Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Madhat Scents is very under-rated

Just purchased Palo Santo and Rosa Resin. Can’t wait to try them. Thanks to everyone on here for the reviews and recommendations as always.

Basenotes Plus

Wearing the newest release, Fields of Provence. It is a complex, dry, lavender fragrance that I am really loving. It was released on his site in a limited quantity. A few left last I checked. Very highly reccommend!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    Wearing the newest release, Fields of Provence. It is a complex, dry, lavender fragrance that I am really loving. It was released on his site in a limited quantity. A few left last I checked. Very highly reccommend!
    Waiting on this one

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    The Piña one unfortunately didn’t work on me, something in it didn’t work with my skin chemistry. I am not good at identifying notes, but there is a note in it that I’ve smelled in other scents that never works for me, sadly.
    Same for me with Pina.

I think Ash and Rose would work for me with a different wood note. I like the ash and rose, but not the woods. Maybe that wood note has to be part of it to get the ash effect?

Basenotes Institution

I didn't know anything about this. Thanks for the tip!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Carré Blanc by The Zoo

The ashy-wood accord is super simple. It's made up of TRACE birch tar and cade and gaiac heart, wood 49 (robertet.) The tobacco absolute I used is quite strong as well and has some woody characteristics that contributes to the overall accord. Birch and cade are pretty polarizing even when used in small traces I'm guessing one of them is to blame as they're pretty dry. I considered using Texas cedar in lieu of wood 49 but I really enjoyed the smokey pencil shavings of wood 49.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Same for me with Pina.

I think Ash and Rose would work for me with a different wood note. I like the ash and rose, but not the woods. Maybe that wood note has to be part of it to get the ash effect?

Basenotes Plus

Wearing it as well! Just a spectacular scent!

Basenotes Institution

I blind bought Fields of Provence. I look forward to smelling it when it arrives.

In other news, Pina gives me an annoying headache every time I wear it. This has happened before, with a few non-Madhat scents so I will give my bottle to a BN buddy who loves this line. I'm sort of bummed about it - since I love the scent.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I got my bottle of Fields of Provence in yesterday and I'm giving it a full wearing today. I must say I'm very impressed with what Ryan has accomplished here. While upon purchasing it I assumed it would be all lav all day, it develops quite nicely. While it starts off with a punch of lavender sure to satisfy any lover of the material, it soon reveals a beautiful hay note that emparts an almost animalic vibe to the fragrance. As it dries, the hay stays present with a clever addition of spicy, dry carrot seed. I'm in the base of the fragrance now, and I detect an almost "grassy" note too, which feels particularly apt given the inspiration for the fragrance.

Overall, this is immediately one of my favorite MadHat fragrances. If this is indicative of any sort of directional shift by Ryan, I'm on board!

Also the new bottle is great. Excellent sprayer.
    Currently wearing: Intense Cafe by Montale

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I got my bottle of Fields of Provence in yesterday and I'm giving it a full wearing today. I must say I'm very impressed with what Ryan has accomplished here. While upon purchasing it I assumed it would be all lav all day, it develops quite nicely. While it starts off with a punch of lavender sure to satisfy any lover of the material, it soon reveals a beautiful hay note that emparts an almost animalic vibe to the fragrance. As it dries, the hay stays present with a clever addition of spicy, dry carrot seed. I'm in the base of the fragrance now, and I detect an almost "grassy" note too, which feels particularly apt given the inspiration for the fragrance.

Overall, this is immediately one of my favorite MadHat fragrances. If this is indicative of any sort of directional shift by Ryan, I'm on board!

Also the new bottle is great. Excellent sprayer.
    My friend above and I decided to split the bottle and are wearing FOP jointly today.

The bombastic top is a blast of lavender with nuances of hay and musk.
    In the deeper drydown, I experience a fougere-like accord of coumarin-doused hay, dry grasses, violet-tinged lavenders and just a kiss of sunny musk. The treatment of hay and dried grasses results in a pillowing wave of comfort.

I've been to Central and Southern France and... look, France gets enough attention. It's great, but it feels like an injustice to Fields of Provence to simply affirm that the fragrance is reminiscent of its namesake.

I've noticed that place seems to figure pretty prominently in Ryan's creations, either purposefully or incidentally: the creator-professed ties to Cuba with Skiff, and to... was it Indonesia? Burma? With Aum Oud (which I still need to try); East India with Mysore Lime; Eastern Arizona with Palo Santo (another I've been meaning to try); of course France + Ryan's own home near Illinois prairielands with the present creation. Rosa Resin makes me think of Western Massachusetts for whatever reason (I went to college out there, and their autumn smells akin in some abstract way, not that this was Ryan's intention).

Anyway, I wouldn't say you must love lavender to wear this. Sure, Lav-lovers will swoon over the exquisite varieties present in this, but for me, the drydown is equally worth it for any romanticizer of pastoral living.

Echoing OctaVarium's feelings, I feel FOP is one of the best from Ryan we've seen. I'm going to write him that he should firmly consider adding this to his regular lineup, if even on a sporadic, limited basis.
    "Creating perfume is the closest one can get to practicing alchemy"

Basenotes Institution

I loved it when I wore it yesterday. I admire Ryan's work but this really hits the sweet spot for me. I love lavender and this really showcases the note in a fascinating study...with a quiet intensity to the other supporting notes. I can't wait for this scent to age and really grown on me. I am thrilled I bought this.

I also own a bottle of SantL, Limed and Royk - all of which are disco'd. I also recently went through two bottles of Mysore Lime. This bottle of Fields of Provence is definitely the best sprayer of all of them I own - a few from my collection I've had to re-decant into another atomizer to get them to spray.

I look forward to wearing this more and giving it a full proper review.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Man...Ive been trying to not buy any fragrances this month, but you guys have talked fields of providence too much so I snagged the last bottle

I have a lot of anxiety so I am hoping to use this at night to help me sleep

Quote Originally Posted by succio View Post
    Man...Ive been trying to not buy any fragrances this month, but you guys have talked fields of providence too much so I snagged the last bottle

I have a lot of anxiety so I am hoping to use this at night to help me sleep
    I ordered this yesterday evening when it said last bottle left also. It is still showing up as last bottle left on the website. Not sure how many are really left.
    I haven't tried anything from Madhat but looking forward to this. Leather and Smoke looks intriguing too.

It's hard to tell when you're nearing the bottom of the cask how much volume is remaining because the base is convex. There really is only one left now as I was able to pull another 34ml this morning into a bottle. Cask is empty now.

I appreciate everyone's support on basenotes! Hope you enjoy Fields of Provence AZsmells & succio.

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    I ordered this yesterday evening when it said last bottle left also. It is still showing up as last bottle left on the website. Not sure how many are really left.
    I haven't tried anything from Madhat but looking forward to this. Leather and Smoke looks intriguing too.

Well I went to order the last Fields of Provence, because I'm greedy and wanted a backup. Ryan, that's one mean fragrance. I love your treatment of lavender in Le Chance and its use in Piña. This is another level. Echoing earlier comments, if you can recreate it, I'll want a large quantity.

I digress... What's up with this Leather and Smoke I just ordered? Is this like Fur but heavier on leather? Love the smoke disclaimer, btw...

Very excited to try Fields of Provence! MadHat rules!
    Currently wearing: Myths Man by Amouage

It is so hard to describe my own stuff but as I wrote to another basenoter...The leather note is a combination of supple lux leather and suede at least that's how I think it smells and the dry down consists of birch tar, cade, gaiacwood, berries, mellow musk and amber. Like most of my stuff it's going to be completely different than anything else you've tried in the genre. I'd liken this to wearing a new expensive leather jacket to a campfire...roasting some marshmallows while wearing an amber fragrance.. in my own inspiration for this...I wore a musky amber fragrance out to my parent's place last year in early fall when temperatures were really dropping and several neighbors along with my parent's were burning wood from their fireplaces I remember how magical it smelled...the dry burning wood and the warm amber fragrance I was wearing wafted to my nose. I thought to myself...damn...this would make an incredible fragrance. I don't think I was able to get remotely close because the natural smell is divine. But I tried to get close and this is what I came up with!

It's not remotely close to Fur...which...more to come on that in early winter!

Quote Originally Posted by krooze View Post
    Well I went to order the last Fields of Provence, because I'm greedy and wanted a backup. Ryan, that's one mean fragrance. I love your treatment of lavender in Le Chance and its use in Piña. This is another level. Echoing earlier comments, if you can recreate it, I'll want a large quantity.

NOT like Fur at all. More on that in early winter

I digress... What's up with this Leather and Smoke I just ordered? Is this like Fur but heavier on leather? Love the smoke disclaimer, btw...

I wish there were samples of the limited stuff. I'm 50/50 so far on Madhat. Ash and Rose, Rosa Resin are phenomenal. Skiff and Palo Santo not so much. It's hard to blind buy full bottles, and not possibly not like them, then try to sell them.

Does the new one have similarities to TRex?

Samples posted earlier today for Leather & Smoke. I can't offer samples of the limited stuff unfortunately - I only made 400ml of Fields of Provence and it was gone within a week.

Quote Originally Posted by bl00drunzcold View Post
    I wish there were samples of the limited stuff. I'm 50/50 so far on Madhat. Ash and Rose, Rosa Resin are phenomenal. Skiff and Palo Santo not so much. It's hard to blind buy full bottles, and not possibly not like them, then try to sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Samples posted earlier today for Leather & Smoke. I can't offer samples of the limited stuff unfortunately - I only made 400ml of Fields of Provence and it was gone within a week.
    Cool. I didn't see a sample option for Leather and smoke but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough

Basenotes Plus

Excited for my bottle of Leather & Smoke to land!!!

I had meant to post it last night but didn't get to it until this morning. For Leather & Smoke, I'll be offering a 34ml bottle size only and 3ml samples.

Quote Originally Posted by bl00drunzcold View Post
    Cool. I didn't see a sample option for Leather and smoke but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough

Tease me more lol I'm happy with everything I get from you, dude. This new one sounds fantastic, can't wait to try it out. I'm in the market for a leather jacket this year, too.

Can't wait for this one to get in!

Basenotes Plus

Ordered a bottle. Sounds wonderful.

Dependent

Just received my bottle of Ash & Rose, literally and did a single spray on my wrist. The ash opening was interesting, but didn't last too long which is okay with me. Looking forward to seeing how it develops throughout the evening. I bought it for my GF, but I think I'll keep it for myself and let her have a spray or two when I want to smell it on someone else.
    Currently wearing: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    It is so hard to describe my own stuff but as I wrote to another basenoter...The leather note is a combination of supple lux leather and suede at least that's how I think it smells and the dry down consists of birch tar, cade, gaiacwood, berries, mellow musk and amber. Like most of my stuff it's going to be completely different than anything else you've tried in the genre. I'd liken this to wearing a new expensive leather jacket to a campfire...roasting some marshmallows while wearing an amber fragrance.. in my own inspiration for this...I wore a musky amber fragrance out to my parent's place last year in early fall when temperatures were really dropping and several neighbors along with my parent's were burning wood from their fireplaces I remember how magical it smelled...the dry burning wood and the warm amber fragrance I was wearing wafted to my nose. I thought to myself...damn...this would make an incredible fragrance. I don't think I was able to get remotely close because the natural smell is divine. But I tried to get close and this is what I came up with!

It's not remotely close to Fur...which...more to come on that in early winter!
    Would you compare the smoke note in Leather & Smoke to the smoke note in your disco'd scent Royk?

-- Eckhart Tolle

I went ahead and blind bought Leather & Smoke given my past purchases with MadHat and my love for smokey fragrances. It seemed like a safe blind buy for me, although I rarely blind buy anymore. I've not regretted any of my MadHat purchases with my favorites being Vert Moss, Fur, Palo Santo Plateau, and Ash & Roses.

Welp i am 3/3 with madhat after trying fields of provence

Great lavender scent

Just really decided to start exploring these scents. Been looking through the website and now I need to go back and check out this thread from the beginning.

I wore Fields of Provence today and enjoyed it immensely! Incredibly fresh, sharp and amazing, but also tranquility in a bottle...I love many lavender fragrances, but none more than Fields of Provence. Excellent work as usual by the talented Rynegne!
    Currently wearing: Myths Man by Amouage

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast