Code of Conduct

Default What perfumes seem hot, passionate or fiery to you?

Here is another question, kind of the polar opposite of one that was just recently asked.
    What perfumes (or men's colognes) can you think of that you might describe as "passionate" or "fiery" fragrances, that maybe remind you of a very bright, flaming red?
    What seems "hot" to you? (Not just "hot" as in "sexy", but also as in the polar opposite of the frigid cold "spectral" dark green type of fragrance?)
    What makes you think of fire?
    Off the top of my head, at the moment, I'm not sure I can answer my own question, I actually need to think about it for a while! XD
    I was wondering if anyone else knows of some fragrances that they think give off that type of impression though?

Default Re: What perfumes seem hot, passionate or fiery to you?

This might be a weird one, but Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille reminds me of something burning. It's...like a burning vanilla? haha

Would buy a candle of this, but I wouldn't wear it personally!
    Currently wearing: Bal d'Afrique by Byredo

Hmmm. I'll need some time to think on this subject, specifically the "fire" aspect. However, I will present the idea that a soft gourmand with sweet lady-like tones can be quite "hot". One that my wife owns is Bond No. 9 New Orleans. Not the black bottle that was, in 2009, marketed to men and now is listed as unisex but instead the purple Swarovski crystaled bottle which was marketed to women. When I purchased it for her, it indeed was made more feminine by a bit more cassis, lily of the valley, vanilla and a kiss of soft suede like amber. There's just enough cinnamon to spice things and wake a man up. It feels sweet but has a bit of raunchy hints to make one wonder if he's about to snuggle a lady or a woman on a mission. Vroom-vroom. Woo.

She has a few other scents that are quite intoxicating (perhaps even more so) but I'll not kiss and tell on those. However a sweet/touch of fruit/bit of spice/hint of something strong in the base (patchouli or leather, mmm leather)/vanilla can be added or not... seems to work for me.

Fracas is definitely passionate and hot-probably more bright pink than bright red. But Germaine Cellier could certainly do big and bold.

Also the neon, damascone roses of the 70s-80s, like Sinan or Nombre Noir.

cacio

Freed from BN Institution

Marc Jacobs Bang as one example.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Deleted
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

It's all a bit subjective, but Terre D'Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver has a very warm, almost glowing vibe to it owing to the vetiver and Sichuan pepper. I don't consider it a winter frag per say, but I get a pleasant if not entirely subjective heat to it in my recent wearings.

Blog Entries

Obsession, Opium & Cinnabar all smell hot, spicy & passionate to me.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Basenotes Junkie

Xerjoff Gao. The amped-up saffron gives a 'hot' feel to it. Reminds me of sitting in a hot sauna and taking a deep breath in through one's nose. Same thing with Tauer L'air du Desert Marocain (or Mancera Sand Aoud), it comes across hot/dusty, almost as if you've turned a radiator on for the first time in a few months. I know the descriptions aren't the most appetising but this is how these sing out to me.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Sometimes oud In scents gives me the impression of radiating heat, like in Songe d’un Bois d’Ete. More hot coals or smoldering embers than leaping flames.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I agree with Darjeeling's statement above! Areej le Doree's Russian Oud smells like sitting almost too close by a crackling fireplace feels to me.
    Currently wearing: Prima T by Bruno Acampora

Viking

I just wanted to add that IMO/E it has a lot to do with the person wearing the fragrance as well. Intamacy is typically seeing a different side of someone's personality. When a very strong personality reserves something a bit lighter and sweeter, almost delicate, for close moments it can be a really great psychological game and alluring af. Same principle in opposition works tremendously for someone small or delicate in personality. Go large and in charge. In contrast a loud and boisterous person don't need to wear a matching scent for snuggle time or it's just too much, like assault. And if you're quiet and reserved, wearing a matching fragrance (while not as bad as the other way) may not be exciting enough. There's not a one size fits all here, although some people are so blessed they roll in mud and still be attractive. Interesting to read all the thoughts. Good thread.

L'artisans Tea for two has cinnamon and ginger notes which brings that hot feeling to me.

Serge Lutens Amber Sultan also.

Classic colognes with well done citrus rose combo could go that way.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Guerlain SAMSARA.

Somehow this alluring scent, the bottle’s shade of red, the name, the marketing, etc just come together and spell ‘RED HOT passion’ in my mind...

I smell something

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Exactly what I was coming here to say.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Eau D'Hermes for me.
    Currently wearing: Montecristo by Masque

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    These were exactly what I thought of too, I was just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were?
    These are all really good answers! Thanks guys!
    I definitely agree with "Ambre Sultan" by Serge Lutens too BTW. That one always made me think of fire and smoke as well!

Basenotes Plus

it would be wonderful if there could be a perfume that really was hot, passionate and fiery...

I suppose in some contexts. If my wife wears Shalimar, to me she is hot, passionate and fiery, but she is to me anyway. Likewise, someone else wearing a perfume, well she isn't hot, passionate and fiery no matter what.

Comme des Garcons Parfum. It's brilliant red supernova of spice/clove, hot herbals, and honey.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Creed

Basenotes Plus

A weird, vintage from Yardley called "You're the Fire."

Definitely a deep, almost "flaming" oriental that is almost overwhelming to wear.

Among the feminine ones- most fragrances with opulent, classic florals, thus covering a quite vast array of both Chanel and Guerlain basics, vintage Feminite du Bois but also newer releases with a strong and sensual floral component like Arlesienne and, if also allowing for some warmer, smoother vanilla, Terre de Lumiere, the latter two by l'Occitane

Among the masculines- again, some floral notes, this time in male iterations but nevertheless with some androgyny as with Habit Rouge, Ungaro II and III, to name only a few, may be included once more, but also the darker, more mysterious male powerhouses, often with a leather note, like Antaeus, Fahrenheit, vintage Trussardi Uomo, Esencia Loewe, Salvador Dali pour Homme, vintage Derby, Floris Elite and, at the crossover with male florals, Furyo
    Currently wearing: Derrick by Orlane

Gucci Rush - a hot floral. This smells really warm. It reminds me of hot summer nights.
    Otherwise:
    Opium - heady opulent
    Samsara
    Feminine du bois

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    A weird, vintage from Yardley called "You're the Fire."

Definitely a deep, almost "flaming" oriental that is almost overwhelming to wear.
    Oh boy - what memories that brings back. 1968, watching the Monkees on TV, seeing ads for Yardley's "Slicker" lipsticks in the box shaped like a double decker bus!

And yes, "You're the Fire" - it was a little out of my range at the time, full of adult mystery and allure. That was in the days when perfume itself signified an entry into the adult world. Smelled it in stores, though I didn't know anyone who wore it. I would bet it had a trace of oud in it, definitely some solid resin and spice notes.

My own votes for this category: Gem by Van Cleef and Arpels, Or Noir by Pascal Morabito, and a +1 for Eau d'Hermes. And of course Genghis Khan by Marc de la Morandiere.

House of Sillage - No. 001 (Oud, amber, cinnamon, tonka, ginger, clove, vanilla, mahogany, cedar)
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Eleventh Hour by Byredo

Splash Forte by Iunx.
    I wore it outdoors in winter to feel warmer.
    Their description:

Friction de Iunx Splash Forte (Strong Splash) is "Like a sip of a fiery spirit, Splash Forte is a musky, scarlet elixir jazzed up with red spices. A great unisex fragrance."

L'Air du Desert Marocain. It reminds me of the dry heat in a wood-burning sauna.

Animalic bases tend to radiate “warmth” to me. First example that comes to mind is Dior Leather Oud, where the honey, civet, and spices create a palpable feeling of body heat. I get some of that effect in Absolue Pour le Soir, and certainly it’s glowing away in Kouros, though there the soapy crisp florals have the effect of cooling the heat.
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis