here the top best-sellers in France for 2018. Ranks may vary depending on which site you go on. Names are the same.
    1. Bleu de Chanel EDP
    2. Dior Sauvage
    3. Terre d'Hermès
    4. Dior Eau Sauvage
    5. Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    6. JPG - Le Male
    7. YSL - La Nuit de l'Homme
    8. Paco Rabanne - One Million
    9. Dior Fahrenheit
    10. Dior DHI
    11. Paco Rabanne - Invictus
    12. Guerlain - L'homme Idéal
    13. YSL - L'homme
    14. Azzaro - Wanted
    15. Germain - Habit Rouge
    16. Hermès - Eau d'Orange verte
    17. Hugo Boss - Boss Bottled
    18. Viktor & Rolph - Spicebomb
    19. Armani - Stronger with you
    20. Givenchy - Gentleman EDT

Source : https://www.prime-beaute.com/parfums...us-vendus/2018

Sorry it's a really disorganized post, i hope everything makes sense

Are you serious ?
    You are actually stating that you know what "people on here " are thinking, and that it is " a fact", not your opinion, that they are wrong.
    There comes a point when it's time to cease and desist

That being said, about Paris, i believe i'm financially quite well positioned (i'm not super rich, let's just say money is not really an issue), and my observations are the following :
    - Most grown men believe in the old-fashioned idea that a men need one signature fragrance for life and that's it.
    - Most young men wear fragrances only when they go out, for clubbing etc. It's almost like peacocking. It might sound superficial but most of them see fragrances as a tool to seduce girls and that's it. Not to mention that there is still this limiting belief that in any other circumstances, if people that walk by are able to smell your fragrances, it means you applied too much. It's a girl thing. What might be quite striking is that they dress well on the other hand, but fragrances are not something they would invest in, especially if it has to cost more than ~100€ (even though they have absolutely 0 financial issue). Thus, most of them have one fragrance, two at most and it will be most of the time designers fragrances.
    - Generally speaking for man, there is this belief that it's better to smell nothing, or something very discret (=smell clean). In general we don't like to attract attention in public out of modesty. They few time we talk about it, the majority opinion was that they prefer something "natural", that a girl say "that smell, it's so you" rather than "hey, you smell great today".

Besides (i don't know how to formulate it in english), most of men (and women) who smell too much fragrances are perceived as being vulgar. Like they are trying too much. Matter of fact, many "riff raff" (?) do that.
    Thank you for sharing your observations. I think everything you have said about Paris also applies to large chunks of the male population in most parts of the Western world.
    Currently wearing: Fate Man by Amouage

Aventus is the biggest hit Since GIT came out and feel like Spice and Wood is also a stunner. In facet, my top three at the moment Are Aventus, Spice and Wood, and YSL Y EDP.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Yes, but the key phrase there is "what you see and you smell around you". Some people are not as exposed to as much the world as they think, and they end up believing that their world is more representative of the world at large than it really is. And then when that happens, they start making claims about things being "epidemics" when they really aren't and ignoring anyone who presents information that suggests otherwise.
    How do you know what people do for a living, if they travel the world, maybe as a photographer? Or maybe you just don't get out as much as others might.

Ignoring people going off topic and questioning things, yes! Trying to stick to the thread title question. Sorry I don't sit on BN all day, and can't reply the instant a post goes up, this doesn't mean I am ignoring it.

I won't say how I really feel.. but it's funny how Aventus topics bring all the triggered guys out of the woodwork, the same who I have never once seen post on this forum before. The same who think their opinion is the only thing that matters, and always have to have the last word. That alone tells me the impact Aventus has had on the world.

It just makes me wanna be less and less a part of this forum, when the mods can't distinguish the difference between a contributing member of the forum, and people who are just here to attack others. So at this point, I am abandoning this thread.. if you guys wanna keep the discussion going, enjoy. I have gathered the information I needed, not very much, but those who have helped I appreciate it. Those who can understand what HYPOTHETICAL means, based on context, without me having to explain it, kudos to you. better yet, I am gonna ask a mod to close this thread, because at this point, it's just becoming ridiculous. Hopefully some of you won't mind if I message you personally, with some questions about older fragrances that have made the same impact that Aventus has made.

Basenotes Plus

Hmmm...
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Hmmm...
    For clarity... The way the thread kept going back and forth seemed like it was just spinning its wheels and going nowhere. It made me think of the scene in Airplane when the guy would force his life's story on passenger after passenger and they'd get so bored they'd commit suicide. My post wasn't directed at any one individual but the direction things headed.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

The OP has requested the thread be closed.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.