Code of Conduct

Default Can someone name a women's perfume with a noticeable cherry or sweet almond note? Please?

Hi everyone!

So, I was having a conversation with my mom, and she was telling me that one of the nicest smelling perfumes she has ever found (nicest smelling to her, and probably also to me lol) was one that she once discovered years ago (when she was a kid) while out shopping at the mall one day with her mom. (My grandmother.)
    And, unfortunately, she can't remember what it was called or the name on the bottle or anything lol.
    But...she does clearly remember that it had a dominant cherry (or maybe sweet almond) note, and it definitely came in a square bottle. I think she said red square bottle, actually, but the bottle was definitely a square. Not sure what the price range of the perfume was.
    Also, it was one that definitely existed in the 1970's.
    I say the perfume smelled like cherry or sweet almond, because to my nose (and probably to my mom's too) almond has sort of a cherry-like smell. Or..at least I smell sweet almond scented things and cherry is often the first thing that pops into my mind. There's some association with it, not sure if it smells that way to everyone! lol
    But..I'm 100 percent certain that's the type of note my mom is talking about. I know because it smells like that to me too.

Anyway..I've tried googling this and looking it up on Fragrantica, and I'm not quite sure. I was wondering if anyone here maybe has any idea what perfume that might be? (And yes, I know a big problem is that one perfume can smell different ways to different people too lol.)
    But..can anyone even think of kind of a sweet smelling perfume that existed in the 1970's that came in a red square bottle? (Or square bottle?)
    Thanks everyone.

Default Re: Can someone name a women's perfume with a noticeable cherry or sweet almond note? Please?

The obvious red square bottle of the time was Lauren by Ralph Lauren but I don't think it smells anything like you describe.

Might you be thinking of heliotrope?
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Default Re: Can someone name a women's perfume with a noticeable cherry or sweet almond note? Please?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    The obvious red square bottle of the time was Lauren by Ralph Lauren but I don't think it smells anything like you describe.

Might you be thinking of heliotrope?
    Oh, good call! That was probably the one she was talking about! I can't remember if I've smelled it before or not! It's not one I always see out on the counter when I go to test perfume. I'll need to find it and see what it's like. And yes, apparently according to Fragrantica it has a very dominant lilac note (or maybe it's supposed to be heliotrope, I have no idea what it's official note listing was.) Also, lily-of-the valley and rose. (And carnation.) I find that to me, some rose perfumes have sort of a cherry like note too, but like I said, i need to find this one and see how it actually smells. I strongly suspect it's probably the one she meant though. Thanks. (It was officially first released in 1978 though, so I think she was actually 19 at the time.)

Basenotes Plus

Lauren, is what I was just thinking of, too. I no longer recall what it smelled of - it's been too long.

Basenotes Plus

It's almost certainly the original Lauren by Ralph Lauren, created by Bernard Chant in 1977. Show your mother this article about its 40th anniversary and see if the ads or bottles ring any bells with her.

https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Ori...ren-10744.html

Lauren was a soft woody chypre with definite fruity notes, which you may be interpreting as cherry.

Here is my bottle, and also a promotional leaflet I have from 1980 (which appears blurry because it's still in its original waxed paper envelope).

fragLaurenRalphLaurenOriginalBottleAndBox.jpg

Lauren_TrueVintage_ProperLabel_WarnerNOTCosmair.jpg

fragLaurenRalphLaurenPriceCard1980s_1front.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was looking this up and it seems that this particular perfume ("Lauren" by Ralph Lauren) was discontinued? Either that, or it's just not available in Canada anymore? lol It isn't listed for sale online on the official Ralph Lauren website (Canada), or online for a few of the stores that are points of sale for Ralph Lauren.

I was just wondering: what other women's perfumes would you say smell similar to "Lauren?" (If any.) There are a few listed on Fragrantica, (that some people think are similar) I'm just wondering if you can list any others?

Lost Cherry by Tom Ford?
    I know thats not your mom saw in the mall, but your subject was asking about perfumes that smell like cherry.
    www.impressiveBliss.com Uncut, strong and rich body oils and perfumes. Great impressions of fine fragrances.

For almond, Antico Caruso by Profumum is worth trying.

Banned

Hypnotic Poison is the first one that springs to mind when I think of sweet almonds.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Freed from BN Institution

One that comes to mind Guerlain Tonka Imperiale. It has as a very sweet tonka bean, almond accord.

Then there's of course Thierry Mugler Pure Havane. Cherry honey tobacco scent.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Iris Ganache by Guerlain

Among others, also adding Yves Rocher Cerisier en Fleurs and L'Occitane Cerisier Rouge, among the very affordable options, Serge Lutens Chypre Rouge (although this one being more like a powerhouse chypre with a faint, remote cherry and/or cherry pipe tobacco note) among the pricier ones

Blog Entries

In order to get the same effect as ‘Lauren’ look for something with heliotrope, green violet leaf, carnation, mandarine, oak moss and vetiver. Oddly the Fragrantica post doesn’t mention heliotrope or green violet leaf but I distinctly remember them in the original juice. This is a holy grail scent for many people. Sadly lost to time. Don’t fall victim to those companies that promise to match lost scents. They don’t work.
    Last edited by kumquat; 23rd January 2019 at 06:49 PM.

Serge Lutens Louve has a cherry almond aroma. Notes: almond, fruity notes ,musk, jasmine, rose, amber, vanilla, resin
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    In order to get the same effect as ‘Lauren’ look for something with heliotrope, green violet leaf, carnation, mandarine, oak moss and vetiver. Oddly the Fragrantica post doesn’t mention heliotrope or green violet leaf but I distinctly remember them in the original juice. This is a holy grail scent for many people. Sadly lost to time. Don’t fall victim to those companies that promise to match lost scents. They don’t work.
    Interestingly, I only just realized that Salvador Dali Pour Homme pretty much has those notes! XD Except, it has geranium they say..not carnation. I only just found that out purely by accident! Interestingly, I just ordered a sample of it too! XD (Even before I realized it's note pyramid!) That's weird! XD
    No one that I know of says that Salvador Dali Pour Homme smells remotely similar to "Lauren" by Ralph Lauren though! (And honestly..I kind of think that would be surreal! lol) 5 people on Fragrantica say they think "Lauren" smells similar to "Un Air de First" by Van Cleef and Arpels, and another 5 people on Fragrantica say "Lauren" smells similar to "Truly Gracious" by Kate Spade New York! One person said it was similar to the original "Private Collection" by Estee Lauder. Many people say they smelled green notes in "Lauren" more than anything else. (Although it has lots of floral notes listed as heart notes.) "Truly Gracious" from Kate Spade is actually supposed to be purely a green note perfume. (Not floral.) I ordered a bottle of "Truly Gracious" anyway to see if I like it! (Regardless of if it smells like "Lauren" or not!)
    Not sure if you agree with those scent comparisons or not. I really don't know "Lauren" by Ralph Lauren so I couldn't say!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDragonFire View Post
    I was just wondering: what other women's perfumes would you say smell similar to "Lauren?" (If any.) There are a few listed on Fragrantica, (that some people think are similar) I'm just wondering if you can list any others?
    Bois de Jasmine's post on Lauren has many suggestions for replacements, and the commenters there had even more:

https://boisdejasmin.com/2012/06/ral...me-review.html

Kumquat is quite right about the heliotrope and green violet leaf in Lauren -- that greenness is what gave it so much more freshness and green snap than you usually find in kaleidoscopic florals.

It was lovely, and I miss it. The current version isn't worth bending over to pick up if you found it lying in the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Bois de Jasmine's post on Lauren has many suggestions for replacements, and the commenters there had even more:

https://boisdejasmin.com/2012/06/ral...me-review.html

Kumquat is quite right about the heliotrope and green violet leaf in Lauren -- that greenness is what gave it so much more freshness and green snap than you usually find in kaleidoscopic florals.

It was lovely, and I miss it. The current version isn't worth bending over to pick up if you found it lying in the street.
    Oh thank you Cook Bot! Oddly, after I saw this article (that you posted the link to) I had a weird feeling of Deja Vu! XD I think I may have read that one before at some point. Oddly, maybe I just forgot about it! It was probably a while ago!
    I kind of seem to vaguely remember "Amazone" by Hermes. It sounds familiar anyway. I'll need to see if I can find it when I go out at some point. That, and the Frederic Malle one they mention too!
    I see that, clearly, "Lauren" must have originally been a fruity-floral perfume! So..I strongly suspect it probably is the one my mom was talking about!
    I understand what the confusion is now, anyway. Apparently, they actually did re-formulate this one, for real! Which is why everyone on Fragrantica now says it's a green scent! The author of this article mentions this too. The modern version of it that you can apparently still buy at some select retailers that carry the Ralph Lauren line, is actually a "soft green floral", as the author says. So that explains that.

I have a couple of other questions. One question is: how similar is "Ralph" by Ralph Lauren, to "Lauren?" I only ask because the author of the article keeps mentioning a "green apple" note (or apple note anyway.) And melon and/or peach. And.."Ralph" definitely has a very dominant green apple top note (and/or maybe pear) that I can smell a lot! And, then, later it develops and changes to sweet white florals and magnolia (or something like that.) And..the author's written description here makes me think of that! So..yeah..just wondering.

My other question was: how similar is/was the original "Lauren" to something like Armani "Si" or Armani "Si Passione?" I'm asking because the author also keeps mentioning cassis as a note like crazy too, and/or berries. And Armani's "Si Passione" definitely has the cassis top note as well! I think the original "Si" does too. And..when I read the note listing for "Amazone" by Hermes..just looking at the written note listing alone, I kind of thought of those perfumes too! Just curious.

Interestingly, as an aside, Ralph Lauren does have a women's perfume that is very cherry scented as well, but it's actually the Ralph Lauren Big Pony collection for women perfume in #4.

Basenotes Plus

Orgasmo by Hilde Soliani - almond, amaretto liqueur accord
    Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 9.21.37 PM.jpg
    Currently wearing: Lys 41 by Le Labo

Basenotes Plus

Una Tira l'Altra by Hilde Soliani - cherry
    Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 9.22.52 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Kitty2Shoes; 28th January 2019 at 02:30 AM. Reason: stupid spellcheck
    Currently wearing: Lys 41 by Le Labo

Basenotes Plus

I have a couple of other questions. One question is: how similar is "Ralph" by Ralph Lauren, to "Lauren?"

My other question was: how similar is/was the original "Lauren" to something like Armani "Si" or Armani "Si Passione?"
    To my nose, not similar at all to the "Ralph", and I'm not familiar with the two Armanis.

I actually bought a sample bottle of "Truly Gracious" by Kate Spade New York, and, to my nose, it smells exactly like the note listing given for "Lauren" by Ralph Lauren on Fragrantica! (That is: base notes of cedar, vetiver, oakmoss, sandalwood and carnation, heart notes of cyclamen, violet, lilac (or heliotrope), jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, and rose, and top notes of rosewood, green notes, sage and pineapple, or citrus.)
    I can't recall if I've smelled "Lauren" or not, I may have ages ago at some point. But Kate Spade's "Truly Gracious" smells, to my nose, exactly how I imagine the listed note combination should smell! It does remind me of something that should be a Ralph Lauren fragrance like crazy too!
    It also makes me think of at least a couple of Bath and Body works fragrances, like White Citrus, or, there was a Fresh Rain scent (or something like that) that it smells like like crazy too! (Or Summer Rain..can't remember what it was called.) It is very fresh and green, but it has a lot of floral sweetness too, although it's definitely a fresh floral. And..definitely it has a lot of fruity notes that I can definitely smell too which seem a lot like citrus, but could also include something like melon, or also pineapple. I think i would categorize it as a green floral or fresh floral though, not fruity floral so much. In any case..I really love this perfume (the Kate Spade one) it's really nice! I would also say it's fairly linear too though. :/ It doesn't really seem to have much of a pyramid structure.

Heliotrope Blanc by L.T. Piver has a cherry/almond vibe.
    It is easily available online. It has a squarish-shaped bottle and red writing so
    just an idea it may be the one you are looking for.

heliotrope.jpg
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

By the way, I think I've solved the mystery! XD

I'm really pretty sure my mom was probably talking about the Leeming-Pacquin "Skinny Dip" cologne sprays in both the strawberry and lemon scents that were originally released in stores in 1970! XD She said "smelled like cherry candy" but I think the scent was actually marketed and labelled as "strawberry." (It occurred to me later that maybe she meant a berry note! I just wasn't sure which to search! lol!) I have reached this conclusion because she said she was talking about one scent that smelled like cherry candy, and it came in kind of a red and square(ish) bottle! And, she mentioned another one she liked that also smelled like lemon! Now, at first I thought for sure she must have meant Love's Fresh Lemon Scent by Dana, because..I really didn't think there was another one from that same time period! But..I finally searched other notes including "strawberry" on Fragrantica, and I finally came across the Skinny Dip scents! And..I saw the pic..and they looked 1970's like crazy! XD And..the bottle I would say is more rectangular(ish)..not really square but whatevs. It's not really round..I get it! But..the strawberry one is definitely really red! And..they had both the strawberry and lemon scents! And..really importantly..my mom mentioned that these were a scent that was sold at the drug store! So..yeah..I really think these are what she meant! That's kind of funny actually! XD I suspect these were probably discontinued a while back (unfortunately..maybe lol.) Still..I'm sort of surprised if no one except my mom and aunts remembers them! lol XD

Thanks for the perfume recommendations too guys! These look great!

I was looking this up and it seems that this particular perfume ("Lauren" by Ralph Lauren) was discontinued? Either that, or it's just not available in Canada anymore? lol It isn't listed for sale online on the official Ralph Lauren website (Canada), or online for a few of the stores that are points of sale for Ralph Lauren.

¨
    possible similars (just based on the cherry/almond type note):
    Etro Heliotrope (I like this one) http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122394.html
    Olfactive Studio Close Up (very sweet and very cherry-like)